Default TWF and cleave mechanic

If I make a cleave attack with my TWF, the 1[W] extra damage would apply to the main attack and the off hand attack as well (if it triggers)? Same for greater cleave?

Thanks for the help,
    Nahiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahiz View Post
    If I make a cleave attack with my TWF, the 1[W] extra damage would apply to the main attack and the off hand attack as well (if it triggers)? Same for greater cleave?

Thanks for the help,
    Nahiz.
    I don't know if it's meant to, but it certainly seems to on my monk*. Plus doublestrike also seems to proc with it quite happily. Most often it's just one hit (main hand), but I have certainly hit cleave and seen 4 hits result a couple of times so i'm guessing that's 1 hit + doublestrike proc + offhand proc + offhand doublestrike proc, or 1 hit + off hand proc + main hand doublestrike proc + off hand proc or something. I don't know if off hand can proc from a main hand doublestrike its all too complicated and makes me cross eyed. But I know I've seen 4 hits on one target from one cleave/great cleave, and I've seen it more than once. And the damage is definitely +1W on what I would expect.

So something is happening.

*it would never have occurred to me to take Cleave on a monk. I was talked into it on the basis that I could then get overwhelming critical. I was very skeptical, but on balance it does seems to be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Community Member

Cleave and Great Cleave are not friends with TWF. Only the main hand weapon does damage with the cleave. If you are doing unarmed combat, Cleave doesn't apply offhand strike chance, but Great Cleave might, depending on your race (and if human, gender).

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    I don't know if it's meant to, but it certainly seems to on my monk*.
    Probably doublestrike, honestly.

Every mob hit with a cleave has its own attack roll.

If I understood correctly, the 1[W] doesn´t proc on the off hand attack, ¿right? If that is the case, do you think taking Cleave and Greater Cleave are worth it just for getting Overwhelming Critical?

Thanks

Community Member

If I understood correctly, the 1[W] doesn´t proc on the off hand attack, ¿right? If that is the case, do you think taking Cleave and Greater Cleave are worth it just for getting Overwhelming Critical?
    There are times (on-hit effects, especially) where hitting multiple enemies per swing with just your mainhand weapon is quite useful.

(Especially with the +[W] thing too... and mainhander gets more from the stat bonus than offhander anyway, and... recommend you get a seeker offhander if you'll be doing a lot of that.)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Thanks
    Any time you are fighting more than 1 mob at a time, cleave is a dps increase, even on a twf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Any time you are fighting more than 1 mob at a time, cleave is a dps increase, even on a twf.
    This. And as a TWF you might or not have the resources to matched pairs of DR defeating weapons which can make tossing in grcleaving a DPS increase even against a solo with a high DR. I tend to prefer something with a defensive edge on the offhand if I can't pair a weapon set for DPS and then adopt the moto "cleave early and often" when I need to use the set.

Community Member

Extensive testing with my TWF khopesh ranger with both C and GC on the dummy have convinced me that, at least in that TWF scenario, cleaves don't proc offhand hits. I only ever got one line of flyover damage per Cleave, even with 100% offhand chance, and auto-attacks that would trigger two lines of flyover damage.

Incidentally, OTHER special attacks DO proc offhand strikes, which benefit from the special attack effect. I think anything that doesn't interrupt the attack sequence counts as a "regular" attack and can trigger a second offhand strike...Cleave, obviously, does interrupt the sequence.