Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need a good upper/mid level set of heroic handwraps. Where/what are they?

Ok, so I've been playing a modified Drunk build to obtain a druid past life(10dru/6mnk/4fgt). I would have gone with the standard 9mnk/9dr/2fgt, but it turns out that's only going to get me a monk past life.

Anyway, I'm sitting at level 16 right now, and I'm finding myself really lacking in the weapon department. I've been using +3 handwraps with shocking II and ribcracker III for a few levels. I can't seem to find anything better. A guildy recommended that I use vampiric stonedust wraps, which I have in the bank. But I'm looking at them and I just don't see the appeal. Sure, maybe if I was looking for more survivability, they'd be great, but I'm honestly not having any problems staying alive. What I need is to kill things faster.

I'm pretty happy with the damage output that I've got right now. Things die pretty fast, even on elite runs. But I'm using level 12 handwraps, and I'm really wondering if there's anything better for my level. I've got some stuff in the bank waiting for me at level 20, so that's not a problem. It's just that right now there seems to be a real derth of upper-mid-level handwraps. The AH is pretty barren, sporting lots of useless stuff that's even worse than what I have.

Am I missing some important mid-level drop? Or am I just stuck slugging out these last few levels with outlevelled gear and hoping for a good random gen drop out of a quest/chest?

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Adamant...les_(Level_14)

YW

EDIT: Thaarak's are quite nice at 18, but with the xp curve changes 18 - 20 takes about 5 minutes these days.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredunease View Post
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Adamant...les_(Level_14)

YW

EDIT: Thaarak's are quite nice at 18, but with the xp curve changes 18 - 20 takes about 5 minutes these days.
    those are rather nifty, especially given the slots

lots of potential there
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

My challenge farmer is a pure monk who stays level 16 forever, so I had a vested interest in identifying the best wraps for him that I could. The best dps wraps I've found are crafted, and they're best by a decent margin:

+5 Holy of Bleed w/Red Slot: Greater Acid
    +5 Screaming of Pure Good w/Red Slot: Greater Acid

They are ML16 with masterful craftsmanship thanks to the change to the crafting ML formula for weapons and armor. They have enough enchantment level to qualify for paragon status which further adds to the dps.

Another option I considered are ML16 cormyrian handwraps, which can come with stunning. The downside of cormyrian is that they aren't paragon weapons, so even if you luck into the perfect pair the dps will still be lower than the crafted alternative.

If my guy wasn't a challenge farmer but instead just a regular character I'd probably switch the acid augment to electricty. I use the pure good version because I think the mansion is chock full of neutral mobs who don't bleed. For evil bleeders like in vale, amrath, etc... the holy of bleed are as good as it gets, plus no umd check.

EDIT: For comparison, the crafted wraps will be significantly better dps than fully-slotted adamantine knuckles.

Community Member

Default Best twink wraps

T1 alchemicals , byeshk/air.

Note that all those shards can be easily crafted unbound for you but you personally need to be able to craft masterful if you want +5 instead of +4.

If for some reason you don't want to go for crafted, my next best choice (after cormyrian) was ivy wraps. I never seriously considered them, though.

EDIT: Yeah, tier 1 alchemical are pretty hard to beat. That was beyond the reach of my challenge farmer, though. Byeshk/Air is indeed the best for stunners, and tier 2 only makes them ML18 for further dps.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    EDIT: For comparison, the crafted wraps will be significantly better dps than fully-slotted adamantine knuckles.
    Hmm, 2.5d8 -> 4d8 is pretty big in terms of crittable mobs in earth.

I'm going to assume seeker 6 as it's an easy to shoot for ball-park figure

11 + (.2 * (11 + 6) * 3) = 21.2 avg per strike

18 + (.2 * (18 + 6) * 3) = 32.4 avg per strike

Assume slotting two d6 augments in the orange/red slots = 7 avg damage for 39.4 avg damage per strike on addy knuckles versus 11.5 avg damage for holy + bleed = 33 avg damage, or 7 avg for screaming + pure good = 28.2 avg per hit. The addy's can also be slotted good + 1 damage mod which still only drops it to 35.9 avg per hit allowing DR breaking. I'm not sure it's quite as clear cut as you think Ellis. Although I'm perfectly willing to admit I might be missing something.

I've never used tier 1 alchemicals as I hate house C stuff, but I could see those being really good. To be perfectly honest, I don't run the addys on much except red-nameds as I prefer vampiric stone-dust in most situations for stun 6 and the lovely proc in earth.
    Last edited by inspiredunease; 11-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.

I have crafted +4holy silver if evil outsider bane which are nice to have at 16

Hmm, 2.5d8 -> 4d8 is pretty big in terms of crittable mobs in earth.
    I was completely unaware of the +1.5 base damage of addy knuckles, which makes them quite nice. It looks like you're forgetting paragon on the crafted wraps, though. Shouldn't it be 3d8 vs 4d8?

I'm going to assume seeker 6 as it's an easy to shoot for ball-park figure

11 + (.2 * (11 + 6) * 3) = 21.2 avg per strike

18 + (.2 * (18 + 6) * 3) = 32.4 avg per strike
    11? 18? Are you forgetting the enhancement bonuses altogether? Crafted are +5, addy knuckles are +4.

+5 3d8 = 18.5 base damage for crafted
    +4 4d8 = 22 base damage for knuckles

Assume slotting two d6 augments in the orange/red slots = 7 avg damage for 39.4 avg damage per strike on addy knuckles versus 11.5 avg damage for holy + bleed = 33 avg damage, or 7 avg for screaming + pure good = 28.2 avg per hit.
    What happened to the d6 damage from the red slot on the crafted wraps?

The addy's can also be slotted good + 1 damage mod which still only drops it to 35.9 avg per hit allowing DR breaking. I'm not sure it's quite as clear cut as you think Ellis. Although I'm perfectly willing to admit I might be missing something.
    The breakdowns use the following assumptions:

- Improved crit
    - Earth stance for +1 crit multiplier
    - Seeker 6 (irrelevant, since it's the same damage for all 4 wraps)

+5 holy of bleed w/augment
    +5 3[d8] = 18.5 base damage
    2d6 holy + 1d8 bleed + 1d6 augment = 15 per proc
    23*(18.5 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*15 =
    23*bonus + 425.5 + 36 + 285 =
    23*bonus + 746.5 per 20 swings

+5 screaming of pure good w/augment
    1d6 screaming + 1d6 pure good + 1d6 augment = 10.5 per proc
    23*(18.5 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*10.5 =
    23*bonus + 425.5 + 36 + 199.5 =
    23*bonus + 661 per 20 swings

Addy Knuckles w/2 dps augments
    +4 4[d8] = 22 base damage
    1d6 augment + 1d6 augment = 7 per proc
    23*(22 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*7 =
    23*bonus + 506 + 36 + 133 =
    23*bonus + 675 per 20 swings

Addy Knuckles that bypass DR/Good
    1d6 augment = 3.5 per proc
    23*(22 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*3.5 =
    23*bonus + 506 + 36 + 66.5 =
    23*bonus + 608.5 per 20 swings

EDIT: Note that all four wraps are ML16 due to augments.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    I have crafted +4holy silver if evil outsider bane which are nice to have at 16
    The recent changes to the ML formula also included dropping the enchantment level of greater banes from +4 to +3.

That allows crafting +5 holy of greater bane, ML16 w/masterful.

I was completely unaware of the +1.5 base damage of addy knuckles, which makes them quite nice. It looks like you're forgetting paragon on the crafted wraps, though. Shouldn't it be 3d8 vs 4d8?

11? 18? Are you forgetting the enhancement bonuses altogether? Crafted are +5, addy knuckles are +4.

+5 3d8 = 18.5 base damage for crafted
    +4 4d8 = 22 base damage for knuckles

What happened to the d6 damage from the red slot on the crafted wraps?

The breakdowns use the following assumptions:

- Improved crit
    - Earth stance for +1 crit multiplier
    - Seeker 6 (irrelevant, since it's the same damage for all 4 wraps)

+5 holy of bleed w/augment
    2d6 holy + 1d8 bleed + 1d6 augment = 15 per proc
    23*(18.5 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*15 =
    23*bonus + 425.5 + 36 + 285 =
    23*bonus + 746.5 per 20 swings

+5 screaming of pure good w/augment
    1d6 screaming + 1d6 pure good + 1d6 augment = 10.5 per proc
    23*(18.5 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*10.5 =
    23*bonus + 425.5 + 36 + 199.5 =
    23*bonus + 661 per 20 swings

Addy Knuckles w/2 dps augments
    1d6 augment + 1d6 augment = 7 per proc
    23*(22 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*7 =
    23*bonus + 506 + 36 + 133 =
    23*bonus + 675 per 20 swings

Addy Knuckles that bypass DR/Good
    1d6 augment = 3.5 per proc
    23*(22 + bonus) + 6*seeker + 19*3.5 =
    23*bonus + 506 + 36 + 66.5 =
    23*bonus + 608.5 per 20 swings

EDIT: Note that all four wraps are ML16 due to augments.
    My highest crafter only has around level 50-60 or so in each area. What do you need to make these? I have a crapton of mats stored up that I hadn't ever really planned to use.

Also, the highest augments I've seen are the 1d4 elementals. Where do you get the 1d6 version? Also, how do you add sockets to the handwraps, or is that something you have to find first, then deconstruct?
    Last edited by Tuffgar; 11-21-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffgar View Post
    My highest crafter only has around level 50-60 or so in each area. What do you need to make these? I have a crapton of mats stored up that I hadn't ever really planned to use.
    You need:

60 arcane levels to attempt a +5 enhancement bonus shard
    27 divine to attempt holy
    23 arcane to attempt bleed
    25 elemental to attempt screaming
    33 divine to attempt pure good

All can be made unbound by high level crafters, which shouldn't be too hard to find. The only thing you have to craft yourself is masterful craftsmanship, which can be crafted in any school around level 30. The hardest part for masterful is getting 50 house cannith favor, but that can be done on any character, not necessarily your crafter.

If masterful isn't an option, you could scale back the enhancement bonus from +5 to +4. This also lowers the arcane level you need by a fair amount.

Also, the highest augments I've seen are the 1d4 elementals. Where do you get the 1d6 version? Also, how do you add sockets to the handwraps, or is that something you have to find first, then deconstruct?
    ML16 red augments can be bought from the gianthold augment vendors for ancient relics.

You have to find red-slotted wraps in the AH and disjunct them.

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me. I wasn't even aware of the masterful craftsman upgrade. I'd taken a look at the Gianthold vendors, but must have somehow missed the 1d6 damage gems. Or maybe I thought those were lvl 20 versions bought from The Twelve tokens or something.

Hmmmm......is it only the random generated wraps that can be disjunctioned, or named items like the Ivy Wraps too?

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to break it down for me. I wasn't even aware of the masterful craftsman upgrade. I'd taken a look at the Gianthold vendors, but must have somehow missed the 1d6 damage gems. Or maybe I thought those were lvl 20 versions bought from The Twelve tokens or something.

Hmmmm......is it only the random generated wraps that can be disjunctioned, or named items like the Ivy Wraps too?
    only random-gen loot can be disjuncted
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Snip...
    Great break-down, thanks for fixing my pathetic math. Will still probably stick with vampiric stone-dusts and addy knuckles however, once I have a gear-set that works, I'm unlikely to change it, old stick-in-the-mud that I am

Great break-down, thanks for fixing my pathetic math. Will still probably stick with vampiric stone-dusts and addy knuckles however, once I have a gear-set that works, I'm unlikely to change it, old stick-in-the-mud that I am
    That's the best part of DDO, in my opinion. People can almost fully customize their playstyle. What works for one person might be completely useless for another.

It was good for me too, since I had no idea about the +1.5[W] from addy knuckles. While I stand by crafted being the best ML16 dps wraps around, they're just barely better than addy knuckles. So I definitely learned my something new.

Of course both pale in comparison to alchemicals, I think. Those suckers rock, not just for dps but especially for stunning fist. If only they weren't so difficult to obtain.

what i used are mabar wraps lvl12 or other random wraps with disruption for undead, smiting for constructs, banishing for eles, paralyzing/stunning for living mobs and holy of deception vs bosses (plus the improved deception ring from reavers fate which should be always on coz it rocks!).
    monk`s attack speed kinda guarantees those often vorpals.
    edit: craft risia icy burst on those random loot wraps, if you plan to do multiple TRs for better dps.
    Last edited by Acaios; 11-24-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Argo: Aldagor, Lenayaa, Ritsard, Blackbaron, Redfuryy, Asaske, Xyccon {Trolls Lair}

Quote Originally Posted by Acaios View Post
    what i used are mabar wraps lvl12 or other random wraps with disruption for undead, smiting for constructs, banishing for eles, paralyzing/stunning for living mobs and holy of deception vs bosses (plus the improved deception ring from reavers fate which should be always on coz it rocks!).
    monk`s attack speed kinda guarantees those often vorpals.
    edit: craft risia icy burst on those random loot wraps, if you plan to do multiple TRs for better dps.
    yeah...that involves farming those damn coins tho. I hate that. Probably worth it in the long run tho.... sigh.

yeah...that involves farming those damn coins tho. I hate that. Probably worth it in the long run tho.... sigh.
    I can get them for you wholesale. Seriously, though, one thing to consider about any type of additional effect on weapons is that some stuff will be immune to it. Lots of neutral mobs that holy doesn't work on, and bleed doesn't work on elementals or undead.

When searching the auction house for wraps with a red slot, check out the ones that have caster stuff on them. Those always seem to have red slots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast