Community Member

Default Who can we group with these days?

Who exactly can group at epic levels without experience penalties? I noticed I joined a Von 5/6 raid on Epic Hard (which I think makes it a level 22 quest but could be level 23) on a level 20 character and noticed that there was no exp penalty of any kind even though their was a level 28 in the group. Is that just because it was a raid or is that the way the game works now? Can level 20 and 28's do any epic quest with no power leveling penalty? Can a level 28 do a level 20 epic quest with no over-level penalty? If there are still penalties, what are they (e.g. can a level 28 do level 22 quests but not level 21 quests without causing a penalty)?
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

AFAIK there are no powerlevel penalties in epic, which is a good thing.

As for the over level penalties: in a lvl 22+ quest, lvl 28 don't do a penalty.

So the rule is :
    Run quests lvl 22 and over and you don't have to bother with any kind of level penalty.

If you have to run a lvl 21 quest (like house P on EH or amrath elite) then max level is 27.

If you run a lvl 20 quest then the max level is 25.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Experience
    Scroll down for epic over level penalties

It isn't quite that simple.

They did remove the powerleveling penalty, and change the overlevel penalty as previously described.

As a result of that, is it is pretty doable to have a higher level toon run with a lower level party doing the lower level epic content.

However, it is also now impossible to enter a quest that is more than 4 levels over your toon. Starting with Epic Gianthold, that can matter. To enter an EE GH quest or a EH FoT, you need to be lvl 22. And for newer stuff it goes up from there. To enter EE Stormhorns, you need to be lvl 25, or 26 for the newest lvl 28 quest.

So having a lower level toon run with a higher level party on higher level content, can't work at all, even if someone was willing to take an XP hit.

This particularly odd since it is most problematic on the newest content, which can't be good for sales.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Can level 19s run with level 20s ..... and/or 21s?

how about level 19s with level 24. or level 19 and 25? level 19 and 26+.
    How does that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Can level 19s run with level 20s ..... and/or 21s?
    In appropriate content like Amrath & I.Q. (as well as a few slayer areas) Yes, with out issue.

how about level 19s with level 24. or level 19 and 25? level 19 and 26+.
    How does that work?
    Again, assuming you're talking about with out penalties, afik Slayer areas are your only option here. I think they fixed the whole "Heroic toons in Epic quests" thing, though tbh I haven't tried it to confirm one way or the other.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    In appropriate content like Amrath & I.Q. (as well as a few slayer areas) Yes, with out issue.

Again, assuming you're talking about with out penalties, afik Slayer areas are your only option here. I think they fixed the whole "Heroic toons in Epic quests" thing, though tbh I haven't tried it to confirm one way or the other.
    Thx.

Well, what I was really concerned with is when they first fixed the "heroics in epics" thing... there was problems with people grouping together in quests that they should have been able to group in.

I keep seeing LFMs that I do not know if I should join or not.
    Both because I do not know if everyone will be able to enter the quest, and also if anyone will get an XP penalty or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Well, what I was really concerned with is when they first fixed the "heroics in epics" thing... there was problems with people grouping together in quests that they should have been able to group in.
    If I recall, when they first fixed the Heroics in Epics thing, there were issues for (Heroic) people trying to enter quests while grouped with Epic people even for purely social reasons - not sure if this got resolved, but I would guess so as I haven't heard anything about it for quite a while.

I keep seeing LFMs that I do not know if I should join or not.
    Both because I do not know if everyone will be able to enter the quest, and also if anyone will get an XP penalty or not.
    I think this is because the LFM panel by default creates your postings level range with you at the center point, so if you're level 20 and post for Epic Lords of Dust the default LFM is for 18-22, even though the 18/19s are actually ineligible to enter.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...