Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It looks like, originally, the Critical Return part was supposed to sit higher on teh graphic, because the beams on the logo match up with the beams higher up on the picture. But then they realized it would cut into the DDO logo on the top right, so they moved it down.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Critical can mean ~ extremely important
    Return can mean ~ go full circle back to the beginning

Combine the two and you get ~ reincarnation is important in fancy words

Concerning the picture, look again.
    The text has its only special effects on it, separate from the light rays.
    The light ray in question goes behind the green object on the left as well as behind the lettering.

Photoshop and like is based upon layers and something in a layer is going to stay there.

Yeesh - Isn't this kind of petty? I mean, art is subjective. And personally, I don't see the issue. And I'm a professional Web Designer.

What's next? "Janitorial Fail - Turdbind Janitor Fails to Refill Toilet Paper"

This is either a decent troll or the doomsayers are really grasping for straws.

Community Member

I think I've seen a wider screen version of this where the light rays match up.

It looks like all that has happened is that for a narrower screen the text has been moved and the rays don't line up.

It's not exactly worth moaning about.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    The rays of light shooting from the burst on the left of picture. The top word (critical) has a beam that doesn't pass through the C letter...just stops on C and starts again through A and L then stops again. Then in "RETURN" another phantom beam starts on right side of R and runs through the graphic. Im sorry but if you are a professional it is not possible to miss this.
    The words Critical Return and the D20 are meant to be viewed as a glass-like, flat prism, which will project an image to a viewer that may not line-up with the object viewed in the background, depending on the setup. Put penny in full glass of water, move around and see the broad range of possible ways to frame the image of the penny relative to where you know the penny really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
    The words Critical Return and the D20 are meant to be viewed as a glass-like, flat prism, which will project an image to a viewer that may not line-up with the object viewed in the background, depending on the setup. Put penny in full glass of water, move around and see the broad range of possible ways to frame the image of the penny relative to where you know the penny really is.
    I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with refraction. It doesn't look like that was the actual intention; it's just too far out of alignment.

It looks like the Critical Return layer got shifted downwards. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Left Hand, meet Right Hand. Try to know what each other are doing.

Look at the big top lazer in the snapshot. Take the far left point of that lazer and translate the whole background by moving that point down and to the right to where the top lazer on the C starts. That's the projection of the background through the wordsplash. Down and to the right. It's not a simple distorting of the background immediately behind the words.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by donblas View Post
    I think I've seen a wider screen version of this where the light rays match up.

It looks like all that has happened is that for a narrower screen the text has been moved and the rays don't line up.
    This ^

When I look at the main ddo page everything lines up correctly. (At least for me I have no idea if different screen resolution changes anything.)

So someone just did a quick change to make a smaller version instead of redoing the entire image.

Look at the big top lazer in the snapshot. Take the far left point of that lazer and translate the whole background by moving that point down and to the right to where the top lazer on the C starts. That's the projection of the background through the wordsplash. Down and to the right. It's not a simple distorting of the background immediately behind the words.
    All I see is if you move the words Critical Return to line up with the first beam of light, everything else lines up perfectly. Someone just moved the top layer down and threw it out of alignment. Most likely a cropping job.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    This ^

When I look at the main ddo page everything lines up correctly. (At least for me I have no idea if different screen resolution changes anything.)

So someone just did a quick change to make a smaller version instead of redoing the entire image.
    Yep, just checked that link for the heck of it. It was just as I said; someone moved the text layer and put it out of alignment with the artwork behind. Nothing to do with distortion, projection, or rendering.

Unhappy

My faith is... well I have doubts. Are other images possibly altered out there?

My faith is... well I have doubts. Are other images possibly altered out there?
    Just click on this link: https://www.ddo.com/en and then click on the arrows until the "Critical Return" splash page shows up.

You'll see how the image was initially lined up.

Already looked and saw the text was just cut and pasted without regard to the original design. I'm wondering if this photoshop phenom has occurred elsewhere now.

This. Hey I don't have a hurting rearend about it either way..it just looks sloppy. I wouldn't let it slide here.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Left Hand, meet Right Hand. Try to know what each other are doing.

First thing that comes to my eye is ... all letters in capitals and u in lowercase ... is that? if so, what did I win?
    Proud member of Lotusfly's squelch list!

I want my 10 minutes back.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    I think the issue is the text "Epic True Reincarnation", while the in-game description is only "Epic Reincarnation".
    That was what I spotted. The devs made a big point about the difference between "True" reincarnation versus Epic reincarnation. "Epic True Reincarnation" is a contradiction.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    The rays of light shooting from the burst on the left of picture. The top word (critical) has a beam that doesn't pass through the C letter...just stops on C and starts again through A and L then stops again. Then in "RETURN" another phantom beam starts on right side of R and runs through the graphic. Im sorry but if you are a professional it is not possible to miss this.
    I didn't miss anything I clearly mentioned exactly what you mentioned, we just made different assumptions. You assumed the text is transparent... Perhaps you're right, I assumed the text is not transparent looking at the OP's pic and not having any way to read the artists mind, as nothing else can been seen through it (look at the column behind it, the column is completely occluded by the text in the OP's pic. in addition the words "DDO's update 20" is also obviously in front of the the light rays, and also obviously not transparent.

So I got curious I just went to the home page and looked at it, now it all makes sense it appears your assumption that the text is transparent is correct:

The problem appears to be that the OP has a cr@ppy low res version.
    Last edited by IronClan; 11-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    The problem appears to be that the OP has a cr@ppy low res version.
    The OP's version is the one that appears as a loading screen in game. Apparently they only put the good version on the home page of their web site. (Probably the least likely place for people to see it compared to loading screens)

ya on webpage it lines up right... really people noticed that but not the crappy job they did on the 2 xpac after it was in store UGLY splash where they just covered stuff up.... that one has 1 load bars for gods sake..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12