Community Member AestorTheKnight's Avatar

Default Cosmetic Armor & Armor Kits. Turbine - Is Less the new More?

So originally Turbine introduced Armor Kits - one use Cosmetic effects that were applied directly to one suit of armour. Fine.

The good thing was the Turbine Art Department worked hard to bring out lots of new Armor Kits of different styles and colours. Great!

And I bought a few of them cos they were cool. And came in the colours that I like.

But a few months back Turbine decided they didn't like the Armor Kit mechanic and that they were going to replace it with Cosmetic Armors.

Cosmetic Armors are slotted in the Cosmetic Slot on the Inventory page and have multiple uses. Great!

However, with the introduction of the Cosmetic Armors, Turbine decided to remove all the old Armor Kits from the DDO Store.

Now this would be fine, if they had converted ALL the Armor Kit styles and colours into Cosmetic Armors. But they have not.

At present their are about half as many Cosmetic Armor styles as there was Armor Kits, and they all come in only one colour. Black.

And the old Armor Kits that came in the style and colours i liked are no longer available for purchase from the DDO store.

Which means, that even though I want to spend my money on Cosmetic gear, I am not going to. Cos the the appearances and colours I want are not available.

Really, Turbine how difficult can it be to simply convert ALL the Armor Kit Styles and colours into Cosmetic Armours? And why remove the Armor Kits
    before you have finished converting them all into Cosmetic Armors?

Any ways the bottom line is, Turbine, your losing my money. Cos the Cosmetic Gear in the styles and colours I want are no longer available.

There are currently numerous styles and colours missing from the Cosmetic Armor selection that I would like to see become available again.

Violet Beast Armors.
    Blue Beast Armors.
    Blue Spider Armors.
    Yellow and Green and Blue Whorl Armors.

etc etc and for all Armor types.

Please Turbine, we want more choice in Cosmetic Armors, not less. Thanks!
    So in everything, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cannith: Arqa - Celduin - Gnossos - and others.

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

I understand it is frustrating that not all of the armor kits have been converted to cosmetic armors yet. We retired the armor kits to avoid confusion with the new system. We are going to re-introduce the missing cosmetic armors in an upcoming update with the addition of some new styles.

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    I understand it is frustrating that not all of the armor kits have been converted to cosmetic armors yet. We retired the armor kits to avoid confusion with the new system. We are going to re-introduce the missing cosmetic armors in an upcoming update with the addition of some new styles.
    Appearance kits and visual flair is such a no brainer people will spend so many points on that I am surprised this isn't the top priority for he game (I'd prefer it not be, but this is free money for you guys)

Hair styles, scars, piercings, clothing, accessories, people love to throw money at this stuff and it doesn't hurt the game in a "P2W" way. A lot of the art is already out there

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Yeah dude chill out its not like they can just snap their fingers and poof they old armors are the new ones it takes time and I'm with QMX here, if they had of left the old style armors until they got converted people would start whining about how they were ripped off,etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member AestorTheKnight's Avatar

Thank you for your reply QuartermasterX, I really appreciate it! And that's really good news that the missing Armor Kit appearances will one day be converted to Cosmetic Armor. I eagerly await their arrival in the DDO store and look forward to seeing the new designs. Cheers!
    So in everything, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cannith: Arqa - Celduin - Gnossos - and others.

Lost in my imagination.... or sometimes just living in Canada..

Smile

ILU!!! Seriously, I've been so missing the retired armor kits. I love the cosmetic armor, it's exactly what I had always wanted, but you guys retired my favourite suits! D: I'm very happy to hear they'll be coming back. <3

What I would suggest, if it could be possible, having the armor kits and cosmetic armors both up as options would be wonderful, especially because they're not all converted yet. It would make the players who love their cosmetics very happy. ^_^

And new armor? I'm even more excited now.

I really hope that someday the amazing hairstyles for the FR drow are released for cosmetic hair. My long haired OCs re-made on DDO would love you guys forever for that. <3
    (Formally known as Luadrilae)

Phaeshalee likes you. Yes... you.
    My deviantART gallery

Excellent and thank you! I very much look forward to the new cosmetic items. Removing the old appearance kits was the right thing to do. The newer cosmetic pieces offer far superior flexibility and value.

Please keep in mind that as you go down the road of offering more cosmetic options, it will ultimately place stress on an already stressed storage situation. Given the current prices and very limited selection, I see no issue. If, in the future, prices drop and selection increases, we will need a way to store cosmetics.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

I do not understand why you don't make this a priority. It is an easy way to make money.

And let's be super clear on your current offerings - they are not very interesting and there is not enough of them.

Now if you are using the lack of sell through of your current rather poor offerings as an excuse to not offer a lot more cosmetic body slot offerings may i suggest to you that that is not good business logic?

I don't like strawberry icecream. You can offer all the strawberry icecream that you like and I won't eat it. Offer me chocolate and I'll ask for second helpings.
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~