Default New Quest - A Study in Sable - Thumbs Up

So last nite, me and two guildies decided to give A Study in Sable a shot first time on Epic Elite. And YES that was against my better judgement. I am suffering for it this morning through a lack of sleep. Easily took us over 2 1/2 hours and was well after 1am before we completed.

One the positive, who only have one party wipe in the first few minutes on our first try. =)

So I have to say I thought this was a great quest. Very different than most of the other quests. It is a thinking quest, so if you don't really care for that you won't like this quest. If you only like the I don't want to read anything just run around and zerg kill, then you won't like this quest.

This was a challenging quests without being stupid difficult to finish or the mobs being insane in size and number. Figuring out the various NPC places and reactions and what their purpose in the plot is, was quite fun. Figuring it all out was quite nice. The animated weapons were a nice touch.

The thematic halloween/horror/vampire/frankenstein wrapped in a clue-ish who-done-it was pretty damn cool.

And finally an Epic Elite 25+ quest that actually gave great xp for your effort. No pot, no BB going, 80K for first time, plus another 15k in optionals.

The DR on the frankstein monster optional was ridiculous. If there was not the ranged perch available, I would have given up on the fight. That being said though, I will run it a few times on a lower difficulty to see if anything named drops in the chest. If not, then this is an optional I will end up always skipping.

The end fight almost turned into a nightmare. Was able to range him from a perch, which was nice. But his DR was insane. The group casters went through a ton of pots I know. Dotting and shooting him for well over 30 minutes. Only to what.... watch him go from 0 to half strength. ***?

Thank god for the forums though, no way I was going to spend a ton of time late in the early morning trying to figure out why that happened. So a quick search of the forums, and I found the trick to fighting him (thanks a ton FAQ). Then we had him beat in short order.

Overall very good.

I am looking forward to giving the other new quest a shot if it is like this.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Default Repeat

So last nite we ran the quest again on EH to learn it a bit more.

I enjoy the quest even more. Props to the quest designers.

Reading the optional journals the quest is an obvious shout out to Ravenloft which back when I played PnP I was a huge fan of that module.

We were actually able to trap 3 out of 4 of the house guests. At least one was from calculations. The other two were definitely luck.

We discovered the werewolf optional. Which was quite awesome.

It is also with the diversity of the monsters in the various areas of the quest that this is a quest that will be difficult to solo. As an Arty I was noticing that I was constantly switching both the weapons I was using as well as the weapon buffs to pass various monsters DR.

Knowing the trick now for the end fight made a huge difference in it's smoothness.

Again overall we really enjoyed the quest. Definitely gonna play it quite a bit.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Played it last night and loved it. Wish there were more quests like that, where you have to think!

A criticism and a comment:

This is one quest which could REALLY benefit from a voiceover, particularly on the diaries. (Vampire Diaries?? GROANNNN!)

Flesh Golem on the roof is a monster. 30,000 hit points on EN? I am not saying he should be nerfed, but definitely approach with caution.

We never found the werewolf.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Flesh Golem on the roof is a monster. 30,000 hit points on EN? I am not saying he should be nerfed, but definitely approach with caution.

We never found the werewolf.
    The golem has 64k on EH and 245K on EE. Not sure if anything actually even drops in his chest.

The werewolf is in the maze. There is a shack there in one of the dead ends. You approach it in day time no opens when knocking on the door. Approach at nighttime and you have yourselves a fight with an awesome werewolf. Not sure on hit points, but I would suspect he is the same as the golem.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

I have to agree with the sentiment on this quest.

I ran it through with 2 other guildies the other night blind.
    We spent 2 hours in here alone.

Things I loved about it:

1. The shout outs to popular culture.. (vampire diaries, Frankenstein monster, shining hedge maze, Ravenloft feel)
    2. The feel of the quest. ( 3 nights of being in the mansion, trying to figure out who is the latest victim.)
    3. The funnies (Shoving a rat in someones face? Priceless!! haha!)
    4. The artwork ( Owlbear rugs, skulls on the bookcases, the whole darn area!)
    5. The extra's (Letting in the sun to kill the boss? GREAT CONCEPT!)
    6. The xp ( Yeah! Felt nice and worth it, even on Normal.)
    7. The voiceovers. (Great mood/atmosphere/story telling)

All in all, this has become one of my favorite quests here. It brought back the fun of D&D for our group and made those hours a complete blast.
    Thanks for this quest, and kudos to whoever put it all together. I'd give this quest a 10/10 for being "real D&D feeling"
    Keep them coming like this PLEASE!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Very nice quest. I enjoyed the addition of the Wilhelm scream. Thanks for noting the suggestion in the forum. This quest will make my group's lineup fairly regularly.