Community Member

Default Please Fix the new Heart Currency

I am likely not alone in saying that this new Epic and Iconic Heart system is impacting my store purchases. I have all my toons up to epic levels farming XP and comms. I have completed over 40 Heroic TRs over all my alts and it was common for me to store bought XP Pots and even Otto's Boxes to accelerate my TR process.

Now that I am working on some epic/iconic lives, it seems that if I decide to spend TP to buy these XP boosters, I am forced to also purchase a heart for another 1295 TP from the store since I will not farm the proper amount of CoVs while using any XP booster. Otto's boxes make it even worse and the reality is they are not even comparable to what a Heroic Otto's Box would do. You get about 55% of the required XP and get nowhere near the comms required to TR so they in fact cost you 6900 TP instead of 4995 TP to use.

Just saying, these are impulse items and people may buy them one time thinking they will work similar to the previous named versions, but they in fact do not and are a waste of TP, IMHO. You have to make a product that has value for the consumer and make that purchase easy.

And what about those players that would love to ETR, but do not have the surplus income to buy hearts? Overall the Epic TR system could be a really good thing for DDO, but you have to make it easy on the player base to participate, otherwise it will lose steam fast.

I agree things in ddo tend to lose steam fast, especially recently. But not because it's too hard but mostly because it all has become too easy.

It would be nice if they stacked in ingredient bags, too, up to their turn in rate.

Community Member

The return on comms by level scales up faster than XP. So you'll still save time, overall, if you use an XP booster to rush to 28, and then sit at 28 farming the rest of your comms, than if you just slowly leveled up without boosters and saved comms as you go.

Assuming you're not so hardcore that you burn through your available at-level endgame missions in a day's playtime, of course...which, actually, you probably are if you're spending so much in the Store...

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    The return on comms by level scales up faster than XP. So you'll still save time, overall, if you use an XP booster to rush to 28, and then sit at 28 farming the rest of your comms, than if you just slowly leveled up without boosters and saved comms as you go.

Assuming you're not so hardcore that you burn through your available at-level endgame missions in a day's playtime, of course...which, actually, you probably are if you're spending so much in the Store...
    That's assuming when getting higher level, you somehow only run the higher level quests.
    Guess what, the lower level quests are generally more fun for me, and because they don't have crazy minimum level on them, I can play them with my friends who used the store to ER or just got to lvl 20 after their HTR.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post

You sound like a dev. If your goal is a past life, you will farm quests that give efficient XP even if you still like variety. And this is typically the type of player that consistently would spend money on heroic pots. The level 25+ quests, although fun to run, take too long to farm to be efficient.

I bought and used an epic Otto's when u20 hit and received something like 416 comms during the balance of the ride to 28...again not worth it since I also have to invest in a heart. CoVs should be tied directly to XP, or just eliminate them and use karma as the sole currency.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    I am likely not alone in saying that this new Epic and Iconic Heart system is impacting my store purchases. I have all my toons up to epic levels farming XP and comms. I have completed over 40 Heroic TRs over all my alts and it was common for me to store bought XP Pots and even Otto's Boxes to accelerate my TR process.

Now that I am working on some epic/iconic lives, it seems that if I decide to spend TP to buy these XP boosters, I am forced to also purchase a heart for another 1295 TP from the store since I will not farm the proper amount of CoVs while using any XP booster. Otto's boxes make it even worse and the reality is they are not even comparable to what a Heroic Otto's Box would do. You get about 55% of the required XP and get nowhere near the comms required to TR so they in fact cost you 6900 TP instead of 4995 TP to use.

Just saying, these are impulse items and people may buy them one time thinking they will work similar to the previous named versions, but they in fact do not and are a waste of TP, IMHO. You have to make a product that has value for the consumer and make that purchase easy.

And what about those players that would love to ETR, but do not have the surplus income to buy hearts? Overall the Epic TR system could be a really good thing for DDO, but you have to make it easy on the player base to participate, otherwise it will lose steam fast.
    Well, you could use the TP's from the Otto's box in one life to buy 3ish TR hearts for the next three lives and probably earn at least another despite Ottoing past several levels during those lives.

Taking an all or nothing approach just doesn't seem to make sense to me (but then neither does playing at all if you are going to pay to avoid playing or needing a reason to keep playing beyond wanting to play, so I'm probably way off here).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    It would be nice if they stacked in ingredient bags, too, up to their turn in rate.
    They do. You just have to hit Gather manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergius64 View Post
    It's not just Commendations of Valor. When your quest reward is an ingredient of some kind, it does not automatically go into green bag.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sergius64 View Post
    So in my ingredients bag, they wills tack up to 4200? I don't have to have multiple stacks of them going?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    So in my ingredients bag, they wills tack up to 4200? I don't have to have multiple stacks of them going?
    no, the 4.2K will pop the bags limit, but varg is working on a BtA ingreed that will help with that. 100 coms for a seed, so only 42 seeds to stack a full hearts worth. sure it means 2 bag slots, but it also means earning 100 comms on an alt will let you pass that to the char that wants the heart

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...f-Valor-Update
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    no, the 4.2K will pop the bags limit, but varg is working on a BtA ingreed that will help with that. 100 coms for a seed, so only 42 seeds to stack a full hearts worth. sure it means 2 bag slots, but it also means earning 100 comms on an alt will let you pass that to the char that wants the heart

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...f-Valor-Update
    Yeah, but why bother adding another ingredient that will take another spot in a bag that is already cluttered by lots of things when it could have been easier to just make the original ingredient BTA to reduce most of the clutter problem. The seed just add another layer of complexity to an already complex system. Having the CoV BTA would have solved the problems solved by the Seed, without adding another layer of complexity ( and another layer of potential bugs. )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Yeah, but why bother adding another ingredient that will take another spot in a bag that is already cluttered by lots of things when it could have been easier to just make the original ingredient BTA to reduce most of the clutter problem. The seed just add another layer of complexity to an already complex system. Having the CoV BTA would have solved the problems solved by the Seed, without adding another layer of complexity ( and another layer of potential bugs. )
    even if it was BtA we'd then be left either playing bank-a-mule or we'd invest a shared bank slot to keep it all in.

personally i'd have prefered to see tokens of the twelve restored to their former glory as epic tokens and have them put into every quest. but i get why that was a non-starter due to the ease of farming and how clear we made it that heroic TRing is not to be messed with

i like the new seeds thing, it is an idea that came up a few times in the original comms discussion. if we can't have BtA comms then at least some BtA fragment, which is exactly what they are giving us.

personally i find collectables more irritating than ingredients. at least i can unlock a large ing bag per life. as it is i completely ignore all collectables to avoid that problem.

now my ideal solution is to remove all weight and storage limitations on both collectables and ingreds. in some games such items go into a different inventory area that has no size limit. DDO could make that a wonderful interface with options to group by bind status, search and sort and a matching bank interface to share. but bags cost money so... no such luck
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!