Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Possible group of players to try DDO - Questions regarding access/gaining favour

Hi there,

Myself and 4 others are thinking of trying out DDO. What we're looking for his a game that actually utilises each class, meaning rogues are useful and can disarm traps etc, each class does actually have a use and isn't just a filler role. We're PnP players but are now separated by a large distance, so look for an alternative.

So a couple of questions.

I've had a read and see that there are a certain amount of quests that are accessible for free players and that doing the quests can give favour which you then can use to obtain Turbine Points. The Turbine Points are then used to purchase adventure packs. Can anyone direct me to a good outline of this system, as in conversion between favour and turbine points? Can you gain favour from one quest over and over again or is it a one time gain?

What is the maximum size of a group as there are 5 of us?

Some of us can't afford much currently hence looking for a free option. So we're looking for something that will give us the opportunity to have some fun and enjoy each others company. While doing that we just don't want to start playing and then suddenly run up against a road block in regards to access. While I say that I realise the game cannot continue with out money and that is something that we may eventually put towards the game if there's a good starting structure and environment to start from.

Thanks to anyone that replies to this. Happy to answer any questions if this would help with answers.

Community Member

roles: roles in DDO are slightly different than in PnP. It's mostly DPS, DPS, DPS, DPS.. and perhaps one can do traps and other heal a bit more.. while focusing more on DPS.

earning TP: http://ddowiki.com/page/Turbine_Poin...Turbine_Points
    free quests: http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

repeating quests on the same character does not help you. but you can delete character, create a new one, and farm 100 favor => 25 TP again and again.

max group size is 6 for most quests. more for raids.

Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

I just read that detect secret doors is an ability you have to purchase now, where in the past it used to be an ability rogues had?

Is this game cash shop heavy? You have to spend to be useful?

Cheers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tharanicus View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I just read that detect secret doors is an ability you have to purchase now, where in the past it used to be an ability rogues had?
    Is this game cash shop heavy? You have to spend to be useful?
    Cheers
    this was probably a doom post. you don't have to purchase anything about detect secret doors.
    secret doors detection mechanics has been reworked recently so that spells Detect Secret Doors or True Seeing are not enough for the most hidden secret doors and a dedicated roguey character investing into the proper skills is not made obsolete by a level 2 spell.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    this was probably a doom post. you don't have to purchase anything about detect secret doors.
    secret doors detection mechanics has been reworked recently so that spells Detect Secret Doors or True Seeing are not enough for the most hidden secret doors and a dedicated roguey character investing into the proper skills is not made obsolete by a level 2 spell.
    And none of that costs any $$ or turbine points or even gold pieces. Just that you spend skill point on the search skill.*

Hi there,

Myself and 4 others are thinking of trying out DDO. What we're looking for his a game that actually utilises each class, meaning rogues are useful and can disarm traps etc, each class does actually have a use and isn't just a filler role. We're PnP players but are now separated by a large distance, so look for an alternative.

I've had a read and see that there are a certain amount of quests that are accessible for free players and that doing the quests can give favour which you then can use to obtain Turbine Points. The Turbine Points are then used to purchase adventure packs. Can anyone direct me to a good outline of this system, as in conversion between favour and turbine points? Can you gain favour from one quest over and over again or is it a one time gain?

Some of us can't afford much currently hence looking for a free option. So we're looking for something that will give us the opportunity to have some fun and enjoy each others company. While doing that we just don't want to start playing and then suddenly run up against a road block in regards to access. While I say that I realise the game cannot continue with out money and that is something that we may eventually put towards the game if there's a good starting structure and environment to start from.

Thanks to anyone that replies to this. Happy to answer any questions if this would help with answers.
    You can build for a role if you want. Say, making a cleric that just heals, that is an option. But it is not the type of game where the cleric IS the healbot. You can build one to be a tank that can heal, a melee dps that can heal, an offensive caster that can heal etc. You might even find a wizard or a ranger that fights with a great axe, and isnt doing a bad job of it. The possibilities for character building are HUGE, which also means its easy to build one that doesn't make any sense or work very well, but don't assume that someone is stuck in some role.

as far as free quests, I think there are ~120ish free quests and about 200 pay to play quests.
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 11-18-2013 at 05:22 AM.

Hi there,

edit:
    Hahahahahaha, your join date is messed up XD

you'll level up to 10 in no time, running to 20 is a tad bit harder but not imposible.
    Communication is the key here, buy the same packs, when you decide to do so.
    The free to play model is a nice try out opertunity, after a month you'll know well enough if you want to spend money on it.
    Be aware that low level content is different from mid/high/epic level content.

Some classes and races can be unlocked by gaining a certain amount of favor, dont buy those!
    for example, drow is unlocked by gaining 400 favor, roughly 2 hours of questing with a friendly veteran (tr zeger) player

The starter island is a good way to get introduced to the game, add a 6th veteran player to the group during the first 2 hours to help you set up and you'll be fine.
    Communication to other players is important too! Let people know that you're new. Some players have been here for many years and assume you have been too, they'll have their own ways of running quests fast whille your team is still figering out how to open the door.
    Having a microphone and speakers set up realy helps (ofter refered to as "ears")

As roles go:
    In ddo we build toons to fit a number of roles, i'ts not like you pick your role at the start of your character creation screen, like some other games do.
    In most quest having some one being able to do the traps is very usefull, some quest have runes that require certain stats to activate (like having a high int) so having a wide arange of classes is usefull.
    In terms of building your first character: dont be afraid to build, test and delete it. you'll start with 2 character slots per server (untill you spend money, then they become 4), so there is plenty of opportunity to test things out.

Besides DDO Wiki, the player base is the best source of information (players know the game better then the game devs by the looks of it),
    The best way t learn the game is by experiencing it, so make 5 acounts, 5 characters, find a friendly vet and see what happends.
    Last edited by lyrecono; 11-18-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: noticed something funny

If you are playing with a group of friends, all being new, you should be able to play any tradition roles you want just fine in your group. Read the ddowiki pages on the classes you're going to play, and then maybe check out the enhancement trees for those classes. Ignore the pre-made paths on the character creation screen as well as the solo ability ratings.

For favor...
    "As your character completes quests it earns favor points, which are a measure of how valued patrons find your character. Quests are worth increasing favor for each increasing level of difficulty (Casual, Normal, Hard, Elite). Only the highest difficulty level completed counts toward your favor total; repeating a quest on the same or lower difficulty will not increase your favor. Each character accumulates its own favor..."

"You gain 25 Turbine Points for each full 100 Favor gained by every character you ever make. Each character is tracked separately. Deleting a character does not erase the TP he or she earned."

"You gain bonus Turbine Points the very first time you reach certain total Favor thresholds on each server. You can gain each bonus only once per server."

"A common recommendation for earning TP is to reach 100 favor on each server. For each server you will earn 100 bonus TP for reaching 5, 25, and 50 favor for the first time on the server, 25 TP for reaching 100 favor, 100 TP for reaching 1000 favor, and an additional 100 TP for every 1000 thereafter. "

(Quotes pulled from the wiki because it's worded better than I could word it.)

Quest groups are a max of 6 players.
    Raid groups are a max of 12 players.

As a person who started out playing Free to play with real life friends I can say that it's a lot of fun.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Community Member

I think you'll be satisfied with the amount of utility and special features that you'll find in the game's quests. DDO's traps and secret doors system is well nigh legendary and makes playing a rogue huge amounts of fun, and there are also quests where you'll get a chance to use the various dialogue skills, cleanse altars with holy power, bust things open with a high Strength score, and so on and so forth. It's a lot of fun. It does as good a job of capturing the narrated D&D adventure feel as anyone could reasonably expect from a video game, and it's great for group play with friends.

