Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default "Burden of Guilt" debuff - never seen that before, what is it caused by?

Hi all,

Just logged in on one of my toons and noticed it has a "Burden of Guilt" debuff for some reason.

I didn't see a mention of that in the U20 release notes - was it an old thing that I just haven't seen before, or is it new?

And, what causes it and how do I get rid of it? Something equipment-related? (That toon has been wearing some of those items since before U19.)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Were you cheating?
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Hi all,

Just logged in on one of my toons and noticed it has a "Burden of Guilt" debuff for some reason.

I didn't see a mention of that in the U20 release notes - was it an old thing that I just haven't seen before, or is it new?

And, what causes it and how do I get rid of it? Something equipment-related? (That toon has been wearing some of those items since before U19.)
    It is caused by a lack of a moral compass and herpes.

You weren't by any chance wearing items that you don't meet prerequisites for were you? I hear that makes people feel quite guilty.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Because you're running Waterworks decked out in ml:26+ gear. You can unequip it, or just tumble everywhere from now on. O' teh guilt.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    You weren't by any chance wearing items that you don't meet prerequisites for were you? I hear that makes people feel quite guilty.
    does umd count?

Default Let's all sing along!

Hi all,

Just logged in on one of my toons and noticed it has a "Burden of Guilt" debuff...
    Iiiiiffffff you're guilty and ya know it, post a thread!
    If you're guilty and ya know it, post a thread!
    If you're guilty and ya know it and ya really wanna show it;
    If you're guilty and ya know it, post a thread!
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I'll admit it. I was naughty, but I didn't know it.

I bow my head in shame, I had the burden of guilt.

But it was thrust upon me by the gods. I hadn't checked all my people since the shadows fell and was wearing an invulnerability item. The shame in discovering I was wearing an item that was now a single level above my current level.

In shame I slowly, head bowed, went to my trainer, begged forgiveness and took my next level that was also thrust upon me by the kind nature of some of the other DDO gods.

My shame was not over yet. I had to strip out of my garment in front of my brethren. Only then could I put back on the chain shirt I had previously been wearing.
    Last edited by wayreth602; 11-12-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Community Member

Hi all,

The problem might have been caused by the thing the arrogant and self-righteous people above mentioned. That said here's something useful for you that doesn't assume you are the guilty party. Turbine has raised min lvls on various gear. This is quite likely to have caused your problem. Find it and unequip it. For the rest of you..remove that stick you equipped. It seems to be causing you to move a little slow and you haven't even noticed.

Edit-As a lovely added note..one of the enchantments in question was the already heavily nerfed poison "immunity" items.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckslayer View Post
    Edit-As a lovely added note..one of the enchantments in question was the already heavily nerfed poison "immunity" items.
    Can't wait to TR and see what happens when I start wearing cannith crafted gear again.

A couple of nights ago I notice that a suit of disenchanted mountain plate with a blue slot, selling in the AH for umpteenbazziilon PP, was listed as usable by my l4 cleric. So I bought a fully enchanted set with a blue slot for ~7000PP, walked it over to cannith and equipped it. #did I cheat?

Quote Originally Posted by wayreth602 View Post
    I'll admit it. I was naughty, but I didn't know it.

I bow my head in shame, I had the burden of guilt.

But it was thrust upon me by the gods. I hadn't checked all my people since the shadows fell and was wearing an invulnerability item. The shame in discovering I was wearing an item that was now a single level above my current level.

In shame I slowly, head bowed, went to my trainer, begged forgiveness and took my next level that was also thrust upon me by the kind nature of some of the other DDO gods.

My shame was not over yet. I had to strip out of my garment in front of my brethren. Only then could I put back on the chain shirt I had previously been wearing.
    This happened to one of my mothballed alts that I have not used in a while. Went looking to see who got a raider box (or didn't) and he was running in slow motion. Apparently his armor had the minimum level increased at some point since I used him and I was supposed to be punished for it. Seems silly to me but whatever he had the xp to level from the same update so I went and raised his level to meet the prerequisites. I feel sorry for people who could not immediately level up to use their legacy gear. Retconning old gear is bad form. Punishing people for owning such gear is even worse.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Proud resident of Sarlona. Player of "Gilgimesh the Steel Demon".

exploiters get this as a permanent debuff and to mark them visible for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddragon87 View Post
    This happened to one of my mothballed alts that I have not used in a while. Went looking to see who got a raider box (or didn't) and he was running in slow motion. Apparently his armor had the minimum level increased at some point since I used him and I was supposed to be punished for it. Seems silly to me but whatever he had the xp to level from the same update so I went and raised his level to meet the prerequisites. I feel sorry for people who could not immediately level up to use their legacy gear. Retconning old gear is bad form. Punishing people for owning such gear is even worse.
    I agree, I had it happen on the alt I was joking about on Sarlona and a mule on Cannith. Knowing why it was done, I can sort of understand but both toons were easy to fix since they could both level.

More ironic though was the fact that the game did not recognize that they could use the items after leveling and they had to remove and then equip the armors.

As for looking for the raiders box, yeah I was going through all alts on all servers to have a look.

I'll agree with you about those people that were using legacy gear that got altered and burned. I feel sorry for those that come back from a vacation.

As a side note, I was going through the toons to snag all the hearts and possible raider boxes since I discovered that sometimes if you don't log in an alt you miss out on the goodies. Some of my alts have birthday cakes but no battle boxes due to the fact they did not log during the battle box birthday giveaway.

Edit: Just to be clear, I had equipped gear that at the time of equipping was of the ML that it could be used on the two said toons. The ML was changed on items they were wearing and it was unknown since the toons were ignored or just used for storage.
    Last edited by wayreth602; 11-13-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckslayer View Post
    That said here's something useful for you that doesn't assume you are the guilty party. Turbine has raised min lvls on various gear. This is quite likely to have caused your problem. Find it and unequip it.
    Thanks for the simple explanation. Trying to understand changes when all of the discussion is conducted entirely in subtext and memes is rather challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidZombie View Post
    Thanks for the simple explanation. Trying to understand changes when all of the discussion is conducted entirely in subtext and memes is rather challenging.
    Sorry, another simple explanation.

If you had ML gear equipped that was higher that what you should be able to equip on you, burden of guilt debuff occurred. Remove the item, debuff gone. Level to the right level and then you can use the item.

It could have been done by no fault of your own due to changes in the loot system, as in you were using a lvl 5 item and it became lvl 6. For example the invul on armor's ML changed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by wayreth602 View Post
    It could have been done by no fault of your own due to changes in the loot system, as in you were using a lvl 5 item and it became lvl 6. For example the invul on armor's ML changed.
    Why yes, a lot of my toons have been wearing +1 battle/skirmish whatever of Invulnerability with +2 Con slotted in colorless. That used to be ML 5 and craftable by new toons by then.

That's probably it... sort of nasty though... was this announced anywhere? I did read the notes but didn't notice this.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

My very old cleric was still using a potency scepter in one hand, used to be ML 12. It was ML 20 after loot change, but I hadn't changed it. Suddenly he was veeeeeery slooooow.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Hi all,

Check to see the min level of all your equipped gear.

update 19 changed the min levels of Cannith crafted gear or any old school random gen stuff... it was retroactively "fu...ixed" by the destroyer of loot dev.
    Gear/weapons remained equipped even though you now no longer meet the level requirement.. so swap it out and you can no longer equip it.
    things like invulnerability went from no min level to min level 4.

Update 20 introduced burden of guilt for anyone who has gear equipped that is higher than the character level.
    . assuming this was introduced to hamper people who exploited a bug. which i find humerous..
    . kudo's to devs for this punishment over pointless bannings...

except..I found a lot of my lowbies who had various account bound crafted gear for leveling were now burdened with guilt..
    Now my unique hard to find collection of low level gear I have accumulated over years has been retoractively screwed and is now higher level than random drop stuff.. making it effectively worthless.

Why is it my lowbies are burndend with guilt because some dev retroactively level screwed my legitimate loot.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 11-13-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

Some of you should really unequip that stick, it's too high level for you...

This is yet another change that breaks more than it fixes. If there is an exploit caused by a bug, YOU FIX THE BUG. You don't introduce another broken mechanism, now two things are broken!!

1 - This change does not stop the exploit, and you can still exploit without the debuff

2 - It is possible to get the debuff without exploiting

But go on and keep whining, all I am seeing is first-grade level "cheater cheater pumpkin eater!" discussion. I'd rather debate philosophy with my 3 year old nephew...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast