Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Greensteel beginner tips?

Hi all,

I have managed to get one toon flagged for Shroud and I guess it's about time to start planning for greensteel.

What is the current wisdom on the optimal accessory slot? Apparently used to be goggles once upon a time and then not and... what about bracers? (No, I didn't get any convalescent bracers back when they were still dropping. Too bad heal amp doesn't go on GS accessories... or does it these days?)

Conc-Opp items would probably be a priority for several of my toons eventually - I like playing "hybrid" toons so their sp pools tend to be on the low side to begin with. And, many of my toons have Blindness Immunity in their goggles, and I'd prefer to not lose that even for the duration of getting a second GS accessory (cleansing's still only found in the 20th list, right?) - especially as that's not one of the farmable augments in Gianthold, IIRC...

(I figure weapons are an easier thing anyway. Longbow with earthgrab looks like fun, heh...)

BTW, I noticed that the Official Beginners Guide to The Eldritch Device is 404. Is there a replacement anywhere? ( http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/An_Of...ldritch_Device ...)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

My 2 cents on this: There is probably no one good answer for everyone. I usually look to see which slots I have available that aren't occupied by a sweet named item or by an item with a really sweet augment slot. Those are good places to begin. I am guessing that you have already decided what you want the final item to be (MinII, LitII, etc.) Study the Greensteel crafting planner to see exactly what you will get out of your desired item, including the first, second and third tier enhancements. If there is an item whose enhancements will be adequately replaced by the Greensteel item, that is a good slot to consider. Or, you may be able to swap around the enhancements on 2 or 3 items to create a slot for the Greensteel item without losing any of the other things you want. If you are high level in Cannith crafting, or have a friend who is, it makes the process of swapping enhancements between items easier.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

Community Member

One little thing - "Energy Orb" ? That the same thing as Eberron Energy Cell?

See, I tried this planner at http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/n...e_crafting.php and it says I need a bunch of Energy Orbs from Vale quests and explorer area. Haven't gotten any, and the wiki doesn't mention those either. But the wiki does mention the "Eberron Energy Cell" `- which can be just bought?

Oh well, anyhow, the other planner says cell anyway, for example, http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...int,wiz6_1_cha (Does that item make any sense, BTW?)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    One little thing - "Energy Orb" ? That the same thing as Eberron Energy Cell?

See, I tried this planner at http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/n...e_crafting.php and it says I need a bunch of Energy Orbs from Vale quests and explorer area. Haven't gotten any, and the wiki doesn't mention those either. But the wiki does mention the "Eberron Energy Cell" `- which can be just bought?
    The lowest level Eberron Energy Cell can be bought from the vendor next to the crafting machine where you make you signet stone, and craft base items. They are only needed for base items. This machine is in Meridia itself, and you will have to use to get flagged for the shroud at all. There is a little walk through that you will be taken through to get flagged after you get a stone from each of the 5 quests in the vale.

The Other energy cells, low, medium and high only drop in the shroud itself. For each ingredient you craft you will need cells. They drop pretty regularly though, so usually don't have to worry about those.

Oh well, anyhow, the other planner says cell anyway, for example, http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...int,wiz6_1_cha (Does that item make any sense, BTW?)
    Yes it makes sense, it is your basic con-op item. There is not a ton of variation in con-op items.

As far as what to craft that all depends on what you are doing and how much you are TRing.

As far as equipment the general consensus now is that only two items work well. A con-op item and/or a HP item with either heavy fort or displace/concealment guard). Sometimes a triple negative, for death block, blindness, fear, poison immunity with a slay living guard.

And yes the stone of cleansing is only after each 20th completion.

As far as weapons there still is a great amount of utility and depends on what your toon does.

Triple positive for undead. A lighting II one for lightning strike I hear is one of the best for damage procs. A Radiance II for the no save blindness and immediate sneak attack damage if you have that. Various other ones depend on how much shroud grinding and ingredients that you end up having.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    ... Various other ones depend on how much shroud grinding and ingredients that you end up having.
    Apropos of that, how many Shroud runs should I expect to have to do per top-tier item?

(In addition to the Vale quests once each per item of course, and then some for more pebbles and such...)

Apropos of that, how many Shroud runs should I expect to have to do per top-tier item?

(In addition to the Vale quests once each per item of course, and then some for more pebbles and such...)
    Unfortunately a lot.

For most all worthwhile Teir 3 it requests two crafted shards, so twice the ingredients.

You are looking at 3 large ingredients for the crafted ingredients.
    With 3 crafted ingredients per shard.
    Times two.
    So 18 large ingredients.
    Looking at on a hard run 2-4 large ingredients.

Then of course the whole trick of getting the actual ones that you want.
    Like most things DDO, it is a bit of a grind.
    Fortunately you are guaranteed to get what you want at some point.

You can definitely expect that the 20 runs it will take you to get the cleansing stone, you should be able to craft at least one item. If you are lucky with pulls you might be able to craft two.

Make note that those pebbles and twigs and such only drop in the quests. But they are used only to make the base items. Not for crafting effects onto the weapon/item.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Which accesory slot depends on what kind of gear you have. For example: I made some GS boots for my monk, who didn't need a striding item, but for my paladin I made GS goggles (conc-opp) since I didn't have anything better to put in there.

A double imbued shard takes 24 large ingredients to craft, depending on difficulty you get 1-4 larges per run (1-2 for normal, 2-3 for hard, 3-4 on elite).

They drop from the part 4 with about 50% drop chance and from part 5 with 100%(?) drop chance from 1, 2 or 3 of the chests depending on wich difficulty you're running.

Assuming you're doing hard runs, wich seem to be the most popular now, even with epic levels you're looking at around 10 runs to get about 25 large ingredients and about 10 more to get the RIGHT ingredients. After the 20'th a cleansing stone's gonna show up in the end reward wich allows you to remove the taint of shavarath from accessories. This may or may not be worth it for you.

Ofcourse large ingredients are unbound so you could always throw some plat at the AH or ask around if anyone's got some spare ingredients you can buy for cheap.
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

If you just recently flagged to run the shroud for the first time, you are quite a ways away from crafting anything. If you have access to raid timer bypasses, you can cut down some of the time.

The main thing is to aquire the shards of power.

The quickest way to aquire ingredients, is to have more than one toon on timer. That way you can run it more times per week. Ingredients are not bound, but the shards of power are bound to character.

The best advice I can give is this:

Just run the raid, and learn the raid. Listen to the instructions given by the raid leader. If you don't know what to do, just sit back and see what everyone else is doing, and do what they do.

If you run it looking for a certain ingredient, you could cause yourself grief.

Just run it and gather stuff as you go.

Buy yourself a medium ingredients bag and put everything in there to store it.

You will be hard pressed to be able to craft one item by the time you complete 20 runs. Odds are, it could take you more than 20 completions to be able to craft your first piece of gear.

When you do run, make sure you roll on any shards of power that are put up for roll. A lot of times you just might have it passed to you. If you are unsure of how to actually roll on an item, make sure you ask someone in game.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrargh View Post
    Assuming you're doing hard runs, wich seem to be the most popular now, even with epic levels you're looking at around 10 runs to get about 25 large ingredients and about 10 more to get the RIGHT ingredients. After the 20'th a cleansing stone's gonna show up in the end reward wich allows you to remove the taint of shavarath from accessories. This may or may not be worth it for you.
    A heavy grind for shroud ingredients/items is most worthwhile for toons you are planning a heavy TR investment into.

Otherwise most capped toons shed GS items at some point cause it just is not powerful enough.

About one of the only things that some casters keep is a con-op item. But not all of them do.

When TRing, at 12th level having GS weapons is way powerful. At cap there is just so much stuff that is better.

So something to keep in mind.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

For concordant opposition I'd recommend 10 HP, 15 HP 100 SP instead of doing all spell points. This gets you 100 of the 150 elemental spell points and 25 of the 45 elemental hit points in a single slot, the full +6 umd, and (of course) concordant opposition. I personally love these, having made three now, one each for all three of my melees. (All three bluebar self-heal.)

You still get +6 wisdom and +10 haggle/diplomacy if that part is important to you.

There is no consensus slot.

Every greensteel damage weapon is obsoleted by the lower epic levels, although they are worth considering for serial TR characters. (Although for THF, Cloudburst from Reaver's Fate is far better now due to how good AoE damage is in heroic levels). Greensteel utility weapons (elemental absorb sticks and ML 12 +9 caster stat sticks) remain of some niche use.

On accessories, Smoke, Ash, Mineral and Concordant Opposition have held up the best over time and are the most likely to remain good at level 28. Ash and Smoke work best in EE content, and Conc-Opp is extremely overpowered in EH or EN content. Radiance Guard has niche uses too.

As for accessory effects: 45 HP on one item, and Utility Tier 1/50SP/100SP on another.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Also a fan for Pos2 and Pos3 items for the raise clickies; for TRing and even most epics that Pos3 weaon is still pretty awesome.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Also a fan for Pos2 and Pos3 items for the raise clickies; for TRing and even most epics that Pos3 weaon is still pretty awesome.
    Forgot about +++ weapons, they are indeed excellent. Don't consider +++ accessories though.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Every greensteel damage weapon is obsoleted by the lower epic levels, although they are worth considering for serial TR characters. (Although for THF, Cloudburst from Reaver's Fate is far better now due to how good AoE damage is in heroic levels). Greensteel utility weapons (elemental absorb sticks and ML 12 +9 caster stat sticks) remain of some niche use.
    Um. What of a crowd-control bow? I seem to remember seeing some people use several kinds of those in a longer quest and all greensteel... although, by 20 or so the Cannith Challenge elemental bow looks easier to get. (Still, I suppose for the sniper rogues a GS repeater...)

And a soul-gem farming weapon. Possibly ranged too.

Those are two of the things I had on my list of "maybe, eventually" ... and then there's the DR breaker, Min2/Metalline+Good...?
    Last edited by mna; 11-27-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Don't forget that Green Steel is one of the few ways to make (if you haven't something already)

• A Disrupting weapon (Greater Disruption, a "Triple Positive" formula)
    • 2-click Displacement and Permanent Blurry (Smoke II) items/weapons
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

where can craft greensteel sorry im new to this game

Quote Originally Posted by compadre View Post
    where can craft greensteel sorry im new to this game
    Shroud is a level 16+ raid in the Vale of Twilight pack

http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Vale_of_Twilight

You will need to run the quests to flag for the raid and collect lots of ingredients, but it is well worth it.

In my opinion it is the best pack in the game and offers the most versatile gear for heroic levels especially if you are considering reincarnations (TR multiple lives)

Shroud crafting will fill voids in gear until you find that almost perfect endgame gear, and also provides opportunities to craft many useful clickies.

Planners like...

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php

are useful to preplan items/weapons..
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

So I noticed that someone brought up a raid timer bypass. I would never use one of these for the shroud, and I will tell you why.

If you REALLY need some green steel the thing to do is not complete the raid. It is what all us serious grinders did back in the day. You only miss out on the end chests and end reward if you finish out before the last altar is clicked.

Tier 1 ingredients drop in part 1

Tier 2 in gredients drop in parts 2 & 3

Tier 3 ingredients drop in parts 4 & 5

So what I would do, and have done, is join the first shroud you see. Make sure people know you are leaving before completion. You will then know the raid.

Immediately put up another shroud LFM.

Do that 2 to 3 times then complete, when you are off timer, do it again. Repeat this process until you have everything you could ever want from the shroud.

As far as specific items go. A trip positive greataxe with 30% healing amp on the third tier is very nice for a barbarian. You will replace it With an epic weapon at 20-28. You can easily get that 30% healing amp back with the gloves from the PDK trader in E-Star.

One of the best items you can make yourself from the shroud are displacement clickies, and you only need to do a tier two item to make them. The plus side to this, is by the time you have enough larges to make your self a couple of top notch tier 3 items, you should have plenty of tier 1 and 2 ingredients.

And if you are serious about crafting, anything in this game, you really should have a look at the interactive ddo game guide. Just google that, download it, have knowledge. It's way easier than asking people how to do it.

Thanks and have a great crafting day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    As an aside, our player concurrency numbers didn't show any kind of dip. Player numbers have been fairly consistent and healthy throughout the champions introduction. Sev~

In terms of the grind involved, I would say if you're just flagged and are roughly at level, expect to maybe have enough mats for your first T3 item by the time you hit L28, if you run it very 3 days like clockwork. It'll be quicker than that if you can get folks to run it on hard/elite (and if you can survive that which will get easier for you as you hit epic levels). So bear in mind what you're really doing is making an item for your next life, when it will be usable from L11/12 and will remain useful until the mid 20s. Plan accordingly, is what I'm saying.

Don't forget you'll have to run all the flagging quests again to get your wedges before you can make a second item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast