Default How to meta-game karma for a melee

Most of the powergamers complaining about "off-destinies" started this week with 6 million karma in divine, primal, and martial.

First epic TR, take the divine, resetting it back to zero... Then level back to 28 using Unyielding Sentinal for all the fairly easy quests, but alternating with your favorite ED for the harder quests. Saga exp spend on Unyielding Sentinal.

This way, you're not playing in a off-destiny you hate for 6 million exp straight...

At 28, shoot for 3 million karma Unyielding Sentinal... Then take a primal or martial ED past life, and repeat, spending half your time (while running stuff like your daily VON 3) in Unyielding Sentinal and the rest of the time in your favorite ED.

Much better than "grinding" out 6 million in divine 9 times in a row to "get it done".

Even better, go with 2 million in all three spheres each life, to really mix it up...

1st life: Use free 6 million divine
    2nd life: Build up 2 million in divine, 4 million in your favorite ED ("wasted" karma, but you're having fun)
    3rd life: Use free 6 million in your favorite ED - Build up 2 million in divine, 4 million in your favorite ED
    4th life: Use free 6 million in second-best ED - Build up 2 million in each sphere from now on
    5th life: Use the 6 million you saved in divine - Build up 2 million in each sphere from now on
    6th life: Use the 6 mllion you saved in your favorite ED - Build up 2 million in each sphere from now on

etc.

Don't kill yourself "grinding" out in one ED for multiple lives, and then wonder why you hate playing this game.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 11-14-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Most of the powergamers complaining about "off-destinies" started this week with 6 million karma in divine, primal, and martial.

First epic TR, take the divine, resetting it back to zero... Then level back to 28 using Unyielding Sentinal for all the fairly easy quests, but alternating with your favorite ED for the harder quests. Saga exp spend on Unyielding Sentinal.

This way, you're not playing in a off-destiny you hate for 6 million exp straight...

At 28, shoot for 3 million karma Unyielding Sentinal... Then take a primal or martial ED past life, and repeat, spending half your time (while running stuff like your daily VON 3) in Unyielding Sentinal and the rest of the time in your favorite ED.

Much better than "grinding" out 6 million in divine 9 times in a row to "get it done".

Even better, go with 2 million in all three spheres each life, to really mix it up...

1st life: Use free 6 million divine
    2nd life: Build up 2 million in divine, 4 million in your favorite ED ("wasted" karma, but you're having fun)
    3rd life: Use free 6 million in your favorite ED - Build up 2 million in divine, 4 million in your favorite ED
    4th life: Use free 6 million in second-best ED - Build up 2 million in each sphere from now on
    5th life: Use the 6 million you saved in divine - Build up 2 million in each sphere from now on
    6th life: Use the 6 mllion you saved in your favorite ED - Build up 2 million in each sphere from now on

etc.

Don't kill yourself "grinding" out in one ED for multiple lives, and then wonder why you hate playing this game.
    i have the same wrote down im my ddo book on my desk.
    i thought it was a good way of doing this to.

your friend sil

Default Me Also

I'm doing something similar on my monk, my destiny leveling pattern for the first several cycles is going to be:

Primal - Martial - Divine - Martial then back to Primal to repeat the pattern.

That gives me 3-4 lives over which to build back up my karma in each of the off destinies and lets me run in my Primary most of the time. After I have the first stance maxed in each of these, I'll deal with arcane by either reconfiguring my monk to run henshin + draconic for 3 epic past lives or TRing to a Shirardi Sorc for 3 epic past lives.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I prefer just dropping down to Epic Normal when in off destinies and not worrying about any of this.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

My solution is to not even bother with Arcane and Divine. The EPLs are not worth the bother for my melees and eventually when completionist comes out, it won't be worth the bother either.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    My solution is to not even bother with Arcane and Divine. The EPLs are not worth the bother for my melees and eventually when completionist comes out, it won't be worth the bother either.
    It's for the twist points.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

And what happens when you're all done?

Enjoy the journey. Don't worry so much about "hurrying". 'Cause you're hurrying to nothing.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post

Enjoy the journey. Don't worry so much about "hurrying". 'Cause you're hurrying to nothing.
    Agreed, while I have to say; I do want an endgame (like we used to have at 20) because after playing that endgame some I found it fun. (I wish they would revamp parts of it to level 28 so we have something to do for a couple years while they flesh out level 30 "end game") But that said:

Rushing the the end of an RPG makes as much sense as rushing to get to 100 years old in your real life. If the journey isn't fun, you're not going to find anything at the end of it that changes your mind.
    Last edited by IronClan; 11-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    Which are worthless without extra slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

LOLz . . . unless you're a one-toon-wonder you'll NEVER be done with this.

Good post. Thanks.

I was hoping for a raise in the karma cap to help with this sort of flexible ED/karma plan. Yours seems well constructed though.
    /sigh

LOLz . . . unless you're a one-toon-wonder you'll NEVER be done with this.
    It won't be long before someone figures out how to do it in less than 2 weeks. It's the nature of the beast; don't find the game challenging enough? Let's try gaming the game.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Which are worthless without extra slot.
    Vellrad man, go look at the wiki's twist chart to avoid making incorrect statements Currently there are 18 fate points possible with a +2 tome purchase makes 20.

This means that the absolute maximum possible twist combo's are:
    3, 2, 2
    3, 3, 1
    4, 2, 1

which require 18
    and
    4, 3, None
    which requires 19

After this many powerful twist combo's that are not possible currently will be possible.

(incidentally this is also why I always scoffed when Chai portrayed the tomes of fate as "pay to win"... as only the +1 fit his criteria and only if you were going for an oddball twist like 4, 3, none, and this clearly was the result of "works in progress" with at least two more ED's outstanding.)
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    OP was talking about karma xp and running in a single destiny in a sphere. Its not for fate points.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

It won't be long before someone figures out how to do it in less than 2 weeks. It's the nature of the beast; don't find the game challenging enough? Let's try gaming the game.
    Get 20 PLs in 2 weeks on the same toon? Without spending like $1500 on Otto's boxes?

It's not possible.

I have 6 toons above level 20, 4 of which I care about. Even at a 15 hour/per life pace - which is burn-out worthy - we're looking at years before all toons will be done.

Sure, a one-toon-wonder pay-2-loser could get it done faster . . . but that's not typical.

Even at a 15 hour/per life pace - which is burn-out worthy
    My point is, there's no reason to burn-out...

People talk about having to run in "gimped" unfun destinies for many lives, and being unable to run epic elite.

Just break it up... Don't run 6 million xp in one life in Divine... and then repeat that 9 times.

Run 2 million in Divine (when you're running lower-level Epic Elites and saga rewards), 2 million in a decent off-destiny for a challenge in the harder Epic Elites, and run 2 million in your primary ED when running the toughest content or during your weekly guild raid night.

Switch all the time... It won't be nearly as boring, and you'll enjoy the journey.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.