Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fefnir_2011 View Post
    So don't. and quit worrying about whether or not you "got mine".

Is it really that hard to log on one day out of seven for the two minutes it takes to roll your dice? Legally speaking, I don't think you can hold Turbine accountable for your own forgetfulness when they are already giving you the ability to have your 52 gold rolls a year. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink....
    It's not a matter of "remebering". People have responsibilities. You can't expect people to schedule the exact same time each week to get the roll. Even pushing the timer back minutes, or an hour, can cause me to miss a day, pushing back the roll a day at a time... And, if for example I only can play Sat and Sun, and my roll gets pushed back enough, then it's easily possible to miss the whole week. In fact that's exactly what has happened to me, more than once.

Do you wonder why the "Daily" quest ransack is on an 18 hour timer and not a 24??? Because a 30 minute quest would have to be pushed back 30 minutes each day. Eventually that quest would fall out of your play time. They made it an 18 hour timer so that you can have nice 6 hour window to rerun the quest "the next day". It's just common sense.

Yes, the "Weekly" roll either needs to reset on zero hour every week, OR have a 150 hour timer. It seems to me that this was just an oversight (seeing as they DID already consider this problem with Dailies). It should be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I imagine it is set on a 168 hour timer because of technical limitations.

I cant, though, think of a scenario where you would miss a whole week (or more) unless you dont log in for 168 hours after the last time your timer has reset. I mean, if I check it at 1pm on a sat, it is available again at 1PM next sat. In order to miss a whole week, I have to check it at 1pm one sat, and not again for two weeks. In that scenario, at least, even adopting your method would still make you miss a week, because something was preventing you from logging in.

It only takes like 5 min total to check the roll. I still check my daily silver roll even though I haven't actually played DDO since just before Labor Day (I'm on a DDO break).
    His point is that the silver roll is on a timer less than 24 hours, but sufficiently close to 24 hours as to cause it to be available to you every day at the same time you log in (assuming you log in at the same time every day). However, when you look at the gold roll, it is on a timer that is slightly greater than 168 hours. I know this because it is not available for me to roll at the same time every week. When it first came out, it was a Monday. I typically log on about 16:00 US Central Time M-F. The second week, I had to wait until after 17:00 to make the roll - yet I make my rolls as the first thing I do every day when I log in. At this point, my gold rolls are not available until Thursday or Friday. So, it is not "weekly" in that the timer is long enough that its availability moves relative to the time you made your first gold roll (assuming you make the roll as soon as it is available every week) and yet it is "weekly" in that you'll receive a gold roll roughly every week.

The easiest solution would just be to change the description to having a chance to roll a free gold every week.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    The easiest solution would just be to change the description to having a chance to roll a free gold every week.
    so make the description fit what it is doing rather than just fix the issue? That is what a lazy dev would do. The right thing (morally and ethically) is just to change the timer to reset at 0:00 zulu every Monday. Simple and easier - and actually would take less server resources.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    It's not a matter of "remebering". People have responsibilities. You can't expect people to schedule the exact same time each week to get the roll. Even pushing the timer back minutes, or an hour, can cause me to miss a day, pushing back the roll a day at a time... And, if for example I only can play Sat and Sun, and my roll gets pushed back enough, then it's easily possible to miss the whole week. In fact that's exactly what has happened to me, more than once.

Do you wonder why the "Daily" quest ransack is on an 18 hour timer and not a 24??? Because a 30 minute quest would have to be pushed back 30 minutes each day. Eventually that quest would fall out of your play time. They made it an 18 hour timer so that you can have nice 6 hour window to rerun the quest "the next day". It's just common sense.

Yes, the "Weekly" roll either needs to reset on zero hour every week, OR have a 150 hour timer. It seems to me that this was just an oversight (seeing as they DID already consider this problem with Dailies). It should be fixed.
    Well said. +1

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    so make the description fit what it is doing rather than just fix the issue? That is what a lazy dev would do. The right thing (morally and ethically) is just to change the timer to reset at 0:00 zulu every Monday. Simple and easier - and actually would take less server resources.
    THats why i said the easiest. That way people wouldnt complain about it... Or, well, they would, but people will complain abotu everything. As to moral and ethical, its not immoral or unethical as it is, and i wouldnt start guessing about the server resources.

THats why i said the easiest. That way people wouldnt complain about it... Or, well, they would, but people will complain abotu everything. As to moral and ethical, its not immoral or unethical as it is, and i wouldnt start guessing about the server resources.
    facepalm.

1. the right thing to do is not always the easiest. this is easy - and just as easy as making the change you suggest - and far better for the game as a whole from the public relations point-of-view.

2. it is immoral and unethical to breach contracts and good-faith.

3. I don't guess about server resources, it would.

but I have spoken my peace, and many others agree. QmX kindly correct this. Thank you in advance!

facepalm.

1. the right thing to do is not always the easiest. this is easy - and just as easy as making the change you suggest - and far better for the game as a whole from the public relations point-of-view.

2. it is immoral and unethical to breach contracts and good-faith.

3. I don't guess about server resources, it would.

but I have spoken my peace, and many others agree. QmX kindly correct this. Thank you in advance!
    What contract has been breached? You get a gold roll for free every week, if you take it.

What contract has been breached? You get a gold roll for free every week, if you take it.
    Incorrect. You get a gold roll every week If and Only If you log in at the exact same time every week (theoretically, except that even then the timer is too long by a small margin). In EVERY other situation, your roll will creep forwards, resulting in a lost roll, or multiple lost rolls.

Arguing the point is ridiculous, since Turbine already acknowledges timer creep , and has already implemented the correct timer mechanism in other timer-related circumstances (see: Raid Timer - "3 days" = 2 days 18 hrs, and Quest Ransack - "per day" = 18 hours). All that remains is for them to acknowledge that THIS situation is similar to those, and make the appropriate adjustment.

Stop arguing against this just for the sake of argument...
    Last edited by BOgre; 11-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

I think some folks argue points that don't affect them, just to watch themselves argue.

If you don't have a set day you prefer to roll your weekly, great. Having the timer reset each week at a specific time does absolutely nothing to y'all.
    If you just want to roll your weekly when ever you get around to it, the specific reset time still does nothing to you.

However. Some of us try to log in on a specific day to do our rolls, but sometimes RL gets in the way of our day and we wind up rolling a day late. After this, we aren't allowed to go back to our regular preferred rolling day. Having a specific reset time would let us miss our time and still return the next week for our regular day.

I support having the roll timer reset each week so we have a roll each "calendar" week. (And sure seems like that would be a lot less data for the server to keep track of.)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

while you guys are at it, have the devs fix the timers for hires and xp pots. theres lost time there too when you log in. why stop there. how about ship buffs too. that time all adds up and im getting screwed with my time having to waste those lost seconds rebuffing and in the long run im losing the TP I spend.

A different thought in regard to the shortened timers like on quests and Silver rolls:

Given the better range of items that can be garnered from Gold rolls, I'm pondering the idea that they perhaps chose to NOT shorten the timer on Golds so people didn't schedule their rolls to hit the shortened timer and get 'extra' rolls over time.

This again supports the value of a specific reset time.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    This again supports the value of a specific reset time.
    /supported

I have to ask, what is the purpose of giving anyone free rolls at all? Is it incentive to log into the game? If that is so, then it is in their interest to keep it the way it is.

Let me ask, if you don't log in for 6 months, should you be able to stockpile all of those rolls?

As long as they make the roll available, they can't really be made responsible if you are unable to take advantage of it. Sort of like a sale. It's available at a certain time. If you can't take advantage of it while it's on, well you just miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post

Let me ask, if you don't log in for 6 months, should you be able to stockpile all of those rolls?...
    Where did that one come from?

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Where did that one come from?
    I't just an extrapolation of the argument, which seems to be that just because i am not there to collect it doesn't mean i should lose it.

With the daily silver rolls, if you don't log in for a day, you just lose it. I didn't get the free thing because i wasn't there to take it.

I'm not vip, so i don't really have a dog in this fight, but when i hear people throwing around references to legal and moral consequences of something like this, it makes me laugh.

I have to ask, what is the purpose of giving anyone free rolls at all? Is it incentive to log into the game? If that is so, then it is in their interest to keep it the way it is.

Let me ask, if you don't log in for 6 months, should you be able to stockpile all of those rolls?

As long as they make the roll available, they can't really be made responsible if you are unable to take advantage of it. Sort of like a sale. It's available at a certain time. If you can't take advantage of it while it's on, well you just miss it.
    Thanks for actually reading the thread and understanding what you're talking about before posting. Much appreciated.

I't just an extrapolation of the argument, which seems to be that just because i am not there to collect it doesn't mean i should lose it.

With the daily silver rolls, if you don't log in for a day, you just lose it. I didn't get the free thing because i wasn't there to take it.

I'm not vip, so i don't really have a dog in this fight, but when i hear people throwing around references to legal and moral consequences of something like this, it makes me laugh.
    valid points and I thought it sounded a lot like banking rolls too.

personally, im not going to complain about something that is free, even if it is a sub perk like free weekly gold rolls. Im not seeing the push back like some others are saying. ive had my rolls at about the same time every Saturday night for maybe the past month. if I didn't log on and roll on that Saturday night and instead did it on Sunday morning, I would expect to have another roll the next Sunday at the same time. I guess maybe Turbine needs to take the time to clarify this in their VIP perks section.

...<snip>

Ah, gotya.

As for the "legal and moral" stuff, I agree that's going a little {edit: actually way over} over the top on the whole deal.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 11-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.

actually legally speaking - 'each' week does hold a legal definition of 52 weeks a year.

with that said - its not nitpicking so simply desire what we pay for and therefor are contractually eligible for.

the issue is that it is impossible for Turbine to meet their obligations of 52 weeks a year, not if the VIP's actually do take advantage of the subscription benefits.

I hate having to define legal concepts, and terms, especially in a game I play for fun.

We (I) just want to be capable of receiving the quo for the quid. (love the pun and rhetoric :P )

Currently Turbine fails to allow the VIP's the capability to use this 'each week' paid benefit each week.

Simple fix - have the timer on VIP gold rolls reset @ 0:00 Zulu (or server time) on each Monday.

Yeah. You're right. I want 52 rolls a year, regardless of when I log in. I pay for this service.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast