Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Happy Friday, everyone. I’d like to introduce myself as a bit of a new dev face on the forums. First, it’s about time I quit lurking, and second, I’m putting on an additional hat on the DDO team. What hat is that? In a word: loot. I’m here to listen to you and to keep my eyes on the big picture. Yes, that includes avoiding Ghostbane-situations.

So in the name of listening rather than blathering on and on, I’d like to ask you all a few questions as a sort of pulse-check on the state of loot. Go on and fill up the thread – I’ll check back in after the weekend (and a bit today, as schedule permits), with head-nods, follow-up questions, and answers where necessary.
    Hi, welcome. [quote]
    - Aside from the diversity issue, what are the biggest problems with random loot, today?[/qupte]
    1. High-level random loot outclassing the highest tiers of named loot in a lot of ways, in particular making a lot of gear from Epic Gianthold (including from the Fall of Truth). This is due to things like +9, +10, +11 stat bonuses, +9, +10, +11 resistance, +6-11 Deadly, up to +14ish Stunning/Sunder/Trip appearing on random lootgen (and even stuff with slots, also).
    2. The metagame has shifted to emphasize item augment slots, but it's difficult to acquire many augments, and there aren't enough worthwhile effects in yellow (and some effects that should probably gain augment equivalents, like some level of healing amp).
    3. It used to be that good named weapons were the best things to be swinging with in general, but a few random loot combinations could be best in slot for a particular enemy or situation (Paralyzing of Pure Good had no named equivalent, and especially not at ML 12; high + Holy/Holy Burst of Greater Bane with the appropriate metal type to bypass DR, as examples), but the best named weapons beat out all competition due to enhanced damage and crit profiles. This isn't terrible, per se, as I think named loot should be better, but it means that anyone with one or two or three high quality named weapons probably has little or no reason to bother with lootgen weapons, making everything vendor trash.
    4. Similar to the above, even level 28 lootgen cannot compete with some much earlier weapons, such as the Triple Positive greensteel variation for dealing with undead. The bundled affixes we got with MotU (multiple effects bundled into a single prefix or suffix) helps to address #3 and #4 a bit, but those have disappeared from loot tables entirely, and were still largely insufficient (though someone without the really good named items could find some pretty decent random stuff).
    5. Affixes that come with a high enhancement modifier, but add little power to a character that lower the overall quality of the item by eaiting of "build points" result in a lot of items being complete junk. If you have Deathblock VI or whatever on a piece of equipment with an otherwise useful suffix, the thing will likely be junk, due to that other effect being kind of low for its level, probably, thanks to the unnecessarily high Deathblock enhancement value. +2 stat items on level 20+ loot are basically useless, and only get worn if the other effect on the item is amazing, needed for the character, and if the player hasn't been able to find a better item
    - What weapon and equipment types do you feel are underserved in named and in random loot?
    1. Exotic weapons are definitely underserved in named loot (dwarven axes, khopeshes...bastard swords to a lesser degree).
    2. A lot of effects from greensteel crafting (5 years old now, and ML 12) have not really been replicated on higher level equipment, leaving a lot of people still slotting greensteel items at cap. Things like Elemental Energy and Spell Power, exceptional skills bonuses, exceptional saves, Concordant Opposition... It would be nice to see these showing up on random loot to some degree, but especially to see some high-level named replacements (that means some named items should have +45 total HP, or +150 total SP, and +4 or +6 exceptional skills).
    3. Self-healing. Vampirism is pretty decent for a big chunk of the game, but doesn't appear on enough loot, and 1d3 HP is fairly insignificant in high level content where you're getting hit for 100-300 damage a swing even with a fair amount of healing amp. Bodyfeeder and Lifeshield are in the same boat. I don't know where the right balance lies, but it would be good to see these gain higher-level equivalents so that they might be used into epic elite quests.

Healing is a major issue in the game at the moment (it has been for a long time, but epic elite and increased soloability for a lot of characters has served to further emphasize it), or rather the lack thereof for some characters. Right now, barbarians are in great disfavor, because their only reliable ways to heal themselves through even moderately challenging combats are to use Silver Flame Potions, which are overly punitive (requires a lot of favor spread across several packs, expensive, only stack up to 10, and have a tremendous penalty when used) and are lagging behind other, common sources of healing for basically any other character not restricted in their options by Rage, or to splash a few levels of cleric for the ability to heal with special attack abilities. The game has long since moved on from the restriction of potions to level 3 and lower spells; the DDO Store has some better healing options, but that's kind of a ****** way to skew the game--you can only really play this or that character effectively by spending TP, while everyone else is spending plat, or investing in class/race/destiny abilities. Give us a vendor or turn-in for the better store-bought potions, and leave the store versions as emergency purchases for when someone runs out mid-quest.

- I’d love to hear about some of the non-named loot your character’s are currently wearing.
    • Wis +10 of Resistance +10 cloak on my monkcher.
    • Looking for a +10 or +11 Int item of <something useful> for my rogue in a slot that doesn't compete with named necessities.
    • Deadly of<something useful> items on my monkcher, rogue, and monk (eventually also on my barbarian and paladin if they can fit them).
    • Necromancy Focus IV scepter of <some junk> on my Pale Master.
    • Festival Icy Burst Cursespewing, Vicious, or Shock weapon of Greater Elemental Bane (most are +3 to +5, and weapon type is based on the class...the Vicious one is on a greataxe for my barbarian, and a greatsword for my paladin, while my rogue has a pair of daggers).
    • Ghost Touch of Disruption.
    • Whatever of Smiting.
    • Parrying VIII Bracers of Healing Amp 30% or 20% depending on what other items they're wearing.

(In the future, I’m planning some similar question sessions about named loot and named loot systems, BTW.)
    Trying to resist dropping a long post about named loot here in anticipation of those queries.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

Welcome Doc

1) Named loot needs to be better than random loot.
    2) Less random loot of higher average quality would be nice. Having to wade through endless piles of junk for the very off chance of a good item is just annoying.
    3) Healing Amp needs to return to random loot as well as named loot. Removing that effect was highly annoying.
    4) Make the naming such that searching for a particular effect is much easier. It should be possible to search for items with Wonderous Craftmanship for example. Without that ability its just too much of a pain to search the AH.
    5) +4 tomes need to return to the random drop tables.

Mostly I am looking forward to the name item revamp. Thats where the truly interesting options are.

I really do not udnerstand the claim for epic shroud. I cannot stand this quest except I want to have greensteel. If there is no improvement or difference in the optic and *just* an immense lvl. 30 challenge I gladly skip that raid.

If epic shroud then:

new voice overs

new looks/enemies/mechanics

new greensteel though the current greensteel was probably the best crafting system you ever invented. And the most useful from lvl. 12 till current 28 in some cases.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

- Aside from the diversity issue, what are the biggest problems with random loot, today?
    • would like to see items with just a prefix or suffix drop more often 5%-10% of the time, maybe even without +s on occasion as well
    • in general cursed items are not worth it
    • balance in what drops there are some things that are just out of whack for how often they show up (see, I didn't say gho..... )
      • this also applies to things that almost never show up - deathblock on higher level stuff (but I have >9000 level 2 items with it)

- What weapon and equipment types do you feel are underserved in named and in random loot?
    • most things that are feat / enhancement related - if I thought this would be good its usually built into the character anyway

- I’d love to hear about some of the non-named loot your character’s are currently wearing.
    • items
      • usually highest + stat item when ML is important
      • Highest + stat item with something else useful (speed, dodge, deathblock, deadly, resistance)

• weapons
      • usually those with the most add on damage effects
      • or with special things like banishing, smiting, DR breaking .... etc.

Welcome Dr. Loot! ... You are desperately needed

- Aside from the diversity issue, what are the biggest problems with random loot, today?

Aside from diversity (which is the biggest issue):

.) Weapons:
    The things that most people look for when it comes to weapons are increased base threat range, crit multiplier and base die size - all these things can only be found on named loot - which is imo not all that bad, but automatically makes most random lootgen stuff unattractive. Years ago this was compensated by random loot weapons often being very useful in certain situations (like holy burst silver threaded handwraps for devils or icy burst of greater dragon bane for velah, bodyfeeder on high crit range weapons for situations where survivability is more important than dps, ...) Unfortunately through lots of changes in the game mechanics most of these things are pretty poor compared to named loot AND most of the useful prefixes/suffixes no longer drop anyways (though we all have plenty of undead beaters now for sure lol).

If you REALLY want to make random loot weapons attractive, IMO the best thing would be to reintroduce niche effects - like banes only affecting a small range of foes, BUT being super effective versus them. Also debuffing weapons would be great - can remember times where people actually brought destruction/improved destruction/cursespewing weapons to help debuffing raid bosses, because else it was a lot more difficult -> give similar things again (and ofc the need to use such things - which is a game design issue and has nothing to do with the loot) - apart from these things I don't see much hope in making random loot weapons actually desirable except by making them more powerful than named ones ... and THAT would be completely wrong unless those specific random weapons were as rare as wop-rapiers during the time they were actually really powerful.

Also: Looking end reward lists and the like: It totally sucks that you have to mouse-over every single item to see what its actually capable of. I mean seriously move the tiers of effects in the header (Acid VI Greataxe of Ghostbane IV not Acid Greataxe of Ghostbane -.-). Another issue I have with random loot: Prefix and suffix seem to always be of nearly the same power. This totally limits possible effects! Why can't I have a Deadly XX Necklace ML 28? ... instead currently I get some useless suffix which just kills the desired attributes power (because both add to ML, and that one is currently capped at 28) - or to move away from possible OP stuff like Deadly XX ... what about Deadly XI with green and colorless slot? ... atm: not possible because Accuracy, Protection, Resistance of Natural Armor is ofc of tier X on any Deadly XI item - leaving no space for a slot because of ML restrictions.
    Which brings me to:

.) Equipment:
    Also totally boring atm, apart from deadly, resistance and stat-bonuses there really isn't much to look after. Allowing higher differences between the power of the prefix and suffix to either allow more powerful enchantments or combine powerful enchantments with slots could definitely help!
    Lastly:

.) Crafting:
    Lets face it: Random loot has actually been useless for quite a long time. BUT for some time it was in great demand again, which was when Cannith Crafting was introduced. Unfortunately Cannith crafted items are now so far behind in power that apart from twink gear for TRing they are pretty much useless. Make crafting useful again -> people will happily gather random loot again - even if it is just deconstruct it

Named loot:
    .) Picks: come on deathnip is really getting old now lol
    .) Shurikens: Ok, we got Morningstar now and also Snowstar ... but 2 useful named Shuriken in the whole game is still pretty lame (Shadowstars usefulness is very limited so not counted ;p)
    .) Great Crossbow: Well this weapon is overall rly bad - BUT since rogue mechanics got extra enhancements to buff this weird weapon - where is the awesome named great xbow that offsets all the other disadvantages this combatstyle has?
    .) Kukris: Yeah Midnight Greetings is cool and stuff - but also pretty old and DPS-wise already far behind newer weapons, yet rogue assassins get special bonuses to daggers AND kukris ...
    .) Shortbows: Why are named bows recently always longbows?

Apart from that ... just quoting the weapon types with the least actual named weapons ingame from the DDO wiki (not counting gs, cormyrian, moldy, ember and alchemicals):
    .) Light Pick: NONE
    .) Throwing Hammers: NONE
    .) Dart: 1 (ML8)
    .) Great Crossbow: 1 (ML1)
    .) Handaxe: 1 (ML14)
    .) Light Hammer: 1 (ML16)
    .) Throwing Axe: 2 (ML6 & ML10)
    .) Heavy Crossbow: 3 (ML4, ML12 & ML20)
    .) Light Crossbow: 3 (ML2, ML4 & ML8)
    .) Shortbow: 3 (ML4, ML10 & ML20)
    .) Shuriken: 3 (ML2, ML8 & ML14-27)
    .) Throwing Dagger: 3 (ML4, ML6 & ML20)
    .) Heavy Picks: 4 (ML6, ML8, ML10 & ML14)
    .) Light Mace: 4 (ML2, ML10, ML21 & ML12-25)
    .) Kama: 5 (ML2, ML8, ML12, ML18 & ML15-24)
    .) Repeating Light Crossbow: 5 (ML4, ML16, ML20, ML21 & ML23)

Currently:
    On Myriellah (my main):
    Deadly VIII Goggles of Natural Armor +6 with yellow slot: Dexterity +6
    ~ soonish: ~
    Deadly X Spectacles of Wizardry X
    Dexterous +10 Belt of Dodge 10%
    Greater Convalescent Bracers of Parrying VIII

On Mayeena (lvl 23):
    Clever +8 Goggles of Natural Armor +6
    Wisdom +6 Hat of Natural Armor +8
    Fortified 110% Belt of False Life +30
    Deadly VII Ring of Wizardry VII
    ~ just until I can reequip my upgraded Cloak of Night: ~
    Cloak of Protection +5

On Ryaleen (TRing @lvl 18):
    Ring of Greater False Life

On Xryn (TRing @lvl 14):
    Belt of Improved False Life
    Feather Falling Boots
    +3 Thaumaturgic Quaterstaff of Kinetic Lore IV (Potency +48, Impulse +72, Nullification +72)
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Community Member

Greetings! I hope we don't scare you off!

Currently? The diversity issue is the biggest problem with random loot. After that, I would diversity again, but not in the weapon properties. Diversity in the weapon types that actually drop. If you go to Magic Weapons, you'll find the tables used to determine magic item types and base weapon type. Weapons are divided into three categories: 01-70 Common, 71-80 Uncommon, 81-100 Uncommon Ranged.
    This is the Common Weapon Table:
    01-04 Dagger
    05-14 Greataxe
    15-24 Greatsword
    25-28 Kama
    29-41 Longsword
    42-45 Mace, light
    46-50 Mace, heavy
    51-54 Nunchaku
    55-57 Quarterstaff
    58-61 Rapier
    62-66 Scimitar
    67-70 Shortspear
    71-74 Siangham
    75-84 Sword, bastard
    85-89 Sword, short
    90-100 Waraxe, dwarven

Now, the first problem is that some of these are not even available and they should be. The second problem is to my perception, the actual drops are nothing like what these numbers indicate they should be.

The next problem, at least with random (and named) weapons, is the nerfing of effects. For example, VORPAL. This is how a vorpal weapon should work:
    This potent and feared ability allows the weapon to sever the heads of those it strikes. Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the weapon severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body. Some creatures, such as many aberrations and all oozes, have no heads. Others, such as golems and undead creatures other than vampires, are not affected by the loss of their heads. Most other creatures, however, die when their heads are cut off. A vorpal weapon must be a slashing weapon. (If you roll this property randomly for an inappropriate weapon, reroll.)

Strong necromancy and transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, circle of death, keen edge; Price +5 bonus.
    Note there is nothing in there about a hit point threshold, or deathward. It doesn't matter how many Hit Point the creature has. Roll 20, confirm, check if applicable creature type, dead. Now if you want to add an insta-kill effect to other weapons, fine. But at least rename them. Skullcrushing, Heart-rending, whatever. But fix the actual property so that it works like it is supposed to. Too powerful? I accept that. Immediately change all existing and future vorpalish weapon to BtCoE or BtCoA. At the same time, fix weapons such as SMITING and DISRUPTION. Within the same binding guidelines if necessary.

The next problem is RIPOSTE. This effect, since the complete nerfing of Armor Class, is effectively useless. If you're going to keep it, it needs some kind of revision to make it more useful.

For non-weapon items, the biggest problem is that the formatting is pointless. Get rid of the prefix/suffix divide. Maybe someone will get lucky and score a Minute Seeing +15 Goggles of the Eagle +15. There is no good reason this isnt' available, except that maybe it limits future named items. In which case, design better named items.

Next is appearance. Face it: 99% of the armor in this game is ugly as sin, and a whole bunch of it doesn't even resemble armor. A lot of the weapons are stupid looking too. The artists need to crack open some books on actual arms and armor, and then make stuff look like that!

There are other issues, but no need to overwhelm on first post, right?

There are NO types that are undeserved. In fact, I wish you'd bring back some, like HIDE ARMOR, and the other pointlessly removed armor types. I wish you'd introduce the missing weapon types. I want my double bladed weapons and mercurial great swords. I would greatly reduce the proliferation of Deadly and Accuracy effects. All they do is add to the power creep and they are freakishly common.

And I'd love to tell you about some if it. But I have 22 characters on Ghallanda, and I couldn't tell you what random gear any of them are wearing, because it's all filler gear until they can use their named gear. Otherwise, they are using utilitarian crafted gear.

Community Member stoopid_cowboy's Avatar

I may be the only person that thinks this, but I want to "Undo" the Vorpal nerf!

Remember what Vorpal and banishing and smiting were like before the nerf? A vorpal weapon flat killed a monster on a 20. Period! There were a number of people that crunched the numbers to compare Vorpal vs. named weapon damage (i.e. LitII) to compare. In EVERY number situation, Vorpal LOST! So, why was it nerfed so hard? I mean come on. Currently a monster has to be less than 1,000hp to be instakilled. Big stinking deal! Considering most Epic monster have many many thousands of hitpoints, this needs changed! That is just rolling a crit on a barb without adrenaline! Vorpal threshold needs to be removed!
    Back to smiting and banishing. Again, 1,000hp threshold. LAME! Banishing and Smiting USED to proc on a crit. Were these abilities that overpowered that they needed to be changed to a Vorpal (roll of a 20) proc? Honestly, when is the last time anyone was Shroud flagging and said "wait, let me get my banishers out of the bank"? When was the last time ANYONE took a smiting weapon into House C quests?

There were some really good situational weapons in game that got nerfed into oblivion. Those need to return with a vengeance! I would like to pull a +4 Holy Adamantine of Smiting weapon and be excited that there is a place in game that it would be awesome! Is it overpowered? Hell no! Could it be an absolute blast to use in LoB? Hell yeah! Same could be said for a +3 Banishing Flametouched Iron of Elemental bane weapon. Overpowered by itself? Nope! But I would sure use it when the ele's started spawning.

Maybe we don't necessarily need new stuff. Maybe just think about resurrecting the the weapons that got trivialized for no reason. Vorpal, Banishing, Smiting, Nightmare to name a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I guess pants can be optional

Default A Long-time Grievance

For as long as I've played DDO, and probably for as long as the game has been active, I (and others) have wanted to see some of the iconic weapons from Dungeons & Dragons, but probably the most desired of these has been the Holy Avenger. For years we clamored for one to show up in the game, and finally, we got it with the introduction of the Divine Vengeance that was added to the side chests in A Vision of Destruction on hard and elite.

And it was supremely disappointing! It's an ML 18 weapon that is both outclassed by many weapons of lower ML (including several permutations of greensteel), and totally superseded by most ML 20 epic weapons. That's incredibly unsatisfying!

I had been bending the ear of one of the old loot honchos, but, alas, they're gone from the game. Still, I'd really like to see either that weapon get upgraded, gain the ability to become upgraded, or to just have an all new version added to the game.

I'd written a thread with suggestions for such a artifact 2 years ago here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...geance+paladin

That doesn't quite stand up to modern loot design, but it's not too poor as a starting place.

Please? PLEASE? PLEASE?! Can we get a real, significant, cool Holy Avenger in the game for high level paladins? Something in the 24-28 (or 30) range that is the best-in-slot weapon for paladins against certain enemies (evil, or evil and chaotic)? Please?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

1. More Augments - I get tons of loot with augment slots and find very few augments to put in them (and turn-in rates at collectors are rather high in many cases). I don't think I've ever found a blue augment in a chest. So more augments of every color falling in random loot chests would be appreciated. Augment slots should be searchable too.

2. Roman Numerals - I don't think they're bad per se, but they should be in addition to a descriptive word, not instead of one. And that word should be in the title (with or without the roman numeral) so they're searchable. The good thing about them is they do make it easier to see the power of an item at a glance (well a hover/tool-tip glance anyway). The bad thing, as others have pointed out, is they're not searchable. So if each level had its own unique name (e.g., Burning, Fiery, Inferno, etc.) and then you kept the roman numerals internally in the description (this is a Flaming IV weapon), that would be perfect.

3. Named Loot Bonus - any effect that's on named loot should have a bonus multiplier, similar to the multipliers added to high level weapon damage (x1.5, x2, etc.), but not just on damage, on almost every effect. That would help to immediately re-balance named loot against the random gen loot and keep it from being eclipsed.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Default random loot is misunderstood

I dig a well done random loot system (see Diablo/2/3). That said the random needs to be well done... the "max roll" items where every affix is the best possible roll; need to be rare and they need to knock your socks off and make you grin ear to ear when you pull one. They also need to not litter the auction house to the point where people are vendering them In fact they probably need to have a 50% chance to be bound to account.

As someone with decades of gaming, DM'ing D&D and playing RPG's I can appreciate the purpose and reason behind randomized loot the same way I can for randomized pathways/layouts and monsters affixes (Diablo) in quests. Unfortunately a lot of players here don't seem too experienced with why randomized is good for long term replay value. I guess they've never played a Rogue-like or much outside of MMO's and so have formed the expectation that RPG loot is supposed to be something you meta game. Static non variable and when you get the item you want you no longer ever play that quest.

There's the problem of course, static loot puts an expiration date on every quest you guys make. Look at any quest in DDO that is no longer run by anyone and I'll show you static loot that no one wants and mediocre to poor XP.

A lot of players are saying they don't want random loot to matter, and they only want static loot to be important or worth looking at. This is an impossibly narrow minded viewpoint.

They're saying they want to know what the quest might give them before they run it. If they don't know they aren't interested. if there are any unknowns they aren't interested.

Now the inescapable conclusion is either everyone wants to have no SURPRISE no SUSPENSE no "Discovery" which i find really hard to believe or....

Most players don't actually know whats best for their own long term enjoyment of the game.

PS: Cannith crafting = moar
    Last edited by IronClan; 11-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Happy Friday, everyone. I’d like to introduce myself as a bit of a new dev face on the forums. First, it’s about time I quit lurking, and second, I’m putting on an additional hat on the DDO team. What hat is that? In a word: loot. I’m here to listen to you and to keep my eyes on the big picture. Yes, that includes avoiding Ghostbane-situations.

So in the name of listening rather than blathering on and on, I’d like to ask you all a few questions as a sort of pulse-check on the state of loot. Go on and fill up the thread – I’ll check back in after the weekend (and a bit today, as schedule permits), with head-nods, follow-up questions, and answers where necessary.

(In the future, I’m planning some similar question sessions about named loot and named loot systems, BTW.)
    Random loot being way better then Named loot of similar level. New lower level loot being better then older higher level loot (ie Giant's Fist, min level 17 being better then Drow Maul of combat mastery, min level 21)
    Deadly should not exist on random loot. Niche weapons have disappeared. Banes, Everbright, Smiters, etc

Mauls, morning stars and Kukris, a severe lack of these types of weapons in named loot and decent random loot.

Deadly, although it should not exist in my opinion on random loot, all my character wear it because it is so powerful, too powerful. Several stat +10 items on most of my characters.
    Last edited by Bolo_Grubb; 11-15-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Default Random loot....don't forget it

I may be the only one to say this but....as a serious casual gamer and some one who spends a fair chunk of change on this game I want my opinions heard. I represent those players who love the game, will spend money on the game but don't have a ton of play tome or play in off peak Horus when groups are hard to come by .

I want ant yo say random loot should be almost as good as named and crafted loot. Almost but not as. I love call the named prefixes such as suns fury before they disappeared. Bring those back and others and don't nerd random loot to oblivion. It's good for those of us who don't have the time or the abilities to raid shroud or do the challenges

Greater convalecent bracers of parrying <3
    Give us those back and you'll probably see a parade in your honor

What I like with random loot:
    • The change from race restricted to wondrous/masterfulcraftsmanship got rid of some UMD lag and adds some further rarity/want of random loot.
    • Scaling a bunch of properties so they are useful at higher levels makes sense.

What feels a bit tarnished with recent random loot changes:
    • Most of my preShadowfell named and even raid items are weak for some properties compared to random loot. The EE Dream Visor dying the worst death. It just feels like (in particular) attribute bonuses (previously +8 @ L25 raid items, moved to +11 on random items (wondrous L28's)), DC bonuses +3 was "epic DC bonus" now compared with +5's in randoms and then the Deadly, Accuracy, Resist, Natural Armor all going as high as +11(12?) on random items really shamed L25 named items from before that point. I was okay with the scaling but somehow the addition of only 3 levels gave up to a 40% bump to certain scaling with no means to upgrade current tough fought over items. I mean it's good to have new items to get, but on day 1 for the items where a random scaled property existed, it beat out all my named items with that property by a large margin.
    • A lot of previously existing random loot properties are missing.
    • The crafting system is still stuck in heroic and should adopt all the new random item properties once you're settled on those properties.

After a few months with the new random property set, I'm not terribly sad that there's useful random items to try and find. I'm just moreso sad there's now some completely worthless named items (Dream Visor, any preShadowfell named item with a casting DC on it), etc.

Also... outside of the random items system... the recent named items have been mostly "meh". Maybe 1 or 2 okay ones. I know devs are trying to restrict total number of properties per item after they discovered some general lag comes from all our item properties... but especially weapon wise... there's nothing to even slightly consider replacing CitW weapons... especially now that everyone has at least 2 CitW weapons.
    Last edited by Gratch; 11-15-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Problems with random loot

Even when I find something that would be beneficial I often don't bother with it.
    Someone described gearing as playing Tetris, juggling items around to get everything to fit.
    Once you have the gear Tetris-ed, attempting to using the random loot is like playing Jenga.
    You might have to re-gear a lot of other items to use one new item.

I wouldn't bother with most random loot if a few items were added or improved in Cannith crafting.
    Ability Stats, Natural Armor, Protection, Resistance, Striding being scaled up to match the new random items would help.
    Adding Blurry to Cannith crafting would make playing the Tetris/Jenga game a whole lot easier.

I've got a lot of nice gear, someday I may even spend hours figuring out how to equip that gear.

The simple workaround for gearing might be allowing toons another gear option.
    Magical earrings?

Some random combinations make no sense to me.
    Clever of the Eagle - is junk IMO, but Clever of Minute Seeing or Wise of the Eagle are golden.
    ...and a dwarven war axe of dwarf bane is just plain funny.

Basically none of the random loot is much fun.
    Maybe if some of the random gear worked like a Potion of Wonder it would be more fun.
    Cursed appearance items would be more fun than cursed ability stats.
    Or a random generated item that looked at what you are wearing and then automatically turned itself into something useful, that would be pretty sweet.
    Maybe a stone of change for random loot? Put 10 random items in and it transmogrifies them into an item beneficial to the toon.

Underserved types
    Bewildering - I would love to find a Bewildering Paralyzing heavy repeater with a red augment slot.
    Ethereal
    Freedom of Movement

Non-named loot in use
    I use three yellow and colorless augment items and Cannith crafting to have all elemental resistances and ability stats.
    Example: Crafted Wise helmet of acid resistance, slotted with constitution and fire resistance.

Level Requirements still too high for certain statics and abilities on the items. Augments suffer the same problem, they should lower each by two levels. Armors from Eveningstar challenges are very underwhelming and need additional boosts to its random lottery. I think they should create items with lower level requirements that aid in those reincarnated, perhaps a buff if have a past life or lower requirement if had a past life class or race.

Quivers, Throwing weapons, Docents, Epic-level Rapiers, and better variety of repeating xbows

- +1 Flaming light xbow of laceration
    I love you Abbot♥

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Disclaimer: cut and pasted from a previous thread of mine...

Random loot should provide meaningful choices for gearing characters, should be easily identified at a glance, should include some superior combinations for the gambling factor, should be not quite as good as named loot of equivalent minimum level, and should resemble something an enchanter would conceivably spend the time and effort to create.

1. Populate random item names directly from the item descriptions or item effects. Not all that long ago, someone had the brilliant idea to update items with abilities such as seeker and stunning to include the magnitude of the enchantment in the item name, i.e., a Seeker Mace of Stunning became a Seeker +2 Mace of Stunning +10. The new random abilities reverted to the outdated naming convention for some reason. My assumption is that this is an easy fix.
    2. Put the old abilities back into the loot tables. Flaming Burst, Lacerating, Riptide et al are sorely missed. Flaming II might be objectively marginally better than flaming burst, but flaming burst is way cooler and provides a meaningful gear choice. (Do I take the cool effect over the marginally better vanilla effect? Are burst effects actually better based on my build/weapon type? Ect.)
    3. Make abilities like burst effects and riptide solely the province of named items. For example, if a random level 2 weapon would have flaming or frost, a named level 2 weapon would have flaming burst or riptide. If a random level 10 weapon would have greater humanoid bane, a named level 10 weapon would have mauling.

Named armor is vastly superior to random armor because most named armors include multiple armor prefixes/suffixes and/or unique abilities. Invulnerability and life-shield are about the only useful abilities on random armor, and past levels where invulnerability is useful ALL random armors are vendor trash. Other useful abilities like deathblock or energy absorption are better gotten on accessories than on armor. Random armor should be only slightly worse than equivalent minimum level named armors, and should be either objectively better than equivalent level accessories or not compete with accessories at all.

1. Much like D&D Next has combined feat groups into single feats to make them more appealing, combine similar armor abilities into more powerful single enchantments. For example, combine the retributive (horrible name, by the way) abilities with their respective resistances and absorptions as in spells like fire shield. A Fire Protection III armor that combines Greater Fire Resistance, Fire Absorption 20%, and Fire Guard 3d6 is infinitely more appealing than any of its individual enchantments by themselves. Other combinations might include Vigilant (protection and fortification), Repelling (spell resistance and resistance bonus), and Gossamer (shadow, silent moves, and mobile).
    2. Reintroduce special materials.

I think the only random loot my character is currently wearing is a ring with Dodge 6% on it, simply because there isn't a named source and miss chance is so critical at high levels. It should be noted that I'm currently on a FvS life. If I were playing a melee character, I'd most certainly have the best Deadly item I could find.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Default re: cannith crafting

We need enhancement bonuses above +5 (+6 to +10)
    Potential increase from the current 15 item potential up to 21 (Tier 2 Epic enhancement level)
    Add all the new Keen types including IV
    Add the new deception
    Add Lore V, VI, VII, VIII and IX
    Add Spell power 84, 90, 114 and 120
    Add Stats +7 +8 +9 and +10

If you want to keep the top level bonuses for non crafted loot (+11 stats, Lore X, Spell power 134+ ) fine but at least make Cannith crafting semi relevant as a way to make second tier gear until you find better. Or for those rare flavor builds (I have a Wiz that uses crafted throwing daggers, red augments (slotted with spell power) and crafted lore (currently restricted to lore V or 15%) a combo that no matter how useful and flavorful is going to be pretty gimpy past 20th level.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Default hmmmm.

My answers as follows:

Odd properties like cold iron, riposte, destruction and such. My favorite weapon in game is the Cannith Elemental Greataxe of Fire you craft from the Cannith Challenges. It has Metalline as the type and then has great features like Magma Surge, Greater Incineration, Flaming Burst, Brilliance, Greater Fire Resit, Colorless and red augment spots.

I am not saying that random loot should be like that axe but should follow a similar pattern of choices and relatable effects. For instance I would love to have more Named Dwarven Axes with similar effects to the Cannith Greataxe of fire.

Not many named Dwarven Axes in DDO and that should change. If you are not willing to add more named Dwarven Axes then at least have some random loot spawn some nice ones.

Destruction, Cursespewing, Underwater action on weapons, Riposte, Byeshk, Vicious, Strength Sapping, Bone Breaking, Shatter, Parrying, Shattermantle, Fearsome.

- I’d love to hear about some of the non-named loot your characters are currently wearing.

Just deadly items, Protection with dex, Wisdom with natural armor bonus, not much random loot really, I wear named items and the cannith challenge gear mostly. I have an Eveningstar lvl 20 crafted Dwarven axe that has Improved Paralization, magma surge, and Icy burst on it which I enjoy using. Trying to get lucky again with that random eveningstar crafting which isn’t all that fun.

1) Named items should be better than random loot at the same levels.

2)
    - Some effects and their DC's are not really scaling all the way into Epics (Paralyzing, Freezing Ice, Righteousness,...) or not showing up (Banishing)
    - All the nice high-level weapon effects like Obscuring are not dropping anymore
    - Too few Throwing Weapons drop in random loot. Especially shuriken could drop a lot more. I so far i have never seen a random throwing weapon drop with things like Improved Vorpal, Improved Smiting, Improved Disruption or Improved Banishing and even the base enchantments (Vorpal, Disruption,...) almost never drop on them. Metalline is never seen either on throwers and most times it is even hard to find one which breaks DR/good
    - Riposte and augment slots on Bracers are not dropping

3) I use a lot of random items with +9 or +10 attributes, deadly, accuracy, resistance and dodge. I would use a random Parrying or Riposte VIII or better (non-weapon) item if they would drop with other nice stats or augments on random loot. A high-tier Deception item would be nice too but i cannot fit that into most of my gear distributions.
    Last edited by Firewall; 11-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Shuricannon 2.0 Drow 20 Monk Thrower for DPS, Nethercannon Shadar-Kai 15 Pal/3 Monk/2 Rog Thrower for Past Lifes
    Shiradi Shuricannon Drow 20 Monk Thrower for Defense, Shiradi Warcannon Warforged 11 Wiz/6 Monk/3 Rog Thrower...Throwers for the win

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast