Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    This is pretty much exactly what I was asking for in an earlier post wanting a mechanic similar to tokens/token fragments.

THIS just makes it even awesomer! Question: Will Heart Seeds be able to be placed inside bags?

Thanks for doing something with our feedback!
    Yes, Heart Seeds can go into ingredient bags.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqzor View Post

3) I will again request they simply be made BTA. I know you won't do it, but I can not think of any reason why its unbalancing to do so. Either way, we, as human persons, are playing a character through the content. If we are able to get one guy leveled/geared/etc to complete it, it stands to reason we could do so again. Which actual character is run becomes semantic (barring the obvious cases of quest flags, raid completions, btc loot, etc). For whatever future thing you want Valors to be BTC for... consider just adding a bit that *IS* BTC for that use, and let Valors be the currency portion. For example, if later you want some purchase to require a specific character to complete a thing on Epic Elite to do it, have EE offer an item on the npc reward list (with a 100% chance of being there... no one wants to be unlucky trying to get it to appear) which is used in the combine, and problem solved.
    I think this is a bit of a sticking point for the devs now. They have shown that they are fine with the hearts being bta as they were upon implmentation. They are now fine with the coms being bta (for purposes of buying hearts) as shown from this new change. The only thing they don't want us doing is using this new "currency" to buy "things" for our alts. The problem is, we don't know what these "things" are and many of us probably also don't care about the coms being used as a currency for anything other than hearts. They could simply create another new btc currency for all these new things they have planned and keep coms for hearts only and have them bta. I suppose we're meant to be completely WOWED by the new "things" that we know nothing about and be willing to spend our extremely hard earned coms on them instead of on epic TR. If we end up doing that, then we'll all be buying our hearts from the store and spending our coms on "things", which might be exactly what Turbine wants. Perhaps these coms were never really meant for hearts at all but for whatever the new system of items and upgrades that is on the horizon which we have little to no info on, but that the devs are adamantly pushing as a btc barter type system for coms.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by onivedlav View Post
    Level cap 30 is stil one year away or more. Just how much more content do you think will be released? And how many comms will it give? 80 comms each quest on EE? Don't forget the ransack penalty when you do your math.
    (32-17)*5=75, So 75 would be the number if they continue following the current formula. Ransack penalty doesn't factor into the math as any ransack penalty means you don't get any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    The only thing they don't want us doing is using this new "currency" to buy "things" for our alts. The problem is, we don't know what these "things" are and many of us probably also don't care about the coms being used as a currency for anything other than hearts.
    I get the impression they want to use valor as the currency for upgrading the level 30 endgame raid loot, similar to how commendations of heroism upgraded the endgame raid loot when the cap was 25. Based on the crazy price of hearts, though, I worry that such a system will be untenable in terms of storage. Something like 1000 comms to upgrade to tier 1, 2000 to tier 2, 4000 to tier 3 and 8000 to tier 4 or something crazy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    There are things that are smart and appealing to sell -content, fluff, features, even advancement. There are things that are dumb to sell -chief among these are tools to remove arbitrary obstacles to advancement. This is sigils of leveling all over again. It's an ill-conceived paywall that is guaranteed to drive people off and will not bring one new player to the game.
    Great post.

The number one thing Turbine needs is to keep players playing.

TR was an important mechanic for that reason. It gave people an incentive to keep playing the game while Turbine struggled to bring out more endgame content.

With the current endgame situation being the worst I have experienced in DDO's history due to a variety of poor design choices ER and Iconc TR Is needed even more then TR was back in the day.

Yet Turbine these systems have been implemented in a manner which seriously detracts from this primary goal critical to retaining customers.

In very basic terms there are two basic types of issues with Turbine's implementation here. First, is trying to monetize the ER process directly by making the comm drop rate and method poor making store purchases more likely. You make more money on heart sales this way in the short term, but you gut the effectiveness of the system serving as an effective method of retaining players. Second, the reward is very small for ER. That is a huge deal also as the TR rewards were on the weak side with some exceptions and these are even weaker compared to current character power. Rewards have to be compelling to serve as an effective means of keeping people playing.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

I think this is a bit of a sticking point for the devs now. They have shown that they are fine with the hearts being bta as they were upon implmentation. They are now fine with the coms being bta (for purposes of buying hearts) as shown from this new change. The only thing they don't want us doing is using this new "currency" to buy "things" for our alts. The problem is, we don't know what these "things" are and many of us probably also don't care about the coms being used as a currency for anything other than hearts. They could simply create another new btc currency for all these new things they have planned and keep coms for hearts only and have them bta. I suppose we're meant to be completely WOWED by the new "things" that we know nothing about and be willing to spend our extremely hard earned coms on them instead of on epic TR. If we end up doing that, then we'll all be buying our hearts from the store and spending our coms on "things", which might be exactly what Turbine wants. Perhaps these coms were never really meant for hearts at all but for whatever the new system of items and upgrades that is on the horizon which we have little to no info on, but that the devs are adamantly pushing as a btc barter type system for coms.
    not ANOTHER currency don't we have enough different currency / crafting systems / ingredients/ collectables... my bags are cry now

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I get the impression they want to use valor as the currency for upgrading the level 30 endgame raid loot, similar to how commendations of heroism upgraded the endgame raid loot when the cap was 25. Based on the crazy price of hearts, though, I worry that such a system will be untenable in terms of storage. Something like 1000 comms to upgrade to tier 1, 2000 to tier 2, 4000 to tier 3 and 8000 to tier 4 or something crazy like that.
    That's my first thought as well. They can't use old coms of heroism anymore due to the recent exploit so they needed to be phased out. These new coms could fill the role of upgrade widget for new raid gear. I'm hoping that isn't the case as it would make it even harder to justify spending the coms on an in game heart if the only way I can upgrade my raid loot is with those same coms.

I'm not necessarily against giving Turbine money. I just have very little interest in paying $12 each time I want to ETR for such a small relative gain. I don't think that each individual past life is worth $12 as well as the time investment to earn myself back to level 28. Others have different monetary thresholds. I get that, but this one is something I just won't pay for repeatedly. For myself, the option of buying a heart from the store isn't appealing if I have to do it 3 out of every 4 ETR's. I'll ETR if I have the coms for it or just ignore it until I do. It turns the game into a grindfest to get the proper items needed to save money on a TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    not ANOTHER currency don't we have enough different currency / crafting systems / ingredients/ collectables... my bags are cry now
    Well if not for the exploit, they wouldn't have had to retire a number of current currencies. Another one on the pile of 5000 we already have isn't going to break me on bank space. It's when they add some new crafting system that has 10 - 100 new unique ingredients that messes with my head... and my bag space. Knowing about that exploit, I'm somewhat surprised that this new currency even takes the form of a physical item and not just another currency counter along with copper/silver/gold/plat/AS. If the coms were always going to be btc and be a large number in the thousands, they might as well have just added it there and limited the effect of another duping exploit down the road. It also would have made the whole storage issue irrelevant.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 11-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    They can make their money selling cosmetics, monster manuals, tomes of learning, xp pots, stat tomes, bank space, augments, adventure packs, premium races and classes, and yes even the dreaded expansion packs. But they will make no money if players leave because they aren't making any progress. This is my fundamental point. If the game isn't rewarding, and by rewarding I do specifically mean that feeling of advancement, then people will leave. People who leave don't buy anything.
    Most of that stuff is one and done stuff that needs an 8 year old game to attract enough new players that stay around long enough to buy them in order to be useful. The rest of us already have all that, much of it had from the 750ish TP's they give us for favor every free heroic TR we do (anyone who thinks they are doing us a favor by letting us keep our favor with epic TR's has another think coming, it's to not repeat the mistake they made by resetting the TP treadmill with heroic TR).

There are things that are smart and appealing to sell -content, fluff, features, even advancement. There are things that are dumb to sell -chief among these are tools to remove arbitrary obstacles to advancement. This is sigils of leveling all over again. It's an ill-conceived paywall that is guaranteed to drive people off and will not bring one new player to the game.
    Nothing short of a major overhaul is likely to bring in the number of new people an 8 year old game would need to keep things going using a build an account method. While the game may not make money off players that leave, none of us will be playing if the game doesn't make enough money to justify giving it a budget at all. We just saw what sort of expansion pack they can afford to release on the sort of budget they are given. I doubt many are going to be willing to buy another.

We have to deal with reality and the reality is that this game doesn't have the player base to spread the costs out over and expect to get by any way except by many of us being willing to drop ~$13 every other eTR or so or finding a way to get most of us to choose to pay monthly.

