Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sipherwoods View Post
    Guess ill work on getting some backstabber and use pdk in the meanwhile, probly be 2-3 weeks before shes 20 again anyway, so plenty of time, maybe a pair of bracers will pop up. Thanks for the info
    Golden Guile is good easy to get alternative for deception. Works from 18 as well.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    Noyellowbar managed 2k dps in that EE DA video on the end boss. So there is a high water mark to reach.
    I have an updated version of that run by now that has a even faster Turigulon beatdown . Unfortunatly I can't see the bosses HP anymore since my monster manual reset from server transfer.

Can't see how the Santa's little Slayer build could be less DPS though.
    Centered Kensai uberness is hard to beat.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    I have an updated version of that run by now that has a even faster Turigulon beatdown . Unfortunatly I can't see the bosses HP anymore since my monster manual reset from server transfer.

Can't see how the Santa's little Slayer build could be less DPS though.
    Centered Kensai uberness is hard to beat.
    Nice. 500-700 dps used to be good dps....

In fact that was when Epic DA was around.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    Golden Guile is good easy to get alternative for deception. Works from 18 as well.
    I personally wouldn't want to devote an entire slot just for improved deception, but since this build now utilizes UMD the epic golden guile also offers exc cha skills and a yellow slot, so it's not a bad choice. Of course if you use this for the neck slot you need to fit in at least fortification somewhere else even if you decide not to use a GS HP item.
    White Feather Sniper: dps focused, 62DC paralyzing arrows human ranged ranger/The Divine Cuisinart: human tempest in divine crusader/Hassan's Assassin: 81DC halfling assassin/The Count of Monte Cristo: human swashbuckler/Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer
    Abandoned builds: Totally Bass Ackwards/Santa's Little Slayer

I finally TRed into this build a few days ago and am having a lot of fun with it. The survivability is excellent, much better than the pure fighter that I was. I just need to cope with the fact that I am an elf named Greytusk.

I'm making minor adjustments to the build as I go along. I swapped point blank shot and cleave since I will actually use cleave earlier. It's handy when surrounded by a group of mobs, which is common at the lower levels.

I decided to go centered with wraps for the early levels. I will probably switch to dual wielding at level 12 when greensteel becomes available. I still haven't decided if I'll go with shortswords to stay centered or rapiers. Rapiers have the better crit profile and the elf enhancements, but shortswords can use the 10% offhand chance from shintao as well as the elemental attacks and the other benefits of being centered. Rapiers seem like they will be higher dps overall so I'm leaning towards them, but I've still got a few levels to think about it.

I put my first two level up stat points into str (need 2 points in str for overwhelming crit anyway) since str and dex are so close in the early levels and it is not so easy or advantageous to get dex for damage at that point. I am running in fire stance for now since the benefits of earth and wind are minimal at this point.

As soon as I was able (12 APs) I picked up the greater dragonmark and love it. I just hit level 6 today and got extend so I can pretty much have it on throughout an entire quest since they go so quickly at those levels. Before extend I was just more selective about when to use it but pretty much had it available for any important battles. Beyond that enhancement, I've basically just gone for the offhand attack chance from tempest and shintao. That seems to be the biggest dps increase available for now.
    White Feather Sniper: dps focused, 62DC paralyzing arrows human ranged ranger/The Divine Cuisinart: human tempest in divine crusader/Hassan's Assassin: 81DC halfling assassin/The Count of Monte Cristo: human swashbuckler/Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer

Community Member

Hm ive got a question about the Conv Bracers, Would it be better to have 30% + 13 Repair or 20% with +15 Heal? I cant cast heal so im having a heck of a time testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sipherwoods View Post
    Hm ive got a question about the Conv Bracers, Would it be better to have 30% + 13 Repair or 20% with +15 Heal? I cant cast heal so im having a heck of a time testing it.
    I have wondered about this as well, though I have not done any testing. My sense is that the heal amp would be more beneficial. Heal amp will augment all positive spell power and stacks multiplicatively with other sources of heal amp, whereas the heal skill only augments the base healing of the spell.

EDIT: The more positive spell power and heal amp, the more you gain from that extra heal amp. But if you have very little or no positive spell power and heal amp, then the heal would probably do more for you. I don't think it would take much spell power and/or heal amp to make the extra heal amp more effective.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 01-23-2014 at 09:32 AM.

I swapped some more feats around. Took great cleave at level 9 and moved weapon focus to 10 since you don't need it until kensai tier 2 enhancements are available. I moved point blank shot to level 14 and improved precise shot to 15. I rarely use ranged at this point so I figure backloading them and getting more use out of the melee feats was a better option. Cleave and great cleave have excellent synergy with displacement since I can risk being surrounded by mobs.

At level 9 I switched to dual rapiers. With imp crit the increase in dps was definitely noticeable. Since that switch, I put the full 20 AP into the elf tree, 6 into tempest for the 10% offhand, and split the rest between kensai and tempest trying to find that balance between dps and survivability. I find I'm generally putting more into tempest for now. The really good stuff from kensai doesn't come until tier 5, which won't be until level 20.

I just hit level 12 last night and am looking forward to dual wielding my triple pos rapiers.

Just got to level 23 last night and started using Balizardes. Triple positive rapiers were great through heroics but dps felt a little weak after level 20 even though I was centered and had all my enhancements at that point. The build is definitely gear dependent and I was also running mostly in off destinies. I should have most of my final gear by level 25. Balizardes were a huge improvement. Survivability is great, as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    Just got to level 23 last night and started using Balizardes. Triple positive rapiers were great through heroics but dps felt a little weak after level 20 even though I was centered and had all my enhancements at that point. The build is definitely gear dependent and I was also running mostly in off destinies. I should have most of my final gear by level 25. Balizardes were a huge improvement. Survivability is great, as expected.
    Glad to hear and keep us posted with especially any tweaks/lesson's learned.

I wanted to say thanks for this thread as I like the idea of a survivable elf for a change. I took from this thread the idea no-grind-first-life-Displacement and TWF with Elven Weapons for my build and gave you credit here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5245759

Your ideas in this thread was the last pieces of the puzzle to allow me to keep one of my favorite toons as it is (my kids and I play that character on EH) and instead of changing that character those 2 missing pieces allowed me to quickly gen up a 1st lifer replacement that will hopefully be viable/survivable for EE groups/raids without having to grind Green Steel for displacement clickies.

I am curious where you ended up regarding the Extend feat. I originally had it in my build and then looked to drop it for monk stances/DPS but it seems like my Displacement is way under 11.5 minutes (I am still below level 20). I do have perma-blur so it isn't horrible but I am starting to think about putting Extend back in. Curious what your thoughts are after playing your build for awhile and weighing the pros/cons.
    Last edited by Nodoze; 02-13-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    I wanted to say thanks for this thread as I like the idea of a survivable elf for a change. I took from this thread the idea no-grind-first-life-Displacement and TWF with Elven Weapons for my build and gave you credit here:
    Nice. Good to know this thread has been useful for builds other than this one.

I am curious where you ended up regarding the Extend feat. I originally had it in my build and then looked to drop it for monk stances/DPS but it seems like my Displacement is way under 11.5 minutes (I am still below level 20). I do have perma-blur so it isn't horrible but I am starting to think about putting Extend back in. Curious what your thoughts are after playing your build for awhile and weighing the pros/cons.
    In heroics especially, I appreciated having extend. Depending on the length of time between shrines, you still occasionally have to be somewhat selective about when to use it. But having extend made it much more of a possibility to be displaced constantly, especially if zerging.

11.5 minutes is enough for most content, but there are definitely places where it won't be enough between shrines. I'm thinking particularly of the endfight of EE What Goes Up and some raids (which admittedly are outdated anyway, but still get run occasionally). Having extend just means you don't have to worry about when to use it and can keep it up all the time no matter what.

For Santa's Little Slayer, I consider displacement a defining feature of the build so I don't want to ever be without it. But I'm also not losing much by fitting in extend.

I'm almost to level 27 and this build is a beast. I got all but 2 pieces of gear by level 25. I won't get the deadly of resist goggles or consuming darkness until level 28. Currently I'm using the drow smoke goggles and a deadly of resist ring. The only piece of gear I'm missing from the OP is the EE backstabber's gloves. I have the EN version which still provides improved deception and is the main reason for them, so I'm in no hurry to get the EE version. It's only a difference of 3 points of sneak attack damge.

Geared up and running in Fury, this build does great in EE. Balizarde and Fury and a sick combination. Even without adrenaline overload I'm getting crits in the 400-1000 range, and crits happen 40-50% of the time! With adrenaline overload I'm seeing 2000-4000 crits. Furyshot is insane burst dps, great for clearing a room or taking a chunk out of bosses. Survivability is top notch. With all the damage avoidance I can stand in a group of mobs on EE and stay standing, which suits my reckless playstyle. I haven't started carrying heal scrolls yet and have less than 100 positive spell power and a 250 sp pool but cocoon is still enough to keep me going.

I keep fists of iron, earth strike 4, earth strike 3, and the finisher hotkeyed in that order so I can just spam down the line to maximize my dps. Along with the cleaves, adrenaline overload, and the occasional fists of light, it's a lot of button pushing, which was overwhelming at first but I'm getting used to it. I need to rearrange one of my hotbars so I can swap to Pinion, enter earth stance, hit haste boost, unbridled fury, then manyshot to maximize my ranged burst. I have them spread out atm and sometimes forget to hit one or waste time moving back and forth.

I haven't run in dreadnaught yet, but I can see this build tearing through EE content while blitzing.

At level 28 now and rocking EE content. Still haven't run in dreadnaught. The on-demand, insane burst damage of furyshot is hard to give up (furyshot is just begging for a nerf).

Forgot to mention in my last post, sting of the ninja works great on this build. On anything with a lot of hp (i.e. bosses) you will build up a stack of 20 very quickly. It seems to proc more than once every 3 seconds. I see poison damage every other hit or so and I know I'm hitting more than twice in 3 seconds.

Heal scrolls augment cocoon fairly well. I have everything listed in the OP to boost my UMD and for some reason I end up with one less than what I calculated. I can't figure out why.

I also noticed that I end up with 5 more hp than what is calculated in the OP. I noticed this on my rogue also and I suspect that improvd heroic durability applies 4 times instead of the 3 it states in the description. That's my best guess anyway.

My reflex save wasn't high enough to survive the onslaught of ice elementals during the endfight of A Break in the Ice. So it has its limits for sure, but this was the first time it really failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    I keep fists of iron, earth strike 4, earth strike 3, and the finisher hotkeyed in that order so I can just spam down the line to maximize my dps. ...
    CTTE, Thanks for the updates and thanks for sharing if/when you see changes.

What finisher(s) are you using?

What finisher(s) are you using?
    Just the triple earth finisher, which increases the crit multiplier by 2 on that attack. If I remember, which I usually don't, I use aligning the heavens for buffing.

Great looking build!!! Almost ready to TR into this and give it a whirl myself.
    Please when you get time, an updated gear list? Would love to see what you do different
    with some of the new stuff.

J
    Whatever, Whateva and What-ever...

Quote Originally Posted by jmay17 View Post
    Great looking build!!! Almost ready to TR into this and give it a whirl myself.
    Please when you get time, an updated gear list? Would love to see what you do different
    with some of the new stuff.

J
    The gear list is updated. I don't plan to use any of the new gear on this build. It simply doesn't offers anything. The necklace from Haunted Halls that gives +4 exc dex and con leaves both of those stats at odd numbers, so the GS Min2 HP item currently offers more. The bracers with dex 11 are decent, but I wouldn't want to give up my only source of heal amp. The Skirmisher's Bracers would offer more anyway with 8% doublestrike. The Dragon Masque with exc sneak 6 and deadly 11 is very nice, but this build rarely gets sneak attack, in fact, I often play a sort of tank role with it due to the high damage avoidance; and the extra 1 deadly does not compare to the 3% doublestrike from the black dragon set. Also, the new armor offers nothing for a robe wearing melee without tactics.

So fortunately and unfortunately, I don't intend to use any of the new gear on this build. If someone else sees some advantage to the new gear that I am missing, I am open to suggestions.

EDIT: As far as the thunder forged weapons, I'm not sure they compare to the crit profile of Balizarde on this build, but I haven't run the numbers to see.

EDIT EDIT: I will make a couple of rapiers and slot good in them for DR breakers. I think they would be better than Celestias for this build.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 03-21-2014 at 07:16 AM.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how did you get Master of Forms at lvl 18, when you don't have Adept of Forms listed in your feat selection prior to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garund View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question, but how did you get Master of Forms at lvl 18, when you don't have Adept of Forms listed in your feat selection prior to that?
    The 6th monk level (which grants Adept of Forms) is taken at level 18 so that Master of Forms can be taken as the level 18 feat. I just generally don't bother including the auto-granted feats when writing up a build because I feel it is too cluttered when they are included.

Community Member

Hey, popping in to add to OP's otherwise amazing build and detailed, constructed post. For those leveling this throughout Heroic Levels, and interested in staying centered, one option, as the OP has stated, is to always go Short Swords - but two very important things. First off, Short Swords are considered as light weapons, believe it or not. Secondly, instead of waiting till level 15, as soon as 11 AP is available, picking up Tempest (Dex to hit with light weapons, redundant as Ninja Spy's 1st Core, "Basic Ninja Training", allows you to use Dex to hit with all pierce and slashing weapons, centered or not), but more importantly, unlocking Graceful Death - allowing you to use Dex to damage for light weapons (if you want to stay centered, this means Kamas and Short Swords, though only Short Swords benefit from Improved Critical Piercing).

Instead of investing in the Elves' Aerenal line, you could instead spend your time leveling throughout Heroics by investing in the Tempest's Whirling Blades line to much the same effect, and probably is more leveling friendly - allows you two weapon categories instead of restricting you to one whilst you level through the content (though I admit, you'll rarely find a Kama so good it's worth passing up Imp Crit Piercing w/ Short Swords for). The loss is, of course, Skill (+3% Doublestrike, +3% Doubleshot, +3% Dodge and +3% bypass Dodge), as well as the bonuses to Longbow - however, you don't pick up Zen Archery until Level 18 if you're following the build, and as this is reply is for those interested in staying centered...

You can reset the entire Tempest tree and invest points into Kensai to grab One With The Blade at Fighter Level 8 (Character Level 20 if you're following the build posted), pick up a decent pair of Rapiers, and invest the remainder into the Aerenal line and pick up Skill & Grace at the end.

So, staying centered is actually pretty simple, and not as painful as OP might've painted it. Was a hasty reply constructed in the interest of time and content, so it's probably not the best post, and I might've missed something, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. This looks like an amazingly fun build, and will probably take this for a spin myself.

Cheers to the OP for such a detailed, neat post!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast