Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post
    how long will this "wait and see" period going to take, before they are willing to accept that their original idea of "you should have 4200 coms by the time you hit 28, if you run content on EH" isn't reflected in the field?

I mean, I could understand if fine tuning it would take time, but we're talking about a difference of roughly 2000 coms.... surely that does not fall under the category of "fine tuning the values"
    Wait and see is their way of saying they probably won't get around to it anytime soon. If people get fed up and just end up buying them in the store, Turbine doesn't care that it's extreme frustrating and grueling, as long as it brings in money. Little do they realize people spend more money when it feels more like an reasonably achievable option instead of a brick wall.

Cue the Turbine champions saying they will adjust it when their "in-game data" is in. They haven't done an meaningful adjustment in the past with anything they said they would and proved with the saga fiasco originally that they don't even consult their own data before making decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Wait and see is their way of saying they probably won't get around to it anytime soon. If people get fed up and just end up buying them in the store, Turbine doesn't care that it's extreme frustrating and grueling, as long as it brings in money. Little do they realize people spend more money when it feels more like an reasonably achievable option instead of a brick wall.

Cue the Turbine champions saying they will adjust it when their "in-game data" is in. They haven't done an meaningful adjustment in the past with anything they said they would and proved with the saga fiasco originally that they don't even consult their own data before making decisions.
    Anyone else thinking Challenge XP?

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I stand corrected. They will adjust them, to make it 6200 Vcoms after reviewing "feedback form the forums". That's about all we'll see.
    Last edited by Drwaz99; 11-27-2013 at 03:55 PM.

•First, let me qualify the following by saying up front DDO is my first & only MMO...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Part of the issue here is DDO is trying to pull people in from other MMOs.
    While ^that^ is of course the good business thing to do, here's the part I'm having trouble wrapping my head around:

I read constantly that DDO is being "WoWified" and altered more & more to resemble "the other" MMOs out there. Why? How is this supposed to pull those "other MMO's" players away? I figure there's two scenarios happening with that approach:

•DDO: "Hey, you like that game? Come play ours, it works just like theirs!" Player: "No thank you. I do like the way this game works, that's why I play it! I don't really feel like starting over from scratch..."

•DDO: "Hey, you don't like that game? Come play ours, it works just like theirs!" Player: "No thank you. You're right I don't like that game; that's why I don't play it! If yours works just like it, I probably won't like yours either..."

Wouldn't the better way to get both of those groups attention be the following:

DDO: "Hey, come check us out! We're something different from the rest!" Player: "Different from the rest? Sounds interesting, let's see what this is about..."

Now clearly the office people see it differently than I do, so what am I missing that makes emulation the better new player magnet?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post

Now clearly the office people see it differently than I do, so what am I missing that makes emulation the better new player magnet?
    Clearly someone in the decision making process thinks mmos are like stand-alone games or movies. If we make it like 90% of the population likes, they will also buy our game or movie. Sadly, they don't seem to realize most people play 1 mmo at most, 2 rarely, no more. If people like WoW for what it is like, they won't leave it for DDO. They might leave it for something new and completely different because well... they're tired of the same-old same-old and might want better graphics, different focus, etc.

I don't know anyone who plays more than 2 mmos and usually the second one is like once a week for a couple of hours to hang out with friends. Not exactly the type of thing you'd spend serious moneyz on, you know?
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Wait and see historically turns into too little too late (Eveningstar Challenges) or sweeping an old system under the rug (Cannith Crafting). If they don't make any changes by the time the next major update comes, we aren't likely to see any meaningful change ever.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    •First, let me qualify the following by saying up front DDO is my first & only MMO...

While ^that^ is of course the good business thing to do, here's the part I'm having trouble wrapping my head around:

I read constantly that DDO is being "WoWified" and altered more & more to resemble "the other" MMOs out there. Why? How is this supposed to pull those "other MMO's" players away? I figure there's two scenarios happening with that approach:

•DDO: "Hey, you like that game? Come play ours, it works just like theirs!" Player: "No thank you. I do like the way this game works, that's why I play it! I don't really feel like starting over from scratch..."

•DDO: "Hey, you don't like that game? Come play ours, it works just like theirs!" Player: "No thank you. You're right I don't like that game; that's why I don't play it! If yours works just like it, I probably won't like yours either..."

Wouldn't the better way to get both of those groups attention be the following:

DDO: "Hey, come check us out! We're something different from the rest!" Player: "Different from the rest? Sounds interesting, let's see what this is about..."

I said it before and I'll say it again...Turbine either has a very weak marketing department or none at all.

The 2 unique things DDO has going for them that they can exploit and use to attract new players...

1.) TR system...Old Heroic System was awesome because anytime you felt accomplished at end game with a toon, you could just TR whenever you wanted...easy and painlessly and then recycle content. New Epic System has too many dynamics to worry about, especially for a new player that doesn't want to drop a ton of money in the store. They need to simplify this process if they want to attract new players or even get many veteran players to buy into this new system.

2.) Character Customization...Always been a big thing in this MMO, but the EP had the opportunity to really capitalize on this and came much shorter than it could. Instead of designing a system to really give the player "real freedom" in character customization, it went from one extreme to the other. The new system could have rewarded pure classes for staying pure or gave the player the option to multiclass if they wanted more flexibility. Instead the capstones stayed the same or got worse, and it now forces players to build more complex multi-class builds which is totally noob unfriendly. An increase in capstones really should have been considered as a reward for staying pure which is what most new players are likely to start wit their first build. So instead of designing a system that is more noob friendly (the UI is nice though), they made building a character more complex.

Are comms going to be adjusted per quest (like the way exp has been readjusted for quests) or for the total number you need to get epic/iconic hearts? Haven't heard anything in a while
    Main characters: Usually on Rhyes, Miniryse or Legolass
    I'm rich! filthy rich! /runs off to AH
    /cry! I'm poor! flat broke! /runs off to sell things on forum

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718