Default Holy Epic XP Batman!

The release notes aren't kidding when they said they changed the XP formula for epic quests. Not only did "longer" epic quests get a sizeable boost in base XP, but significant optionals got a huge bump. A few early observations (noting that I was running EH with buffs/voice but no xp pots or first-completion/BB):

-EH VoN3 without ransack now nets ~100K XP plus 8K per optional. Pre-U19, it was closer to 75K and 4K per optional.

-EH WizKing is now worth 50K on the quest and 80K on the optionals. The side towers are worth 17k each and the Djinni are 8k each.

-Perhaps the biggest winner in relative terms I've seen thus far: Devil Assault, which benefits from both having lots of "optionals" and an actual boost to base XP. It's now worth close to 100K on EH.

-Tor dragons are now worth >10K apiece as opposed to the 4-5K they were worth before. Now it feels like the meat of that quest actually gives you meaningful XP for the time.

-The big losers? Anything giving meaningful XP/min previously that didn't get a boost. Impossible Demands gets a lot less attractive in this regime. A lot of GH quests are short quests and got little to no bump. The XP saga turn-ins, which weren't great to begin with, seem outright pointless now.

I'd be interested to see what others have noticed with respect to epic XP, and if especially anything else now suddenly makes sense for farming XP. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few nuggets out there now given how liberally the commonly-farmed quests got boosted.
    Last edited by Portalcat; 11-13-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Did the old-guard xp:minute zergfests get objectively nerfed, or just nerfed by proxy?

I was concerned that rusted blades, impossible demands, and others of that ilk had their experience severely lowered based on reading too much into the release notes. But it sounds like they got minimal reductions in xp, but even if unchanged they just aren't as attractive as the longer quests are now.

Do I have that right?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Did the old-guard xp:minute zergfests get objectively nerfed, or just nerfed by proxy?

I was concerned that rusted blades, impossible demands, and others of that ilk had their experience severely lowered based on reading too much into the release notes. But it sounds like they got minimal reductions in xp, but even if unchanged they just aren't as attractive as the longer quests are now.

Do I have that right?
    I'm under the impression that nothing epic got lowered; just nerfed by proxy of being less attractive. That, of course, isn't an actual nerf and means that epic XP just got way easier to acquire generally.

That certainly explains the 170,000 XP I got out of first run elite EE VoN 3, +9,800/optional (about another 50-60k).
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Haven't done any epic stuff yet after U20, but this sounds really nice. More incentive to run stuff other than the mindnumbingly boring ID farm. Me happy.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Default XP is no longer the issue

The limiting factor now is the 150+ quests you have to run from 20-28 to get your ETR heart. Even w/o the XP bump, those would easily get you there. But I guess it does make it more trivial to level off-destinies.
    Khyber, Leader of Elite Empire: Veryunique - Wiz20/Epic8 (PM, PL: Clr,Fvs), Skullcrshr - Pal20/Epic8 (PL: Barb, Ftrx2),
    Elsir - Brd12/Ftr4/Rog2/Epic7 (Swash, PL: Rgr,Mnk,Rog,Art,Drd,Clr), TheMadness - Sorc 14 (PL: Sorc, Wiz, Clr)

Community Member

250k between EH VON3, EE Partycrashers and EE Big Top went a long way towards off destinies. 25 commendations for Partycrashers and I think the option was for 20 for VON3, although I didn't take them.

I think the balance between XP and progress towards the slamming your junk in the hardware drawer that epic TR looks like isn't too bad.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    The limiting factor now is the 150+ quests you have to run from 20-28 to get your ETR heart. Even w/o the XP bump, those would easily get you there. But I guess it does make it more trivial to level off-destinies.
    Buy every other heart from the store? How does that compare TP-wise to epic xp stones?

That or play a bit at cap in whatever sphere is most attractive. I find the current situation, where one may be spending as much time between eTRs as they would have to get there before better as it cuts down the time needed to be spent in off destinies/spheres.

Anyone plot a course through this yet? I was able to get 640k in about two hours last night doing some painful grinding.

Looking for a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Buy every other heart from the store?
    This is what I'll be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Portalcat View Post
    I'm under the impression that nothing epic got lowered; just nerfed by proxy of being less attractive. That, of course, isn't an actual nerf and means that epic XP just got way easier to acquire generally.

They didn't change the base values on any epic quests, but they fixed a bug in the XP Calculations that caused short quests to yield less xp and long quests to yield more xp then before..

-EH VoN3 without ransack now nets ~100K XP plus 8K per optional. Pre-U19, it was closer to 75K and 4K per optional.
    Clever way to get people to buy more epic hearts form the store.

It would take less than 66 repeats of EH VON3's to reach xp cap. but 233 repeats to reach the 4200 comms. So running highly efficient XP quests will get you to cap very very fast, but leave you sitting there at cap for a relatively long time, or buying hearts.

I am not going to complain about the bump in Epic XP. This will reduce the amount of time spent in Off-Destinies while grinding out fate points. It was really nice running VoN3. So far the changes to XP garner zero complaints from me.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

And while I wish it wasn't the case, knowing how the company works we're now almost to the 24 hour mark in the Great VON3/WizKing XP Nerf Countdown.

Use 'em while you got 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    They didn't change the base values on any epic quests, but they fixed a bug in the XP Calculations that caused short quests to yield less xp and long quests to yield more xp then before..
    If my understanding is correct, base epic XP is based on the heroic base XP, which would mean that any quest on the list that got bumped which has an epic version would have also got bumped in epic base XP (e.g. DA).

The bigger change though seems to be the optionals, which seems to be an off-label change.

They were very vague on what, exactly, they did; it's just empirically making it far easier to level.
    Last edited by Portalcat; 11-13-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Personally increasing the options of quests to run because there are more quests that give great XP, is in no way shape or form a nerf.

Thank the GODS that there are more quests now that are attractive to run for xp than Impossible Demands.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)