Free access isn't bad at all, there's lots of free to play content and more is added regularly. You can earn turbine points over and over playing just the free content, though you may need to use different characters to do that; the special bonuses you get from reaching certain thresholds for the first time on each server are significant and you will easily earn enough TP to buy a few additional adventure packs this way.

Also of note is that if any of your group do decide to get a subscription or buy adventure packs, then those people can purchase relatively inexpensive "guest pass" items to give other friends temporary access, which is a pretty neat system for bridging the gap between those who decide to pay and those who don't.

You can absolutely make a party of stereotypically- roled characters in ddo. The tanky fighter, sneaky rogue, healbot cleric, squishy, but powerful wizard, raging dps-heavy barb.....it all works and you can have a lotta fun

Just know that if you decide to grp these characters with the general population, they may be lacking, as most players tend try and improve on the stereotype

You'll have no trouble finishing any free to play quests. There are no situations where you wont get a chest or find a secret door simply cuz u didnt pay.

And welcome! Hope you have fun

You really can play DDO for free, and earn turbine points (TP) while doing so (100 favor = 25 turbine points).
    Spending 5$ to buy the cheepest points pack makes a big difference to playing the game (you become premium, this unlocks lots of stuff, such as platinum cap per level, mail, support for 30 days I think, 2 more character slots).
    Spend TP to buy access to more content, then shared bank. (Don't buy Drow, you get that at 400tp)

You can play "properly" with roles - everyone needs to be able to do damage because that's what you do 90% of the time in missions.
    There are 3 roles inD&D, trapper, healer, damager

Trapper for new players means a rogue (can buy Artificer later in game) - there are a few traps in most low level missions, normally 1/2 in missions. On normal difficulty a hit from a trap won't kill, on hard difficulty they might kill, on elite difficulty they will kill. There's often a secret door or 2 and occasionally a locked chest/door - the locked stuff is extra loot (and XP) and never stops you completing a mission.

Healer - this is your cleric - pretty much as you expect. Remember clerics can heal "proactivly" using spells against enemies - such as soundburst and AoE stun. And clerics can hit things with weapons. Spell points are limited, use wands a lot if you can. People should have cure potions and use them on themselves as well.

Damager - fighters, barbs, wizards, sorcs etc. All need to be able to do damage. Melees might invest in intimidate to taunt enemies onto them, spellcasters in diplomacy to "untaunt" mobs away from them.

Hi there,

Which edition of PnP? DDO is (rather loosely these days) based on 3.5. All first level characters start in the Eberron setting, and can journey to the Forgotten Realms around level 16+ (newly created "Iconic" characters can go to the Forgotten Realms right away, but they're not free).

DDO is actually pretty well-suited for groups of friends to play together trying to simulate the tabletop experience (as long as they're flexible about the "DM" changing the rules pretty drastically, heh). Check out the "Permadeath and Static Groups" forum area if you want to read through some other folks experiences with this sort of thing. Five players is a good group size, DDO allows up to 6, so you could even add a hireling for extra healing in that 6th spot. If you start with just the free stuff, you'll have access to human, elf, dwarf & Halfling, but not half-elf, half-orc or warforged. The monk, druid, favored soul and artificer classes will also be off-limits, at least at the beginning. That still leaves a pretty good selection to choose from when you put together your group. The level 1 & 2 quests are all free-to-play, but starting at level 3 you'll start running into paid content, so that's likely the first priority for spending any points you earn on - there will still be free quests, and you can get quite a ways without buying any packs, so don't feel compelled to buy Catacombs (the lowest level pack) as soon as you've got enough points for it - there might be another choice that suits your group's interests better.

Another thing - DDO tries (with varying degrees of success) to provide some challenge for "powergamers" while still remaining accessible to "casuals", so if you read the forums a lot you may find assertions that various quests are too easy, but keep in mind the point of view that's coming from - players who've memorized every trap, puzzle and ambush, know all the attacks monsters will use and what they're most vulnerable to...you get the idea. Basically, don't get too frustrated if you create "flavor builds", enter quests you don't know on "Elite" difficulty, and get trounced. Just try lower difficulties while you get to know the quests, and consider doing a little research on gear, spell choice and tactics that might help if you find you're having trouble even on lower difficulty settings (don't let the level 1 quests fool you, this can happen in the higher level quests).

Most of all, welcome, and have fun

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrix View Post
    You can play "properly" with roles - everyone needs to be able to do damage because that's what you do 90% of the time in missions.
    There are 3 roles inD&D, trapper, healer, damager
    Well, actually there's also the buffer. Not an absolutely necessary role but occasionally makes things easier. A rogue buffed by a bard (Inspire Competence...) can get slightly harder traps than just by himself, for example.

And damager can be subdivided into at least two or three kinds - melee, ranged, caster.

One character can be built to do one or two of these well, or three passably (say, rogue-splashed ranger - trapper, melee, ranged?)... and advanced characters can sometimes manage to not completely suck at four.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

My current guild is exactly that - RL friends. It's waxed and waned somewhat as we all have families, but we still get together for static grouping.

Several of us got hooked and went VIP a few years back (and still play). Most though are premium - having spent some money in the store.

The free game is very friendly to level up in the early game (say, 10 and below). Quests can get a bit sparse in the higher levels and you may find you're repeating a bit of content. Very quickly you'll start to gain TP and favor, unlocking some content and the like. You'll also start to amass some gear and goods you can use and you may find those first characters

Some advice
    - Don't buy drow. It unlocks with favor fairly easily.
    - When you all have some favor and TP earned, come back for advice on packs to buy.
    - Don't spend money on reincarnation for your first characters if they've not reached 20. It may sound like it is painful, but up to a certain point it's really generally better to simply roll a new character or delete/reroll.
    - Make sure you create characters on the same server. It may sound intuitive and simple, but RL groups miss this enough I thought I should mention it.

You also have the option (the whole group) of coming here and looking for advice. I'd suggest you weigh this carefully. I still recall fondly struggling through and exploring early content - that isn't something I'd spoil for anyone if they really didn't want some pointers. Learning some of those for yourself is fun; that said the game (for me) is still plenty fun once I know some of the tricks (you still have to execute them, and you can always challenge your own efficiency).

Max group size is 6. Hireling clerics are pretty good and can ease the pain a bit. If you group with others, there's a chance you could group with someone who's got the best gear for that level and knows the quest inside and out - that can be a bit off-putting unless you're really looking for someone to show you the ropes in that regard and they are willing to take the time.

I'm not sure what your PNP games were like from a mechanics standpoint. I think maybe some more pointers can come if you can describe that.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The wiki is chock-full of useful info, though some of it hasn't been updated for the latest Update (U20). Here are a couple other useful links:

http://ddowiki.com/page/PnP_differences- I also a wrote a brief partial summary of differences here.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Favor

Community Member

you can certainly build a classic DnD party, but you can also build in plenty of redundancy too which will help no end when things go rump over chest.

this game will catch you out by surprise, your healer will go down by accident (or get incapacitated in some way). so having other characters that can either heal or raise dead will greatly boost your chances of completing a quest first time.

it is actually one of the games strong points, and one old vets can often forget about when they know each quest back to front. the quests we have are brilliant, some are of course a fairly standard affair, but others will catch you out and make you think on your feet. they will test you and they will make you fight for survival and it will be a ton of fun.

you will be constantly saving each others lives, even with simple items from the newbie zone. like DnD a character between -9 and 0 HP is not dead, their party bar goes pink and they cannot take any actions, but any incoming source of HP to push them over 0 will get them back on their feet. in korthos the newbie zone you can all pick up bracers of assistance, those cast the bless spell which gives temporary HP. with that even a raging barbarian can save an incapacitated cleric if he drops rage first.

many classes have access to divine healing, and while they are not as potent with is as a cleric of favoured soul might be it will still give them access to cheap wands (compared to pots) that can be used to top up between fights or help save a party member in distress. such wants can even be used before that class gets the spell, eg a paladin or ranger can cast cure light at lvl4, but they can buy and use a wand of cure light at lvl1.

use magic device is also a brilliant skill for similar reasons, when it matures it will allow the character to use heal scrolls, which give enough of a kick to be a viable source of self healing when wands and pots don't really keep up with the scaling HP and damage you take. rogues, bards and artificers get this as a class skill making it much easier to get enough UMD for heal scrolls, but many other classes can benefit from it too. a paladin or a sorcerer are also good examples as both tend to have a high CHA score to help mitigate only having half ranks in the cross class UMD. also while heal scrolls take a while to mature raise dead scrolls are much easier to get working as they are quite viable even with a 50% chance. lets face it, when your mate is dead it doesn't always matter if it takes a few rolls to get them back up again, they can't get any more dead than they already are

that is just the healing side of things. many classic roles can be expanded on, get the cleric to try out command or soundburst, two low level spells that can stop mobs from attacking the party. clerics can do wonders when they cast offensively, why wait to heal when you can cast to prevent needing to heal? you might also find that the rogues sneak attack damage is quite comparable to the barbarians damage as you all level up. in DDO sneak attacks are a lot easier to milk than in PnP, so make good use of that by ensuring your friendly rogue is adept at killing as well as traps. most trap work comes from paying attention to items and buffs not build, this leaves plenty of room for building a nice little killer.

there will be a lot for you guys to learn about the game, in some ways it is a lot like playing DnD with a new DM who has a campaign power setting you are not used to and house rules you have to learn. it still retains a lot of the flavour though, and the real time action adds a lot to the gameplay.

as for content, save your points for higher level adventure packs. you can also farm points for free as mentioned by rolling up new toons on a different server together and pushing for 100 favour before deleting them and starting over. once you are higher level those that are happy to pay can assist with this by running through the favour dash at a faster speed than if you were all lvl1, so try to ensure those who won't be able to splash the cash keep 1 slot free for this on your chosen home server. the VIP 500 TP/month and guest passes is also a great way to help play more content at higher levels.

because this game will probably be quite different to the DnD you are used to i'd like to recommend you look up some newbie friendly builds. i had quite the shock when i made my first char here after years of DnD!

also don't feel like you need a vet to show you the ropes, part of the fun is in exploring the quests without spoilers. by all means ask for help when you need it, especially with the mechanics, but i'd not recommend the 5 of you play follow the leader in quests with a vet sprinting off ahead.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Other piece of advice ...

PNP casters are spell-slot limited. While you have to watch your spell points in DDO (esp. as a new player) you will have many more "casts" between rests - the HP / time / etc. scales are all different (necessarily so for an MMO adaption).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

A big thanks to everyone for replying to my post!

@Arianrhod - mostly we've played 2nd Ed AD&D with the occasional 3.5 Ed game, various settings from homemade to Ravenloft, Dragonlance, and Darksun. Another table top game I've played is Rift (Palladium Books)

One thing I'd like to say is that I'd do not expect to capture the 'around the table' feel of PnP style games. That will always have it's own flavour. The main thing here is to have fun and enjoy each others company.

Other games that we're considering are Neverwinter Online & Rift. I've played both but am leaning towards D&D Online as it appears to be very group-centric which is what I'm looking for, but it is up for the group to make a decision to which game we try. I have played D&D Online (briefly) years ago so I'm sure there's been a number of changes.

Is there in game voice support?

Once again, thanks for the replies. I've started looking through the DDO Wiki, lots of info there.

*salute*
    Last edited by Tharanicus; 11-19-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Is there in game voice support?
    Yes, though you might have to turn all of the sound effects, ambient sound and DM narration way way down and turn voice chat and master to max to be able to hear people clearly. Once you've done that it works fine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Yes, though you might have to turn all of the sound effects, ambient sound and DM narration way way down and turn voice chat and master to max to be able to hear people clearly. Once you've done that it works fine.
    So if you have access to TS, use that instead?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast