Community Member

Question All Consuming Flame doesn't work?

Hi

so iv made monk with flame blades, went for 'all consuming flame' ability, started using it and doesn't seem to make my attacks any stronger, there is NO purple dmg showing up. I thought that enemies that are more vulnerable to fire show purple dmg when hit by fire attacks. also used the fires of purity and ki bolt on targets affected by all consuming flame and it just felt like it didn't do anything.
    Note: Im only lvl 6 so i dont deal a lot of damage so perhaps if my fires of purity deals 1-6 dmg then add 10% to that then it doesn't actually make the numbers any larger since its not even gona increase the dmg by 1 whole nr. But with flame blades i deal about 20 dmg and 40+ with crit and yet dont feel like all consuming flame is actually helping at all. ( Sad Panda )

Please respond if you know anything !

Quote Originally Posted by Bladzor View Post
    Hi

so iv made monk with flame blades, went for 'all consuming flame' ability, started using it and doesn't seem to make my attacks any stronger, there is NO purple dmg showing up. I thought that enemies that are more vulnerable to fire show purple dmg when hit by fire attacks. also used the fires of purity and ki bolt on targets affected by all consuming flame and it just felt like it didn't do anything.
    Note: Im only lvl 6 so i dont deal a lot of damage so perhaps if my fires of purity deals 1-6 dmg then add 10% to that then it doesn't actually make the numbers any larger since its not even gona increase the dmg by 1 whole nr. But with flame blades i deal about 20 dmg and 40+ with crit and yet dont feel like all consuming flame is actually helping at all. ( Sad Panda )

Please respond if you know anything !
    This and related Henshin Mystic debuffing abilities depend on the target's own fire resistance. If they have, say, +10 resistance and you use this ability, they may have no effective resistance but no vulnerability, either (no purple damage).

Keep in mind that you need ki to make this work and that it is a touch melee effect, so you have to have contact to apply it. If you are wearing anything that makes you uncentered, your ki bar will quickly drain to 0 and you will not be able to apply this or any other ki based abilities.

These "Elemental Words" were originally in the Ninja Spy tree of old and weren't that popular overall. A fully-trained Mystic can leverage it over time since they gain extra spell power from core enhancements that magnifies Fire and Force damage. The ability might still come in handy against ice creatures and similar enemies who are already vulnerable but can gain extra hurt with this debuff. Since you're multiclassing with Druid, your mileage will vary.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    This and related Henshin Mystic debuffing abilities depend on the target's own fire resistance. If they have, say, +10 resistance and you use this ability, they may have no effective resistance but no vulnerability, either (no purple damage).

Keep in mind that you need ki to make this work and that it is a touch melee effect, so you have to have contact to apply it. If you are wearing anything that makes you uncentered, your ki bar will quickly drain to 0 and you will not be able to apply this or any other ki based abilities.

These "Elemental Words" were originally in the Ninja Spy tree of old and weren't that popular overall. A fully-trained Mystic can leverage it over time since they gain extra spell power from core enhancements that magnifies Fire and Force damage. The ability might still come in handy against ice creatures and similar enemies who are already vulnerable but can gain extra hurt with this debuff. Since you're multiclassing with Druid, your mileage will vary.

Thanks for response,

Just to let you know i hit mobs with all consuming flame that don't have any fire resistance, i can see that the debuff is applied on them because i click Z and it shows. So i would expect some purple number to be showing up when i hit them with fire attacks. I dont have any druid levels, I' am currently 1 fighter 5 monk and i am using druids past life to summon flame blades. I am centered at all times. So im thinking...All consuming flames actually doesnt do anything.... its a shame since it costs 2 AP and it is required to unlock void strike like all the other elemental words. ( not been testing the other elemental words yet since i havent picked them yet )

Community Member

Thanks for response,

Just to let you know i hit mobs with all consuming flame that don't have any fire resistance, i can see that the debuff is applied on them because i click Z and it shows. So i would expect some purple number to be showing up when i hit them with fire attacks. I dont have any druid levels, I' am currently 1 fighter 5 monk and i am using druids past life to summon flame blades. I am centered at all times. So im thinking...All consuming flames actually doesnt do anything.... its a shame since it costs 2 AP and it is required to unlock void strike like all the other elemental words. ( not been testing the other elemental words yet since i havent picked them yet )
    Alright, so i did some more testing and i can confirm that it does work for monk abilities, however you must deal at least 10 fire dmg or more on target affected by all consuming flame to see the purple numbers (which makes sense). But the question remains...Does All consuming flame Amplify the dmg i deal with flame blades? I believe it should since Flame blades does fire dmg. I cant quiet figure out wherever it does or not, but i can telll you that i dont see purple numbers showing up when i hit enemies with flame blades while they are affected by all consuming flame. and i most definitely do over 10 'fire' dmg ... so why dmg isnt showing in purple colour?
    ( Note : the mobs i have been testing on don't have any resistances )

Alright, so i did some more testing and i can confirm that it does work for monk abilities, however you must deal at least 10 fire dmg or more on target affected by all consuming flame to see the purple numbers (which makes sense). But the question remains...Does All consuming flame Amplify the dmg i deal with flame blades? I believe it should since Flame blades does fire dmg. I cant quiet figure out wherever it does or not, but i can telll you that i dont see purple numbers showing up when i hit enemies with flame blades while they are affected by all consuming flame. and i most definitely do over 10 'fire' dmg ... so why dmg isnt showing in purple colour?
    ( Note : the mobs i have been testing on don't have any resistances )
    I don't have the complete answer to that at the moment or have a character quite at your level to test this.

There are other factors on an enemy that might apply some other resistance against fire damage that I don't know about. As I said, these debuffers vary in effectiveness since no enemy works the same. Using the electrical debuffer, say, against a tiefling will not work since they are fully immune to electrical damage.

But as I think you're realizing, your damage level determines how effective the debuff works. Each debuff increases the enemy's vulnerability to an element but doesn't necessarily increase your damage. The harder you hit with an element damage, the greater the return, in my experience.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    I don't have the complete answer to that at the moment or have a character quite at your level to test this.

There are other factors on an enemy that might apply some other resistance against fire damage that I don't know about. As I said, these debuffers vary in effectiveness since no enemy works the same. Using the electrical debuffer, say, against a tiefling will not work since they are fully immune to electrical damage.

But as I think you're realizing, your damage level determines how effective the debuff works. Each debuff increases the enemy's vulnerability to an element but doesn't necessarily increase your damage. The harder you hit with an element damage, the greater the return, in my experience.
    Okay... I did some more precise testing with mobs that have vulnerability to fire, so i went to do quest The caged trolls (since its my lvl quest and there are trolls). So i calculated that my damage is 18-23 (flame blades +2 which is 3-8 +deadly helm +3 , wis modifier +8 ,+2 from kensei enchantments +2 from elf enchantments. So dmg i deal is 18-23. Tested it on mobs with no vulnerability or resistance to fire and indeed dmg varied from 18-23. Then i attacked a Troll (who takes 125%fire dmg cause of vulnerability) and i managed to do hit for 27. Which does work casue 23x1.25 =28.75 so its with in the range ( i did hat to test if flame blades dmg is amplified when mobs are vulnerable to fire)! Alright so then i went to check if i use all consuming flame on mobs that are not resistant to fire with no vulnerabilities. Applied All consuming flame on them and attacked and i did encounter some 24, 25 numbers floating in the air which is great news because it works since its more than my dmg 18-23!

I just was not convinced before because i probably couldn't pull out big enough dmg to actually see the difference with naked eye.

SO just like u say the more the dmg the better the results

And i confirm that All consuming flame Works just as intended !! ( and so do flame blades )...Sorry for any trouble.