Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What rednamed boss? if it was, eg. a named fire elly thats double damage right there from cold damage in addition to a nice arcane supremacy crit.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    No, it is not true. 17k is a held mob with sense weakness.
    18k-20 k are extremley common crits on a tier 3 energy burst with just a hold. Not to mention arcane supremacy would take that higher.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 11-20-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Community Member

I have heard that by doing a epic reincarnation, spell crit damages will incorrectly stack and creating a larger crit number.

17k damage from energy burst on a red named boss is not correct for a level 20 wiz with spell power of around 285. The correct figure should be around 5k or 10k with arcane supremacy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    18k-20 k are extremley common crits on a tier 3 energy burst with just a hold. Not to mention arcane supremacy would take that higher.
    Seriously, how are people able to log in to the game when they can be this wrong?

There is the maths on the previous page. I suggest you look at the maths and then think for a bit on how the maths, which is accurate and represents reality, is so different from your anecdote. BTW, what color is the sky in your world?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by arcattaii View Post
    As title said.. is it true?

I heard this from a friend, he ETRed yesterday, and was surprised to find that Energy Burst can do 17k damage (probably spell critical, but still too much) to a red named boss. He is a Lv20 Wizard, and 285 electric spell power, not including Maximize/Empower. And Lightning Bolt can often deal 3k+ damage.

Many guys are guessing the MCL/CL were broken after ETR.. I'm still farming CoV and cannot verify it myself, so I put this in the forum for a discussion and verification.
    I quested with a guy (18 sorc/2 pally/8 epic) who did 24,002 damage on cold energy burst in EE new quest (whatever the name), he had 3x ETR for spell crit chance and the mob was NOT held or stunned, he also doesn't have sense weakness as far as I know, he copied and pasted from the combat log too fast to be altered and is a trustworthy player anyway. So, yes, the MCL and CL appear to be broken.

This is what i love about the forums... Nobody can mention what they believe to be unusually large damage numbers without the dregs from the smoking corner saying "really???...u think THAT'S big??" and comparing their "numbers" on the hood of an '84 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Gempoult View Post
    I quested with a guy (18 sorc/2 pally/8 epic) who did 24,002 damage on cold energy burst in EE new quest (whatever the name), he had 3x ETR for spell crit chance and the mob was NOT held or stunned, he also doesn't have sense weakness as far as I know, he copied and pasted from the combat log too fast to be altered and is a trustworthy player anyway. So, yes, the MCL and CL appear to be broken.
    Thank you for your reply

A friend also copied his sorc to Lamannia and tested this yesterday (Lamannia should be closed, but it opened for 1 day). The non-critical damage seems to be OK, the issue part probably is critical damage.

Through this issue, I also recalled a glancing blow damage bug of Fury of the Wild, the T4 ability Wild Weapons listed 3/6/9% damage, but the actual effect is 30/60/90%.

Obviously Turbine did a nice job again, hehe..

Community Member

Seriously, how are people able to log in to the game when they can be this wrong?

There is the maths on the previous page. I suggest you look at the maths and then think for a bit on how the maths, which is accurate and represents reality, is so different from your anecdote. BTW, what color is the sky in your world?

I guess I should of specified the damage I posted was based on a level 28 sorc with a mass hold and no sense weakness. With arcane supremacy at the same level a wizard would have a higher number than these. But a level 20 wizard with arcane supremacy should be able to achieve 17 k on a held mob.

Also I'm pretty sure that math is wrong as energy burst is based on character levels and not caster levels.

I guess I should of specified the damage I posted was based on a level 28 sorc with a mass hold and no sense weakness. With arcane supremacy at the same level a wizard would have a higher number than these. But a level 20 wizard with arcane supremacy should be able to achieve 17 k on a held mob.

Also I'm pretty sure that math is wrong as energy burst is based on character levels and not caster levels.
    AFAIK the Energy Burst use the higher one of CharacterLevel and CasterLevel. Turbine disobeyed the description again.

Even if you are true, how can a level 20 Wizard (no epic levels yet) deal 17k damage to a non-helplessable rednamed boss?

Energy Burst deals 1d15+15 damage per character level damage, and cannot be amplified by Max/Emp feats.
    So the damage should be:
    base dmg = 20×(1d15+15) = 20×23 = 460
    285SP non-crit dmg = 460×3.85 = 1771

double crit dmg = 1771×2 = 3542
    triple crit dmg = 1771×3 = 5313

double crit helpless dmg = 1771×2×1.5 = 5313
    triple crit helpless dmg = 1771×3×1.5 = 7969.5

sense weakness double crit helpless dmg = 1771×2×1.8 = 6375.6
    sense weakness triple crit helpless dmg = 1771×3×1.8 = 9563.4

If you think 17k is a reasonable and common spell critical damage for this setting, please give your SS...

Here is another friend's test result, lv25 sorcerer after ER:
    Shocking Grasp:

Energy Burst:

I don't know his gear/enhancement settings, but even you take anything (sense weakness, helpless, elemental weakness, vulnerable) into account, the damage is still far from common imo...

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Well I heard a monk punched Velah on EE so hard that she died instantly.

True story.
    I have seen four bosses one-shot due to bugs.

Arraetrikos (during the Destruction bug days)
    The Abbot (during the 'supercharge my monk punch' exploit, completion time was hours)
    EE Cojoined Abashai Devastator (on Lamannia prior to MotU launch, this one was hilarious, it happened to Velah too)

And my favorite, the Stormreaver in Reaver's Fate, also Destruction bugged. That made for a memorable raid for all involved.

I believe there was also a time when Sor'jek in Tempest's Spine could die to Slay Living.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Well I heard a monk punched Velah on EE so hard that she died instantly.

True story.
    Liked that did you? It wasn't that I punched her, it was that I removed my pants and she fainted. we stole her loot and gtfo.
    Veriden, Orien server: 27th life currently
    13druid/4fighter/2monk Completionist!

Community Member

Spell power and ed showing no sense weakness. Not to mention I am missing quite a bit of spell power to my electric.

Not helpless numbers

helpless energy burst

helpless dragon's breathe (same damage as energy burst)

But I guess I was just making up numbers just to screw with people.

Community Member

AFAIK the Energy Burst use the higher one of CharacterLevel and CasterLevel. Turbine disobeyed the description again.

Even if you are true, how can a level 20 Wizard (no epic levels yet) deal 17k damage to a non-helplessable rednamed boss?

Energy Burst deals 1d15+15 damage per character level damage, and cannot be amplified by Max/Emp feats.
    So the damage should be:
    base dmg = 20×(1d15+15) = 20×23 = 460
    285SP non-crit dmg = 460×3.85 = 1771

double crit dmg = 1771×2 = 3542
    triple crit dmg = 1771×3 = 5313

double crit helpless dmg = 1771×2×1.5 = 5313
    triple crit helpless dmg = 1771×3×1.5 = 7969.5

sense weakness double crit helpless dmg = 1771×2×1.8 = 6375.6
    sense weakness triple crit helpless dmg = 1771×3×1.8 = 9563.4

If you think 17k is a reasonable and common spell critical damage for this setting, please give your SS...

Here is another friend's test result, lv25 sorcerer after ER:
    Shocking Grasp:

Energy Burst:

I don't know his gear/enhancement settings, but even you take anything (sense weakness, helpless, elemental weakness, vulnerable) into account, the damage is still far from common imo...
    You may be right about the caster/character level thing just in the description says character levels. (never trust them I guess) Something seems to be off with the damage going to energy burst though as looking at my spell power of 379 and caster level of 35. The numbers just aren't adding up, mind you it is very late here, but still doesn't seem to check out. The screenshots I provided above were not in response to you however the number still don't make sense and I haven't performed a tr/lr/etr since the update. So, perhaps something else is adding to energy burst as well.(again it is very late here, will look at the numbers in the morning)

The 17 k crit was an assumption for a level 20 wizard however If something else is adding to the energy burst than it may be possible with a vulnerable mob.

Edit :

30(max damage) × 28 (20 levels +3 cl and mcl draconic enhancment+5 draconic destiny)= 840
    285SP non-crit dmg = 840×3.85 = 3234

6468 x2 vulnerable mob

19404 x3 (arcane supremacy + x2 for crit)

It's 4 am at this point so I might just be making up numbers. :P
    Last edited by moo_cow; 11-21-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Community Member

Never trust numbers shown on screen for when they have a skull beside them, aka death blow. they are almost always way off the actual damage done.
    Easily testable, when u do a few hundred acid damage with a weapon that has at max a acid burst on it, and the 3d10 from it, could never up to the few hundred damage.
    Its been a while since i played anything with spelldamage, but afair, its the same for spells.

You may be right about the caster/character level thing just in the description says character levels. (never trust them I guess) Something seems to be off with the damage going to energy burst though as looking at my spell power of 379 and caster level of 35. The numbers just aren't adding up, mind you it is very late here, but still doesn't seem to check out. The screenshots I provided above were not in response to you however the number still don't make sense and I haven't performed a tr/lr/etr since the update. So, perhaps something else is adding to energy burst as well.(again it is very late here, will look at the numbers in the morning)

The 17 k crit was an assumption for a level 20 wizard however If something else is adding to the energy burst than it may be possible with a vulnerable mob.

Edit :

30(max damage) × 28 (20 levels +3 cl and mcl draconic enhancment+5 draconic destiny)= 840
    285SP non-crit dmg = 840×3.85 = 3234

6468 x2 vulnerable mob

19404 x3 (arcane supremacy + x2 for crit)

It's 4 am at this point so I might just be making up numbers. :P
    Dam Doc that are some sick numbers guess I am questing in Draconic until they fix this
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Default Yap, Something is Over powered.

I saw the Named Boss Warforged, not the Ghost, in EE POP go down from about 90 percent to 0 hitpoints yesterday from a Caster in split second!

The OP is onto to something.

Community Member

Spell power and ed showing no sense weakness. Not to mention I am missing quite a bit of spell power to my electric.

[IMG]But I guess I was just making up numbers just to screw with people.
    You have screenshots of this in an Epic quest?

The largest number I can ever remember seeing in recently memory in an Epic quest on my sorc 28 from eBurst is 14-16k, and I guarrantee you it was purple (no sense weakness either). Even against held Epic mobs I don't hit those numbers and I'm running 400SP+, though I'll hit 6-8k on the held mobs. I've not tr/lr/etr at all on the toon.

Default Did some test on Lamannia

Transferred my Sorcerer to Lamannia and did some test, screenshots/assumption updated in OP.

Well, seems like the epl feats are not that bad after all.

2014 DDO Players Council

When Energy Criticals toggle on, it gives you 300/600/900% Spell Critical Damage instead of 3/6/9% Spell Critical Chance
    I guess they listened when I said the Epic Past Life feats weren't worth it. I'd ER for that!

Of course, now they you've done the testing for them, they'll nerf it and make ER pointless again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast