Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Raider's Box Choice?

With the Raider's Box, we now have to contemplate a loot choice on characters we never had to consider it for before. Can someone summarize which of the Caught in the Web loot is worth it vs. which isn't? Especially direct comparisons like the falchion vs the great axe? Nightmare was nerfed, correct? What others are worth it, vs. being newb traps? With all the "flavor" text descriptions it is hard to tell, as opposed to straight damage numbers on ordinary weapons.

I know Pinion is good because everyone talks about it, and it has no competition on the list anyway. So, please advise, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    With the Raider's Box, we now have to contemplate a loot choice on characters we never had to consider it for before. Can someone summarize which of the Caught in the Web loot is worth it vs. which isn't? Especially direct comparisons like the falchion vs the great axe? Nightmare was nerfed, correct? What others are worth it, vs. being newb traps? With all the "flavor" text descriptions it is hard to tell, as opposed to straight damage numbers on ordinary weapons.

I know Pinion is good because everyone talks about it, and it has no competition on the list anyway. So, please advise, thanks!
    Pinion - Great
    Needle - Good
    Cleaver - Great, doesn't get as much credit as it should because it's not eSoS
    Nightmare - Great before U20, Good after
    Celestia - Great
    Agony - Great
    Sireth - Great
    Antipode - Good
    Twilight - Good

All others I would rank as "Not Bad". There are no terrible weapons from the raid....
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

waterbreathing on a falchion... awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    I hate weapons like that. It takes away from doing actual DPS with them. Its like the Timeblade is kinda cool, but featherfall?
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    I think you are thinking of Tinah the longsword. But seriously WB on a weapon excites you?

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I hate weapons like that. It takes away from doing actual DPS with them. Its like the Timeblade is kinda cool, but featherfall?
    Agreed. A waste imho.

I actually feel that each of the items can be an upgrade for characters that already use weapons of those types. However, not character will benefit from the items and it is possible that the Heroic Comms may be a better choice.

My approach was to look at what weapon I'm currently using and see if there is a cross reference to a CitW weapon. I then made my choice based on if the 5 comms would be more valuable or would the Weapon be more valuable right now.

Example: For my wizard Twilight is a nice staff, however I'm currently getting more options from using the various orbs and high level scepters for my area of expertise. 5 Comms would put me 2 comms short of finishing the full upgrade of an Item I already have. Here I determined I can wait on Twilight as I will get a faster benefit from the Comms.

This didn't play out on other characters the same, my Artificer took Needle and my paladin took Tinah.

Celestia looks like a B sword in the icon and says its a B sword in the description, but then says it's a short sword. So which is it really, especially in terms of slashing vs piercing, and glancing blows with a shield?

Celestia looks like a B sword in the icon and says its a B sword in the description, but then says it's a short sword. So which is it really, especially in terms of slashing vs piercing, and glancing blows with a shield?
    Short Sword. Piercing. Improved Crit Piercing feat works with it.

This thread https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-2-gt-Celestia says it does get glancing blows. So it sounds like no slashing crit but yes glancing blows? If so it would still be a good consolation prize if Nightmare is dead. Can anyone confirm that it is yes on piercing crit?

my Monk took Antipode, it's not really much of an upgrade to my Grave Wraps right now, but once upgraded it'll be much better

(my point being that even if a weapon isn't much of an upgrade to what you are using now, they are upgrade-able themselves and the full versions are often much better than anything else)
    Last edited by Asmodeus451; 11-12-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

I took the Great Axe. Excited to get enough favor to upgrade it!

The 2.5(2d8) is why I took it and limb chopper is nice also.

What did they change with Nightmare?
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    my Monk took Antipode, it's not really much of an upgrade to my Grave Wraps right now, but once upgraded it'll be much better

(my point being that even if a weapon isn't much of an upgrade to what you are using now, they are upgrade-able themselves and the full versions are often much better than anything else)
    That's a good point!

Quote Originally Posted by elraido View Post
    What did they change with Nightmare?
    I don't have one so I can't give all the details but life stealing generally was significantly nerfed in how much it goes off. Like instead of every crit it is now maybe 20% of crits, or similar. (I don't know the maths don't tear me apart on that, just heard that it went from being one of the best trash killers in the game to meh.)

I don't have one so I can't give all the details but life stealing generally was significantly nerfed in how much it goes off. Like instead of every crit it is now maybe 20% of crits, or similar. (I don't know the maths don't tear me apart on that, just heard that it went from being one of the best trash killers in the game to meh.)
    It has been like that since they changed Dreamsplitter years ago. I figured that was the case though.
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

Community Member

On my PM, I took Twilight because it will be a nice filler until lvl 25 and I'll switch to a lot of really good enchant/necro 2 weapon sets. Pluse it works nicely with Shroud as my robe. On my fighter I took the coms so I can make th e red plate armor. Mostly because I like how it looks and the seeker +10 works nicely with esos and I was having a hard time fitting that in, since I haven't been able to get a MC shard in over two years.
    Characters:
    5th Life Human Paladin - Sorrowanddoo
    11th Life Sun Elf Wizard - Sorrowandei
    3rd Life Human Fighter - Sorrowandai

As someone who will likely never get around to running CITW, and thus never upgrading I was trying to figure out what would be good for someone who TRs alot, and has no idea what their final class/build will be.

My thoughts on them:
    Agony, the Knife in the Dark - No. Dagger. Really, can't see myself using a dagger.
    Antipode, Fist of the Horizon - Maybe? Unsure though as doesn't seem to be monumental improvement over grave wraps.
    Balizarde, Protector of the King - No. Rapier. I've never used a rapier.
    Breach, The Dividing Blade - Probably not? Interesting item. Don't use falcions though.
    Celestia, Brightest Star of Day - Maybe? Breaks DR, if you will and is unique in that ability. Not used shortwords, but it's a novel item.
    Cleaver, Hewer of Suffering - Maybe? I have an EAGA which is awesome for DR-breaking and trash, so is this a big improvement?
    Mornh, Hammer of the Mountains - No. Who really uses warhammers?
    Needle, Quill-slinger - Maybe? Big jump here over alot of other items.
    Nightmare, the Fallen Moon - No. Never use bswords before, doubt I'll start now. Besides everyone says nerfed to meh.
    Pinion, Cloud-piercer - Probably. Big improvement here over other items.
    Sireth, Spear of the Sky - Maybe? There's a real lack of top-notch qstaves
    Tinah, Sword of the Sea - No. I never used a longsword in dozens of lives, can't see starting now with an UWA sword.
    Twilight, Element of Magic - No. Seems outclassed by newer lootgen items
    Commendation of Heroism - No. Can get from FoT, besides I would likely never get the PDK favor to use

So, thinking Pinion as bows can be used by alot of classes so wherever I end up, yay! Needle or Celestia look solid too. Antipode, Cleaver, or Sireth look decent as well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzor View Post
    As someone who will likely never get around to running CITW, and thus never upgrading I was trying to figure out what would be good for someone who TRs alot, and has no idea what their final class/build will be.

My thoughts on them:
    Agony, the Knife in the Dark - No. Dagger. Really, can't see myself using a dagger.
    Antipode, Fist of the Horizon - Maybe? Unsure though as doesn't seem to be monumental improvement over grave wraps.
    Balizarde, Protector of the King - No. Rapier. I've never used a rapier.
    Breach, The Dividing Blade - Probably not? Interesting item. Don't use falcions though.
    Celestia, Brightest Star of Day - Maybe? Breaks DR, if you will and is unique in that ability. Not used shortwords, but it's a novel item.
    Cleaver, Hewer of Suffering - Maybe? I have an EAGA which is awesome for DR-breaking and trash, so is this a big improvement?
    Mornh, Hammer of the Mountains - No. Who really uses warhammers?
    Needle, Quill-slinger - Maybe? Big jump here over alot of other items.
    Nightmare, the Fallen Moon - No. Never use bswords before, doubt I'll start now. Besides everyone says nerfed to meh.
    Pinion, Cloud-piercer - Probably. Big improvement here over other items.
    Sireth, Spear of the Sky - Maybe? There's a real lack of top-notch qstaves
    Tinah, Sword of the Sea - No. I never used a longsword in dozens of lives, can't see starting now with an UWA sword.
    Twilight, Element of Magic - No. Seems outclassed by newer lootgen items
    Commendation of Heroism - No. Can get from FoT, besides I would likely never get the PDK favor to use

So, thinking Pinion as bows can be used by alot of classes so wherever I end up, yay! Needle or Celestia look solid too. Antipode, Cleaver, or Sireth look decent as well.
    I suggest you either delete your post or actually look at what the items do. You're ranking the items based on if you've used a specific weapon before?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post
    I suggest you either delete your post or actually look at what the items do. You're ranking the items based on if you've used a specific weapon before?
    A bit harsh. but /concur

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post
    yeah. remove that post. hope no one actually reads that and makes a decision.
    Dorian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast