Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I go really simple.

Level 1: Haste potions, Pendant of Time.
    Level 4: Carnifex (even if not a melee)
    Level 5: Chrono set, False Life 20 amulet, Voice, Mantle (I carry both all the time and permawear one. This life I intend to farm more Mantles so I can make augments to replace these - I'll still wear Voice 5 to 19, but at 20 will put on Epic Kundarak Delving Boots with the augment and at 25 will hotswap EKDB and tier 3 Halcyon Boots; I might also make a level 1 XP item now that we spend more time from 1 to 4).
    Level 9: Mroranon belt (first time I bother with fortification usually). Grab SOS from bank. +6 Con ring.
    Level 11: Greensteel accessories
    Level 14: Cloudburst (/drool at how good this is levelling now)
    Level 20: Old epic gear
    Level 25: Epic Gianthold gear

Other than that I don't really change things much. I used to spend more time on getting the 'perfect' gear at each level, but then I realised I was spending more time on character maintenance than I saved by doing quests slightly faster.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dredre9987 View Post
    Hi, quick question for everyone out there.

How do you gear as you level up?
    • Level 1: Craft a feather falling cloak and one/two screaming weapon of bleed. Take out my Bottle of Air from the cache.
    • Level 2: Craft an armor of invulnerability. Take the same trip to add a +1 enhancement bonus to my weapons.
    • Level 5: Craft an underwater action item. Bank the bottle. Get Voice of the Master. Forget for the rest of my life that I have a trinket slot (I'm really bad at switching at the end of quests for XP)
    • Level 6: Craft a blunt undead beater (+1 Holy of Undead Bane) for Necro 1 and all undead-heavy quests that are comming next.
    • Level 7: Craft a heavy fortification ring.
    • Level 8: Take out my Gorgon Armor if I'm on a heavy armor user life. Craft Life Shield on my armor if not.
    • Level 9: Craft the relevant +6 stats I need on current life. Craft a Greater False Life belt.
    • Level 11: Take out GS gear from cache.
    • Level 12: Take out GS weapons from cache.
    • Level 14: Take out Black Scale Armor if on a medium armor user. Take out Blue Scale Robe if on a caster. Take out Parasitic Breastplateif on a light armor user. Heavy armor users can suffer a bit more.
    • Level 18: Take out my random ToD ring from cache (for 20% heal amp. I don't even care anymore which kind of ring it is, actually). Take off Cannith Boots from cache.

The gaps I fill in with random loot, or life-specific farmed loot. (Eg, currently I'm on a drow FvS life, so I farmed a bunch of short swords)
    Last edited by nibel; 11-21-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

-100 pots of cure/repair serious
    -exp retreat clickies/scrolls
    -acid burst weapon(s) at lvl1
    at lvl4 cove trinket and upgrade a set to AB of PG, craft holy of PG
    at lvl6 add +1 (skip if artificer)
    at lvl8 HBofPG
    at lvl10 +1
    at lvl9 +6 relevant stats
    at lvl11-12 GS

That's whan I always done.

Now I'm leveling juggernot, and I actually have only weapons, bold trinket, and trapping gear, and of course, repair and exp. retreat scrolls, plus bunch of random junk.
    I probably won't bother with better gearing until I face tougher quests.

Of course, I made docent for dog, as its too squishy to survive (I keep it only for boxes, but he must be set agressive to hunt them, so he often zergs on mobs).

As you can read, there are many different answers that can be given to your question.

As to the specifics, I will pass on that.

I generally equip my characters with the best equips I can get their hands on at the time, so it is a constantly evolving process that includes drops they acquire, and equips I have acquired or crafted from other toons that I have passed through the shared bank. Some items are BTC and those have to be farmed or from a previous life.

I want to thank everyone who has posted personally. One of the things I am doing is preparing for my first TR and so it is interesting to see what others do. Some things I am doing and others I had not thought of. Still on the fence about others thanks to the new prefix/suffix that was introduced with U19 (Looking at you Abashi, sp?). Please keep posting though, as the more posts and ideas, the more information people will have. Who knows maybe it will become a "signature" link if someone decides to compile the information.

For what it is worth, I hardly use Greensteel weapons any more on my main, other than the triple positive.

Sword of Shadow at 10, Cloudburst at 14, eSOS at 20.

SOS is better than Greensteel against a single target, and nothing comes close to Cloudburst against packs, where the AoE proc can easily deal a thousand damage if it hits 7-8 mobs, little or none of that being overkill.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

I have a set of ML:0 or ML:1 gear that I break out on a new life. Most important of which is the upped Quiver of Alacrity...sooooo choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

At 4 I get out my Cove trinkets (no matter what life, at least one of these will be amazing). I also have a Buttressing robe which is uber-good protection.

5 is Abishai stuff

7 gives Fens stuff

9 is my Cloaks of Invisibility, I have 2, one with Heavy Fort, and one with Master's Gift. Usually will put on the Helm/Belt of Mroranon. I also have a Mobile Ring of +5 Resistance from Cannith crafting.

11 - Minos, GS accessories, and DQ items (Seal of Earth, Lion Headed Belt Buckle, and Torc if there's a blue bar involved)

12- GS weapons

14 is the Masterful L16 Frozen Tunic, which is a total game changer for unarmed.

I try to keep my equipment as class-neutral as possible so I don't have to store very much of it. BtA and unbound items are a godsend.

Other stuff is fill in as needed.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

I only have one character that I really play, so I like to be a little more fussy with gear. It's just fun to get to use all the cool raid loot that I earned across various lives. Right now I'm playing through some divine caster lives, so gear looks like this (sorry I don't remember the names for the new items)

Hat: whatever -> sacred helm/40hp cove hat -> radiance hat
    neck: contemplation -> whatever -> torc -> evo focus
    armor: whatever -> ml 16 cav plate -> ml 20 cav -> leaves of the forest -> ??? (don't like my end game options here)
    trinket: pendant of time -> vib purple -> litany/wondrous (lots of swappables though)
    cloak: whatever -> mantle (need to figure out a good item to slot 5% in)
    bracers: crafted -> levik's -> convalescent/parrying (adjust heal amp % based on what else I have on)
    gloves: whatever -> bramble-casters (only because I'm pulling out so many ml 11 items)-> Reaver gauntlet -> pdk gloves -> other Reaver gauntlet
    belt: whatever -> greensteel blur/hp
    boots: exped clicky -> whatever -> 30% striding (titan, cannith, high road, others if I remember at the appropriate ML)
    rings: mostly crafted as I go, but also sometimes sacred band, ring of the mire, 20% amp tower ring, prr ring

Weapons: a mix of lootgen spell power 1handers (impulse when I have radiance and devotion on gear), spell focus 1handers, walls of wood, abbot staff, epic orbs, maybe a good thaum staff if I loot it at the right level.

Where it says "whatever" I may craft something, use an item that I find, hit the AH, or just leave the slot empty. Not a huge deal. I like to have feather fall, +saves, and +wisdom, the rest is optional.

Even so, sometimes I'll go a few levels where my saves item is "casting Nightshield" or my con item is Bear's Endurance or I just don't have X effect at all. It's not supposed to be perfect all the time, just use the cool stuff when I remember to put it on. I tend to grab a lot of stuff out of the cache at 11 and equip it through level 15 or so. My bank is basically just stuff I've pulled out that I'm done with, or stuff that I've pulled out but will use once I level up. Plus flagging items. I try not to use it for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    14 is the Masterful L16 Frozen Tunic, which is a total game changer for unarmed.
    None of my master-crafted ML16->14 stuff will hold a ML14 anymore. None of them. Bracers of Wind, Spare Hand, Blasting Chime, Frozen Tunic.

Some things make me cranky.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

None of my master-crafted ML16->14 stuff will hold a ML14 anymore. None of them. Bracers of Wind, Spare Hand, Blasting Chime, Frozen Tunic.

Some things make me cranky.
    I had the same problem. My stuff was in the reincarnation cache and only recently taken out. The Masterful just wasn't working. I solved it by disjunctioning the items and re-applying the Masterful shard. This also worked on the accessories that U20 reduced from ML16 to ML15 to change their absolute level, and then the Masterful went on top of that to make them wearable at 13. Rock boots hooray!
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    I had the same problem. My stuff was in the reincarnation cache and only recently taken out. The Masterful just wasn't working. I solved it by disjunctioning the items and re-applying the Masterful shard. This also worked on the accessories that U20 reduced from ML16 to ML15 to change their absolute level, and then the Masterful went on top of that to make them wearable at 13. Rock boots hooray!
    I tried ... a life ago? ... should probably do the same again (though I've since moved on, ditching Air Savant and instead did water, and now fire savant lives).

I would love to use them again as arti lives.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Archemancer View Post
    As you can read, there are many different answers that can be given to your question.

Yup and that is exactly why I posted this...If a new player comes and sees something like this maybe it will help them maybe it won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

1: Haste, Pendant, Bleeding of Scream
    5: Abishai set
    7: Fens Sets
    11-14: raid gear
    14: dragonscales/GH stuff
    16: DTs
    18: ToD stuff, Mindsunder stuff

Also...
    4 Cannith Challenge
    8 Cannith Challenge
    12 Cannith Challenge
    16 Cannith Challenge
    20 Cannith Challenge

And then I Cannith Craft the rest. I've also taken to using sickles, daggers, and kamas with red slots for my spellpower, since I can just craft Spell Lore III on and up my augment as I level. I just do that for stuff I can't cover with challenge gear though.

After a few lives, i think I've pared it down a lot. I used to spend an hour each level regearing, now I just grab and go.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    ETRing is a painful thing, because random loot mucks everything up. My gear sucks except for a few slots until 28 because thanks to random garbage trash stupid **** I cant plan loot anymore.
    ^Yup

My mains layout is pretty standard now, with only some items dependent what class/race I am playing. There is more, but this list is pretty much it.

lv1 - Crafted Shock of Bleeding wraps or Crafted Keen Falchion of Bleeding (might be min lv 2 now..?), Angers set, Phiarlin Pendant, Crafted Trinket of Melee Alacrity

lv 2 - Crafted Invulnerability docent w/med guild slot or probably still rags

lv 3 - Mirror cloak, illusionists robe

lv 4 - Greater Nimble Trinket, Lowbie deathblock anything, lv4 Frozen Tunic, Crafted +4 Dex Ring, Crafted +4 Wis Necklace, Crafted Holy of PG Greatsword

lv 5 - Abashai Gauntlets, Helm & Bracers, Crafted FF boots of +3 resistance w/Med Guild Slot, Crafted Imp False Life belt w/Med Guild Slot, Crafted +2 Evoc/Enchant Bracers, Voice & Mantle

lv 6 - Crafted Screaming of Stunning +6 Wraps, Crafted Holy of Lesser Vampirsm Wraps

lv 7 - lootgen if better

lv 8 - Gorgon Docent

lv 9 - Nightforge Bracers as hotswap for heroism clucky, Belt of the Mnorarn (sp?), Planar Gird

lv 10 - +3 Festival Icy Burst Holy of Pure Good Greatsword

lv 11 - Minos, Con Opp (HP) Cloak, Triple Air Googles (SP)

lv 12 - MinII Khopesh;s, Min 2 Greatsword (Wis +1/+2), Triple Positive Greatsword, Triple Earth Heavy Repeater, Vampiric Stonedusts

lv 13 - Tumbleweed, Levicks Defender

lv 14 - ...

lv 15 - Shard of Xoriat

lv 16 - Dragontouched, +5 Resistance/Corrosive Salt/Freezing Ice (+ various others)

lv 17 - ...

lv 18 - Ring of Thanis?Thormar?Tomas? the +6 CHA/+1 CON one (my only ToD ring!), Knosts Belt

lv 19 & 20 haven't really existed for a long time
    Last edited by voxson5; 11-21-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12