Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by walkin_dude View Post
    Also, I can understand frustration at getting people who don't know the way to Belly. I can also understand how a player thinks he's in good shape to get there, then realizes he bit off more than he could chew.
    Someone clicking " know the way here " lfm ( or even if there was nothing in the description ) without having portal to teleport there ( then spending 15 mins to get there or even dying ) is the exact answer to thread title.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I am trying to show that it goes both ways. There are illiterate people everywhere that refuse to read an LFM to see if their play style is what the party is looking for (it does not help when the LFM is blank either).

It is not just zergers that are jerks. There are of plenty of sniffers and new people that are just as bad. Sure you can call me a jerk for not teaching, but you cannot say a zergers is in the wrong and then turn around and defend a sniffer that joins a zerg LFM and then complains.
    When you agree to do an activity WITH a group of people, it is common courtesy to wait for those people and actually do the activity WITH them. So no, it is not just as bad for a "sniffer" to join a group and proceed with sniffing as for a zerger to join a group and complete half of the activity without them. At least the group has the opportunity to ask the sniffer to up the pace where the group with the zerger doesn't even know he's started without them.

Pretend that I made the following post on the forums.

I put up an LFM for “Belly in the beast” and I put in the LFM know how to get here. If I went on ranting that there were 4 people that joined and could not find their way to the quest and dropped and was saying that this was disrespectful, what would you say to that?

Would you be one of the bleeding hearts that would change the topic to “I should have gone back for them” or maybe I should have “waited until everyone was in the underdark? This is the same issue as the OP. Respect and the lack of it. If all things are equal with respect and the two different posts on the forums, the puggers were in the wrong for joining an LFM when they did not meet the criteria.

You won’t see many people defending me here though. They have a twisted view on what respect is when they hate a certain play style. I do not condone the actions in the OP of the zergers, but in the age of anonymity and the internet this is common. I can call you a ****y head with little repercussion and that is exactly some of these people feel and play.
    But then there are some of us who are respectful when we join other people's groups. And it's funny how one can go out of their way to adhere to what the star wants, but be mystified at how incompetent they prove to be.

On that note, it's discourteous to make everyone sit at the entrance and wait for someone to get their ship buffs that they will lose in seconds anyway. It's discourteous to die repeatedly and beg for resurrections when the level range being run is before anyone has access to that aside from store cakes. Just as it's discourteous to not specify it's a slowbie run, get there much later (greater than 10 mins) and complain about a late penalty.

Just started another tr run. Dying people with wings abound all over the harbor and marketplace. Freakn' amazing to me.

People play different ways. There is space to specify what you want in the lfm panel. Better to avoid conflicts from the start by using it.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walkin_dude View Post
    So, what we have ended up with here is one group of people trying to explain what respect is (because that is really the central issue) to another group of people. In my experience, having interacted with people from numerous cultures, respect is a fairly universal concept. The ones who don't understand it are usually the very young. The ones here who seem unable to understand it . . . I can only guess that Internet anonymity is the cause. Or maybe they are part of the small percentage of people who are genuinely extreme narcissists. I really don't see any way to paint the behavior described in the OP as respectful.
    I disagree with your assessment of this thread (obviously). I understand respect and I generally offer it. One sided stories like that offered by the OP don't actually show what usually happens in these situations. There certainly are people who rush into the quest with no regard to the LFM even when the LFM says "stick together", "all optionals", "no zerging", etc. That's a bad thing. And when that bad thing happens, the rest of the party can either do their best to keep up or they can recall and reform. If it's that upsetting, then it's probably worth the 30 seconds needed to recall and reform (especially since that 10 minute quest is going to take them more than 30 minutes).

On the other side, there is the large majority of DDO players who don't run fast and can't or won't keep up with a party that does want to move at a quick pace. When they join "IP" or similar parties and then immediately ask for a share because they can't be bothered to actually get quests themselves or just take an unreasonable amount of time to get to the quest and then demand that people come back for them even though the LFM said "In Progress". That happens much more often than someone moving faster than the rest of the party "spoiling" the experience of the other players. And it gets completely ignored or brushed aside both in this thread and in the DDO forums community as a whole because moving through a quest quickly and efficiently while having fun in that quest is somehow viewed as wrong by a large number of people.

This thread isn't really about respect. It's about forum paladins taking cheap shots at a play style that they perceive as being wrong for the game. You can't force someone to play the way that you want. All you can do is choose who you want to play with. If you don't like how someone plays, then you can recall and reform the group if you choose. If everyone else wants to stay in the quest, you can't force them out, so you can choose to recall or you can choose to stay in. It's pretty straightforward. Posting attacks against individuals or groups on the forum and claiming that it's all about "respect" won't change any of that. Group with the people you want to. Don't group with the people that you don't want to. It's not complicated.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    On that note, it's discourteous to make everyone sit at the entrance and wait for someone to get their ship buffs that they will lose in seconds anyway. It's discourteous to die repeatedly and beg for resurrections when the level range being run is before anyone has access to that aside from store cakes. Just as it's discourteous to not specify it's a slowbie run, get there much later (greater than 10 mins) and complain about a late penalty.
    It is not "discourteous" to do those things because "not sitting at the entrance", "not waiting for ship buffs", "not dying", "asking for directions" etc. is not common courtesy. I would bet that the majority of DDO players do all of those things during the course of their average game play. Waiting for the group IS common courtesy.

