Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If you take the $100/year deal, its about 8 bucks and change per month. You also get about $3 worth of tp every month so really....vip is about $5 per month

Five bucks a month for the best way to experience the game. I can hardly buy a beer for that

Premiums just get sucky about it because they chose a side, lost and are too invested in their choice to change. So they attempt to make silly justifications and lay on their backs, kick their feet, cry and spit at anyone who was bright enough to make the right choice

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I know that you were trying to make some point but failed miserably. Try agin maybe your second post will work and try to be more educated and not insult people.
    Insulting people is pretty much the theme of the thread starting with the initial post. Don't try to pretend that you're better than other people and insult them and then act all indignant when someone points out how obnoxious your post is.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

I've been both premium and VIP. While I could certainly break down why premium has been a better deal for me, it's probably more useful to point out the following:

-No one can tell you how to spend your dollars unless you let them.
    -For the most part, no one cares whether or not you have a sub.

The only VIP benefit I've ever missed is the difficulty unlock when I'm running a new alt, and the nice thing is the people who have subs are welcome to join me and solve that problem. What I'm saying is that these "haters" are largely in your own head. This is not 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I am not ripping on anyone. We can each make our own decision on what the best method is for each of us.

Like I have said numerous times, I switched form VIP as a matter of principal. Sure Turbine might not miss my $15/month, but for me it was because my concerns were not being met. Of course it is a good game, but I refused to give them money by nerfing my characters when it was not needed. As small as a stand that it was, I did it for me and have never told anyone else that they should or have to follow.

What does make me scratch my head is when the VIP and people that spend a ton on TP keep coming here complaining that Turbine should do this or that. Whether it be wanting perma bans for some or complaining at any other aspect even if it is complaining about complainers. As long as you keep paying, Turbine could give a damn about what you have to say. As long as you “blindly throw money” nothing will change. WB will get their cut and all is good. If people really want to make a change they need to do it with their wallet and not their rants here.

That is what I find funny about the thread. “Turbine I am very upset that you are not banning more people, but shut up and take my money”. “Turbine I am very upset that people are using ED’s on lowbies, but take my money”. I just sit and laugh whenever I see some fatcat come here and cry that they deserve this and that because they are spending a lot. These people need to quit ranting on the forums and start closing their wallet if they want to be taken serious.
    I agree with most of what you are saying people should spend there money how they want to. However the one point I diverge from you on is that just because your a VIP does not mean I am or others are blindly throwing money at Turbine or away. It means that overall I am satisfied with the game and enjoy the product. Does it mean that I don't think there is room for improvement, yes there is. I played this game for the first several years not agreeing that the game should be based in Eberron but Forgotten Realms but I like the D&D lore in the game so I endured.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    I've been both premium and VIP. While I could certainly break down why premium has been a better deal for me, it's probably more useful to point out the following:

-No one can tell you how to spend your dollars unless you let them.
    -For the most part, no one cares whether or not you have a sub.

The only VIP benefit I've ever missed is the difficulty unlock when I'm running a new alt, and the nice thing is the people who have subs are welcome to join me and solve that problem. What I'm saying is that these "haters" are largely in your own head. This is not 1998.
    Your WRONG but entitled to your opinion. There are 10 times if not more negative threads in the forums about VIPs and paying Turbine anything than there is positive. You kind sir just need to open up your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Insulting people is pretty much the theme of the thread starting with the initial post. Don't try to pretend that you're better than other people and insult them and then act all indignant when someone points out how obnoxious your post is.
    I don't pretend to better as I am not I was simply pointing out the negativity players have toward VIPs that are not VIP. Re-focus your thoughts to what I was actually talking about in a positive manner.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Yes it does amuse me the way f2p and premium players try to ripe on VIP players and that was my intent.
    Ah, well, honesty is at least a virtue, but

Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by dougnugget View Post
    I'm a VIP, and this post doesn't speak for me.

I've never had anyone tell me how to spend my money on this game - although I've seen some very good advice about comparative costs.

I went VIP for the elite unlocks (after I'd already bought a lot of the content) and stayed for the +10% XP bonus.

I didn't go VIP in order to start fights with people who aren't VIPs. They're still customers, regardless of their payment plan. Even totally free-to-play people are contributing by being part of the questing community.

OP, please knock it off, you're not helping anyone here.
    I am sorry but it seems comprehension isn't a strong suite I am not picking a fight with non-VIPs many of them petition VIPs regularly to stop being VIP in order to assist them in making their disillusioned point toward Turbine. I am happy with being a VIP for many reasons for those that don't want to be fine just don't try to get me involved in your demonstrations and insult me if I choose not to. No kind sir it is you that needs to comprehend what my point is and for you to knock it off thank you.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

I got kicked from a group once because I wasn't a VIP.

True story.

(/sarcasm)
    Last edited by Braegan; 11-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Default Best Reason for VIP

The only reason to be VIP, is ghostbane.

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    I got kicked from a group once because I wasn't a VIP.

True story.

That's wrong why can't everyone just get along.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I'm sorry. Did I unknowingly rattle your cage? What thought I wish to apply to any given situation is mine to determine. What you do with your time is up to you. Let's keep it that way.
    What thought I wish to apply to a given statement is likewise mine to determine. The thought I applied to your statement is "lazy". Not that there is anything wrong with being lazy, especially when it comes to recreation, but I certainly don't go around trying to pretend that being a Premium player requires any meaningful amount of effort or thought on the part of the player.

It takes longer to buff up on my guild's ship than it does to buy new content as it emerges.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 11-12-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Default Obligatory

I was once VIP like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnez View Post
    I was once VIP like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Just the other day, on Skyrim's second birthday, I was thinking how happy I was that joke had faded into obscurity. Guess it still has some life to it.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I don't pretend to better as I am not I was simply pointing out the negativity players have toward VIPs that are not VIP. Re-focus your thoughts to what I was actually talking about in a positive manner.
    Go back and re-read your initial post and re-read this post that I'm quoting here. Some players see VIP as a waste of money and some VERY FEW of those players to to encourage other people to make what they see as a better financial decision. You can view that as negativity if you want, but 1) stop painting with such a broad brush and 2) re-focus your thoughts to what they were actually talking about in a positive manner. It's no different than having someone try to convince you to try a different restaurant. They see one payment method as being superior to another and want to convince you of the greater value of the purchased content over the rented content. The only negativity there is the negativity that you use to view it.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Who cares if you are premium or VIP. You are still paying for the F2P and TP farmers to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    They see one payment method as being superior to another and want to convince you of the greater value of the purchased content over the rented content.
    Long term it very much is the superior deal. The catch is it requires about two years to break even assuming you acquire everything through sales (both TP and content). Closer to three years if you do not bother with sales. If you do not intend to play for that long, VIP is superior.

Some VIPs like to claim they wish to support Turbine. Some may actually be satisfied with the direction Turbine is taking. But Turbine continuously shows they have no concern for their player base and will do whatever they feel like. So I cannot understand the concept of supporting such a company. It would almost be like wishing to support those companies that disregard health regulations simply because you like the flavor of their food. Have fun picking that analogy apart everyone!
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    If you take the $100/year deal, its about 8 bucks and change per month. You also get about $3 worth of tp every month so really....vip is about $5 per month

Five bucks a month for the best way to experience the game. I can hardly buy a beer for that
    This and more sums up why I am VIP and have been since a week after I started playing 2 years ago, I don't smoke and hardly ever drink alcohol (well I can't really these days due to medications I have to take) and don't really go out much so this is very cheap entertainment that I get a lot of enjoyment from.

I have had lengthy discussions with many people about the pro's and con's of being VIP with people who are VIP/Premium/F2P and never once has it turned in to this slanging match, let people choose to play the game how THEY want to play it and if that means they are Premium and not VIP so be it! It is THEIR choice not yours!

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    What thought I wish to apply to a given statement is likewise mine to determine. The thought I applied to your statement is "lazy". Not that there is anything wrong with being lazy, especially when it comes to recreation, but I certainly don't go around trying to pretend that being a Premium player requires any meaningful amount of effort or thought on the part of the player.

It takes longer to buff up on my guild's ship than it does to buy new content as it emerges.
    And where, exactly, did I state or imply any such pretense? I merely stated the reasoning behind why I prefer being a VIP. You then proceeded to chide me for those stated reasons, without any provocation on my part I may add.

If you don't care for the the way I run my life, so what? Your opinion on this matter means bupkis.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Long term it very much is the superior deal. The catch is it requires about two years to break even assuming you acquire everything through sales (both TP and content). Closer to three years if you do not bother with sales.
    Can vouch for this. My wife and I were VIP for last 2 years- we didn't really spend TP points and purchased MotU Collectors. After 2 years VIP, we had enough (thanks to a timely Adventure Pack sale) to purchase ALL the content, extra slots, WF, Monk, Arty, and the shared bank.

I think that Shadowfail really made that decision for us- since VIP's were not going to get any more content -"Hey- if we just call it an Expansion instead of an Update, we can make them pay more".
    The only thing I miss is the Elite Opener, but that's because we're currently playing a set of characters that are only on 2nd life.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast