Community Member

Default Nothing is hidden

This seems like an appealing addition to a character with rogue skills. I thought I saw somewhere that this worked off of the spot skill instead of the search skill despite the description saying it triggers a search check. Can anyone confirm? I'd hate to max the wrong skill if I go this route.

Yes, it works off of the spot skill.
    I have personally tested it by changing search for spot goggles standing in front of where a box would be.
    Honestly its a great way to save time looking for traps.
    But the biggest issue is its a wisdom based skill (spot) and most trappers dump wisdom.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatneil View Post
    I have personally tested it by changing search for spot goggles standing in front of where a box would be.
    But the biggest issue is its a wisdom based skill (spot) and most trappers dump wisdom.
    Thank for the info! I have one trapper (kind of, she's got 3 rogue levels splashed on a bard) and I know it gets a bit tedious swapping out spot gear for search, then searching, then swapping gear and disabling, then swapping back to spot. I would think this would save a ton of time just in searching, not even counting the gear swaps.

I've found NiH most useful for picking out traps on the run--if you're not stopping to disable them, it means you have a clear picture of where the danger zone is without your having to stop, and does the same for your party, and if you were planning on disabling them, it (usually) keeps your party from blundering through the trap before you can yell out, "Trap!" Saving time is nice, but Search has had its duration reduced a little anyway, so it's not such a big deal.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    This seems like an appealing addition to a character with rogue skills. I thought I saw somewhere that this worked off of the spot skill instead of the search skill despite the description saying it triggers a search check. Can anyone confirm? I'd hate to max the wrong skill if I go this route.
    As other people have said it works off of spot.
    So it not really very good for somebody that splashes.

I run pure Arti Drow,with max Int and WIS. Makes the quests go a whole lot faster.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

It works off of Spot?!

So.... my Rgrs... who I max Spot on.. could use this to find trap boxes?

Is Trap Finding still required? Can solve that with Find Traps scrolls, lvl 2 spell easily UMDed. (I have used these scrolls already to avoid bumping into traps in some dungeons that I do not know exactly where the traps are. btw)

Edit: maybe I'd better keep that a secret, wouldn't want the devs to nerf Find Traps.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 11-27-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow

It works off of Spot?!
    So.... my Rgrs... who I max Spot on.. could use this to find trap boxes?
    Is Trap Finding still required? Can solve that with Find Traps scrolls, lvl 2 spell easily UMDed. (I have used these scrolls already to avoid bumping into traps in some dungeons that I do not know exactly where the traps are. btw)
    Edit: maybe I'd better keep that a secret, wouldn't want the devs to nerf Find Traps.
    still need trapfinding feat to find traps, so either be a rogue or arti, or use the trapfinding spell.

as per the descript
    . You will automatically perform a Search check to locate traps and secret doors when you are in range to Spot them, although this Search check occurs at a -12/-8/-4 penalty

from that I'd say it uses the search skill. I've personally dumped wisdom on my drow assassin trapper (I'd be lucky if I have anymore then 10-12 (base8+2tome+2ship)( his search is 81, spot is only 56), and he uses the nothing is hidden enhancement constantly, the only ones he has trouble with is a few EE traps to autofind, all others and even most EE traps he can find even with the -4 pen, the EE ones he has trouble with he can find if he searchs (and since search doesnt roll a dice, the DC's are 82-85, with 1-2 I've come across possibly being higher within the 87 range (since his +6skill boost makes it possible for him to find any trap so far) or I scroll a GH, I dont get msg's when traps are near, so obviously my spot is too low for the boxes. however I can still use the nothing is hidden to auto find the boxes. So I'd say it uses the search skill.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    still need trapfinding feat to find traps, so either be a rogue or arti, or use the trapfinding spell.

as per the descript
    . You will automatically perform a Search check to locate traps and secret doors when you are in range to Spot them, although this Search check occurs at a -12/-8/-4 penalty

from that I'd say it uses the search skill. I've personally dumped wisdom on my drow assassin trapper (I'd be lucky if I have anymore then 10-12 (base8+2tome+2ship)( his search is 81, spot is only 56), and he uses the nothing is hidden enhancement constantly, the only ones he has trouble with is a few EE traps to autofind, all others and even most EE traps he can find even with the -4 pen, the EE ones he has trouble with he can find if he searchs (and since search doesnt roll a dice, the DC's are 82-85, with 1-2 I've come across possibly being higher within the 87 range (since his +6skill boost makes it possible for him to find any trap so far) or I scroll a GH, I dont get msg's when traps are near, so obviously my spot is too low for the boxes. however I can still use the nothing is hidden to auto find the boxes. So I'd say it uses the search skill.
    Thx.

I may test this later on a Rgr. I do not usually invest in Search on my Rgrs, but I do in Spot.
    Elf has this same enhancement, right?

(actually, with the changes to secret door detection, I have been making some Rgrs with Search skill too if they have the points.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Thx.

I may test this later on a Rgr. I do not usually invest in Search on my Rgrs, but I do in Spot.
    Elf has this same enhancement, right?

(actually, with the changes to secret door detection, I have been making some Rgrs with Search skill too if they have the points.)
    yea, elves and drow should both have it. shadar-kai have it as well but its further up the tree (T4)

I just was reading another thread about this ability, and it seems that people have tried maxing out either one or the other (search or spot) And couldnt get the ability to work. So Im not sure what formula is required to get it to work. on EE Traps, my rogue doesnt get a spot message, so I dont think its tied to that, but its possible that you need a both skills to get it to work effectively.

Default So more testing was done

From my tests it seems you do need BOTH!

Quest used: lost tome (harbor) because the trap box is right in the front. Elite setting.

Made a level 4 drow maxed spot, no search, full ranks in nothing is hidden.
    Could find the traps but not the box.
    (deleted)
    Made a level 4 drow maxed search, nothing in spot, full ranks in nothing is hidden.
    Could find the traps but not the box. (could find the box with a normal search)
    (deleted)
    Made a level 4 drow with max spot and search, full ranks in nothing is hidden.
    Found both traps and the box.
    Dropped the rank of nothing is hidden to rank 2, no box found. Same for rank 1.
    My guess is my spot became to low for the Dc of the box. (could find the box with normal search)

Edit: I cant spell even with spellcheck

So weird...

I'll say that on my monkcher/2 arti, my Spot is quite a bit higher than my Search (16 +5 tome +4 level-ups in Wis vs. 14+3 tome Int), and have only a single rank in NiH, and have managed to get some traps and boxes in EE Tor and Cabal and some other places, even with the steep penalty, so...I really don't know how it's figuring things out.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

From my tests it seems you do need BOTH!

Quest used: lost tome (harbor) because the trap box is right in the front. Elite setting.

Made a level 4 drow maxed spot, no search, full ranks in nothing is hidden.
    Could find the traps but not the box.
    (deleted)
    Made a level 4 drow maxed search, nothing in spot, full ranks in nothing is hidden.
    Could find the traps but not the box. (could find the box with a normal search)
    (deleted)
    Made a level 4 drow with max spot and search, full ranks in nothing is hidden.
    Found both traps and the box.
    Dropped the rank of nothing is hidden to rank 2, no box found. Same for rank 1.
    My guess is my spot became to low for the Dc of the box. (could find the box with normal search)

Edit: I cant spell even with spellcheck

hmm, when you say no search, Was that N/A or only 1 pt into it? cause having no ranks in search would make it unusable, not even sure you can find any traps that way even fi your stats raised it above what you needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Violith View Post
    hmm, when you say no search, Was that N/A or only 1 pt into it? cause having no ranks in search would make it unusable, not even sure you can find any traps that way even fi your stats raised it above what you needed.
    neither, I put ZERO points in it, but my search was still 2, starting 10 int (cus drow cant get lower)

First test was with max wis , max spot
    second max int and search
    third maxed both

Edit: search isn't a n/a skill. DD, open locks, umd and perform are.
    Last edited by thegreatneil; 11-27-2013 at 05:16 PM.

neither, I put ZERO points in it, but my search was still 2, starting 10 int (cus drow cant get lower)

First test was with max wis , max spot
    second max int and search
    third maxed both

Edit: search isn't a n/a skill. DD, open locks, umd and perform are.
    ty for testing this, going to try this out have both spot and search on my bardcher.
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s