If the star wants to do any or all of the things that you call "discourteous" then it is their option. If you don't like a group, drop. Don't blame other people for not playing the way you want to play.

What I don't understand is if a player wants to zerg / xp per min in a group why they don't simply ask the leader if this is the kind of group they're looking for if it is not specified in the LFM. Just entering the quest and completing half of it before the group even enters doesn't make sense if the point is to play in a group. And since it obviously isn't what the group wants either, doing it is not only failing to accomplish the zerger's goals but also potentially ****ing off a bunch of other players: lose/lose.

Founder

Pretend that I made the following post on the forums.

I put up an LFM for “Belly in the beast” and I put in the LFM know how to get here. If I went on ranting that there were 4 people that joined and could not find their way to the quest and dropped and was saying that this was disrespectful, what would you say to that?

Would you be one of the bleeding hearts that would change the topic to “I should have gone back for them” or maybe I should have “waited until everyone was in the underdark? This is the same issue as the OP. Respect and the lack of it. If all things are equal with respect and the two different posts on the forums, the puggers were in the wrong for joining an LFM when they did not meet the criteria.

You won’t see many people defending me here though. They have a twisted view on what respect is when they hate a certain play style. I do not condone the actions in the OP of the zergers, but in the age of anonymity and the internet this is common. I can call you a ****y head with little repercussion and that is exactly some of these people feel and play.
    This isn't a contest: just because there are other ways of being rude in a LFM doesn't mean that the OP isn't correct. I don't see the point of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    This isn't a contest: just because there are other ways of being rude in a LFM doesn't mean that the OP isn't correct. I don't see the point of this post.
    The point is your and other's hypocrisy.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Ghoul View Post
    It is not my hypocrisy - I do not do any of these things in LFM and I don't condone anyone joining a LFM and going against the star.

All I am saying is that if someone steps on my foot and I complain about it, that person coming back with "oh yea? Well yesterday you bumped ahead of me in line" doesn't have anything to do with what I am complaining about right now.

If someone has an experience like Vint and wants to make a thread about it, they are entitled to do so and I will agree that if your LFM says "know the way" and people join who do not they are at fault. But it doesn't have anything to do with the OP of THIS thread.

When you agree to do an activity WITH a group of people, it is common courtesy to wait for those people and actually do the activity WITH them. So no, it is not just as bad for a "sniffer" to join a group and proceed with sniffing as for a zerger to join a group and complete half of the activity without them. At least the group has the opportunity to ask the sniffer to up the pace where the group with the zerger doesn't even know he's started without them.
    And right here, we have the crux of the issue.

When someone fails to ask if their fast play style is allowed when the LFM doesn't specify, it's the fast player's fault.
    When an entire fast play style group fails to slow down their play style to allow the slow person to run with them even when the LFM indicates a fast play style group, it's the fast players' fault.

This entire thread isn't about "respect". It's about flower sniffers not accepting that running quests quickly is an acceptable play style.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

If the star wants to do any or all of the things that you call "discourteous" then it is their option. If you don't like a group, drop. Don't blame other people for not playing the way you want to play.
    HOORAY! HAL gets it!

What I don't understand is if a player wants to zerg / xp per min in a group why they don't simply ask the leader if this is the kind of group they're looking for if it is not specified in the LFM. Just entering the quest and completing half of it before the group even enters doesn't make sense if the point is to play in a group. And since it obviously isn't what the group wants either, doing it is not only failing to accomplish the zerger's goals but also potentially ****ing off a bunch of other players: lose/lose.
    Oh, wait. He doesn't get it.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Just started another tr run. Dying people with wings abound all over the harbor and marketplace. Freakn' amazing to me.
    Some of the older vets, myself included, need to ween themselves off the idea that TR wings should = skill enough to not die in hilarious circumstances. Past lives are basically for sale in the store nowdays.

People play different ways. There is space to specify what you want in the lfm panel. Better to avoid conflicts from the start by using it.
    Folks need to read those LFMs.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

When someone fails to ask if their fast play style is allowed when the LFM doesn't specify, it's the fast player's fault.
    When an entire fast play style group fails to slow down their play style to allow the slow person to run with them even when the LFM indicates a fast play style group, it's the fast players' fault.
    Communication is a two way street. Anyone in the group can get that conversation started. Being ones own advocate stops most of the drama before it even starts. This is why im surprised these threads still happen on the forums regsrding people joining groups they were clearly not going to have fun in.

This entire thread isn't about "respect". It's about flower sniffers not accepting that running quests quickly is an acceptable play style.
    Sounds like its about respect to me if thats the case. If they dont respect that other folks play differently, they will auto-disagree with anything those other folks do. So instead of refraining from joining groups they know are not going to be fun for them, they join anyway and attempt to take over.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

If you want to troll, do it properly. That was below any standard of trolling since it was utterly beside any point.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Ok, i know that you are a fast player, since you are utterly blind to anything except the fact that someone said something, that might in a certain light be, if you were not wearing glasses, seen as being bad towards fast players. I also notice that you are very defensive and thin skinned. And utterly without any capability of seeing anything but the trees, damn their pink trunks.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Wait you actually got an xp penalty? What in the world were you doing? Were you playing the game or trying to grief people that wanted to play the game and made the mistake of joining your group and hearing you say wait up wait up wait up.
    lol no i didn't got an xp penalty, but saw that happening to other people (because they told). Seems the zerg wasn't fast enough, if it would, some people would haven been in with the quest finished :P

You're getting a late penalty? You know how very late to the quest you have to be in order to get a late penalty, right?

If anyone is actually getting a late penalty, then the "zerger" at least isn't the only one being selfish and rude.
    what if the group didn't know there is someone in and said "start in 5 minutes", or what if that particular person (who wasnt me) said sorry guys i need to get, (i.e.) rem curse pots, be there in x time ?
    Last edited by harry-pancreas; 12-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Ok, i know that you are a fast player, since you are utterly blind to anything except the fact that someone said something, that might in a certain light be, if you were not wearing glasses, seen as being bad towards fast players. I also notice that you are very defensive and thin skinned. And utterly without any capability of seeing anything but the trees, damn their pink trunks.
    This from the guy who wants people to be more respectful.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

As a person who ussualy is up for group playing, flower sniffing and such, but sometimes zerging too, i think most of the fault is actually of "casual" players and flower sniffers.

How many "BYOH", "Know the way", "know it" lfm's do we see, and how many "go slow", "play in group" or "flower sniffing" lfm's do we see ?

Although a lot of people, as i said, dont read the lfm's, it's still a good filter and i think no one should whine if you yell to the zerger, since you previously asked for sticking toghether. But if u didn't say anything, well, you're just being critic of someone's playstyle and, i personally think you shouldnt.

Now, if you do a blank or whatever lfm, you should know average ddo player is either zerger or really fast and you probably will get some with that particular style.

I think most of the "flower sniffers" don't have the guts to post their own lfm, and it's time for us/them (personaly i dont fit with flower sniffers, neither with zergers )to grow up.
    Last edited by harry-pancreas; 12-02-2013 at 12:34 PM.

It is not "discourteous" to do those things because "not sitting at the entrance", "not waiting for ship buffs", "not dying", "asking for directions" etc. is not common courtesy. I would bet that the majority of DDO players do all of those things during the course of their average game play. Waiting for the group IS common courtesy.
    I understand that you believe that. But it isn't true. If I join a run advertised as 'fast' I do not expect to be asked to wait at the entrance 5-10 minutes for the star to shop, get ship buffs, etc.

True. But just like yesterday when the star chose to do these things under an advertised 'fast' or 'IP' run, I was not the one who jumped in and finished the quest in question. I chose to wait for them because they asked me to. Turns out they were shopping and begging for, then getting ship buffs. I hold no malice for the 4 people who said forget this and just did it. That type of behavior, (putting up a speed run of any type and taking 10+ minutes to show up only to die seconds in), can be classified as incompetent.

Here you appear to be supporting my point. I realize you won't like being told that. But you are. Label your lfm's people.

As to your interpretation regarding who is doing what, you have to understand that this varies from playstyle to playstyle. In example when I ran Carnival yesterday, the leader was fine with divide and conquer. In another lfm I chose to join earlier the star preferred we walked around holding hands. Doesn't matter really - unless you are not specifying what you want. In which case there is no need to complain about what you get.
    Last edited by taurean430; 12-02-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

it is as bad.

the other day I was about to cap a melee toon, as always I was running elite Monastery and Kobolds to get me that last push of XP. Everytime I tr I almost always keep lfms up. Not because I need help but in the off chance I find someone else that can speed things along. My lfm always has the quest or chain, and in the box it says "elite, BYOH, pike if you want."

Now I started on Monastery with my lfm up when I got a tell. Some dude asking if he could invite me to his party because he had two friends already in his party and then he could pass me the star. Should have been my first clue. So I say yes he invites me blah blah blah. About five minutes pass and I tell them if they want optional XP they need to hurry. That's when one of them starts complaining that I'm not waiting for them and I'm ruining his XP.

So I ignore him and go about finishing the quest. They zone in about a minute later and same dude that was complaining about me ruining his XP, runs down the hall l, hangs a hard left into either traps or scorpions. And I get yelled at for it. Again I ignore him. So I finish that quest and tell the party that I'm going to Kobolds next and they are welcome to help or pike if they want. So I get into the quest and am almost to the puzzle when one of the three tells the guy that died that he needs to hurry because I am zerging. So then said guy starts cursing me out because again I am ruining his XP.

Now you tell me that flower sniffers aren't as bad? That's horse hockey. I didn't need them, and definitely didn't need the attitude. I was just trying to be nice and off easy XP.
    Boldor of Renowned

Community Member

This entire thread is about 20 pages of insecurity.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast