Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: My Sob Story

  1. #1
    Community Member zappazpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default My Sob Story

    I don't think that I should play this game anymore. I believe i'm to caught up in the way i used to enjoy this game. Everything now seem to just go though the motions, and im here hoping for a change or at least a glimmer of hope.

    I miss being awed my the world of Eberron from the airships to the dragons and jungles. I was so happy that i gave this game a chance, first i was concerned that this was going to be the typical high fantasy adventure theme but i was proven wrong. So thank you turbine for constantly getting in my face every time i tried to watch dbz.

    But to the point, i miss not caring. Logging in everyday just to go do whatever quest was up (which at the time was allot) I miss waiting 15-30 minutes for a trapper or healer only to give up grab a hire, wipeout then have someone reenter. I guess no one really cared as much back then about some xp penalty or bravery streak. No i'm not speaking for all of you some of you did and probably still do. I from my experience everyday reading the forums, some of you guys might be angry at this and whatnot idc

    I have over 30 toons spread across all servers, my main being Argo where to me it seems somewhat how it used to be. My main concern is how fast this game has become. Everything has to be fast fast fast and as easy as possible. I remember when i first stared playing and was doing MP for the first time and had some guy zerg most of the quest. Luckily the leader who knew i was new decided to recall and reform just so he/she could show me how it was done. Nowadays when i pug, which is nearly exclusive i find that 8/10 times nobody is wiling to teach. They seem to think that everyone knows the quest even when someone said they didn't. I mean ffs last week was my first time doing Wiz King because it was always the same thing ELITE BYOH KNOW QUEST SOLO TOWER. If it wasn't for the party preferring to stay together mostly i still wouldn't know it.

    The thing is if you can solo a quest why join. If you dont want to teach why do low lvl quest where you know its a chance of running into a newb. I'm getting to the point where i don't even have any emotion for it anymore. Most people would say just leave, but i cant. For some reason thats beyond me i keep holding on. I want to quit but i still log in everyday on every server and do 10+ quest all pugs and still find that everything is the same way it was yesterday. But no tomorrow is a new day, but it never is.

    I'm sorry for this post I think im ranting, crying, thinking all at once (not to mention sleepy as all hell) If you get it you do, if you dont..........eh
    "I'll get the one in the back. That's one hobgoblin who'll regret ever lifting a bow."

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    My diagnosis is, you are done with the game. It's time to cancel your VIP status (if you are one), uninstall the game and find something else to do with your time. It happens, you've wrung every ounce of enjoyment possible out of the game. It's time to move on.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I think someone needs a hug. I'd offer to hug you myself, but you know... distance. So find someone nice, and get 'em to hug you. If it turns out you didn't need a hug, well then...bonus hug! Can't be a bad thing, right?

    It's the same with most pursuits, you can become jaded, especially when you're tired. You've got to accentuate the positive. There are plenty of people out there just like you who enjoy taking it slow and even more who enjoy having a good time and won't mind taking it slow even if they usually go faster. Also, play more on Argo... I have it on good authority that we're lovely!

  4. #4
    Community Member ThreeEyedBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Well, I think most of us who have played DDO for some time become a bit jaded. We deal with it in our own ways. Some cope and plod on. Others quit. Its just how it is.

    I have tried sometimes to "teach" as you say in what to do or not to do. The problem with this is that too many times people jump in my face and get aggressive because "they know how to play!". So after a while, I quit trying to do that.

    There is a group of players who think they know everything, play like they know everything, but really dont and end up dying. And then often ragequit with some cursing that its someone elses fault.

    How many times have you grouped with people playing healing-capable classes who does not even try to heal the party members? As a result most oldtimers tend to make builds that are very self sufficient. Its just a reaction to cope with low/no healing situations. Offcourse this has evolved into the BYOH mentality. But usally you will see quest-leaders post BYOH so you can skip those if you dont like it.

    I definitely prefer grouping. Soloing is often boring. That said I do die in quests. Im just human after all and nobody is perfect. So even on my TRs I will die now and then because of doing something stupid, forgetting a trap, not watching my hp as closely as I should etc. But some people demand perfection. I really had a moment of hysterical laughter a couple months ago when I joined a group where the leader explicitly stated that if anyone died he would recall and run the quest solo instead because he didnt accept loosing the 10% xp bonus. After about 5 minutes into the quest he dies himself. Nobody else could be blamed. He started complaining. I informed him about the new quest ransack system that he obviously didnt know about. A few minutes later after some cursing and howling he ragequit. We ended up completing the quest on our own.

    Anyway, join a guild with active members you can quest with. Thats usually a good remedy for boredom.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

  5. #5
    Community Member Shorlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zappazpot View Post
    I don't think that I should play this game anymore. I believe i'm to caught up in the way i used to enjoy this game. Everything now seem to just go though the motions, and im here hoping for a change or at least a glimmer of hope.

    I miss being awed my the world of Eberron from the airships to the dragons and jungles. I was so happy that i gave this game a chance, first i was concerned that this was going to be the typical high fantasy adventure theme but i was proven wrong. So thank you turbine for constantly getting in my face every time i tried to watch dbz.

    But to the point, i miss not caring. Logging in everyday just to go do whatever quest was up (which at the time was allot) I miss waiting 15-30 minutes for a trapper or healer only to give up grab a hire, wipeout then have someone reenter. I guess no one really cared as much back then about some xp penalty or bravery streak. No i'm not speaking for all of you some of you did and probably still do. I from my experience everyday reading the forums, some of you guys might be angry at this and whatnot idc

    I have over 30 toons spread across all servers, my main being Argo where to me it seems somewhat how it used to be. My main concern is how fast this game has become. Everything has to be fast fast fast and as easy as possible. I remember when i first stared playing and was doing MP for the first time and had some guy zerg most of the quest. Luckily the leader who knew i was new decided to recall and reform just so he/she could show me how it was done. Nowadays when i pug, which is nearly exclusive i find that 8/10 times nobody is wiling to teach. They seem to think that everyone knows the quest even when someone said they didn't. I mean ffs last week was my first time doing Wiz King because it was always the same thing ELITE BYOH KNOW QUEST SOLO TOWER. If it wasn't for the party preferring to stay together mostly i still wouldn't know it.

    The thing is if you can solo a quest why join. If you dont want to teach why do low lvl quest where you know its a chance of running into a newb. I'm getting to the point where i don't even have any emotion for it anymore. Most people would say just leave, but i cant. For some reason thats beyond me i keep holding on. I want to quit but i still log in everyday on every server and do 10+ quest all pugs and still find that everything is the same way it was yesterday. But no tomorrow is a new day, but it never is.

    I'm sorry for this post I think im ranting, crying, thinking all at once (not to mention sleepy as all hell) If you get it you do, if you dont..........eh
    I know the feeling. It's why I don't really pug anything. I started a guild, and my wife and I were lucky to get some like minded people. We always take forever in quests, ones that some people take several minutes, we are taking an hour or more. It's how we enjoy playing.

    My advice? Don't PUG, find a guild of people who have similar play styles to you, and just enjoy the game!
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

    Leader of The Dark Creed

  6. #6
    Community Member kned225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Ddo is no different than anything else in life.....if you do it regularly for a number of years, you're gonna have to find new ways to enjoy it

    Its just human nature. Its why we have chocolate beer and My Little Pony conventions

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    I know the feeling. It's why I don't really pug anything. I started a guild, and my wife and I were lucky to get some like minded people. We always take forever in quests, ones that some people take several minutes, we are taking an hour or more. It's how we enjoy playing.

    My advice? Don't PUG, find a guild of people who have similar play styles to you, and just enjoy the game!
    this thread really needs to be read by a dev/web developer. finding guilds of like minded people is nearly impossible. we have zero idea what a guild is like since they have zero ability to advertise themselves. as the pugging scene has dried up pretty much, and until turbine figures out that it's bb that's the main cause, and that it's not working as intended, we're stuck finding a guild with people who play similarly entirely by trial and error. player patience for this is very, very low. how many guilds do you want to join, run with, discover they're not like you, and quit? until we have some way, preferably in-game, to describe our guilds and play-styles, and if we're actively looking for guildies, and how to apply, and maybe even when we typically play, folks who are new to the game will continue to get the impression this game is only for the elitist zergers.

    this is what community-building is all about. nwn (no, not the lame mmo, the old computer game) had a dedicated community development group, which shut down years ago, and the community is STILL going strong. we have a broken, totally nonfunctional website to NOT post anything but rants. woo. some community there. put "couldn't find like-minded players" on your exit survey and see what happens turbine.

    sorry about the hijack, op. but the previous posters are right. finding like-minded players is the solution to your problem. we do exist (i've been known to zerg stuff for favor runs or to grind a piece of eq, but usually i'm a flower-sniffing explorer). without some convenient way to find us, though, you'll have to wait to get lucky and find some of us in pugs (really hard since pugging has become zerg-festing mostly). if you decide to quit, which i'd understand, although i'd rather you didn't, please comment on the exit survey it was because you couldn't find players who play like you do. supposedly turbine actually reads those surveys (although when i cancelled vip i didn't get one).

    good luck, and whatever you decide to do, keep flower-sniffing!

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Cool flower-sniffing-power =)


  9. #9
    Community Member Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    6,937

    Default

    Can I have your stuff?

    Honestly, the game is always moving. As long as it does that, I keep playing. I do wish there was more incentives/desirables to draw people into the old quests as a group.

  10. #10
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zappazpot View Post
    Most people would say just leave, but i cant. For some reason thats beyond me i keep holding on. I want to quit but i still log in everyday on every server and do 10+ quest all pugs and still find that everything is the same way it was yesterday. But no tomorrow is a new day, but it never is.
    It is called addiction, and it really sounds like you are burned out. Take a break. If you decide you really want to come back, then do so. But playing just because of addiction and not feeling any sorts of real joy isn't healthy of any game.

    Also, there are probably more teachers out there than what is realized. But the new player has to speak up. This in turn invites trolls to mock them so they don't want to speak up. It is a vicious cycle. I've been in this game so long I don't even think to ask on quests I have run to ghostbane, so someone speaking up gives me the reminder I need.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by levesque2004 View Post
    this thread really needs to be read by a dev/web developer. finding guilds of like minded people is nearly impossible. we have zero idea what a guild is like since they have zero ability to advertise themselves. as the pugging scene has dried up pretty much, and until turbine figures out that it's bb that's the main cause, and that it's not working as intended, we're stuck finding a guild with people who play similarly entirely by trial and error. player patience for this is very, very low. how many guilds do you want to join, run with, discover they're not like you, and quit? until we have some way, preferably in-game, to describe our guilds and play-styles, and if we're actively looking for guildies, and how to apply, and maybe even when we typically play, folks who are new to the game will continue to get the impression this game is only for the elitist zergers.

    this is what community-building is all about. nwn (no, not the lame mmo, the old computer game) had a dedicated community development group, which shut down years ago, and the community is STILL going strong. we have a broken, totally nonfunctional website to NOT post anything but rants. woo. some community there. put "couldn't find like-minded players" on your exit survey and see what happens turbine.

    sorry about the hijack, op. but the previous posters are right. finding like-minded players is the solution to your problem. we do exist (i've been known to zerg stuff for favor runs or to grind a piece of eq, but usually i'm a flower-sniffing explorer). without some convenient way to find us, though, you'll have to wait to get lucky and find some of us in pugs (really hard since pugging has become zerg-festing mostly). if you decide to quit, which i'd understand, although i'd rather you didn't, please comment on the exit survey it was because you couldn't find players who play like you do. supposedly turbine actually reads those surveys (although when i cancelled vip i didn't get one).

    good luck, and whatever you decide to do, keep flower-sniffing!
    There are sections on the forums dedicated to guilds. Guilds post who they are looking for, as well as posts from those looking for guilds.

  12. #12
    Hero
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dothan, Alabama
    Posts
    110

    Default

    When I PUG I zerg or go slow depending on the group. I am old school and if it's your group that I join then I generally run the quest however the guy who posted the LFG is running it. If I wanted to do it my way I would have posted my LFG and not joined yours. It's really a respect issue to me. When I join your group I run it how you want within reason.

    That said most the groups I join where there is drama it is usually from the passive aggressive don't zerg crowd. I get that some people have a we don't run through dungeons mentality. So anyways I joined a diplo group on Argo once and the guy said wait at the start. I happily waited but then 3 people from the same guild in the party did the predictable and took off running down the gravel path and spawning stuff like mad and creating a instant red alert. The leader then proceeded to cuss them out and they dropped and then he said using a few choice words that anyone else have a problem you can leave to. At this point I dropped just because his attitude sucked. To me he was right for being mad that they did not wait when he asked them to (his LFM) but he was wrong when he cussed them out. I then ran diplo with the slow crowd who he cussed out and we moved on to the minotaur quest. On zoning in I said let's go clear the outside shrine in case we need it and proceeded to go towards it. If your going to non-zerg framed why not check for the rare and clear the shrine. Going slow and taking an hour to kill everything will require casters to use it at some point. When your out of sp it's silly to try and fight everything at a shrine. Well at this point this group proceeded to start yelling zerger! They then said "we won't heal you if you go and clear that shrine!" At that point I dropped and said "Good luck have fun." I would of happily discussed whether we needed to clear the shrine or not and even of skipped it if they had been civil. But I just don't group with the whole "no heals if you make me mad" crowd. It's as silly as a tank saying I won't cleave if you don't do this!" Well after I dropped they then proceeded to send me crappy tells about how they no longer had a melee character in the party because I dropped and how low class that was and how they had to all leave and repost and I was a bad person. Now the funny thing is in 7 years of DDO I maybe quit a group in progress once a year. Incidentally this incident was a year or two ago and to this day I will never group with that guild or anyone in it because of there passive aggressive drama. This is the one and only guild that I refuse to group with. Prior to this incident I had ran with them lots and even showed there guild how to do MOTU quests they had never run. But the whole PM'ing and drama after I supported them when they dropped a group left a bad taste in my mouth.

    See the way I look at it demanding non-zerging is equal to demanding zerging. Zergers usually get this and are more than happy to leave non-zergers behind and not group with them. Non-zergers in my experience usually join groups then demand that people don't zerg and start all kind of drama over zerging. I really don't care which group I am in as long as it's drama free. Non-zergers however usually bring the drama.
    Last edited by Scuddy; 11-18-2013 at 02:14 PM.

  13. #13
    Community Member Chaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zappazpot View Post
    I have over 30 toons spread across all servers, my main being Argo where to me it seems somewhat how it used to be.
    A few years ago a player on Argo used to write "No Shatfoop" in his lfm's. I don't know what he meant by the word, but to me it always evoked images of schoolkids running wildly through the halls, gleefully screaming, flinging shreds of textbooks into the air...

    At that time in the game team coordination and careful, conservative play were essential to completing most quests on elite at level. A good player was one who filled an essential role and played well in the team, not one who had acquired an invincible character and figured he could shatfoop through the quest like an over-caffeinated schoolkid. At some point I guess the right people complained long enough and often enough about the existence of "essential roles" that the trend has been towards homogenizing all classes and reducing the original complexity of the game to a single equation.

    Oddly, the "dungeon alert" mechanism was introduced during an earlier regime to counter a trend towards solo play that the game was then experiencing.

    But the soloists with the uber toons are (now as then) most vocal about how bored they are, how little challenge the game presents, and how awfully incompetent everyone else that plays the game is.

    The word "powergamer" doesn't mean someone who is good at a game, or who obsessively plays a video game, or collects lots powerful in-game items, or has acquired an invincible in game avatar; It means someone who compensates for the real powerlessness they experience in everyday life by pursuing virtual power in a video game.

    Don't let those people get to you, Zappaz, even though they clearly exercise an influence on the social and the practical side of the game that is massively disproportionate too their numbers, if what they write in the forums or their lfm's is any indication, they're making themselves miserable enough for all of us.

    *a note: by shatfoop I don't mean zerg, I mean play mindlessly. And no, I'm not the guy who used the word in his lfms. He probably meant "playing with pants on".
    Last edited by Chaios; 11-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Chaeos of Argonessen, Human Rogue/Fighter
    Please re-break AC differently.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaios View Post
    A few years ago a player on Argo used to write "No Shatfoop" in his lfm's. I don't know what he meant by the word, but to me it always evoked images of schoolkids running wildly through the halls, gleefully screaming, flinging shreds of textbooks into the air...
    As heartwarming as your definition means to be, it is unfortunately not the case...
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

  15. #15
    Community Member schelsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    476

    Default

    I ve been VIP going on 5 years, about 1.5 years ago I thought I was done with DDO. I cancelled my subscriptions and went off doing other things. Facebook, Paltalk, Minecraft, Tried other mmos nothing caught my fancy. After about 4 months I logged back in, loaded up my original 1s toon (pure elf ranger), and got totally hooked again! I was totally having fun and discovered a lot that I had previously missed.

    Give it a break, try some other MMO's, after a month or two you too can probably rediscover what you originally loved.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

  16. #16
    Community Member zappazpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks guys for all the advice, it really means allot to me. I decided it's best for me to take a break from the game. Maybe a week or a month. I love the game still or maybe it's the addiction, but i think it's best for me to just take some time off. I still read the forums almost everyday and wish you all happy questing in the time being.
    "I'll get the one in the back. That's one hobgoblin who'll regret ever lifting a bow."

  17. #17
    Community Member Saravis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Don't just take a week, a week won't achieve anything and you'll be exactly where you're at now.
    I'd recommend at least 3 months. During that time you can preoccupy yourself with looking into other games, perhaps you'll find a satisfying replacement.

  18. #18
    The Hatchery sirgog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,195

    Default

    Before this game was grindy, I used to help new players all the time.

    Now though - if I'm on a level 12 character, I want them back at 20+ so that I can play with my friends again. I want that ASAP, and so I will only group with people that will not slow down that goal. And dungeon scaling makes anyone that isn't good or at least a bit above average into a liability that will make it take longer to get back to playing with friends again.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

    I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

  19. #19
    Community Member Chaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    As heartwarming as your definition means to be, it is unfortunately not the case...
    Well, so much for plausible deniability! But thanks for the link and the forbearance with which its presented.

    Onomatopoetically speaking, I think the word might also answer the question "What's left after the feces impacts the rotating oscillator?"
    Or maybe "What's the sound of the above mentioned impact?"

    Etymologically speaking (and knowing a words origins is often helpful in understanding how different usages evolve) it might denote unpacking pudding, because its common knowledge that pudding unpacked in a quest will be inexorable attracted to the nearest rotating oscillator to be more or less evenly distributed across the entire available selection of adventurers. So its perfectly understandable that the original LFM maker in question might have wanted to be sure prospective members understand that there would be no pudding unpacking in his quests.

    It's really a great word, despite its (some might say) sordid origins, and I can only hope that one day convention will amend the definition to reflect the word's broader potential.

    ...I still think of some stern headmaster standing witness to the riot of students running screaming through the strewn remains of the years papers and texts, raising his clawed hands towards the sky as he howls in exasperation, "What is this shatfoop?!?!?"

    ah, it just kills me.
    oh well. Man, language sucks.

    Have a nice week off, Zappaz. A little vacation is always nice, paid or unpaid.
    Last edited by Chaios; 11-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Chaeos of Argonessen, Human Rogue/Fighter
    Please re-break AC differently.

  20. #20
    Community Member Chaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Madcopyskills!
    Last edited by Chaios; 11-19-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Chaeos of Argonessen, Human Rogue/Fighter
    Please re-break AC differently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload