Thread: Basic help

Default Basic help

I will be Iconic TRing into a PDK-Arti, after I do an Epic and Heroic TR. I have a few Rune Arms (Coronach, Animus, mainly light damage ones but no Splendor), a 3-pos GS Repeater, and the Doublecross repeater. The plan is to be a decent arti in Epics (range and traps). What gear and amount of skill points should I be going for when it comes to Spot, Search, Disable Device? I should also add, that my past lives are Monk (x2), Ranger, FvS, Sorc, Druid (x3), and Ftr, so I have a +4 to damage and a +6 to the dog.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by Gljosh View Post
    I will be Iconic TRing into a PDK-Arti, after I do an Epic and Heroic TR. I have a few Rune Arms (Coronach, Animus, mainly light damage ones but no Splendor), a 3-pos GS Repeater, and the Doublecross repeater. The plan is to be a decent arti in Epics (range and traps). What gear and amount of skill points should I be going for when it comes to Spot, Search, Disable Device? I should also add, that my past lives are Monk (x2), Ranger, FvS, Sorc, Druid (x3), and Ftr, so I have a +4 to damage and a +6 to the dog.
    You should always max ranks in trap skills if you want to be an effective trapper. Beyond that, it's all about gear. Always have a max search/spot/disable/open lock/intelligence item for your level and just swap them in when doing traps. Also, carry +5 tools and some form of heroism/greater heroism. A luck item will also help but isn't entirely necessary. As long as you've got all of that, you should be able to get 95% of the traps in the game at level.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    You should always max ranks in trap skills if you want to be an effective trapper. Beyond that, it's all about gear. Always have a max search/spot/disable/open lock/intelligence item for your level and just swap them in when doing traps. Also, carry +5 tools and some form of heroism/greater heroism. A luck item will also help but isn't entirely necessary. As long as you've got all of that, you should be able to get 95% of the traps in the game at level.
    So pretty much
    23 (31 Max)-Ranks
    15-Gear
    5-Tools
    10-Stat score
    A 53 "unbuffed" skill number.

Assuming you're going Int based for your arti you won't have any trouble keeping your trap skills maxed out. I've not had any trouble hitting any traps with mine in epic content. The hardest part in dealing with traps on an arti is the lack of evasion when you aren't in Shadow Dancer.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

So pretty much
    23 (31 Max)-Ranks
    15-Gear
    5-Tools
    10-Stat score
    A 53 "unbuffed" skill number.
    Plus your int score, or dex/wis in the case of open lock/spot. You should also have or wear an int item (just swap it in of you're not going int based).

I would consider heroism/greater heroism to be part of that score as well. Carry a stack of heroism pots until you can use GH scrolls and just make sure the buff is active before you do any trapping.

Pro tip: arrange your trap gear and skills on a single hotbar so you can just quickly click down the line to do all your trapping.

relevant buffs (heroism/GH/int item)-->search item-->search skill-->disable item-->disable skill-->open lock item-->open lock skill

I hate keeping a group waiting while I'm doing traps and this makes it go much faster. If the group can handle itself without me, I'll usually pull out of combat to get the traps before a battle is over.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Spot

Save your skill points and don't spend them on Spot. If you keep your INT maxed you will not have a problem searching for them. I like to max these skills Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, UMD, Spellcraft, and Jump. I put the remainders is Concentration, Balance, Heal and Repair. Along the life journey I will keep Search, Disable Device, and Open Lock gear handy

http://ddowiki.com/page/Skills.

I don't splash, because I want the arty capstone and I want my dog to be more buff. If you get the capstone you can use an item like this and get 20 minutes out of it, http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Visor_o..._Render_Guards I carry this around to give Death Ward to folks that need it in the pug. There are suprised when you have it and they get 20 mins.

My 3 favorite rune arms are:
    • Hando of Tombs
    • Corruption of Nature
    • Toven's Hammer

http://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_Arm

There are tons of repeaters to choose from. I always make sure to have a paralyzer, banisher, and smitter. And I try to have one of each of these, Doublecrossbow, Silver Slinger, and Needle/Quil. For melee I use the Chimera's Breath Rune Arm to save a feat, because it grants Bastard Sword Proficeicy. I use 3 swords for melee along the way, Chimera's Fang, Templars Retribution, and Nightmare.

Since the arty spell power got decreased in the Enhancement pass I know look for, or craft items that buff spell power, crits, etc. At epic I'm running a fully upgraded set of Flawless Blue Dragon Armor at epic to boost spells and carry around less spell gear. The new Enhancemets are straight forward.

You did no ask about feats, so I will spare you those details.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    Plus your int score, or dex/wis in the case of open lock/spot. You should also have or wear an int item (just swap it in of you're not going int based).

I would consider heroism/greater heroism to be part of that score as well. Carry a stack of heroism pots until you can use GH scrolls and just make sure the buff is active before you do any trapping.

Pro tip: arrange your trap gear and skills on a single hotbar so you can just quickly click down the line to do all your trapping.

relevant buffs (heroism/GH/int item)-->search item-->search skill-->disable item-->disable skill-->open lock item-->open lock skill

I hate keeping a group waiting while I'm doing traps and this makes it go much faster. If the group can handle itself without me, I'll usually pull out of combat to get the traps before a battle is over.
    Great advice. All of CThruTheEgo's posts are great in this thread and the others too.