Thread: Tome drop rate

Default Tome drop rate

Over the last updates the ability tome drop chances decreased for the obvious reason to a ridiculously small number. Honestly, increase it back to normal (pre-motu).

Community Member

I assume you mean stat tomes and not skill tomes. Stat tomes have been smacked hard with the nerf bat in a couple key ways. Skill tomes are new so haven't really changed in any way.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    Over the last updates the ability tome drop chances decreased for the obvious reason to a ridiculously small number. Honestly, increase it back to normal (pre-motu).
    Because they were available in the store? Your topic will get more support if you spell things out rather than insinuate things people may or may not be thinking about at the moment.

Anyhow, signed.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    Because they were available in the store? Your topic will get more support if you spell things out rather than insinuate things people may or may not be thinking about at the moment.

Anyhow, signed.
    Tomes have always been available in store. But +5 tomes seem quasi-exclusive to ddo store at the moment (except from the mabar event or gold roll). Anyhow, the obvious reason is simply to increase the revenue, which is not a bad thing, but a game where content i.e. adventure packs, classes etc. is sold should maintain a low level of p2w. ddo breached this threshold by large steps after/with motu expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    I assume you mean stat tomes and not skill tomes.
    ability tomes = stat tomes

Community Member

I assume you mean stat tomes and not skill tomes. Stat tomes have been smacked hard with the nerf bat in a couple key ways. Skill tomes are new so haven't really changed in any way.
    ability tomes and stat tomes are the same

What I've noticed is the Upgrade tomes far exceed the regular tome drops. Have had 1 regular drop, and almost 5 upgrade drops. Kinda sucks, imo.
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    I had a +1 Strength Tome drop in elite HAVERDASHER on Wayfinder over the weekend.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I had a +1 Strength Tome drop in elite HAVERDASHER on Wayfinder over the weekend.
    Shhh! If they knew tomes dropped that well here, everyone will reroll on Wayfinder, and we will suffer lag.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

U19 borked them.

Basically it seems that:
    Tome drop level ranges were increased. Before: +4 tomes could drop from 27+ level chests. Now: no idea.
    Skill tomes replace ability tomes. Before: One in 300-400 chest openings gave a stat tome. Now one in 300-400 chest opening gives a tome, but normal(non upgrade) stat tomes are replaced 90%+ of the time with a skill tome making ability tome drop rates abysmal.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    U19 borked them.

Basically it seems that:
    Tome drop level ranges were increased. Before: +4 tomes could drop from 27+ level chests. Now: no idea.
    Skill tomes replace ability tomes. Before: One in 300-400 chest openings gave a stat tome. Now one in 300-400 chest opening gives a tome, but normal(non upgrade) stat tomes are replaced 90%+ of the time with a skill tome making ability tome drop rates abysmal.
    Just another facet of the totally ruined loot drop tables in general. Seriously - one of the very best things about the game, and they toast it for months on end (aand that's taking FoS at his word that it's going to even be fixed.)

The OP mentioned ability tomes which is the appropriate terminology he never mentioned skill tomes.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

I'm sure we all remember when the AH had multiple +1 tomes at 10-30k each
    and
    multiple +2 tomes at around 75-100k each.

The Prices have since shot up to asinine numbers for both of these.

Ergo: Drop Rates are way down!

Devs...We all know what you're doing here:

1) Hand out +1-+2 Upgrades like Confetti.

2) Reduce Drop Rate of +1 Tomes by a significant amount.

3) Profit when players give in and purchase said +1 tome from DDOStore as they cannot afford to pay the exorbitant AH Prices.

Either Double our allowed Bank Spaces {both Character and Shared} or FIX the +1 Tome Droprate!

Community Member

I'd noticed the lack of tomes dropping lately, although I was kinda shocked by the +1 STR tome I pulled in Kobold's New Ringleader the other day.

AFAICT, what has changed isn't the drop rate, it's where they drop.

Pre U19, they dropped in chests and also in end rewards, and a tome in a chest replaced the loot you would have otherwise got. Because most end rewards have 7-10 items in them, and tomes are almost always the best thing on the list when they appear (unless you got something like a Healing Amp/Superior Parrying bracers or a Spell Proofing robe or shield, all items that got ghostbaned in U19), most tomes actually came from end rewards.

Now, they still drop in chests, but they replace the potions/gold/scrolls instead of the item. And as a result, they don't drop in end rewards.

Mana potions were ghostbaned in the same way.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Now, they still drop in chests, but they replace the potions/gold/scrolls instead of the item. And as a result, they don't drop in end rewards.
    That's not 100% true: +4 and +5 tomes don't drop in chests anymore (and neither in 20th end rewards afaik, since they have been replaced by skill tomes). Raid chests are the exception

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    AFAICT, what has changed isn't the drop rate, it's where they drop.

Pre U19, they dropped in chests and also in end rewards, and a tome in a chest replaced the loot you would have otherwise got. Because most end rewards have 7-10 items in them, and tomes are almost always the best thing on the list when they appear (unless you got something like a Healing Amp/Superior Parrying bracers or a Spell Proofing robe or shield, all items that got ghostbaned in U19), most tomes actually came from end rewards.

Mana potions were ghostbaned in the same way.
    Noone in our guild has yet gotten a +3 or +4 ability tome that was not an upgrade tome since u19, there have been quite many(8-10?) upgrade ability +3 to +4 tomes though.

What are these "tome" things you speak of? Are they related to Snipes? Do I need a tome bag and a stick to carch one out in the woods in the middle of the night? lol

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    The OP mentioned ability tomes which is the appropriate terminology he never mentioned skill tomes.
    I never bothered with skill tomes. They are just nice to have, that is all.