Default All Worlds Closed??

I have been getting all worlds closed, servers marked red for almost an hour or so. Been waiting for some announcement or other forum posting about it but nothing yet.

For last 4-5 hrs at least, I couldn't log on to ddo and kept getting server update error, till I finally got in and all the worlds showed closed.

Whats happening?
    Is it just me?

Turbine's data center lost power around 5 pm Eastern USA today. Because the backups failed, the servers shut down badly. Turbine restored had power restored about four hours ago, but are still verifying equipment, testing the servers, and so on. There is no ETA on when servers will be up per the DDO Facebook site.
    There is no free lunch.

Everything went down, forums included, about 8 hours ago. So no need for concern, it's not just you.

Good to hear that! I mean, the not just me part

Thanks for the replies! Hope they sort it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    Turbine's data center lost power around 5 pm Eastern USA today. Because the backups failed, the servers shut down badly. Turbine restored had power restored about four hours ago, but are still verifying equipment, testing the servers, and so on. There is no ETA on when servers will be up per the DDO Facebook site.
    Where did you get this Information at all? Not that I doubt you, but I cant find any official statement to the whole cause at all

Could you PLEASE give us the possibility to switch on and of the savant auras?

I was online when the servers crashed. Turbine posted on Facebook when power was restored.

Edit - Turbine also, eventually, posted on Facebook they had no ETA on servers being up not too long before servers came up.
    Last edited by Arnhelm; 11-18-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    There is no free lunch.

Ah ok, ty! I was online also - but I dont have a Facebook Account

Would still be nice if one of the officials could poste a few words here also.

Could you PLEASE give us the possibility to switch on and of the savant auras?

You can follow DDO's Facebook page without logging on here - https://www.facebook.com/DDOUnlimited

Twitter page can be found here - https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited

Good links to have in situations like this most recent one.
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member

I was online when the servers shut down.
    When logged on again about 2 hours ago, I noticed that the backup didn't restore everything up to the crash. I just leveled my character a few minutes before shutdown and when I logged on again she was backupped to a spot a few minutes before leveling. Fortunately at that time she just completed a quest, so no progress was lost. All in all it might be a time of 15-20 minutes at most.

So if you have a sudden case of deja vu with your characters being in a place they left before, that's why. I hope for eveyone it didn't hit them just after completing a quest or rolling some cool piece of loot.

Strangely my char also has Tales of valor item in her inventory, that's unusuable (that was the end reward for the quest I just finished, but no idea why it's in the inventory now).

Community Manager

You can follow DDO's Facebook page without logging on here - https://www.facebook.com/DDOUnlimited

Indeed. Unfortunately, the issues yesterday evening also impacted our ability to log into the web site, which is why knowing that Facebook/Twitter is out there can benefit players looking for the latest information, especially when we experience an unexpected downtime event.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DunkleNymphe View Post
    Strangely my char also has Tales of valor item in her inventory, that's unusuable (that was the end reward for the quest I just finished, but no idea why it's in the inventory now).
    That has been known to happen before (possibly in similar circumstances) - related to the reason why you can't take the renown items from chests if your backpack is full.

So, apparently your toon got reverted to the state between getting the end reward and the auto-use-from-backpack triggering.

So... does your guild have a guild chest? (If it doesn't trigger when taken from there, you may need to mail it to someone... IIRC that should still work?)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Indeed. Unfortunately, the issues yesterday evening also impacted our ability to log into the web site, which is why knowing that Facebook/Twitter is out there can benefit players looking for the latest information, especially when we experience an unexpected downtime event.
    How does it impact your ability to log into the web site? People were still posting last night while I was spending two hours after work trying to log in... Unless you mean it somehow affects your ability to log in on dev accounts. FB/Twitter is a nice thought, but I hate the roulette of finding which one of the eight results is right when I type "dungeons and dragons" into the FB bar, and IMO saying you tweeted about it is like saying Turbine sent smoke signals.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

Community Member

Why then could player log on and make post but company employees could not?
    A Player of a clonk
    funniest thing I have read in a while=>
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    we'd rather spend that development time on things most players like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fefnir_2011 View Post
    How does it impact your ability to log into the web site? People were still posting last night while I was spending two hours after work trying to log in... Unless you mean it somehow affects your ability to log in on dev accounts. FB/Twitter is a nice thought, but I hate the roulette of finding which one of the eight results is right when I type "dungeons and dragons" into the FB bar, and IMO saying you tweeted about it is like saying Turbine sent smoke signals.
    Well when a data center loses power all the computers shut off not just the game servers. That means no website, no forums, no store, no authentication servers, no game, no anything. This is why they went through the trouble of setting up alternate channels of communication so that word can get out. They were posting to Twitter, Facebook and Cordovan was on DDOchat.com too so that people knew what was going on.

If you hate social networking sites like I do then sign up for Twitter and just subscribe to things you care about. It is a great way to monitor what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by emtp View Post
    Why then could player log on and make post but company employees could not?
    It was actually flip-flopping up and down for an hour after they said the power was restored. I suspect that the community team had to wait until the server tech said it was all clear. Meanwhile we didn't care and just jumped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    It was actually flip-flopping up and down for an hour after they said the power was restored. I suspect that the community team had to wait until the server tech said it was all clear. Meanwhile we didn't care and just jumped in.
    Sort of understandable, but still kind of frustrating... It only takes one dev with a smart phone to hop on the forums and say, "HOLY LAGBALLS THE SERVER DONE BLEW A FUSE!"

As far as social media, it's not that I hate it, I just avoid Facebook because of how badly it's been screwed up by its developers lately. And I only use Twitter from my phone, where I either have to scroll through the 2 million tweets made since I last checked or hunt for the right dev to see what they posted... It's all archaic and poorly designed for my needs compared to coming to the forums and just checking the dev tracker for an update.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

I think you meant 'unscheduled' there Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

That's all fine and dandy, but there's a problem when you go hours between updates with no ETA. Either providing an ETA or hourly updates when there is no ETA should be the standard in communicating with your customers. This is the second or third major outage this year and our "community representatives" have done a horrible job of communicating with the players each time. In fact, it's far better to go to the Lotro Facebook or Twitter feed to get information then DDO. That's a shame that we can't be communicated with nearly as well as LOTRO when you guys work for the same company in the same building.

Thanks for the links Arnhelm!

Bookmarked the twitter link. I will remember to check it the next time before going paranoid about my net connection lol :P