Community Member

Default New Enhancement Tree SLA Cooldowns

I'm enjoying an Acid Savant and I've reached the level where I can use 3 different Acid Spell-Like Abilities, SLA's. I would like to be able to cycle through all 3 SLA's without having to look down at my hotbar to see whether their cooldowns are done or not. After all, this is the fastest Action MMORPG out there, right? Where did the cooldown number come from? How was it determined? Specifically, it's 4 seconds for Acid Spray, 5 seconds for Acid Arrow, and 6 seconds for Acid Blast. Those seem excessively long. We're playing a game, not queueing for the lunch counter.

And while you're at it, the Pale Master Necrotic Bolt and Necrotic Blast used to be cast back-to-back before they were moved to the new enhancement tree. Now they are subject to the same arbitrary cooldown numbers of 5 and 6 seconds, respectively. And when I play my PM Wizzie I find myself counting or looking down at the hotbar to see if I can cast them again. And again, we're playing a game, and having fun, right? Why are we being restricted in this way? The mobs seem to have plenty of spells to cast against us and I don't see them slowing down any.

Quote Originally Posted by PyrrhusPyro View Post
    I'm enjoying an Acid Savant and I've reached the level where I can use 3 different Acid Spell-Like Abilities, SLA's. I would like to be able to cycle through all 3 SLA's without having to look down at my hotbar to see whether their cooldowns are done or not. After all, this is the fastest Action MMORPG out there, right? Where did the cooldown number come from? How was it determined? Specifically, it's 4 seconds for Acid Spray, 5 seconds for Acid Arrow, and 6 seconds for Acid Blast. Those seem excessively long. We're playing a game, not queueing for the lunch counter.

And while you're at it, the Pale Master Necrotic Bolt and Necrotic Blast used to be cast back-to-back before they were moved to the new enhancement tree. Now they are subject to the same arbitrary cooldown numbers of 5 and 6 seconds, respectively. And when I play my PM Wizzie I find myself counting or looking down at the hotbar to see if I can cast them again. And again, we're playing a game, and having fun, right? Why are we being restricted in this way? The mobs seem to have plenty of spells to cast against us and I don't see them slowing down any.
    That's because of their low sp cost. If they had lower cooldowns you would be able to spam the same SLA spending almost nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zibowskij View Post
    That's because of their low sp cost. If they had lower cooldowns you would be able to spam the same SLA spending almost nothing
    This is the answer.
    As a general rule, SLAs are as powerful as spell, much more SP efficient, but less time efficient due to cooldowns.
    If you want to keep spamming, include some actual spells in your spam rotation, and you'll be set.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Zibowskij View Post
    And why would that be a bad thing?

For the OP:
    What I used to do when I'm on my caster life is cycle trough the SLA's and the same spells.
    It depends on the quest that I'm on to decide if I set the meta's on for the normal spells.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    And why would that be a bad thing?
    Because spells are balanced to have a cost associated with their effects. Either you pay for the full regular spellbook version (and pay for metas), or you invest enough to get the SLA version, which trades free metas and cheap base cost for longer cooldowns. SLAs are supplemental DPS, not an entire rotation, you're still supposed to actually use your spellbook.

If you could just chain-spam SLAs forever, basically for free, why would anyone play a melee or especially a ranged char? You're just reducing an entire class to one or two enhancement trees.

You could also take the sla's from either fire or ice and spam those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Because spells are balanced to have a cost associated with their effects. Either you pay for the full regular spellbook version (and pay for metas), or you invest enough to get the SLA version, which trades free metas and cheap base cost for longer cooldowns. SLAs are supplemental DPS, not an entire rotation, you're still supposed to actually use your spellbook.

If you could just chain-spam SLAs forever, basically for free, why would anyone play a melee or especially a ranged char? You're just reducing an entire class to one or two enhancement trees.
    ^This

Community Member

aside from the fact that SLA are a pain in the bahookie to target, they are now useless in 90% of the content anyway
    ramping up the damage would not hurt anyone, truth is they would still be almost useless because they need now way to much AP.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    aside from the fact that SLA are a pain in the bahookie to target, they are now useless in 90% of the content anyway
    ramping up the damage would not hurt anyone, truth is they would still be almost useless because they need now way to much AP.
    i'm guessing this is palemaster vs savant.

a savant can boost the SLAs with metas making for some very cheap nukes. the PM however gets stuck with the poorly targeted necrotic SLAs that can't be boosted with metas

personally i loved bouncing between necrotic blast and burst for the bulk of the quest saving my SP for when things really had to die fast. since the enhancement pass i've not reworked my PM. the longer cooldowns also put me off.

not quite sure why we cant meta the necrotic SLAs. maybe it's because there is no SP cost beyond keeping your aura ticking which you'd probably do regardless.

on the savant side however the SLAs can be great and target just like the spell version. sure they are capped at lowish level spells, but they still kick out plenty of damage for their cost. on my air savant i use them for the trash and let rip with a full-flavour-behaviour spell when i see a juicy target. that feels a lot better balanced than the PM's SLAs do
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Shiradi, magic, chain and force missiles for a lot of dmg, very low sp, but still people are playing melee and ranged.

Community Member

Default Smoother gameplay is the point.

Thank you all for the input...but some of you are missing the point. It's the cooldown length that I am complaining about. I want the cooldown time shortened. I can already spam the spells, so that isn't an issue. And waiting an extra second or two, doesn't change that, it only makes it irritating. If the purpose really is to only use SLA's on occasion, rather than frequently, then increase our Mana Pool and put really long timers on the cooldowns. As it is, dropping a second or two, would make the spamming, that I am already doing with SLA's, much smoother gameplay. And it's the gameplay that is the point here.

Also, PM Wizards using N. Bolt and N. Blast, are not using SP, but instead using their HP. So the argument that one should be using more spells in the spellbook, rather than spamming SLA's doesn't hold here. Yet, N. Bolt and N. Blast are subject to the same cooldowns (roughly 5 seconds) as the Savant SLA cooldowns.