Community Member

I think this is a bit of a sticking point for the devs now. They have shown that they are fine with the hearts being bta as they were upon implmentation. They are now fine with the coms being bta (for purposes of buying hearts) as shown from this new change. The only thing they don't want us doing is using this new "currency" to buy "things" for our alts. The problem is, we don't know what these "things" are and many of us probably also don't care about the coms being used as a currency for anything other than hearts. They could simply create another new btc currency for all these new things they have planned and keep coms for hearts only and have them bta.
    Except that would make it so these new "things" wouldn't be in direct competition with hearts for those comms. If these new "things" turn out to be gear upgrades or some sort of flag that isn't sold in the store, another form of currency won't get players to buy hearts in order to save their comms for the new things they can't buy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    The number one thing Turbine needs is to keep players playing.
    This may have been the case when Turbine was an independent company. Now, the most important thing is to meet earnings expectations and if that means lowering them by dumping under performing games, so be it. IMO keeping customers around wont do anything for the game. Keeping them around and buying at least a notable portion of their TR hearts or convincing many more to pay monthly is their only hope of meeting the expectations they have to.

I think this is a bit of a sticking point for the devs now. They have shown that they are fine with the hearts being bta as they were upon implmentation. They are now fine with the coms being bta (for purposes of buying hearts) as shown from this new change. The only thing they don't want us doing is using this new "currency" to buy "things" for our alts.
    This is exactly their perceived problem: they don't want players to have a choice of who to purchase upgrades for. I say perceived problem, because its incredibly easy to eliminate. Just put a required bit in the end reward list with a 100% drop rate, and any character wishing to purchase said thing will be required to complete said content. The rest of the balance of purchase (ie, how many completions needed, how much time should be invested, etc... all the other balance concerns that go into using any form of currency) are the same regardless of character used.

And before any person/dev says "its not the same for any character, some can farm faster than others"... so what? Is the intent to penalize people playing non-farm-oriented toons with forcibly slower progression? All humans playing this game have the choice of rolling up some super farm build (like a pal2/sor18 bladeforge shiradi or whatever)... level the playing field. Don't punish people for avoiding flavor of the month speed run builds. People can only advance Valors by questing, let them quest on whatever fits the LFMs that day, or whatever their Guild Group needs when they log in, or whatever character they personally prefer. This is basically like making Platinum bind to character... earning money only on a single character is silly, it pushes people to play single characters rather than multiples, and to play speed run builds rather than a diverse selection.

People already have to earn Karma to Epic TR, which is per character no matter how Valors work, and Hearts are already effectively BTA with the Seed changes. TR'ing is covered: you'll have to play that character for the xp, and any character can contribute to the Heart. This is about having the currency available for those "Future Things", without being forced to completely ignore the current Heart system to avoid penalizing yourself if you want to use "Future Things".

Since you can get Valors from any current quest, it stands to reason that you could get whatever "Future Thing" they add by doing current (or in the future, old) content. So it doesn't seem to be a "must play the new thing 100x" issue. Its just a "must play a specific character 100 hours" issue. What point does forcing people to log in one character for a set amount of time before upgrading have to do with anything? Rhetorical question perhaps, but until we see the "Future Things" its going to be a major inconvenience at best and a sever detractor to enjoyment at worst. As I had mentioned, I know they won't change it now because they will want to release the "Future Things" first so we can see what they are; and so Turbine can measure peoples responses... only then will they adjust anything if they feel necessary. But avoiding this one point doesn't address the others:
    - Can seeds be un-converted? If so, just make Valor BTA.
    - Was it balanced to lv30? If so, why not tell us.
    - If not, why not, and how will that affect things in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Let's see. I can put 1000 comms into my tiny bag, 1000 into my small bag and 2500 into my large bag. Or I can stack 1000 into one of them, crunching them into seeds when needed that can go into any of the three. I just saved a space and added the flexibility to keep everything in the same bag as well as stack past 4500 if I'm not in the mood to eTR when I get to that point. I also gained a way to transfer them between characters without making them add something else as a BTC mat for whatever it is they may want to use them for later on (some sort of gear upgrade or flagging mechanic would be my guess).
    Except:

Except that would make it so these new "things" wouldn't be in direct competition with hearts for those comms. If these new "things" turn out to be gear upgrades or some sort of flag that isn't sold in the store, another form of currency won't get players to buy hearts in order to save their comms for the new things they can't buy.
    Except we would then be needing to gather both types thus more junk in our bags. Like I said this change is designed to make us buy hearts from the store and use up more bag space.

If they want to replace heroic coms just replace them already instead of these involuted shenanigans.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 11-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

That's exactly my point.

/places tinfoil hat firmly on head

So Turbine puts all sorts of effort into coms of valor and the epic and iconic TR system. Eventually, they relent enough that players are at least somewhat happy with the results. Com turn in rates are seen as high by many and out of whack with the original dev posted intent. We eventually adapt and perhaps they even lower the cost to cheers from the players.

A few months pass

A new raid is released... with many cheers from the players. An upgrade system is put in place that allows you to use coms of valor for upgrades. This turns out to be the only way to upgrade the items. Players start using their stashed coms for upgrades and then have nothing left for epic TR. They are then encouraged to go to the DDO store for hearts. Our com rate remains the same, however we are now given more uses for those coms. And maybe this was Turbine's plan all along. The TR system was just a diversion. Coms were always meant for these other upgrades and we're met with a virtual bait and switch for the TR system. The costs are effectively increased and we've all been fooled. This is the only explanation I can come up with for their adamant refusal to go with bta coms. This additional use (or something similar) was planned from the start and btc coms were a necessity to make it work. The hearts and coms used for hearts are now essentially completely bta so the heart use has no bearing on the binding status of the coms any more.

It's similar to how coms of heroism worked. At first, you needed them ONLY for the new red and green armor. And the drop rate was poor, but it was ok because they only had one minor use and you might need at most 3 per toon. Then Turbine found their "mistake" regarding weapon upgrades and now you needed 3 per weapon, in addition to the new Antipode which was added. OK, it's getting tougher to get the coms needed but still doable. Then they add a couple upgrade tiers on the weapons at 5 and 7 coms while increasing drop rates by a small amount. With only CitW to play, we're starting to get a serious shortage of coms. FoT was added later with a much higher com rate, but CitW was never touched again. They increased the demand for coms over time without increasing the rate of acquisition in CitW to match. I worry a similar situation may be in store with coms of valor. They will continue to add additional uses for them without increasing our potential rate of acquisition, which narrows down what we end up using them on. If we feel that the cost of hearts is high right now, imagine if you also have to use those same coms for other essential uses later like loot upgrades.

Don't even get me started on what may happen a few years down the road. Our characters get better and we start breezing through quests faster and faster. Suddenly, we are actually acquiring coms of valor faster than "intended" though completely within the rules of the game. History shows us how they will deal with this. The same way they tried to deal with players having too many tokens of the twelve. They attempted to completely abandon the old speedy system with a new one that would take 10 times as long for the same result. Players were not pleased. I wonder if Turbine has planned for the future with coms of valor the same way. Are we inevitably headed toward a nerf or new system for epic TR a few years from now when, through the normal course of player advancement, we start collecting "too fast" for Turbine?
    Last edited by redspecter23; 11-21-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Great news ! thanks for listening

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DagazUlf View Post
    Karma is still too high.

Number of seeds is too high.

And now I not only have Comms taking up inventory space, but yet another item taking up bag space.

I really can't understand why people are liking this at all.
    Instead of introducing another type of ingredient, wouldn't it make sense to make the comms BtA and lowering the costs for hearts using comms of valor?

Quote Originally Posted by XxJFGxX View Post
    Instead of introducing another type of ingredient, wouldn't it make sense to make the comms BtA and lowering the costs for hearts using comms of valor?
    They could do exactly that, except they have mysterious plans for other things for us to spend our coms on and whatever that mysterious thing is, it's quite important for them that we not be able to buy it for alts. It appears to me that they are jumping through hoops so that they can make this mysterious thing happen. Whatever it is, it's trumping functionality for both coms of valor and hearts of wood so I'd imagine that the devs feel it's pretty important for the game. Until we know exactly what this mysterious thing is that's so important that is uses the same system as epic and iconic hearts, it's hard to judge whether it's a good idea or not. Some speculation is that coms will be used for item upgrades, perhaps new raid gear or upgrading from EN to EH or EE items, but that's mostly speculation.

As much as I dislike the idea of new systems and new ingredients, I think that epic and iconic reincarnation deserve their own system and currency and shouldn't be lumped in together with much more than a few minor extras like the already introduced pots to give a use for coms for people that have no interest in TR or will just buy the hearts anyway. Lumping another major system into this one is something that I can only see as troublesome.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 11-21-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    better idea . .. don't ETR at all and spend my time/money on better games.
    Let me know if you find any... DDO is still the best MMO out there.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by onivedlav View Post
    A game should be relaxing and fun, lately it just makes me mad.
    You can control that yourself. You can make THIS game relaxing and fun, if you so choose.

"Moderation in all things."
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Thank you for the continued evolution/progress of the epic reincarnation system.

The cost seems high to me as a mostly EH player while leveling, but it's too early for me to say for sure. An EN player can't acquire a heart reasonably and shouldn't bother trying unless they buy it from the DDO store.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast