Default Has anyone really messed with grenades and traps?

I keep coming back to (for one of my 2nd string toons) a silly non-monk thrower, possibly with some patterning after the Evil Mad Bomber What Bombs at Midnight. I have these characters I run usually paired with a more casual friend - it'd be an arti/rogue mix.

Anyway, I've never messed either with grenades or traps, other than make/use some noisemakers. I'm probably sitting on multiple bags full of trap parts across several characters they've accumulated across a fair few lives pulling trap duty. I'm also pretty rich with crafting essences, and I think I'm sitting on a couple thousand vials of Seafog and Jolly Roger Bombs. I've made a few runestone things, but I really don't use them.

First, anyone mess with grenades/traps/etc. at all?

Second, beyond the specific enhancements does anything else boost their DCs? Arti levels give the CL boost? Wizard past lives? Wand/scroll mastery?

Someone, I'm sure, has played with these (and probably reached the conclusion they suck) but I'd like to hear more about how the work in a practical sense.

Again, 2nd tier character. Probably will have a past life or two, but not one of my "main" characters (U20 has restricted that list to a pretty small number).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Hiya from Sarlona...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I keep coming back to (for one of my 2nd string toons) a silly non-monk thrower, possibly with some patterning after the Evil Mad Bomber What Bombs at Midnight. I have these characters I run usually paired with a more casual friend - it'd be an arti/rogue mix.

Anyway, I've never messed either with grenades or traps, other than make/use some noisemakers. I'm probably sitting on multiple bags full of trap parts across several characters they've accumulated across a fair few lives pulling trap duty. I'm also pretty rich with crafting essences, and I think I'm sitting on a couple thousand vials of Seafog and Jolly Roger Bombs. I've made a few runestone things, but I really don't use them.

First, anyone mess with grenades/traps/etc. at all?

Second, beyond the specific enhancements does anything else boost their DCs? Arti levels give the CL boost? Wizard past lives? Wand/scroll mastery?

Someone, I'm sure, has played with these (and probably reached the conclusion they suck) but I'd like to hear more about how the work in a practical sense.

Again, 2nd tier character. Probably will have a past life or two, but not one of my "main" characters (U20 has restricted that list to a pretty small number).
    If you're on Sarlona I will take any trap parts you don't want. Some traps are a bust (maybe DCs too low), but there are a few great ones. My favorite traps are the deadly fire traps.

You can put down multiple traps, but there is a cool down between traps. Most pugs are just too impatient in general for them to wait for you to lay a bunch of traps.

For fun make about 10 deadly fire traps and put them on your hot bar. Run PoP in GH. When you get to the cold room put down your traps (I like to make a circle with them) where the baddies spawn. Then trigger the room and watch them get vaporized by the traps : ) )

I haven't tried the bombs before, but I do have lots of sea fogs.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Well the traps/grenades are actually not bad especially if you go mech the main issue is that getting enough trap parts and other ingredients (soul gems are a giant PITA) to actually use them on a regular basis.

On the other hand with the dawn of U19 Mech actually got a bunch of cool abilities that are just cooldown based and their REALLY fun.

I also figured I'd work it as a Halfling Thrower build (if I'm gonna go gimp may as well go all the way :P)

Anyways I was originally making it a Single-Class Rogue but the Core 6 DWS ability is just WAY too awesome not to take (free 4 sec bluff every 6 sec) and honestly since it's Int-Based the DCs don't suffer too much.

Updated Build

Code:
    True Neutral Halfling Rogue14/Ranger6 (Mech/DWS)

Str 6
    Dex 18 (+3 tome by level 21)
    Con 12
    Int 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Wis 10
    Cha 8

Skills: UMD, Search, DD, Spot, Hide, MS,Diplomacy,Balance,OL, Haggle, Jump,Tumble
    Non-Rogue Lvls: Max in above order any class skills, than cross class...use rogue levels to catch up skills in order.

Lvl Order: Rogue 1-6, Ranger 7-12, Rogue 13 - 20

Feats

1 PBS
    3 Quick Draw
    6 Precision
    Ra7 FE: Undead
    Ra8 Rapid Shot
    Ra9 Diehard
    9 DM of Healing
    Ra10 Precise Shot
    Ra11 FE: Construct
    Ra12 Manyshot
    12 Empowered Healing
    15 IPS
    Ro16 Improved Evasion (swap to opportunist at Lvl 25)
    18 IC: Ranged
    Ro19 Skill Mastery
    ED Shadowdancer w/ Shiradi twists or vise versa. (whirling wrist is HUGE!!)
    21 Epic Sneak Attack
    24 Combat Archery
    25 Epic Reflexes
    27 Blinding Speed
    28 Doubleshot
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 11-14-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I'm freaking rich with soulgems too - but according to Coldin's guide, you don't need them anymore (and haven't, for like 2 years ;-) ....)

I'm ok on the build-front - just curious which of the traps/grenades/runestones/***ever were useful.

I'm freaking rich with soulgems too - but according to Coldin's guide, you don't need them anymore (and haven't, for like 2 years ;-) ....)
    Honestly I havent actually made traps in a while...I only use them occasionally due to high cost for making traps maybe I'll run by the free agents
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I'll make some later (and more runestones). I suspect it will be amusing to level, but absolutely pointless in epics. That may be fine for leveling w/ a mostly-casual friend, but horrid later. Thankfully, the character i'm thinking about is 2nd string and is sitting on his +20 stone and 2 raider boxes for a rainy day if I ever try to make him "bettah".

I'll make some later (and more runestones). I suspect it will be amusing to level, but absolutely pointless in epics. That may be fine for leveling w/ a mostly-casual friend, but horrid later. Thankfully, the character i'm thinking about is 2nd string and is sitting on his +20 stone and 2 raider boxes for a rainy day if I ever try to make him "bettah".
    I've switched to almost exclusively playing with a few static groups who could care less how gimp our characters are...we just screw around so my Halfling Daggermaster/Trapmaster is a blast, it would be FAR less fun if I was pugging.

One place I found traps very useful is Colossal Crystals challenge, at appropriate level of course. Lay the traps along the path from the Progenitor Crystal to the teleporter. Usually there is enough time to do it, and when kobold picks up the giant crystal and mobs spawn along that path -- you get the idea.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

I've only used runestones, and I like them quite a bit, especially the ML 17 ones. They are great for heroic leveling and work well in elite quests. The petrify runestones on the acid trog shamans in Acid Wit work wonders, especially for soloing. I used them on my pally life and after seeing them work I'm gonna make a stash every life

I'm ok on the build-front
    Would you mind posting your build I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Would you mind posting your build I'm just curious.
    I'm looking at arti 2 / rogue 12 or 13 / ranger 5 or 6

The idea being to use some of the single-strike shots from DWS to make up for ranged DPS, and with the idea that if I decide to make something somewhat more playable, I can pick up a repeater (though I'm loathe to do so).