Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chaios View Post
    It amuses me how some people pretend to believe that p2p people are not paying to play the game...
    Does this include those VIPs who duped, got caught and were banned?
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    You see VIP members could care less how you want to spend your money but F2P and premium players sure seem to go the extended mile to tell VIPs how to spend theirs.
    I am sure you didn't mean that part of the enjoyment of being ViP was ripping on those who make fun of you being ViP. And I am sure plenty of ViPs do care how premium players spend their dollars and how f2p players are attracted to the game and then converted into premium, or, even ViP.

I think from Glin's comments on the recent "Ask the Devs" wherein it appears the Powers That Be don't always look at the numbers - is a bit concerning. Certainly, as Lead Producer, I would be concerned as much with what drives people to cancel their ViP status as much as what draws people to sub. DDO, however, for a long time, seemed to not care about ViPs - plenty apparent from the ViP whining here are the boards. Since then ViPs received a few extra perks, like a movement bonus. Is it enough? I don't know - has DDO decided to really entice people back to ViP? I am not convinced.

Gloat about ViP status all you want - it certainly doesn't raise you above those who rip others for being ViP. If anything, it just makes many of us enjoy the forums for riposte for the silliness of both sides wanting the same effing thing - a better DDO. Oh, and may the Ghostbane go with you.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post

Because it takes so much thought to hit the hotkey for the store, click the new content which is invariably on the front page, and buy it.
    If I may respond in his place - no, because it is simply dirt cheap to be VIP. I mean, I am from post soviet country and our economics isnt exactly strong, but even I would be able to pay VIP from my pocketmoney back when I was 15. (Not that there was any DDO back then). And anyone who is actually doing any job (at least in my country) will barely notice that little sum of pocketcash that is VIP. Well, unless he has much bigger problems with cash.
    And since its that cheap and he wants this game to prosper, he pays VIP. Makes sense to me.
    I would do the same, but I know myself - I would feel the need to play more if I would do that. So I am premium, I propably burned much, much more money in DDO then I would burn as a VIP, but hey.... At least I spend my time even outside of DDO :-).

That said, VIP is definitely (unless you have weak will as I do) a better deal then Premium, unless you want to run some form of hamster wheel.

And ofc, may the Ghostbane guards your path.
    Last edited by viktorserak; 11-11-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Ghostbane was missing

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Because it takes so much thought to hit the hotkey for the store, click the new content which is invariably on the front page, and buy it.
    I'm sorry. Did I unknowingly rattle your cage? What thought I wish to apply to any given situation is mine to determine. What you do with your time is up to you. Let's keep it that way.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

1) Complain about players being VIP because there haters.
    2) Trying in vain over and over again to petition VIP members to not be VIP because they hate Turbine.
    >>> They hate Turbine but they still play? Explain that...
    3) Some even try to break down every penny in order to try and get VIP members to go F2P or premium.
    Point 1 - Call people complainers and haters
    Point 2 - Use the word hate two more times in case point one too subtle
    Point 3 - Start a sentence "Some even try" so you can make any outrageous claim

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Congratulations on taking a positive thread and
    Positive?!?!?!? The OP was nothing more than a juvenile smack-talk post.

Turbine has figured out one of the few things that would make me consider VIP. If VIPs get to twist epic destinies, I think I could maybe find $9.99 a month to TR in demi-god mode. If you're going to pay to win... get your moneys worth!

Default The best reason why neither payment model is the best

Every now and then there are players who claim that if someone plays DDO longer than x months it's more sensible to go premium rather than subscribe, players who claim that anyone who doesn't have a subscription is a cheapskate, and players who claim that anyone who pays any amount at all is doing it wrong.

If that were true Turbine would long have abandoned the "three payment types" model long ago as a failure, so the fact that all three still exist implies that the combination of the three is the best way to keep the game alive.

Free to play is, of course, not really a payment model, but it draws new players to the game. I think that the vast majority of players who joined since f2p was introduced start free before they decide whether they like DDO or not, and the vast majority of the players who decide to stay will go for a Premium or VIP account eventually. For those players free to play is DDO's demo version. There is probably also a minority that will stay free to play, but I guess it's either because they really cannot afford to pay anything, or because they think "This game claims to be free to play. Challenge accepted!" For the latter it is probably part of the game to try and see how much they can unlock without paying anything.

Premium is DDO's a la carte payment model - you buy an amount of Turbine Points when you feel like it, and you spend it on whatever you want, whenever you want. Some subscribers seem to believe that premium is for those who are too cheap to subscribe, but that is not necessarily true.

I went premium after about half a year of playing for free. It took about a year until I had all adventure packs that were available at that time, and after that I started buying additional character slots, races/classes, and new adventure packs and the expansions as they became available. I think in total I've spent about as much as a VIP who bought the expansions but doesn't buy TP above his subscription, with the result that I have access to the same variety of races, classes, and quests. What was important to me was that I don't have to pay a monthly fee or else revert to little more than free status (DDO is my first MMO, so the concept of renting a computer game didn't appeal to me), and I willingly accepted the downsides.

Of course there are premium players who spend less – maybe they cannot afford to buy TP whenever they want, so they go for a mix of buying TP and farming favor. Or maybe they just do not want to spend more than x amount of money on a computer game. But the argument that some VIPs seem to like to use (“those who don't subscribe don't support the game”) is invalid, as these people pay to play the game. The fact that they order a regular meal instead of a three course meal doesn't mean they want to shut down the restaurant, it just means they don't want the hors d'oeuvre and the dessert.

And of course having a premium account doesn't mean you can't buy full sets of +4 tomes or enough Otto's boxes and xp pots skip all lives to completionist.

VIP, I think, is all about convenience – as a subscriber there's no need to check if you can run a particular quest, and you don't have to worry about finding an opener if you want to keep up an elite streak on your newest character. Of course there are the expansions, which cost extra, but afaik they can be bought in the DDO store with the monthly TP that are part of the subscription. And of course there are the extra benefits like higher movement speed in public areas and an extra 10% xp bonus, but I can't judge how good they are as I've never had a VIP account (although a friend of mine who does kept mentioning for a while how he loves the 10% xp bonus, so it must be good ).

And of course I think there's a variety of VIPs just like there's a variety of premium players – some just buy the basic subscription while other go “all in” and buy TP to get ability tomes, Otto's boxes etc.

I think most people who complain about (or make fun of) other players' account types are those who are unhappy with their own choice without wanting to admit it to themselves, be it premium players who wish they could open quests on all difficulties on their many lowbie alts, long-time VIPs who only play a handful of multi-TRs, or anybody else who cannot get what the “other” side has without an additional investment.

In the end everyone invests time in DDO, and the vast majority invests money as well, and I fail to see how either can be bad for the game. Also, no type of account means guaranteed continued income for Turbine – regardless of whether I buy 5000 TP or subscribe for a year, neither is a guarantee that I will ever spend any more money on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Any similarities to you?
    No, I think Turbine puts a lot into DDO so your reference is baseless in my opinion.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Ever wonder why epic Gianthold was the most well received content in the past 2-3 years? Because the content built in the first two years of this games design was built when the quality of said content itself was the driving force behind enticing people to pay to support the game. When said content was revisited, it handedly was demonstrated by how well received it was that it is hand and a half above the rest of the stuff created more recently, in an era where the game is now designed around enticing people to make store purchases. More people are itching for epic shroud / TOD / abbot titan etc...than the new stuff with its generic ghostbaned loot and 5k mana drain mechanics.
    I liked GH and epic GH before the launch of FR it was by far in my opinion the best package in the game. However when FR was introduced nothing in my opinion has ever came close. I don't care for the uber loot gear that is dropping everywhere but the quests themselves are very nice in FR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    I am sure you didn't mean that part of the enjoyment of being ViP was ripping on those who make fun of you being ViP. And I am sure plenty of ViPs do care how premium players spend their dollars and how f2p players are attracted to the game and then converted into premium, or, even ViP.

I think from Glin's comments on the recent "Ask the Devs" wherein it appears the Powers That Be don't always look at the numbers - is a bit concerning. Certainly, as Lead Producer, I would be concerned as much with what drives people to cancel their ViP status as much as what draws people to sub. DDO, however, for a long time, seemed to not care about ViPs - plenty apparent from the ViP whining here are the boards. Since then ViPs received a few extra perks, like a movement bonus. Is it enough? I don't know - has DDO decided to really entice people back to ViP? I am not convinced..
    Yes it does amuse me the way f2p and premium players try to ripe on VIP players and that was my intent. I also remember when VIP members used to complain heavily about what they got and that they should get more. I for one was never one of those players as I think that playing the game was always enough for me as a perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Point 1 - Call people complainers and haters
    Point 2 - Use the word hate two more times in case point one too subtle
    Point 3 - Start a sentence "Some even try" so you can make any outrageous claim

Positive?!?!?!? The OP was nothing more than a juvenile smack-talk post.

Turbine has figured out one of the few things that would make me consider VIP. If VIPs get to twist epic destinies, I think I could maybe find $9.99 a month to TR in demi-god mode. If you're going to pay to win... get your moneys worth!
    I know that you were trying to make some point but failed miserably. Try agin maybe your second post will work and try to be more educated and not insult people.

Yes it does amuse me the way f2p and premium players try to ripe on VIP players and that was my intent. I also remember when VIP members used to complain heavily about what they got and that they should get more. I for one was never one of those players as I think that playing the game was always enough for me as a perk.
    I am not ripping on anyone. We can each make our own decision on what the best method is for each of us.

Like I have said numerous times, I switched form VIP as a matter of principal. Sure Turbine might not miss my $15/month, but for me it was because my concerns were not being met. Of course it is a good game, but I refused to give them money by nerfing my characters when it was not needed. As small as a stand that it was, I did it for me and have never told anyone else that they should or have to follow.

What does make me scratch my head is when the VIP and people that spend a ton on TP keep coming here complaining that Turbine should do this or that. Whether it be wanting perma bans for some or complaining at any other aspect even if it is complaining about complainers. As long as you keep paying, Turbine could give a damn about what you have to say. As long as you “blindly throw money” nothing will change. WB will get their cut and all is good. If people really want to make a change they need to do it with their wallet and not their rants here.

That is what I find funny about the thread. “Turbine I am very upset that you are not banning more people, but shut up and take my money”. “Turbine I am very upset that people are using ED’s on lowbies, but take my money”. I just sit and laugh whenever I see some fatcat come here and cry that they deserve this and that because they are spending a lot. These people need to quit ranting on the forums and start closing their wallet if they want to be taken serious.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I am not ripping on anyone. We can each make our own decision on what the best method is for each of us.

Like I have said numerous times, I switched form VIP as a matter of principal. Sure Turbine might not miss my $15/month, but for me it was because my concerns were not being met. Of course it is a good game, but I refused to give them money by nerfing my characters when it was not needed. As small as a stand that it was, I did it for me and have never told anyone else that they should or have to follow.

What does make me scratch my head is when the VIP and people that spend a ton on TP keep coming here complaining that Turbine should do this or that. Whether it be wanting perma bans for some or complaining at any other aspect even if it is complaining about complainers. As long as you keep paying, Turbine could give a damn about what you have to say. As long as you “blindly throw money” nothing will change. WB will get their cut and all is good. If people really want to make a change they need to do it with their wallet and not their rants here.

That is what I find funny about the thread. “Turbine I am very upset that you are not banning more people, but shut up and take my money”. “Turbine I am very upset that people are using ED’s on lowbies, but take my money”. I just sit and laugh whenever I see some fatcat come here and cry that they deserve this and that because they are spending a lot. These people need to quit ranting on the forums and start closing their wallet if they want to be taken serious.
    Yeah right? Turbine will just take their money smile then turn around and take the money of the people that the others are complaining about. They are at no risk of losing the complainers $ so why should they risk losing some extra $ from the people the complainers want gone?

Besides all of the great benefits that a VIP get that those of us that are VIP are aware of I enjoy players that do the following:

2) Trying in vain over and over again to petition VIP members to not be VIP because they hate Turbine.
    3) Some even try to break down every penny in order to try and get VIP members to go F2P or premium.

You see VIP members could care less how you want to spend your money but F2P and premium players sure seem to go the extended mile to tell VIPs how to spend theirs.
    So the best reason to be VIP is to feel superior to others? That was never a reason I would do it. Some of the other benefits are almost convincing me, but not that one, sorry.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    So the best reason to be VIP is to feel superior to others? That was never a reason I would do it. Some of the other benefits are almost convincing me, but not that one, sorry.
    Some people would sacrifice their first born if it would help make them feel superior to others......

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I don't understand the superiority, or the 'taking pride in spending money'. It's like taking pride in the fact that you rent a big screen TV from rent a center, and are happy to give them money every week because you like that they have a store... I don't get it. I would just buy the TV, and I wouldn't give it a second thought. *shrugs*

My two reasons for going VIP were:

1)open elite on first lifers

2) Lots of people were telling everyone that nobody shuld be VIP, so i decided to go VIP out of spite.

The second reason was actually the turning point. I hate being told what to do, and tend to do the opposite.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Besides all of the great benefits that a VIP get that those of us that are VIP are aware of I enjoy players that do the following:

I'm a VIP, and this post doesn't speak for me.

I've never had anyone tell me how to spend my money on this game - although I've seen some very good advice about comparative costs.

I went VIP for the elite unlocks (after I'd already bought a lot of the content) and stayed for the +10% XP bonus.

I didn't go VIP in order to start fights with people who aren't VIPs. They're still customers, regardless of their payment plan. Even totally free-to-play people are contributing by being part of the questing community.

OP, please knock it off, you're not helping anyone here.

I like VIP.

I like DDO.

I don't like EVERYTHING abut DDO, but there is plenty for me to feel okay about sepnding $10 a month on it. Plenty.

Also, the 500TP per month is give or take about $3, so my VIP account is really only $7 a month.

Things you DON'T get as premium with ALL content:
    How many XP pots would it take for someone to run 100% of the time at +10%xp?
    I get a gold roll once per week per server. Not a big deal, but nice.
    Open on elite.
    Don't have to mess with Challenge Tokens.
    +10% run speed in town (yeah I know, big whoop lol)

Probably more, but for me between the CONVENIENCE, open on elite and 10% bonus xp it's worth it.

Community Member

$100/year for VIP is very cheap entertainment.

If the game was bad people would leave. The game isn't perfect - nothing is.

Turbine provides a great setting for me to spend time with friends. The bugs/nerfs/changes that completely ruin the game for others has almost no impact on me except I have to read about it on the forums.

Some people are never happy or satisfied period. It doesn't matter what Turbine does or doesn't do - it will never be good enough for them.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    I'm VIP because I enjoy the game and want to support it as long as I still enjoy it.
    I couldn't care less if I could save some money by going Premium.
    If it helps Turbine running this game longer I gladly pay some more.

Compared to other things I spend my money on it's not much money anyway, considering how much I play DDO
    Could not have said it better ^^
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast