Default Abut the naming vs profanity filter...

A while back I made a Barbarian, mainly because I thought up a name I considered cool and only befitting a Horc Barb. The naming filter allowed it, but in party chat my name shows up as #%!?#!%?#! Why would the naming filter allow something the chat filter... filters?

Also, is there any correlation between the symbols & letters, or is it random? I've always wondered...

Edit: really wish I could edit the title field...
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 11-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I named a bank toon Moesan (also had Larrysan and Curleysan on other accounts) and that hits the profanity filter, too. Had to urban dictionary that bad boy to figure out how it was profane....but it wasn't there, had to search other sites. Somebody obviously knows something about some kink/fetish that had input into list.

My roomie and I once played an MMO that you could not type:
    Agro because "gro"
    Computer because, "pute"

some reason these hit the profanity filter

"gro" and "pute" both became an inside joke around the apartment

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    ... but in party chat my name shows up as #%!?#!%?#! Why would the naming filter allow something the chat filter... filters?...

Different processes. Even some of their own items get nabbed by the chat filters when you link them. "Spell Penetration" items, for example.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post

some reason these hit the profanity filter

Google will tell you the most likely reasons for both....and they have similar connotations...but, yeah, I never would have had known those words, either...well, know them as words, I never learned enough French to know the one.

Eventualy, language translation and nanny filters will become sophisticated enough to filter anything that remotely sounds like something that is inappropriate in some other language. It will be discovered that everything sounds that way. On that day the in&^%net w%!# ce^%* 8766 === ?!^$<&^$ #%^&*( ###,@#$(^&#$^%$