Community Member LucasMacKinnon's Avatar

Default Honest question about bugs

The bards have been asking for a fix to their broken songs for a while. It's not in the known list. Devs claim its working. No one will even comment on well we decided that it was to powerful and so now it works like this. I mean at least give us something. Even a "Its not working quite right and we admit we don't know how to fix it" Would be a hell of a lot better then the silence and crickets we have been getting. I love this game and I love my bard. It is just really frustrating to see how nonchalant about even addressing that there is a problem. The bards are like the elephant in the room. We are here but no one wants to acknowledge it. Give us something some type of reply or acknowledgement that ok "we have been getting a lot of bug reports about this we are investigating what is going on" Something would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by LucasMacKinnon View Post
    The bards have been asking for a fix to their broken songs for a while. It's not in the known list. Devs claim its working. No one will even comment on well we decided that it was to powerful and so now it works like this. I mean at least give us something. Even a "Its not working quite right and we admit we don't know how to fix it" Would be a hell of a lot better then the silence and crickets we have been getting. I love this game and I love my bard. It is just really frustrating to see how nonchalant about even addressing that there is a problem. The bards are like the elephant in the room. We are here but no one wants to acknowledge it. Give us something some type of reply or acknowledgement that ok "we have been getting a lot of bug reports about this we are investigating what is going on" Something would be nice
    I love how much text you were able to pour without once mentioning which problem it is that bugs you.

I congratulate you on your verbose complaint about a bug whilst not ever actually saying what the bug is beyond "broken songs". I do know this, over the weekend my courage was inspired by a plucky bard many times and thus I am quite sure the description of 'broken songs' is somewhat lacking. Clarity is welcome.

Default bard songs

Song of the dead and song of the makers lasts a total of 30 seconds now, and with a dc of over 100 it takes multiple songs to fascinate wraiths and shadows in the orchard of the macabre. same with wf dogs in cannith. also doesn't work at all in any of the epic content i have played. is that better?

Song of the dead and song of the makers lasts a total of 30 seconds now, and with a dc of over 100 it takes multiple songs to fascinate wraiths and shadows in the orchard of the macabre. same with wf dogs in cannith. also doesn't work at all in any of the epic content i have played. is that better?
    Is the duration still meant to be 24 seconds plus 6 seconds per bard level?

If that's true maybe it's a class bug? Maybe it affects those with ED's or epic levels or multi-classed. This is Turbine so perhaps some further testing from you might help. I can suggest you make the following characters to test: a level 1 bard, a level 4 bard, a level 2 bard + some other class at level 2 as well as further testing on your own bard. Test in a few different areas on a few different mobs.

Get to a place where you can definitively say duration is only 30 seconds under all conditions.

Find a similar test regime for DC's.

I know you shouldn't have to do this, you are the customer not Turbine's paid technical support, but if you want action it may be something you need to consider doing; it's not really that much work, heck some may even call it fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Daine View Post

I know you shouldn't have to do this, you are the customer not Turbine's paid technical support, but if you want action it may be something you need to consider doing; it's not really that much work, heck some may even call it fascinating!
    The 4 of us that still play bards have tested this quite a bit, reported it quite a bit, and it still comes down to "it works for us" from the devs.

And that's not really the only problem with songs. You may have gotten the song you wanted and you were happy, but there's several problems with songs that don't work at all, don't work they way they're supposed to, etc. And yes, they've been bug reported... some of them for three updates now.

OK so made a quick level 7 Bard with music of the dead, music of the sewers and sharp note.

Then I ran to the catacombs...

first encountered a single Cave Bat, tried to fascinate it:

(Combat): Cave Bat misses you!
    (Combat): Cave Bat hit you, but did no damage.
    (Combat): you hit Vase with Mesmerize Undead.
    (Combat): you hit Vase with Mesmerize Ooze.
    (Combat): you help Vase with Sharp Note.
    (Combat): you hit Door with Mesmerize Undead.
    (Combat): you hit Door with Mesmerize Ooze.
    (Combat): you help Door with Sharp Note.
    (Combat): you help Door with Sharp Note.
    (Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Undead.
    (Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Ooze.
    (Combat): you help Error! Name_Property missing with Sharp Note.

So I hit it in the head:

(Combat): You attack Cave Bat. You roll a 9 (+7): you hit!
    (Combat): You killed Cave Bat.

Next down the corridor were three spiders, I got similar results trying to fascinate with three sets of:

(Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Undead.
    (Combat): you hit Error! Name_Property missing with Mesmerize Ooze.
    (Combat): you help Error! Name_Property missing with Sharp Note.

Followed quickly by three:

(Combat): You killed Small Brown Spider.

Got to the 'note room' that locks and had it fill with zombies and bats. Finally the Fascinate started to work:

zombies were fascinated for 30 seconds only
    bats were fascinated for 1 min 6 seconds

24 seconds + (6 sec x level 7) = 1 minute 6 seconds

So the timer worked fine for something that wasn't on my 'enhanced' list of oozes or undead.

On the way out fascinated a Rotting Halfling Zombie for 30 seconds only.

Next:

picked up the first rank of "Lingering Songs" for the bonus of "Your bard songs last 20% longer"

...and back into the catacombs, abandoned the previous run restarted, so same dungeon same difficulty (normal)

Fascinated bats for 1 min 19 seconds

normal fascinate + extra 20% = 66 seconds x 1.2 = 1 min 19 seconds so that math works

the undead were still only fascinated for 30 seconds.

I finished out and took the final 2 ranks in Lingering Songs for a total of +60% duration

My math says normal fascinate + extra 60% = 66 seconds x 1.6 = 1 min 45 seconds

Abandoned quest and started from scratch again, back in to check on the Friars Niece...

Sure enough bats fascinated for 1min 45secs and undead fascinated for 30 seconds

All mobs reporting errors in name as before and all objects reporting names correctly, even the chest thought I was fascinating: "(Combat): you help Chest with Sharp Note", though it still gave me cruddy loot.

Ruined Halls in House K, gargoyles and hellhounds fascinated for 1min 45secs, Arcane Skellie fascinated for 30seconds.

Off to the leaky Dinghy to speak to Sir Clowenks the unfortunately named in search of oozes...

The first foe, an Iron Defender was immune, I wasn't high enough level for Song of Making, but his human buddy was fascinated by me for 1min 45seconds.

A Lesser Gray Oooze, well, 'oozed' down the corridor towards me and was fascinated for only 30 seconds.

----------------

TL DR

Mobs that can be fascinated normally are under for 24seconds + 6 seconds per level

Mobs that require an enhancement to be fascinated (oozes, undead, etc) are only under for 30 seconds

Lingering songs, that adds up to 60% to bard songs works on normal fascinates but doesn't work on 'enhanced' fascinates.
    Last edited by Daine; 11-25-2013 at 02:50 AM.

I think someone else mentioned that a to hit over 100 kind of breaks the attack roll in a bad way.
    Might be the same with everything that is DC based too. Have you tried a DC lower than 100 (max. 79 perform) and see how this works?
    If it's really the case that DC > 100 is broken, that's something that should be adressed with the power creep curve that we have now.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Part of the problem is that the songs mentioned only last 30 seconds. Before all these updates and what not they lasted the same duration of the normal fascinate just it was a specialty song for constructs and undead. Now it only lasting 30 seconds makes it for the most part useless. I don't think power creep has anything to really do with it. It's simple when they changed the enhancement system and combined songs they broke something to do with those songs.