Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How best to earn a Heroic Heart of Wood?

Having hit level 14, level 20 no longer seems so far away. It seems a good time to begin planning for Heroic Reincarnation.

According to the DDO Wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Dungeon_Token), Heroic Reincarnation requires a Heroic Heart of Wood. One must barter for a Heroic Heart of Wood using Tokens of the Twelve. Such Tokens appear in the following quests:

AC1/AC2 Quest
    Yes/Yes The Chamber of Raiyum (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes An Offering of Blood (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes Chains of Flame (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes Against the Demon Queen (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes Zawabi's Revenge (Demon Sands)
    No/No Tharashk Arena (Vault of Night)
    No/No The Prisoner (Vault of Night)
    No/No The Jungle of Khyber (Vault of Night)
    No/No Haywire Foundry (Vault of Night)
    No/No The Vault of Night (Vault of Night)
    No/No Plane of Night (Vault of Night)
    No/No Bargain of Blood (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    No/No The Black Loch (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    No/No Spies in the House (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    No/No The Tide Turns (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    Yes/No A Small Problem (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No Partycrashers (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No The Snitch (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No Under the Big Top (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No Fathom the Depths (The Red Fens)
    Yes/No The Claw of Vulkoor (The Red Fens)
    Yes/No The Last Stand (The Red Fens)
    Yes/No Into the Deep (The Red Fens)
    No/No Devil Assault (Devil Assault)
    No/No The Chronoscope (Devil Assault)
    Yes/Yes The Lords of Dust (Free to Play)
    Yes/Yes Servants of the Overlord (Free to Play)
    Yes/Yes The Spinner of Shadows (Free to Play)

I have two accounts. AC1 is account 1. AC2 is account 2. Thus, I own Demon Sands, Phiarlan Carnival, and The Red Fens on Account 1 and Demon Sands on Account 2.

As a solo player with weak, first life, non-optimized, Rogue characters (good with traps), how would I best go about earning Tokens of the Twelve? Is there a particular quest pack I should purchase? Are there particular quests I should run? Is there any way to earn Tokens of the Twelve before reaching level 20? Is there anything special I must do after reaching level 20 to become eligible to play Epic Quests and earn Tokens of the Twelve?

I would prefer to avoid buying Heroic Hearts of Wood in the Turbine Store because I feel one should advance in a game by actually playing the game, but will do so as a last resort.

Thank you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Having hit level 14, level 20 no longer seems so far away. It seems a good time to begin planning for Heroic Reincarnation.

According to the DDO Wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Dungeon_Token), Heroic Reincarnation requires a Heroic Heart of Wood. One must barter for a Heroic Heart of Wood using Tokens of the Twelve. Such Tokens appear in the following quests:

AC1/AC2 Quest
    Yes/Yes The Chamber of Raiyum (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes An Offering of Blood (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes Chains of Flame (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes Against the Demon Queen (Demon Sands)
    Yes/Yes Zawabi's Revenge (Demon Sands)
    No/No Tharashk Arena (Vault of Night)
    No/No The Prisoner (Vault of Night)
    No/No The Jungle of Khyber (Vault of Night)
    No/No Haywire Foundry (Vault of Night)
    No/No The Vault of Night (Vault of Night)
    No/No Plane of Night (Vault of Night)
    No/No Bargain of Blood (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    No/No The Black Loch (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    No/No Spies in the House (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    No/No The Tide Turns (Sentinels of Stormreach)
    Yes/No A Small Problem (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No Partycrashers (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No The Snitch (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No Under the Big Top (Phiarlan Carnival)
    Yes/No Fathom the Depths (The Red Fens)
    Yes/No The Claw of Vulkoor (The Red Fens)
    Yes/No The Last Stand (The Red Fens)
    Yes/No Into the Deep (The Red Fens)
    No/No Devil Assault (Devil Assault)
    No/No The Chronoscope (Devil Assault)
    Yes/Yes The Lords of Dust (Free to Play)
    Yes/Yes Servants of the Overlord (Free to Play)
    Yes/Yes The Spinner of Shadows (Free to Play)

I have two accounts. AC1 is account 1. AC2 is account 2. Thus, I own Demon Sands, Phiarlan Carnival, and The Red Fens on Account 1 and Demon Sands on Account 2.

As a solo player with weak, first life, non-optimized, Rogue characters (good with traps), how would I best go about earning Tokens of the Twelve? Is there a particular quest pack I should purchase? Are there particular quests I should run? Is there any way to earn Tokens of the Twelve before reaching level 20? Is there anything special I must do after reaching level 20 to become eligible to play Epic Quests and earn Tokens of the Twelve?

I would prefer to avoid buying Heroic Hearts of Wood in the Turbine Store because I feel one should advance in a game by actually playing the game, but will do so as a last resort.

Thank you.
    Obtain assassinate and join groups that run those quests. Often the best way to start those groups is to join the quest IP with an lfm, but it seems like that might be troublesome for you. Maybe grab a hireling and give it a try, remember to take it slow and run on EH or EN by yourself first.

Unfortunately Demon Sands is bad for token farming because the walkups don't have epic versions and thus don't give tokens. The flags are epic and do but from the sound of it you may have some trouble with them.

For you, and for most people, you best quest farm will be devil assault, which you'd need to buy on both your accounts. Fortunately it's super cheap. Only run it on epic normal, not hard or elite. EN Devil Assault gives a guaranteed 1 token per run, and something like 75% chance at a second token. It's arguably the best token farm in the game.

The second thing you should do is starting right now (hurry!) collect your free daily challenge tokens every day. Stockpile as many as you can. I say hurry because the day reset in about 90 minutes. (Pretty sure it's 8pm eastern time, but may be 7pm eastern. I lose track with daylight saving.)

Even if you've never run challenges ever before you should collect them. Once you hit level 21 (not 20, sadly) you can start farming up tokens from challenges. It's quite reasonable to get 300 epic parts per challenge token, meaning you can convert them on a 1:1 basis. Save them up for a week and get 7 epic tokens, not a bad deal.

For a tutorial on how to run challenges, see this thread. I would suggest farming epic tokens from Dragon's Hoarde since you'll be using daily tokens.

The most efficient way of earning a Heroic Heart of Wood is running Cannith Challenges. Time is Money. (In my opinion!)
    5 mins is roughly equal to 1/3 of a token.
    15 minutes of playtime for a full token,
    4 tokens in an hour,
    5 hours playtime to hit 20 and grab your Heart.

Once you get some practice, you can do that in around 2-3 hours.
    I know your original post didn't mention Cannith Challenges as being something you own, but there you go. Food for thought.

Oh, and did I mention there is no ransack on the ingredients which are turned in for said tokens?
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    I know your original post didn't mention Cannith Challenges as being something you own, but there you go. Food for thought.
    Dragon's Hoarde is likely the best bet for farming them with daily tokens. No risk of forgetting to buy time, and no colossal crystal to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    For you, and for most people, you best quest farm will be devil assault, which you'd need to buy on both your accounts. Fortunately it's super cheap. Only run it on epic normal, not hard or elite. EN Devil Assault gives a guaranteed 1 token per run, and something like 75% chance at a second token. It's arguably the best token farm in the game.

The second thing you should do is starting right now (hurry!) collect your free daily challenge tokens every day.
    The most efficient way of earning a Heroic Heart of Wood is running Cannith Challenges. Time is Money. (In my opinion!)
    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Dragon's Hoarde is likely the best bet for farming them with daily tokens. No risk of forgetting to buy time, and no colossal crystal to worry about.
    Thank you very much to all three of you. Devil Assault looks very doable based on what I read in the Wiki (I thought both quests in the pack were raids), so I will grab it during the next quest pack sale. As for Cannith Challenges, I had no idea they eventually award the barter items I need for reincarnation! That's excellent, as I really enjoy the Challenges and run them regularly.

Challenges then are your best bet.

What server are you on? You may find groups that are zerging EH/EN that don't mind even undergeared folks tagging along. I certainly don't when I run epic quest cycles (and I tend to hit K, P, Fens, D, etc.)
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

5 mins is roughly equal to 1/3 of a token.
    15 minutes of playtime for a full token,
    4 tokens in an hour,
    5 hours playtime to hit 20 and grab your Heart.

Once you get some practice, you can do that in around 2-3 hours.

Oh, and did I mention there is no ransack on the ingredients which are turned in for said tokens?
    This is correct (though I'm partial to Buying Time, less randomness in the map, the same route will always provides the same amount of crystals basically). Labor Shortage is also okay.

Lords of Dust is reasonable and free so you can get both toons in there. Servants of the Overlord is also decent though a bit rough on solo first life players. These are great options if you're looking to not spend too much money. If you want to spend a small amount, go with Devil's Assault as mentioned. It's a decent token farm and you can often get players to come help you pull.

On a related note, is the Devil Assault EN token rate supposed to be 100%/75%? I was in a run last night trying to help a pug get some tokens and I received none in either of the 2 chests which would normally have them. I wasn't ransacked at all either. I don't run it that often, but I had heard before that at least one token was guaranteed with a chance of two if you're lucky. Perhaps something has changed recently? At any rate, many tokens were pulled by others in the group so the drop rate is still quite good, though I fear it's not 100% guaranteed anymore.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    On a related note, is the Devil Assault EN token rate supposed to be 100%/75%? I was in a run last night trying to help a pug get some tokens and I received none in either of the 2 chests which would normally have them. I wasn't ransacked at all either. I don't run it that often, but I had heard before that at least one token was guaranteed with a chance of two if you're lucky. Perhaps something has changed recently? At any rate, many tokens were pulled by others in the group so the drop rate is still quite good, though I fear it's not 100% guaranteed anymore.
    It may not be 100%, I was just going by anecdotal experience. I've been running it every day for the past week or so and I notice no change in the drop rates.

You may have just been unlucky enough to pull two shards of power. It appears that shards take the place of epic tokens. Would 95/75 be a better description of the drop rates, do you think?

And yeah, good call on lords of dust. Not the greatest fragment farm there is but it's free to play so definitely worth mentioning.

Oh, to the OP, based on the packs you currently own and the characters you have (rogues focused on trapping) you'll probably have good luck grouping for Carnival, which people tend to want trappers for. Specifically partycrashers and big top. Doing those two once a day might be worth adding to the rotation until you pick up devil assault.

Regarding challenges, you can trade in a stack of 300 epic mats (any epic mats) for 1 token of the twelve. Sadly you can't enter epic challenges until you're level 21, but it shouldn't take too long to hit 21 once you get to 20.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

If I'd like to farm mass amounts of tokens, I would probably start 5 alt accounts, level them up to 20, then use them to 6box epic devil assault ; )

Look up some pieces of epic loot you'd like to craft (scroll + seal + shard) and get to farming. By the time you can create your epic gear, you'll have more than enough for a heart. And some lvl 20 epic gear for twinking any future epic TRs.

Community Member

Default Necro but wondering similar question...

I'm playing on a VIP account, what's the most efficient way to earn a Heroic Heart of Wood? Is it still DA on normal? Are there still similar lockouts as you can't do the same quest more than once a day?

En da, put up lfm, 5 other people join, pass you their tokens, you earn from 5-10 tokens just from them, plus your 1-2.
    No lockouts for epics only.
    The only thing there is now is ransack, so you can do it around 10 times in short period.
    Also it is much faster this way than doing challenges.
    En da will take you around 30 min.
    Also dont do eh because it drops less tokens than en.
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 06-13-2014 at 02:00 PM.

DA is still the best bet in my opinion.

Nothing new since the Forgotten Realms expansion has even included tokens, so nothing much has changed...

VoN3 is a pretty easy farm too - not so much that you get a lot of tokens from it, but it is incredibly easy to find a group for and as a rogue, people will be happy for the extra +10%, +15% xp you bring to the quest, even if you do nothing else...

Devil Assault is my personal go to quest for token farming too, the good drop rates coupled with putting something along the lines of "EN DA token farm, will pass ings for tokens. All welcome!" in the LFM and people usually join pretty swift and only take 20 minutes or so. Get a few decent runs in and you can have all 20 tokens in a couple of hours.

Stoner81.

Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Devil Assault is my personal go to quest for token farming too, the good drop rates coupled with putting something along the lines of "EN DA token farm, will pass ings for tokens. All welcome!" in the LFM and people usually join pretty swift and only take 20 minutes or so. Get a few decent runs in and you can have all 20 tokens in a couple of hours.

Stoner81.
    This is good advice - I've done this and you can get them much faster this way than through the Challenges. A group can get through EN DA in around 20-25mins no problems.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drykks - Baanzai - Elyndaar

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Yes, and you don't even need to fill first. Just leave the LFM up: "In progress, come for free loot, please pass tokens."

Some of us have been running epics for so many years, we're happy to pass tokens to someone who needs them. Even in non-farming-specific runs, feel free to ask, "looking for tokens if anyone doesn't need theirs", and you might get some extra.

best way to earn tokens/fragments?
    This is not the best way but will help you out along the other ideas posted here,
    buy "the Vault of Night" pack (VoN for short).
    In the beginning join pugs, tell them you're new and looking for tokens& fragments.
    After a few runs, set up your own if needed.
    The pack has barely any undead (no worries about loosing sneak attack) and plenty of traps to boot (lots of exp too, good for filling epic destiny exp)
    This pack is very popular among ETR's (epic tr's)
    The are very likely to pass tokens& fragment to help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast