Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Best Reason To Be VIP

Besides all of the great benefits that a VIP get that those of us that are VIP are aware of I enjoy players that do the following:

1) Complain about players being VIP because there haters.
    2) Trying in vain over and over again to petition VIP members to not be VIP because they hate Turbine.
    >>> They hate Turbine but they still play? Explain that...
    3) Some even try to break down every penny in order to try and get VIP members to go F2P or premium.

You see VIP members could care less how you want to spend your money but F2P and premium players sure seem to go the extended mile to tell VIPs how to spend theirs.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

I'm VIP because I enjoy the game and want to support it as long as I still enjoy it.
    I couldn't care less if I could save some money by going Premium.
    If it helps Turbine running this game longer I gladly pay some more.

Compared to other things I spend my money on it's not much money anyway, considering how much I play DDO
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Besides all of the great benefits that a VIP get that those of us that are VIP are aware of I enjoy players that do the following:

1) Complain about players being VIP because there haters.
    2) Trying in vain over and over again to petition VIP members to not be VIP because they hate Turbine.
    >>> They hate Turbine but they still play? Explain that...
    3) Some even try to break down every penny in order to try and get VIP members to go F2P or premium.

You see VIP members could care less how you want to spend your money but F2P and premium players sure seem to go the extended mile to tell VIPs how to spend theirs.
    Cool story bro.

There was an old pizza shop in town that had the best pizza ever. The owner sold the business to new management and the quality went down. It was edible, but it was nowhere near as good as it once was. The wife and I decided to spend our money elsewhere.

Any similarities to you? Spend to your heart’s content for all I care. Pay to support a game that puts very little back into the game. I promise that I will not belittle you for doing so. I am not that guy that claims to be a billionaire, but I have a good life and can afford to toss decent amounts of cash at entertainment. It is by choice that I decide not to. Also, to me, personal opinion me, I love this game, but I will not continue to financially support a game that does not address my concerns. Before the fanboi’s jump on the entitled trip, I can be that guy. Like any business out there EARN my money and you will get it.

Believe me I love this game and will continue to play (not pay), until Turbine address the concerns. Call me a scrooge or a jerk, you do not improve the game by blindly throwing money at wild gimmicks and schemes.
    Last edited by Vint; 11-11-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    Cool story bro.

There was an old pizza shop in town that had the best pizza ever. The owner sold the business to new management and the quality went down. It was edible, but it was nowhere near as good as it once was. The wife and I decided to spend our money elsewhere.

Any similarities to you? Spend to your heart’s content for all I care. Pay to support a game that puts very little back into the game. I promise that I will not belittle you for doing so. I am not that guy that claims to be a billionaire, but I have a good life and can afford to toss decent amounts of cash at entertainment. It is by choice that I decide not to. Also, to me, personal opinion me, I love this game, but I will not continue to financially support a game that does not address my concerns. Before the fanboi’s jump on the entitled trip, I can be that guy. Like any business out there EARN my money and you will get it.

Believe me I love this game and will continue to play (not pay), until Turbine address the concerns. Call me a scrooge or a jerk, you do not improve the game by blindly throwing money at wild gimmicks and schemes.
    Congratulations on taking a positive thread and doing exactly what was mentioned in the OP. List of reasons why YOU don't want to be a VIP. Fantastic, you don't like the direction...cool...you mentioned that in the thread about NOT being VIP...a couple times.

Don't spend your money for all I care. Don't pay to support a game that I still enjoy and have zero beefs with. I promise I will not belittle you for doing so. Also, to me, personal opinion to me, I love this game. I and I will continue to finacially support a game that meets my expectations and in most cases, exceeds them. Before the d00msayers and haters jump on their bullying trip, I cn be that guy. Like any business I support, Turbine has EARNED my money and they will get it.

Believe me, I love this game, and will continue to play AND pay, as Turbine has addressed the only concerns I had. Call me blind or a fanboi, but Turbine has made a better game for me and many others like me.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

The best reason: Because I understand that while it's a game for me, it's a business for them. Being VIP and supporting it helps keep the doors open. All those people writing posts about how not to pay turbine money forces marketing to get more and more extreme about how to make Turbine money to keep it all going. And then there is yet more 'pay to win' drama. Which is pointless, as the only 'win' you have is having fun, but whatever.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Arguing in absolutes is hilarious, and those who do this usually fail to understand the majority of any given situation. When thinking in terms of degree, its not hard to understand that a customer who has been loyal for most of the years the company has been in business sees the product slipping and provides feedback on what they see could be improved to make them want to continue to financially support the product, without that same customer being a 100% hater and having to label them as such.

Ever wonder why epic Gianthold was the most well received content in the past 2-3 years? Because the content built in the first two years of this games design was built when the quality of said content itself was the driving force behind enticing people to pay to support the game. When said content was revisited, it handedly was demonstrated by how well received it was that it is hand and a half above the rest of the stuff created more recently, in an era where the game is now designed around enticing people to make store purchases. More people are itching for epic shroud / TOD / abbot titan etc...than the new stuff with its generic ghostbaned loot and 5k mana drain mechanics.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Default Best reason why I sat VIP

I don't have to worry about having or not having any particular part of the game. Just give me everything as it comes. No worries no drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    To repeat what has already been said (numerous times, including once already in this thread): The DDO team is made up of a wide diversity of players, covering just about the entire spectrum of the player base. We have some that I believe would self-identify and in general be considered hardcore, others who are more casual. Some who are into the role play part of the game, some who have played permadeath, many who have spent time and effort acquiring gear and such. They bring both their professional and personal opinions to the decision-making process (in meetings, etc.) It's a good thing! Finally, I'm not at all embarrassed about how I play, not sure where you'd get that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
    I don't have to worry about having or not having any particular part of the game. Just give me everything as it comes. No worries no drama.
    Yep. It's a convenience thing for me. And $8.25 a month is, in my case, peanuts.

It was worth every penny while I was working on my completionist, and once I'm done getting my alts TR'ed and into Epic levels, I can always drop the VIP and use all those banked TPs to buy whatever packs I want. Or stay VIP.

I ran with a guy a while back that had to stop running with me to go run favor for many hours, maybe even days, to buy the next pack. I think the pack was on sale for 495tp which is what, $3 cash value? I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. I'm sorry, but doing something pointless for several hours to save $3 is not a good use of time. I'd rather spend my ingame time playing what I want to play, not running around doing virtual errands for favor.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    If it helps Turbine running this game longer I gladly pay some more.
    It certainly helps them. Why don't you go ahead and buy some subscriptions for your guildies/friends/relatives or... anyone, really, whether s/he plays the game (as non-VIP) or s/he will never set foot on Stormreach... Turbine will get moar money this way. Just an idea... Or... idk, buy TPs for yourself that you're never going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I'd rather spend my ingame time playing what I want to play, not running around doing virtual errands for favor.
    Well, many premium players play exactly this way, it's not really a VIP feature... Not everyone farms for favor.
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Cool story bro.

Do you still go eat their free samples every day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

VIP is actually a good deal for a lot of playstyles. Being able to join pretty much any group out there is pretty nice. Being able to open any difficulty is very nice. Being able to do that on your lowbie alts is nice. I'm a premium account myself, but I can see a lot of advantages to VIP. I think the change to VIP that give you 500 bonus TP per month really did a lot to sweeten the deal.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Do you still go eat their free samples every day?
    Terrible analogies are terrible, Thrudh. The people who paid for adventure packs don't need you or anyone else trying to make us feel guilty for playing content that we have already paid for.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Terrible analogies are terrible, Thrudh. The people who paid for adventure packs don't need you or anyone else trying to make us feel guilty for playing content that we have already paid for.
    Already paid for? /nerf xp into the ground, fix 0ML loot that drops from it, and completely redesign any reason to farm tokens out of the game.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I like being a VIP because I don't like to think about much while I'm playing and DDO is the cheapest form of entertainment I have. Really, it's about 28 cents a day. As far as value per dollar spent, that's incredibly cheap. Sure, I find some bugs irritating, but man, 28 cents is not a lot to enjoy the other 99% of the game that does work, mostly. Maybe I'm just easily entertained...
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Schaden_freude View Post
    Pretty funny, coming from Mr. Absolute himself.
    Hardly. Ive been discussing impact of thread topics in terms of degree throughout my entire posting history. The absolutists are those who disagree citing some technicality as a blanket statement reason why whatever they are trying to justify this week is justifiable. It gets even more hilarious when I catch them waffling a few days later in another thread posting agreement to my very position on the topic in order to justify something completely different.

you do not improve the game by blindly throwing money at wild gimmicks and schemes.
    Cough - Shadowfail - Cough

There is some marketing executive patting himself on the back for saying at a meeting:
    "Forget adding Raids or even personnel for correcting bugs, heck we don't even need to tell them Exactly What Is In The Next 'Expansion'- just offer a winged pet cat and those guys will LITERALLY throw money at us."

Quote Originally Posted by Arnez View Post
    Cough - Shadowfail - Cough

There is some marketing executive patting himself on the back for saying at a meeting:
    "Forget adding Raids or even personnel for correcting bugs, heck we don't even need to tell them Exactly What Is In The Next 'Expansion'- just offer a winged pet cat and those guys will LITERALLY throw money at us."
    There are games that run on profits generated from those types of gimmicks and succeed. If that direction is where TUrbine wants to go with it they would have been better served starting from scratch and building a game that caters shamelessly to folks who play those types of games rather than transform DDO into that type of game.

Id also like to see the demographics for folks who bought the first expansion, which tier level etc -vs- the folks who bought this current expansion, which tier level etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    There are games that run on profits generated from those types of gimmicks and succeed. If that direction is where TUrbine wants to go with it they would have been better served starting from scratch and building a game that caters shamelessly to folks who play those types of games rather than transform DDO into that type of game.

Id also like to see the demographics for folks who bought the first expansion, which tier level etc -vs- the folks who bought this current expansion, which tier level etc.
    1st - max level with bonus TPs

2nd - max level with bonus TPs

I built a sorc for the first time after the second purchase, and walked around with my dragon for awhile. I got tired of him because he looked like everyone else's. I wish they sold dragon paint or something. Maybe even cosmetic clothing or armor for our pets or our Panther...lol

I also like the carefree way of just having everything and not buying it piecemeal on sale. It has been 3 years now...so I guess I did it wrong? But who cares.

I know planners and builds and blah blah blah is a huge part of the DnD community, but I have had no problem playing in a more casual/hardcore way where I just live with my mistakes on my characters, or use Fred, or TR and try to do better... or free LR20 thing we had...etc. I just like to hang out and play. Personally I feel like the control is fun killing for me... to build the exact character with exact stats, tomes, equipment is no fun for me. I like to figure out how to deal with whatever I have to work with and improve it where I discover or learn by playing that it could be better... more organic. VIP works good for that, access to everything, no need to plan very much...lol. But I do not mind that many enjoy the same game in an almost opposite manner...that is fine with me.

I like the faster run speed and the automatic 10% xp perk they added recently, I do not know if makes it worth it... but I like playing this way, and don't care about others buying choices.

It seems obvious to me that they have their reasons to offer us both.
    Jeremiiah - Isaiiah - Zephaniiah - Ghallanda - Old Timers Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Believe me, I love this game, and will continue to play AND pay, as Turbine has addressed the only concerns I had. Call me blind or a fanboi, but Turbine has made a better game for me and many others like me.
    How are you any different from Vint? Both of you would love to put money into the game they enjoy. One of you is having his concerns addressed and the other is not. That is the only difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I like being a VIP because I don't like to think about much while I'm playing and DDO is the cheapest form of entertainment I have.
    Because it takes so much thought to hit the hotkey for the store, click the new content which is invariably on the front page, and buy it.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

It amuses me how some people pretend to believe that p2p people are not paying to play the game...
    Chaeos of Argonessen, Human Rogue/Fighter
    Please re-break AC differently.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast