Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bakalakadaka View Post
    So true - been so long since I've seen one of these they are nearly mythical. Sick of getting items with 3 or 4 minor boosts on them pushing up the min level when all you want is something to boost a specific skill as much as you can at a reasonable level. I mean what rogue is EVER going to use a CHA +2 SPOT +7 cloak with a yellow augment at level 13 when what you want is a pure SPOT +13 or 15?
    To build upon this complaint (and just a bit off topic), players can only make Cannith Crafted skills up to +13. Those shards make items level 11, in which they are useful for a few more levels, even with the increased Trap DCs in the game. However, Augments for skills lag way behind, with a +11 being level 20. So the trapskill Augments are complete junk at level.

So Trappers have to rely more on named drops that give Exceptional skills to boost those skills, which there are less than a handful. This seems especially true since Update 19 with the removal of some of the Trapper skill boosts for Rogue and Artis and the removal of finding at level +15 skill items, the increase of trap DCs and the destroying the usefulness of Detect Secret Door and Trueseeing...among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    To build upon this complaint (and just a bit off topic), players can only make Cannith Crafted skills up to +13. Those shards make items level 11, in which they are useful for a few more levels, even with the increased Trap DCs in the game. However, Augments for skills lag way behind, with a +11 being level 20. So the trapskill Augments are complete junk at level.

So Trappers have to rely more on named drops that give Exceptional skills to boost those skills, which there are less than a handful. This seems especially true since Update 19 with the removal of some of the Trapper skill boosts for Rogue and Artis and the removal of finding at level +15 skill items, the increase of trap DCs and the destroying the usefulness of Detect Secret Door and Trueseeing...among other things.
    Not that it helps for search, but one outlier introduced recently was lowering the total ML for the cannith challenge spare hand down to 13 with masterful craftsmanship for the level 16 tier 3s. Of course, you have to be or have a level... 15? to enter one of the materials-required challenges? A minimum of 25 in a school, and either get lucky, or have enough favor with house C to buy the specialty mats. (Yes, it's convoluted. No, it's not anywhere near ideal. It is however a workaround with a side order of perk for crafting investment.)

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

One thing that has always bothered me about loot in this game is armor and shields.
    The main purpose of armor and shields is protection.
    So IMO, any armor or shield that does not start with "+5" (or +6) after a certain level (about level 8) is useless to me and I consider it vender junk.

Next.
    Speaking of armor and shields...lol

Class specific end rewards.

I play a lot of Rgrs.
    I get several sets of armor.... and I only need one.... I have no reason carry more than one set, so unless it is better than what I currently use..... well.... IMO I want one end reward option to be armor... not five or six.

Shields... I get almost none now.
    What I do get is "light" shields for some reason.
    I want heavy shields.
    I want guaranteed "one" shield as a class specific end reward.

Why do I get handwraps in my end reward lists all the time?

Why Bastard swords all the time?

Why is the common long sword not common?

Why does my Rgr never get any bows as a class specific end reward option?

stuff like this is annoying.

I miss the random loot options we had before the last change.
    Pandamonium, crusader....etc. We had IMO nice random weapons dropping for us.
    (had nice armor too actually... too many... but nice.)

Partially off topic.
    There was an old metal shield appearance that I liked. Circular with an arrowhead symbol on it.
    Shame it will never drop again.
    Shame that I find every shield design unattractive.

It has been a very long time since I was happy when I opened a chest.. (other than named items which are pretty good.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

...players can only make Cannith Crafted skills up to +13...
    Cannith Crafting is just not an option. To make this +13 shard you need to have crafting level 88 (or near enough to get a fair chance of success) and that is for a bound one - if you want to make it for someone else you are looking at a ridiculous lvl 138. That's many many many thousands of essences to gain the levels and make the item and then (as you point out) it is only +13 so you are going to want to upgrade it almost immediately.

Cannith Crafting is a complete joke - probably the worst crafting system I have encountered apart from STO.

Bring back the pure loot!

So you picked up a good item that has what, an ML 27? 28? You are at end game - the loot will be amazing. Even random loot. Should it be better than at level Raid loot? No. Might it be better than ML 23 named loot? Yes.
    You missed the point. The random belt I got to replace the named giant's belt from EH TOR can drop in EE TOR. Never should random loot from an EE quest eclipse the actual named loot from the same quest on E, EH or EE. Also, you missed the fact that there were 4 of them in the AH. 4!!! So this amazing piece of loot, is common, a lot more common than the EH named giant's belt. You must agree that this situation is wrong.

Community Member

Cannith Crafting is just not an option. To make this +13 shard you need to have crafting level 88 (or near enough to get a fair chance of success) and that is for a bound one - if you want to make it for someone else you are looking at a ridiculous lvl 138. That's many many many thousands of essences to gain the levels and make the item and then (as you point out) it is only +13 so you are going to want to upgrade it almost immediately.

Cannith Crafting is a complete joke - probably the worst crafting system I have encountered apart from STO.

Bring back the pure loot!
    I agree. But it shows the lunacy that the "new and improved" bland loot system combined with the inflation of needed trapper DCs that came with Update 19, in addition to the neglect and stagnation of the Cannith crafting, the horrible placement of values vs level for skill Augments and the dependence of rare effects (Exceptional skills) and non-class abilities (GH). These loot changes were claimed to help new players, but I don't see how they do anything but hinder new players.

I'm not restricting myself to epics here - Dr Loot was asking a general question and I'm giving a general answer. Personally I'm a bit peeved that too many people are so epic focused and forget that there is a whole pile of content in the heroic tier which is still being played by both new and old players and it needs as much attention as the epic end of the game. The loot changes are a problem across all levels not just the top end.
    You don't seem to understand that they have already listened to the casual heroic player. That is what got us in this mess. they have already made it possible for you to be uber without farming for epic weapons. That's is the problem. There absolutely has to be a definitive end game for this system to survive. There cannot be a mudding of the waters so much that 90% of the rare loot is rendered useless because we have been given insane random loot.

We are complaining because we have been striving towards these epic weapons for YEARS, YEARS and YEARS of grinding our butts off, not casually mind you, but intensely in order to get the best gear in the game, to complete our epic items. A system they set in place as THE END GAME. And they go and take the entire system and trash it. They have eliminated the worth of all but a VERY select few epic items. Why grind for them? Why bother? So they will sit in the bank? You wouldn't even use these items when you Epic TR, or after you TR and hit 20 again. Why? Because, there is already ML15 loot that blows the epic loot away. Why did this happen Turbine?

I mean, were you so upset at the complaining by casual players that you go and say F-IT!! I will SHUT DOWN THE SYSTEM!!! Well, that's what happened. On my lvl 20 cleric I no longer run epic quests for the shards/seals. I don't need to anymore. I just run some lvl 17-18 quests for gear. This gear is common and much better. Which is wrong.
    Last edited by Hadesborne; 11-22-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Community Member

Default loot

Since the Faerun campaign is becoming more integral will we see more items from FAerun like the white skull mask? Would be an awesome find. There are lots of amazing items in the campaign setting we would love to find on here.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Happy Friday, everyone. I’d like to introduce myself as a bit of a new dev face on the forums. First, it’s about time I quit lurking, and second, I’m putting on an additional hat on the DDO team. What hat is that? In a word: loot. I’m here to listen to you and to keep my eyes on the big picture. Yes, that includes avoiding Ghostbane-situations.

So in the name of listening rather than blathering on and on, I’d like to ask you all a few questions as a sort of pulse-check on the state of loot. Go on and fill up the thread – I’ll check back in after the weekend (and a bit today, as schedule permits), with head-nods, follow-up questions, and answers where necessary.

- Aside from the diversity issue, what are the biggest problems with random loot, today?
    - What weapon and equipment types do you feel are underserved in named and in random loot?
    - I’d love to hear about some of the non-named loot your characters are currently wearing.

(In the future, I’m planning some similar question sessions about named loot and named loot systems, BTW.)

I have read a number of the posts on this thread and have seen some good ideas and some not so good. As far as random loot goes, I say leave it alone. It has always been vender trash and should remain just that, its the anticipation of getting that 1 in a 1000 drop that keeps the game exciting. The only change would be to bring back all of the prefixes and suffixes, this would make everyone happy, including me.
    As far as the problem with epic gear being underpowered goes the answer is simple, treat it like greensteel, and make the min lvl for epic items 14 or 15. A person would still have to farm at over lvl 20 to make an item, but could then use that item as a tr to good effect. I also saw the idea of adding a tier to greensteel and epics, I think that would be awsume. A new lvl 25 raid Return to the Shroud with a forth alter would be great, likewise a system to upgrade epics at that same lvl, Supierior epic antique greataxe anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bcoon1 View Post
    As far as the problem with epic gear being underpowered goes the answer is simple, treat it like greensteel, and make the min lvl for epic items 14 or 15. A person would still have to farm at over lvl 20 to make an item, but could then use that item as a tr to good effect.
    no thanks. too much power creep there, not that Turbine seems to really care (EPLs in heroics, dumbed down quests, etc). not to mention epic items should be for epic characters, not heroic characters. some of the epic gear is more epic twink gear than anything else, but much harder to get than heroic comparison.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    no thanks. too much power creep there, not that Turbine seems to really care (EPLs in heroics, dumbed down quests, etc). not to mention epic items should be for epic characters, not heroic characters. some of the epic gear is more epic twink gear than anything else, but much harder to get than heroic comparison.
    I believe that you missed the point, or I didn't explain properly. I'm only talking about the old epic crafting system, not all "epics", a person would still need to farm a load of epic quests to get the ingredients, but could use the item at a lower lvl after tr'ing, just like with greensteel. As far as power creep goes, its already happened, as of last update there are now easily soloable lvl 15 quests that guarantee +8 items at completion, most of the old epic crafting items are not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by DagazUlf View Post
    Roman Numeral notation. Please get rid of this. It may save text space, but it makes the loot bland and dull and is really quite confusing for determination of what exactly it does.
    This.

I hate the Roman Numeral loot.

I really liked what we had before.

Take Shroud weapons and the SoS off the table and you'll find that all Heroic Raid weapons have a lower base damage than random weapons in the same level range. This is because almost all random weapons over the level 10 were made into Paragon weapons that give weapons a +0.5W, but raid weapons were untouched. So even though the raid weapon is a +5 weapon, a random weapon of the same type that is two levels lower and only a +1 or +2 still does more base damage than the raid weapon.

And still in spite of this, Cloudburst is the best Heroic weapon, hands down, because noone really cares about physical damage when you have a proc that hits 7-8 mobs for 150 damage each.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bcoon1 View Post
    I believe that you missed the point, or I didn't explain properly. I'm only talking about the old epic crafting system, not all "epics", a person would still need to farm a load of epic quests to get the ingredients, but could use the item at a lower lvl after tr'ing, just like with greensteel. As far as power creep goes, its already happened, as of last update there are now easily soloable lvl 15 quests that guarantee +8 items at completion, most of the old epic crafting items are not that good.
    no, I understood what you meant and didn't miss the point. that epic twink gear would invalidate GS and some other named loot quite easily, which I also should have mentioned in my post.

Community Member

Default Prolly bindun

Couldn't bring myself to trawl all 22 pages of this, but just on the off chance it hasn't been moaned about yet - spot, search, ol & dis dev items at the levels of availability they were before ... i.e., really not cheap for most players but possible if that's what you targeted first, even on a new character on a new account.
    As it is, pure Int Rogs are the only ones with a chance. I'm on record several times as being frightfully keen on pure Rog Mechs being given a boost over others, but this has been taken a bit too far. Being the only ones who can hit certain traps and locks on EE SHOULd be enough pay-off for those of us who build our rogues for rogueing first.
    Assasins, Artis and other 'inferior' trappers (;p) should still be able to gear properly without recourse to named items and ownership of certain packs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    And still in spite of this, Cloudburst is the best Heroic weapon, hands down, because noone really cares about physical damage when you have a proc that hits 7-8 mobs for 150 damage each.
    Fine, you just pointed out the 2nd non-Shroud Heroic Raid weapon in the game that isn't inferior to the generic loot of the same type. So what if Greatsword melees have superior raid weapons? It doesn't negate the problem with Heroic Raid weapons not receiving a boost when Paragon weapons were added.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    I may be the only one to say this but....as a serious casual gamer and some one who spends a fair chunk of change on this game I want my opinions heard. I represent those players who love the game, will spend money on the game but don't have a ton of play tome or play in off peak Horus when groups are hard to come by .

I want ant yo say random loot should be almost as good as named and crafted loot. Almost but not as. I love call the named prefixes such as suns fury before they disappeared. Bring those back and others and don't nerd random loot to oblivion. It's good for those of us who don't have the time or the abilities to raid shroud or do the challenges
    I agree.

Grinding should be rewarded, but not so much better that the casual guy gets left in the dust.

There are ways to make named loot very attractive without making it super powerful.

And yes... the old prefixes were great for the casual player. I want those back.

Oh... but actually.. there is some very nice named loot that drops frequently and/or does not require a lot of grinding.
    Many newer quest chains offer named loot options very frequently.

IMO, grinding should be rewarded....but not so much as to make other loot obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Cleaves, Cloudburst, etc. are one of the few things that lets melee pretend to be a caster. Gather, cleaves.

There are still a few very solid items that haven't been eclipsed by lootgen - and those are the ones that offer meaningful special abilities that weren't also marginalized by some other system change (AC, PRR, incoming damage, plentiful SLAs/no need for mana conservation, etc.).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Red Augments on Rune Arms Please

Dr. Loot,

Please add red/orange/purple augment slots to rune arms.

This will provide more options to offset changes from the Enhancement pass regarding a decrease in arty spell power.

Need to buff spell power with red augments.

Thanks,

Liv

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    I am horribly, horribly embarrassed; so much so that I've gone back and edited the original post. DrOctothorpe does not make punctuation errors... except, apparently, for when he does! I'm so glad you all did not shun this thread on account of that faux pas.
    soooooo.... you're Feather's replacement. Be careful or they'll replace you too... (evil laughter)

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast