Thread: Back to ViP

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Red face Back to ViP

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Correct. We'll be having a VIP promotion this winter to give VIPs free Epic Hearts for their epic level characters. We'll have more details/dates of the promo out pretty soon, but the general idea is the qualifications will be simple: be a VIP, and have an epic level character.
    Well after some pondering and belly-aching and wishywashing, this announcement, along with other incremental changes to ViP and Dev efforts, has me ViPing it again. 3 month trial.

Maybe I am a sucker, but, I didn't buy Shadow something so I figured the funds can support this again for a time. Let's see what 2014 brings in DDO's 8th (!) year.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

Welcome back!
    Proud to be a Ghostbanian.

I too have been considering trying vip out for the first time myself. I haven't even looked at the price of an epic heart, so I am not sure if it would be worth it or not though.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I too have been considering trying vip out for the first time myself. I haven't even looked at the price of an epic heart, so I am not sure if it would be worth it or not though.
    $20 bucks buys you enough points for ONE epic heart. $10 more and you have enough for a three month membership.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post

Maybe I am a sucker
    You said it, not me.

Game ain't getting meh monies, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    Well after some pondering and belly-aching and wishywashing, this announcement, along with other incremental changes to ViP and Dev efforts, has me ViPing it again. 3 month trial.

Maybe I am a sucker, but, I didn't buy Shadow something so I figured the funds can support this again for a time. Let's see what 2014 brings in DDO's 8th (!) year.
    Welcome back and I didn't know...good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    $20 bucks buys you enough points for ONE epic heart. $10 more and you have enough for a three month membership.
    I would only do 1 month of VIP if I was going to try it.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I would only do 1 month of VIP if I was going to try it.
    It's 29.97 for 3. Pretty fair.

And don't forget the TPs (500 / mo) and Gold rolls (x1 per week).

Overall, I still harbor some hesitation so I did not go back to the 1 year plan. I will say, playing in my static group tonight, the movement boost was a nicer oomph than I thought it would be and the extra xp icing.

So you are solving the problem that players which are at level cap pre-u20 without any CoV can use a free epic TR for VIP only? This is chicanery for premium players imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Somehow, I don't think this $ value, the upcoming VIP Epic Heart bonus and the need for 4200 CVs are unconnected.

That said, I too am considering a month of VIP...
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Community Member

Roll out the barrel!
    We'll have a barrel of fun.
    Then smash said barrel for a ransack bonus.
    Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    So you are solving the problem that players which are at level cap pre-u20 without any CoV can use a free epic TR for VIP only? This is chicanery for premium players imho.
    Well... a VIP is a "very important person" after all. Giving the same benefit to premium players makes little sense to me if you want to promote people to subscribe...

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Well... a VIP is a "very important person" after all. Giving the same benefit to premium players makes little sense to me if you want to promote people to subscribe...
    It is a fix to a problem they introduced rather than a benefit, a fix just for vip. vip and premium are just two names for payment methods, there is actually nothing premium about premium. And finally I would be stupid if I buy all the content possible as premium, which I did, and then go vip.

just for anybodies information, the problem that occurred is that players (including me) leveled their toons to cap before u20 and did not collect a single CoV. Now they introduced epic TR system and they expect from those players to either
    a) farm 4200 CoV at level cap or
    b) buy hearts at store.

Now they solve the problem for vip only by granting free epic TR for them. I feel discriminated as premium, who bought everything, to be honest. Luckily I am having a good time with my heroic TR toon at the moment.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 11-20-2013 at 04:26 AM.

It is a fix to a problem they introduced rather than a benefit, a fix just for vip. vip and premium are just two names for payment methods, there is actually nothing premium about premium. And finally I would be stupid if I buy all the content possible as premium, which I did, and then go vip.
    I know it's not fair to premium players, but from a business point of view it's best to provide this benefit to VIPs only. In this thread you can see that some people are actually considering going VIP again because of this benefit. VIPs give a nice and steady cashflow, premiums who already bought everything are not quite as interesting anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    I know it's not fair to premium players, but from a business point of view it's best to provide this benefit to VIPs only. In this thread you can see that some people are actually considering going VIP again because of this benefit. VIPs give a nice and steady cashflow, premiums who already bought everything are not quite as interesting anymore.
    I agree. But instead of thinking the whole day about how to get even more money out of the player, they should work on new content(!) which they can sell and not in increasing grind (tomes, hearts) which then can be bypassed by buying store items.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 11-20-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Why not be vip? Its $8/month. Its $5 if u include the free points. Why not have the best experience?

After all, you toss away a lot more than that every month buying garbage from companies that make Turbine look like saints

Thought about this a while before replying.

Congrats! Hope you have lots of fun with it, and it works out well for your playstyle.
    There is no free lunch.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

And finally I would be stupid if I buy all the content possible as premium, which I did, and then go vip.
    Unless they introduced features which you felt overcame those prior purchases.

I feel, after much inner debate and reflection - rather than a knee jerk reaction - that I see Turbine making a concerted effort to get ViP back to a 'ViP' status. Perhaps there isn't value for you there yet. I felt it was time to go back. I have all content bought except the latest expansion pack; to me, that means if I discontinue ViP again or I feel the value isn't worth the cost, I can cancel again and still be a in a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    Thought about this a while before replying.

Congrats! Hope you have lots of fun with it, and it works out well for your playstyle.
    You are very kind, hope to see you in game. Happy Hunting.

Community Member

just for anybodies information, the problem that occurred is that players (including me) leveled their toons to cap before u20 and did not collect a single CoV. Now they introduced epic TR system and they expect from those players to either
    a) farm 4200 CoV at level cap or
    b) buy hearts at store.

Now they solve the problem for vip only by granting free epic TR for them. I feel discriminated as premium, who bought everything, to be honest. Luckily I am having a good time with my heroic TR toon at the moment.
    Let's be fair here. You bought points and then purchased content (Probably on sale so you could get it as cheaply as possible) with the intent that you'd have access to the entire game without restriction, like a VIP, but without having to ever give Turbine another nickle for a subscription fee to actually be a VIP.

And now you complain that you feel slighted because VIPs get something extra?