Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is it time for another server merge?

I know this is a tired discussion that some of you audibly moaned when you read the title. But the subject has come up a few times for a reason. The PUG scene in DDO for lack of a better word is horrible. It does vary based on which server you are on and at what time and what level range plus a slew of other factors. I am not fond of the idea of a merge as I am sure many of you are not. Server pride is a very real thing and do not get me started on what would happen with all the duplicate names.

The fact remains that if you open the LFM panel and see less then 3 PUG's then there is an issue. Often times in the times I play I am lucky if I see one for my level 19 character. Frankly there are better solo games out there and I for one play DDO for the social experience. I cannot speak for everyone there but that is just me. So what inspired this thread is I (May or may not be) a beta tester for Elder Scrolls Online and they are doing something interesting with their servers that they call a "Mega Server". This is all public information I am not violating any Non-disclosure agreement by posting about it. I think this would work spectacularly for DDO if they could afford to implement it. Especially in light of all the server downtime issues they have been suffering from of late. Here is a copy and paste from the ESO wiki page on the topic as my next post (To reduce the wall of text somewhat).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Proud resident of Sarlona. Player of "Gilgimesh the Steel Demon".

Default MegaServer

Elder Scrolls Online is going to use new server technology. ZeniMax call it Mega Server. What does that mean?

Every MMO player usually faces with one big problem: you want to play but your favorite servers are occupied and you have to wait. It is a traditional situation that can be seen in most online games. Such situation is sad because you have to wait until free place appears. Moreover, overloaded and overpopulated servers work very slow. It is difficult to fight against monsters and against other players. It becomes impossible to win PvP because of lags and delays. Empty servers are faster but it is boring o play there. Familiar situation, isn’t it?

Modern MMO games do all they can to merge different realms into one system to make the game better. Cross-realm raids and battlegrounds, cross-realm chats and player transfers are examples of how game developers are trying to solve the problem of separated servers. Such innovations make the gameplay more interesting. But old-school concept of building separated servers is not the best way for modern MMO games.

Zenimax-Online are going to use new server technology called MegaServer. This technology will solve all problems of old-school server concept.

What is MegaServer?
    Megaserver is a new scaling server technology that allows to house all players on one server but in different worlds. The main feature of the technology is flexibility. It allows to maintain the same amount of players in a particular “world”.

It is not one server. No, it is group of servers with modern hardware that work together. ZeniMax does not tell details about how Mega Server works. It is their secret and we will be able to see everything with our own eyes. Developers say that MegaServer uses all modern server technologies and innovations.

How it works?
    When you want to enter the game no server list appears. You just click “Play” and you are in Tamriel. All players are housed on one “mega server” but in several separated worlds. These worlds are not stable. The system can add new players to the existing worlds or can merge several worlds with few players. It is a great technology that sets new MMO standard.

Here is the example of how the system works. Imagine that an area can house 500 people before being overcrowded (it is just an example to understand mechanism, so the numbers are not real). And at the peak times there can be 10, 20, 30 or more such separated areas with 500 players in each. At quieter times, the 'mega server' can merge such areas together to maintain the world active. That means your area will never look empty. You will be able to find players any time in the morning or evening. It will be interesting to play in any time of the day.

MegaServer solves problems of empty cities, empty dungeons, overcrowded areas, overcrowded servers and many more. Elder Scrolls Online will give you next generation MMO experience.

Details
    There will be 2 separate mega servers: one in the USA and the other one in Europe. This will help to prevent lags and delays. If there is only one megaserver in the USA, European players will not be able to get the same connection speed as players from the USA. Two Megaservers are solving this problem and nobody will get technical advantages. Anyway ZeniMax allows you to choose. Players from Europe will be able to play at US megaserver.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

All hail the MegaServer!

Of course it would be great if DDO had this kind of technology. EVE has had it from 2003? (although it now has a separate Chinese cluster) and I definitely count it as a competitive advantage that contributes to a sustainable population.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddragon87 View Post
    Is it time for another server merge?
    Nope.

Elder Scrolls Online is going to use new server technology. ZeniMax call it Mega Server. What does that mean?
    It means they can have marketplace 2, 3, and 4 as well? *yawn*

The biggest problem with pooling everyone on one server is the name conflicts get worse and worse. Solve the naming problem (guides and players) and there's little reason not to just run a single server.

EVE doesn't use the same MegaServer idea as ESO. You could have two people standing in the same spot in ESO, but they are in two instances and won't see each other. In EVE, everyone shares the same world, all the time.

What would be more feasible for Turbine would be to emulate the Rift model, where you have a home server and spend most of your time there, but the LFG panel worked across all servers in a cluster. Live on Server A, join a group on Server B, and you get hopped over to B for the duration, then you go back.

Oh, and PS: ESO is terrible. They just sent me another beta invite, and I plan on ignoring it just like the last several. Horrible game down to its bones.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Only seeing 1-3 LFMs *for your level range* is just something that happens. It's especially something that happens when you're level 19 (20+ running epics, <18 running lower level quests where you'd give them an xp hit). And most especially when a change to the XP curve capped out all the other level 19 characters.

Until you start routinely seeing 1-3 LFMS *per server* there's just no reason to merge. Sorry your level 19 is having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSomeQuestions View Post
    Only seeing 1-3 LFMs *for your level range* is just something that happens. It's especially something that happens when you're level 19 (20+ running epics, <18 running lower level quests where you'd give them an xp hit). And most especially when a change to the XP curve capped out all the other level 19 characters.

Until you start routinely seeing 1-3 LFMS *per server* there's just no reason to merge. Sorry your level 19 is having trouble.
    I don't see that as a justifiable reason to ignore the issue. 1-3 groups to choose from in a game with such a massive player population seems silly to me. We could have multiple pages of groups to choose from with popular quests filling near instantly or we can maintain the current system where your lucky if your group fills in an hour...assuming you find a group.

Seems like a no-brainer to me but it is dependent on Turbines resources and willingness to invest into the upgrade.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Community Member

The "MegaServer" idea is nothing new; it's the same basic concept that they had in games like Champions Online, and my experience of it is that it's annoying and "instancey", which is now a word.

I think the PuG scene on DDO is pretty good, but I wouldn't object to having more LFMs and more people with which to play. It's just a shame that server merging is kind of a drastic and fussy process that often sends "doomy" (already a word) signals.

I don't see that as a justifiable reason to ignore the issue. 1-3 groups to choose from in a game with such a massive player population seems silly to me. We could have multiple pages of groups to choose from with popular quests filling near instantly or we can maintain the current system where your lucky if your group fills in an hour...assuming you find a group.

Seems like a no-brainer to me but it is dependent on Turbines resources and willingness to invest into the upgrade.
    I agree. Lately it's been more like 1 or 2, with one person in each and waiting for an hour. It does pick up a little around 6-8pm est, but that's about it.

For the first time, I have soloed every quest but 3 since TR'ing. I'm now level 10. I think that's around 90 quests. I always try to pug, and it's usually the other way around, maybe solo a half dozen quests to 20.

The epic pug scene is almost just as bad.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

there are so many variables involved that you could write a full page on why it seems servers are not very populated. there are sites that track logins and some people base population on lfm activity. what really matters to people is logging in and finding other players to play with, weather it be opening up the lfm and finding groups right away or seeing a bunch of friends on their list logged in. they want to see their groups fill with little wait times and they want to see multiple instances in the marketplace. if it takes a long time to fill groups for popular quests, if people arent seeing their friends log in for long periods of time, if the chatter in the marketplace is silent most of the time than it doesn't matter how populated the servers really are. if it feels like a game is unpopulated, people are more inclined to leave or take long breaks maybe coming back some day to see if the game is better. if the numbers are really that low and theres no hope of improving the population count, than a server merge would make sense. otherwise, no sense in panicking the players that are still here or frightening off new players that arent hooked like some of us regardless how busy the servers really are.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Is it time for another server merge?
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Nope.
    Yes!

I just wanted to disagree with Memnir the Tyrant!

Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    The main difference between this and past threads on the same subject is I present a solution that could potentially make everyone happy. The only issue I see other then Turbine having to spend money on it is the name duplication issue. That however is something Turbine needs to address anyway because there are very few name combinations that have not been taken as is.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

I surely wouldn't mind having more people in the game.

The days of the F2P launch are long gone.

Community Member

Yeah, lets merge servers. Be nice to have even more lag and downtime.

The main difference between this and past threads on the same subject is I present a solution that could potentially make everyone happy.
    Without knowledge of Turbine's backend systems this "solution" is little more than a fancy buzzword. Come back when you fully understand the process necessary to code such a system and the issues involved in converting an existing product to such a system. Any advantages to converting DDO to this new system would be completely drowned out by the costs and disadvantages of doing so.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 11-21-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

The main difference between this and past threads on the same subject is I present a solution that could potentially make everyone happy. The only issue I see other then Turbine having to spend money on it is the name duplication issue. That however is something Turbine needs to address anyway because there are very few name combinations that have not been taken as is.
    there are not few free name combination, theres just lot of people with poor imagination.

Honestly i dont mind a server merge...I like big pugs and can not lie.

The SS is from 21:10 server time cannith server
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Razlengreenleaf; 11-21-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razlengreenleaf View Post
    Honestly i dont mind a server merge...
    Which server are you on?
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast