Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default (Not anymore) Seeking advice on buying MotU - confused by different options

    [UPDATE: I got SC Collector's edition + MotU Standard edition from the DDO Market]


    I'm a premuim member who owns most of the packs that have been released before update 9, but no packs or expansions after that time (cause i had stopped playing the game). I only have 20 TPs and farming for TPs is out of the question for me atm, so i intend to pay through a pre-paid Visa for electronic transactions (or something similar, i had used such a Visa-card for previous purchases of TP bundles). In case it matters, i also live in EU (Europe).


    What i basically wanted to buy at first was the Epic Destinies. But people advised me to buy MotU, cause it's an awsome expansion, and it unlocks the EDs, as well.
    However, there are various different ways of purchasing MotU and i got a bit confused.

    Firstly, there's the DDO Market http://store.turbine.com/store/turbi...oryID.58516100 which shows the Base and the Standard edition.
    And secondly, there's the in-game DDO Store which shows a Complete, an Epic, and a plain MotU edition.


    We can brush-off the last option (plain MotU in-game store edition), cause it doesn't include the EDs, so that leaves us with 4 different options.

    1. MotU Base Edition: $19.99
    ----------------------------
    3 FR Adventure packs
    EDs
    Lesser Tome of Learning


    2. MotU Standard Edition: $34.99
    ---------------------------------
    3 FR Advenrure packs
    EDs
    Druid class
    Eveningstar Challenge Pack
    Greater Tome of Learning
    1.000 TPs
    Veteran status (lvl4)
    DDO Classics Adventure pack bundle (= Phiarlan Carnival, Attack on Stormreach, Path of Inspiration, Dreaming Dark)


    3. MotU Complete Pack: 4995 TPs
    ---------------------------------
    3 FR Adventure packs
    EDs
    Druid class
    Eveningstar Challenges pack


    4. MotU Epic Pack: 3995 TPs
    -----------------------------
    3 FR Adventure packs
    EDs
    Eveningstar Challenges pack



    Some comments:
    Regarding option no 2, i don't care at all about having the Vet lvl 4 status, and i already own the packs in that bundle except Attack on Stormreach.
    Regarding the Druid class, i'd like to have it, but it's far from being a priority to me.
    Regarding the Eveningstar Challenges pack, i have no idea what this includes and if it's any good
    Regarding those Tomes of Learning, i feel kinda... lukewarm
    Regarding the in-game DDO Store editions, i'm wondering if there's something more that comes along with them but it's not mentioned because of lack of space.

    Turbine Point Bundles:
    30Euros: 3450 TPs
    50Euros: 6700 TPs

    I've also read that if you buy the SC expansion, you can get MotU half price, which puts an extra twist to the whole matter, but i don't know if this offer is still valid.


    I have no problem with giving 50euros to buy enough TPs at the DDO Store, or $35 to buy the Standard edition from the DDO Market. But i wouldn't like to spend more money than needed - or for something that i wouldn't like.


    So i'm looking forward to hearing your advice/suggestions/ideas on which edition you think it would be better for me to buy. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-30-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    My biggest advice I can give is: wait until the holiday sales that are probably coming next week. Last year, the expansion on the website was 75% off. Worth waiting to see at least, unless you must have it now.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmankowski View Post
    My biggest advice I can give is: wait until the holiday sales that are probably coming next week. Last year, the expansion on the website was 75% off. Worth waiting to see at least, unless you must have it now.
    Yeah, i didn't mention anything about sales cause I'm somewhat (but not very) anxious to buy MotU and EDs, but if they're only a week away, of course i can wait. And 75% off is a big offer, i could wait more than a week for that i suppose. Thanks!

    Oh, btw, the holiday sales should apply both to the in-game DDO Store and the DDO Market, right?
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Last year the market had separate sales from the DDO store. I am basing all of this on the past of course. I'm not sure what will happen next week.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default right

    Quote Originally Posted by kmankowski View Post
    I'm not sure what will happen next week.
    As Jim Morrison put it: "The future's uncertain (and the end is always near)"
    http://youtu.be/Sf9soeYILDQ
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  6. #6
    Community Member Panzermeyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thelanis by way of Salt Lake City
    Posts
    705

    Default

    If you have run challenges in House C then the evenstar challenges are the exact same idea, same as Crystal Cove and slightly similiar to Mabar.

    There are 6 challenges that have level ranges from 15-30. 6 staring them will give you PDK favor, which can often be in short supply. They are worth some really good XP the first time through. After that you run them for ingredients that can be turned in for crafted items. Personally the items are not super awesome, but have some situational/build specific uses. I run the House C Challenges a ton as the items are pretty good depending on the class, I don't run the Evening star challenges a ton, except for grouping occasionally for some excellent XP.

    Attack on Stormreach will give you 7 or teen level quests that are pretty fun. But again if you TR it provides more content in that level range that is difficult to grind out due to limited content.

    One playing at Epic levels, it really is pretty damn easy to get XP so the tome of learning is really no huge deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grecan View Post
    I've also read that if you buy the SC expansion, you can get MotU half price, which puts an extra twist to the whole matter, but i don't know if this offer is still valid.
    If this offer is still valid and 6700 TP gets you enough for both SC and MotU I would definitely go with that option. Cause you end up getting more content to play.

    If you do a bit of TRing, the SC will help you with those teen levels that are light on content because the quests and explorer areas have heroic versions of them. Plus all the Wheloon quests are PDK favor which can be in short supply.

    If not then you don't have to worry about it as much but SC will give you an additional 10 Epic quests to run.

    Provided that the prices you gave are in US dollars, if the above deal doesn't stand then I would go with Option 2. It is less than the 30 Euro TP package, and you get the Attack on Stormreach and 1000 TP, in addition to all for half the 50 Euros that you will need to spend to get either TP packages. That would be the better deal IMO.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

    Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)


  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    If you have run challenges in House C then the evenstar challenges are the exact same idea, same as Crystal Cove and slightly similiar to Mabar.
    No, I haven't run any of those, only Mabar some years back. Are the House C challenges free2play?


    Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    There are 6 challenges that have level ranges from 15-30. 6 staring them will give you PDK favor, which can often be in short supply. They are worth some really good XP the first time through. After that you run them for ingredients that can be turned in for crafted items. Personally the items are not super awesome, but have some situational/build specific uses. I run the House C Challenges a ton as the items are pretty good depending on the class, I don't run the Evening star challenges a ton, except for grouping occasionally for some excellent XP.
    I see...


    Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    Attack on Stormreach will give you 7 or teen level quests that are pretty fun. But again if you TR it provides more content in that level range that is difficult to grind out due to limited content.

    One playing at Epic levels, it really is pretty damn easy to get XP so the tome of learning is really no huge deal.


    If this offer is still valid and 6700 TP gets you enough for both SC and MotU I would definitely go with that option. Cause you end up getting more content to play.

    If you do a bit of TRing, the SC will help you with those teen levels that are light on content because the quests and explorer areas have heroic versions of them. Plus all the Wheloon quests are PDK favor which can be in short supply.

    If not then you don't have to worry about it as much but SC will give you an additional 10 Epic quests to run.
    My highest lvl char is 20. I haven't done any TRing yet. But when i got back to the game and saw that the cap has raised to 28 (and it will eventually raise to 30), i began wondering if the content I own is sufficient for me to reach the cap. I asked a couple of people and was told basically what you just said. But in any case, i'll list here the packs i own:

    Shan-To-Kor
    Sorrowdusk Isles
    Tangleroot Gorge
    Delera's Tomb
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Devil Assault
    Red Fens
    Vault of Night
    Sands of Menechtarun
    Gianthold
    Necropolis 3 and 4
    Vale of Twilight
    Reaver's Reah
    Devils of Savarth (Amrath)
    Inspired Quarted
    Dreaming Dark


    Does it look like enough content? Am i missing anything great?


    Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    Provided that the prices you gave are in US dollars, if the above deal doesn't stand then I would go with Option 2. It is less than the 30 Euro TP package, and you get the Attack on Stormreach and 1000 TP, in addition to all for half the 50 Euros that you will need to spend to get either TP packages. That would be the better deal IMO.
    Hmmm, I'm still a bit confused with all the euros to dollars to TPs conversions considering also the different editions and options for buying them... But thank you very much for your input
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  8. #8
    Community Member Panzermeyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thelanis by way of Salt Lake City
    Posts
    705

    Default

    No, I haven't run any of those, only Mabar some years back. Are the House C challenges free2play?
    Check out the ddowiki.com to find out what you can craft in the Eveningstar Challenges. The cloaks can be pretty good depending on your build. The weapons, you are hit or miss on.

    Overall both sets of challenges are not f2p. That being said you can pick yourself up everyday a challenge token which allows you free admission into a challenge each day (they are bound to character but one per account, and do not expire so you can collect them).

    Quote Originally Posted by Grecan View Post
    Shan-To-Kor
    Sorrowdusk Isles
    Tangleroot Gorge
    Delera's Tomb
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Devil Assault
    Red Fens
    Vault of Night
    Sands of Menechtarun
    Gianthold
    Necropolis 3 and 4
    Vale of Twilight
    Reaver's Reah
    Devils of Savarth (Amrath)
    Inspired Quarted
    Dreaming Dark

    Does it look like enough content? Am i missing anything great?
    For first lifing everything you have just fine with your content.

    If you get into the TR swing, then you will find that your content is very very light in the 14-17 lvl range. You will find it very difficult to level (Ie take a long time). And it will mostly hit you when getting from 18-19 to 20. In that regard the SC and/or Attack on Stormreach adds a lot of content for those level ranges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grecan View Post
    Hmmm, I'm still a bit confused with all the euros to dollars to TPs conversions considering also the different editions and options for buying them... But thank you very much for your input
    Well the two MotU packages you listed had $ in front of the numbers so I assume you are talking US Dollars for those packages. As such you are looking at about 15 Euros for first package and 26 Euros for Option 2.

    So considering that the two TP packages you included (in Euros) the first will NOT even get you option 2. I would recommend the following.

    If you can get SC and a half of MotU with the 50 Euro TP package (option 4), get that. Great bang for your buck. If you cannot get both with the 50 Euro TP package, then I would go with option 2 just for the addition of Attack on Stormreach and the 1000TP.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

    Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)


  9. #9
    Community Member ArgentMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Well, someone at Turbine was listening, because all the MoTU packs just went on sale 35% off today in the in-game store.
    No, seriously:
    http://www.ddo.com/en/store?utm_sour...paign=20131115

    On top of that, you'll notice that it's also a double-bonus TP sale, so if you're buying TP to buy MoTU, it's effectively even cheaper.

    Might as well get the full pack at that point.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Cool great news after the crash

    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentMage View Post
    Well, someone at Turbine was listening, because all the MoTU packs just went on sale 35% off today in the in-game store.
    No, seriously:
    http://www.ddo.com/en/store?utm_sour...paign=20131115

    On top of that, you'll notice that it's also a double-bonus TP sale, so if you're buying TP to buy MoTU, it's effectively even cheaper.

    Might as well get the full pack at that point.
    Woooooooot, this is exactly what my doctor prescibed after the servers went down






    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentMage View Post
    Well, someone at Turbine was listening
    <3 you Someone *hugs*
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-21-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    The cheapest way currently to buy MotU is with Shadowfell at the same time in the DDO Market.

    Place Shadowfell Standard Edition in Cart: 26.99Euros
    Add 50% Off Motu Standard option when inCart : 15.74 Euros
    Get 2000 TP as part of this Deal (1000 from each Expansion) to spend on whatever.

    You'll be emailed 2 codes to apply to your account through myaccount.turbine.com


    Total 42.73 Euros.

    FAR FAR cheaper than the DDO Store ingame, even with the 35% off motu and double points sale.


    That said, wait a Week, and check the DDO Market for Black Friday sales, they usually drop the prices somewhat, and if you can get Shadowfell Standard Edition cheaper and it still lets you add MotU to it, that'll be even better.

    Whatever you do,don't buy through the ingame store, it is far far cheaper to do it through the DDO market and you get more besides.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentMage View Post
    On top of that, you'll notice that it's also a double-bonus TP sale, so if you're buying TP to buy MoTU, it's effectively even cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloista-motu View Post
    ...double points sale.
    OK, first of all, i just checked the in-game DDO store and the TP bundles' prices haven't changed from what i posted in the OP. So i guess i have already included that double bonus-TP sale? It doesn't say somewhere that it's a special offer or limited-time offer or anything...

    The price i see in-game in Euro is 6700 TP for 50 euros
    On DDO Market i see in dollars 6300 TP for $ 60

    edit: oh, this explains it... https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-bonus-points they probably made an early announcement


    Quote Originally Posted by Cloista-motu View Post
    The cheapest way currently to buy MotU is with Shadowfell at the same time in the DDO Market.

    Place Shadowfell Standard Edition in Cart: 26.99Euros
    Add 50% Off Motu Standard option when inCart : 15.74 Euros
    Get 2000 TP as part of this Deal (1000 from each Expansion) to spend on whatever.

    You'll be emailed 2 codes to apply to your account through myaccount.turbine.com


    Total 42.73 Euros.

    FAR FAR cheaper than the DDO Store ingame, even with the 35% off motu and double points sale.

    ...

    Whatever you do,don't buy through the ingame store, it is far far cheaper to do it through the DDO market and you get more besides.
    Thank you for your advice


    Option 1
    ---------
    At the DDO Market i can currently buy SC Standard edition $29.99 + MotU Standard edition $17.49 at 50% off
    The price i get for both bundled together is $47.48 which equals about 35-36 euros atm

    And i get a lot of extras, like
    2000 TP (that you mentioned)
    Greater Tome of Learning
    Veteran Status (lvl 4)
    Attack on Stormreach
    1 Character Slot
    Lesser Tome of Epic Learning
    One +1 Skill Tome



    Option 2
    ---------
    If i want to buy something similar at the in-game DDO store, then: SC Standard Pack (2495 TP) + MotU Complete pack (3247 TP at 35% off)
    5742 TP for both, so with 50 euros=6700 TP i have 958 TP left-over

    No extras in this option



    So yeah, looks like the 1st option is way better

    I wonder why there's such a difference between those two options...
    I'm not sure i have this correct, but maybe the major difference is that at DDO Market you can only give "real" cash, while at in-game DDO store you can give farmed TPs?




    Quote Originally Posted by Cloista-motu View Post
    That said, wait a Week, and check the DDO Market for Black Friday sales, they usually drop the prices somewhat, and if you can get Shadowfell Standard Edition cheaper and it still lets you add MotU to it, that'll be even better.
    Yeah, but how can i be sure that buying SC in a week (at discount) will still offer me the option to buy MotU half-price?
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-22-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Black Friday Sales have arrived!

    Shadowfell 50% off in the DDO Market.

    The 50% off Motu when bought with Shadowfell is also still available.

    Total priceof Shadowfell StandardEdition and MotU Standard edition, when bought together, under current sale: 23.98 Euros.

    Best deal available by a country mile.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Thumbs up eventually...

    I ended up purchasing SC Collector's Edition + MotU Standard Edition

    They costed me (during the Black Friday special offer!) $24.99 (SC) + $17.49 (MotU) + about $6.4 taxes (don't remember the exact number)
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-30-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload