Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Sorc evocation fail

So here's been my experience with sorc evocation (air savant).

Sorc > Zap (say chain lightning)

EE Mobs > Evade... Evade... Evade...

Sorc > turn on Heighten, Maximize, Empower
    Sorc > ZAP

Sorc > ZAP

Sorc > ZAP

Sorc > "I think I will switch to Shiradi...."

That's been my experience on EE (EN and EH work a bit better of course).

Anyway, Let the Flaming Begin !
    -----------------------------------

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Stick with polar ray and horrid wilting.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by maximus123123123 View Post
    So here's been my experience with sorc evocation (air savant).

Sorc > Zap (say chain lightning)

Sorc > turn on Heighten, Maximize, Empower
    Sorc > ZAP

Sorc > ZAP

Sorc > ZAP

Sorc > "I think I will switch to Shiradi...."

That's been my experience on EE (EN and EH work a bit better of course).

Anyway, Let the Flaming Begin !
    -----------------------------------
    There isn't much info here, whats your DC, whats your twists and what are you trying to kill. This your log vs a shadakar assassin because a lot of EE mobs don't have evasion.

Community Member

My point is, has anyone actually been able to make an evocation sorc work? (i.e. evocation with draconic incarnation not shiradi.)
    Because I'm thinking it's impossible, at least if you intend to play Epic Elite at some point.

My point is, has anyone actually been able to make an evocation sorc work? (i.e. evocation with draconic incarnation not shiradi.)
    Because I'm thinking it's impossible, at least if you intend to play Epic Elite at some point.
    A lot of mobs don't actually have evasion. Even when they do, if you are properly set, you can get past it. For a lightning savant, the level 4 spell augmentation in draconic gives a 15% chance to reduce the reflex save by 10 of any target hit by your electric spells. Magister's level 3 school augmentation does the same thing, but for evocation spells. These stack with each other and proc per hit, not spell. So, a magic missile with the evo aug has ~50% chance to debuff a target per cast. If you build for saves, and use the two debuffs, you can land your spells on pretty much anything. It is just a whole lot easier to be a shiradi.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush007 View Post
    ...EE mobs don't have evasion.
    Many have evasion.
    Those that don't still get 50% off damage when they save and on EE they save a lot. Very expensive when you are trying to convert spell points into DPS.

Community Member

So twist magister tier 3 evocation augmention for 15% chance to apply -10 reflex saves. Lead with a no save evocation spell. Magic missle works great because just like shiradi it gets multiple times to proc, don't even max or empower. Fire this first on the reflex heavy mob, follow with the boom.

For groups use ice storm or chain missles. If your built correctly this will help.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    If you build for saves, and use the two debuffs, you can land your spells on pretty much anything. It is just a whole lot easier to be a shiradi.
    I want to hear from someone that claims they have a viable EE capable Draconic Incarnation toon that does not need to guzzle a bunch of mana pots.

I believe evo based sorcs using, e.g., Air Savant electric spells (not Shiradi evo mind you) is not viable end game for EE questing.

Community Member

I want to hear from someone that claims they have a viable EE capable Draconic Incarnation toon that does not need to guzzle a bunch of mana pots.

I believe evo based sorcs using, e.g., Air Savant electric spells (not Shiradi evo mind you) is not viable end game for EE questing.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Sigh.

Hero

Here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...in-DI-Flawless

Air Savant in DI WGU EE Solo.

His build:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-EE-DPS-Build

Community Member

So twist magister tier 3 evocation augmention for 15% chance to apply -10 reflex saves. Lead with a no save evocation spell. Magic missle works great because just like shiradi it gets multiple times to proc, don't even max or empower. Fire this first on the reflex heavy mob, follow with the boom.

For groups use ice storm or chain missles. If your built correctly this will help.
    You're talking about using magic missiles, chain missiles, ice storm...
    I'm talking about an Air Savant that wants to use her ELECTRIC SPELLS.
    It's not as though there aren't any...
    Why use everything else? Because an Air Savant that wants to use Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Ball Lightning, etc., is not viable. At least admit it...

OP, I feel your pain. I went electric for a while, realized everything and it's dog saved constantly (at least, it felt that way to me), and promptly respec'd into ice. Since then, I stick to ice/fire/acid and enjoy the ride a lot more. Electric just doesn't have those no-save options or persistant AOE's that make up the effective arsenal in my opinion.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

You're talking about using magic missiles, chain missiles, ice storm...
    I'm talking about an Air Savant that wants to use her ELECTRIC SPELLS.
    It's not as though there aren't any...
    Why use everything else? Because an Air Savant that wants to use Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Ball Lightning, etc., is not viable. At least admit it...
    Because there is a reason to use them? Magic missle, no save, multi hit to proc debuff. Its called more than 3 buttons and using your head. If you want to continue playing enlightened about your ability go shiradi like you want to so you don't have to think.

Air savant can be tough to run in epic elite. Largely because, until you get to epic elite, you can essentially spam your SLA Electric Loop, SLA Lightning Bolts, and toss in occasional Chain Lightnings to clear most mobs. That isn't nearly as effective in EE, often not even in EH.

As others have mentioned, you have to change up your play style a bit. Debuffing mobs is a pain, and it's slow, but it's effective.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Because there is a reason to use them? Magic missle, no save, multi hit to proc debuff. Its called more than 3 buttons and using your head. If you want to continue playing enlightened about your ability go shiradi like you want to so you don't have to think.
    When I play an Air Savant, I want to play with Electric Spells...That's the whole point.
    Air Savant is not viable on EE unless you do as you said, use spells other than Electric Spells, but then what's the point in that? Just go Shiradi and save yourself the trouble...

use enlarged shocking grasp no save

I think the op wants to know if you can achieve and maintain a great working dc with evocation spells without having to resort to debuffing everything first. At least that is what I'm understanding.

I just switched from ice to elec savant. In addition to the saves issue, the elec spells seem to have aiming issues. I seem to cast into the ground a lot. Maybe I just need more practice.

Of all sorcerer types, air savant requires the most work, as they are 99% dependent on evocation DC's for damage, and every lightning spell except 2 require the mob to make a reflex save. You need to go wizard-style with your DC's or you're never going to make it; that includes going non-warforged, as their penalty to charisma and lack of charisma enhancements is severely detrimental to what you need. Fire savants are in a slightly less restricting corner, but still require DC's for all but a couple of their spells. Earth and water savants can easily get away with lower DC's.

In a nutshell, air savant is a poor choice for a sorcerer if you plan on going into a lot of EE quests.

Community Member

When I play an Air Savant, I want to play with Electric Spells...That's the whole point.
    Air Savant is not viable on EE unless you do as you said, use spells other than Electric Spells, but then what's the point in that? Just go Shiradi and save yourself the trouble...
    Why limit yourself to only electric spells? What do you do vs electric immune mobs, resistant mobs? Addressing this will make you a better player if you open up your mind about the possibilities you possess. Right now its closed and nothing I can say will change that. Only you can accept change.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast