Community Member

Default Wsih list from Bartle Test Social 87, Explorer 80, Achiever 27, Killer 6

Ok, the Bartle test should give an idea of how I like to play and aspects I most enjoy. That said, my wish list is:

1. Add more dances, or just allow buying of dances of other races and sexes. If you just allow buying dances already made, you already have the coding the dance and would only need to apply them to the other races. I suspect this would be almost trivial coding. Suggested price 200tp per dance. Makes money for Turbine. Makes fun for players. It just does not fit dancing ballet when my dance partner is twerking.

2. Create two/multi player dances, like waltzes, conga lines, line dancing, ... I realize this would be a lot of code to move players to the proper positions smoothly and have them move in unison correctly but it would also require all involved to purchase the dance. Suggested price 200-300 tp per dance.

3. Create a library where players can submit player written poetry, stories, and songs. Turbine could even require the player to give partial co-ownership to the copyright for the material. Maybe 33% such that Turbine has the right to sell/license the material (but player would receive 2/3 share of sell price and royalties).

4. Give ability to buy/earn more backpack space and bank space. You could add the additional tabs along the sides and bottom of the inventory/bank area like they are currently on the top. This would allow if just bottom 120 additional inventory or 100 addition bank slots. If you allowed both sides too, that would increase to 360 and 340 additional respectively. So that people do not just take the free space (if earned), you can always make it where you can only earn so much and then must buy. Assuming you will only allow purchase of additional inventory slots, I suggest a price of 200 tp per additional tab.

5. Add player homes, maybe with safes where we can bank items. Allow us the ability to decorate them and invite friends in. Advantages to players, we get personal area. Advantages to Turbine, major cash cow, think Sims. Suggested cost 4000 tp including 6 room home with basic furnishings. Additional furnishing 50-1000tp depending on furnishing (divan 50, marble divan 100, sunken roman bath 1000, ...). Addition rooms 1000-2000tp depending on room size and placement.

6. Allow the TR bank to roll over so you do not need to pull everything out and put it on your person again when you TR. This would help with the inventory and bank situation so additional space would not be as important. A lot of use, save equipment for future lives or returning to a class we have already lived.

7. Finally create the spell component bags. Before it was annoying that over 1/2 a tab could be taken up by spell components but now with epic destinies you can have an additional 5 levels in several areas. This means if you are multiclassed you may need 30+ spell components. That is over a tab and 1/2. You have stated in the past that drawing things out of bags was a problem. That problem should have long since been resolved as you routinely draw ingredients from bags in Cannith, Green Steel, and other crafting systems. Use that type code, you have already developed it and it should only need minor tweaking. Advantages to players, less need for more inventory space. Advantages to Turbine, another bag to sell and in various sizes and stack sizes making more money and fewer requests for more storage.

8. Create a DDO store item that would allow for either removal of Bound to Character (BtC) status changing a bound item to Bound to Character on Equip (BtCE) (can only be done on unequipped item) or to Bound to Account (BtA). Many of the items being dropped now are either Bound to Character on Acquire (BtCA) or BtCE. This fills up inventories. It even fills up inventories if the player has no intention to use the item for the current life of the character (for BtCA). Creating a potion that will allow a BtC to be changed to BtCE will allow the player to save the item on a mule or even to sell the item (or you may add a flag for items previously equipped or crafted items to prevent their sale). Advantages to the players, less need for increased inventory and bank space. Advantages to Turbine, fewer complaints about inventory and bank space as well as additional revenue from sale of the item. If potion converts to BtCE, I suggest a cost of 100tp. If the potion converts to BtA, I suggest a cost of 200tp.

9. Move the Reroll Loot for Astral Shards to the top of a loot list next to the word Chest. On the Daily Dice roll, add a question if want to buy an additional roll if a player clicks on it and they do not have a free roll and make the default answer "No". On the inventory either remove the "offering to Onatar, god of the forge" and put it in the DDO store or move it to Details and add a question asking for verification of desire to purchase with the default answer "No". The placement of these two items has really made me angry. I lost a Bloodstone (even with its reduced value) in the Sands due to accidentally clicking on re-roll. I have re-rolled my Daily Dice by accident. I have given offerings to Onatar by accident. I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY MORE ASTRAL SHARDS BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO EASY TO SPEND BY ACCIDENT. The placement of your ways to spend astral shards just makes it obvious you care nothing about delivering a product your customers desire and only wish to generate revenue any way you can including by "stealing" (because of deliberate making it too easy to spend by accident) from your customers (the players).

10. Remove the purchase of Astral Shards from the main screen. If I want to buy Astral Shards I can bring up the DDO store (whenever you decide to make it possible to bring up the store again). This just makes you feel greedy and uncaring of your customers.

11. From the following information, I think you can tell I am not a player that just buys things with earned TP, so I am not asking what I feel is reasonable: I am a VIP player almost since I started playing the game and have also spent probably 1-2,000 dollars for TP. I have bought, I think, all the pets except for the ones with the Bigby's boxes ($45.00 for a virtual pet that I will only have out sometimes is too much, and I do not like some of the things in the box like the Level jump thing. I have abandoned one character because it used that item when they first appeared. I no longer feel linked to the character). I have over 40 cosmetic armor kits and a few head gears (do not like most of them). I have maximum shared bank slots and pp depositing. I pre purchased both Expansions even though I really think they should have been included with my VIP status based on the agreement included with my joining (access to all content if VIP). And many other TP purchases.

Hi Welcome

Most of your ideas are just things you personally would like, so I'll stick to primarily addressing the suggestions that don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TalieNeEllyll View Post
    3. Create a library where players can submit player written poetry, stories, and songs. Turbine could even require the player to give partial co-ownership to the copyright for the material. Maybe 33% such that Turbine has the right to sell/license the material (but player would receive 2/3 share of sell price and royalties).
    Unnecessary and a waste of Turbine's time. If you want to post fan-made content, post it either here on on an independently operated fan website. No in-game functionality is needed.

6. Allow the TR bank to roll over so you do not need to pull everything out and put it on your person again when you TR. This would help with the inventory and bank situation so additional space would not be as important. A lot of use, save equipment for future lives or returning to a class we have already lived.
    Ridiculous and nonsensical. The amount of memory such a thing would take up, and the amount of lag loading your stupidly large cache would generate, is massive. With the possibility of adding 200 or so items to your permanent TR cache every time you TR, a lazy or hoarding player would quickly end up with an absurd amount of items. I agree, they should add more inventory and/or bank space, but they definitely should not (and will never) do this.

8. Create a DDO store item that would allow for either removal of Bound to Character (BtC) status changing a bound item to Bound to Character on Equip (BtCE) (can only be done on unequipped item) or to Bound to Account (BtA). Many of the items being dropped now are either Bound to Character on Acquire (BtCA) or BtCE. This fills up inventories. It even fills up inventories if the player has no intention to use the item for the current life of the character (for BtCA). Creating a potion that will allow a BtC to be changed to BtCE will allow the player to save the item on a mule or even to sell the item (or you may add a flag for items previously equipped or crafted items to prevent their sale). Advantages to the players, less need for increased inventory and bank space. Advantages to Turbine, fewer complaints about inventory and bank space as well as additional revenue from sale of the item. If potion converts to BtCE, I suggest a cost of 100tp. If the potion converts to BtA, I suggest a cost of 200tp.
    Another terrible idea, especially regarding changing items to BTCoE. Most non raid content is either BTCoE or unbound already, so the goal of this seems to be allowing players to sell raid loot, which is a terrible idea. P2W can already take you pretty far, but this would be a change that would make absolutely no sense in any way. If people want raid loot, let them run the raids. Don't make the items able to be made unbound so some enterprising scumbag can post (and successfully sell) them to wallet warriors for a stupid amount of astral shards.

11. From the following information, I think you can tell I am not a player that just buys things with earned TP, so I am not asking what I feel is reasonable: I am a VIP player almost since I started playing the game and have also spent probably 1-2,000 dollars for TP, etc, etc...
    Sorry, but spending a lot more money than the average player doesn't give your terrible suggestions any more weight.

I'm sure I come across as harsh and overly critical, but I really don't think this game will be improved by people posting lengthy, rambling lists about what they personally would like. Especially when they don't consider the cons of said "suggestions".
    Cannith: Capricorpus (triple all heroic/iconic/epic past lives, no stones) / Capiorcorpus / Capicorpus / Capricopus / Iconless the Hero

Community Member

Answers in BOLD

Ok, the Bartle test should give an idea of how I like to play and aspects I most enjoy. That said, my wish list is:

1. Add more dances, or just allow buying of dances of other races and sexes. If you just allow buying dances already made, you already have the coding the dance and would only need to apply them to the other races. I suspect this would be almost trivial coding. Suggested price 200tp per dance. Makes money for Turbine. Makes fun for players. It just does not fit dancing ballet when my dance partner is twerking.

Waste of dev time. No one would buy it except you.

2. Create two/multi player dances, like waltzes, conga lines, line dancing, ... I realize this would be a lot of code to move players to the proper positions smoothly and have them move in unison correctly but it would also require all involved to purchase the dance. Suggested price 200-300 tp per dance.

Even more of a waste of time. At least the other one would be a low amount of time. No one would buy this junk.

What?

4. Give ability to buy/earn more backpack space and bank space. You could add the additional tabs along the sides and bottom of the inventory/bank area like they are currently on the top. This would allow if just bottom 120 additional inventory or 100 addition bank slots. If you allowed both sides too, that would increase to 360 and 340 additional respectively. So that people do not just take the free space (if earned), you can always make it where you can only earn so much and then must buy. Assuming you will only allow purchase of additional inventory slots, I suggest a price of 200 tp per additional tab.
    Finally, something that isn't a bad idea, we need more space. SIGNED.

5. Add player homes, maybe with safes where we can bank items. Allow us the ability to decorate them and invite friends in. Advantages to players, we get personal area. Advantages to Turbine, major cash cow, think Sims. Suggested cost 4000 tp including 6 room home with basic furnishings. Additional furnishing 50-1000tp depending on furnishing (divan 50, marble divan 100, sunken roman bath 1000, ...). Addition rooms 1000-2000tp depending on room size and placement.

I'm okay with this. I know some people would buy it.

This would generate a lot of lag and if they made MORE space available, this wouldn't be necessary. If they don't make more space, this is, I guess, and back-*** way of doing it that I could support.

7. Finally create the spell component bags. Before it was annoying that over 1/2 a tab could be taken up by spell components but now with epic destinies you can have an additional 5 levels in several areas. This means if you are multiclassed you may need 30+ spell components. That is over a tab and 1/2. You have stated in the past that drawing things out of bags was a problem. That problem should have long since been resolved as you routinely draw ingredients from bags in Cannith, Green Steel, and other crafting systems. Use that type code, you have already developed it and it should only need minor tweaking. Advantages to players, less need for more inventory space. Advantages to Turbine, another bag to sell and in various sizes and stack sizes making more money and fewer requests for more storage.

Sure, why not?

No. I'm tired of this ****. Make stuff unbound. The idea of "account items" and "character items" hurts my brain to begin with - there's no sense behind it at all, and I don't support a crazycomplicated system to try and make it slightly less dumb.

9. Move the Reroll Loot for Astral Shards to the top of a loot list next to the word Chest. On the Daily Dice roll, add a question if want to buy an additional roll if a player clicks on it and they do not have a free roll and make the default answer "No". On the inventory either remove the "offering to Onatar, god of the forge" and put it in the DDO store or move it to Details and add a question asking for verification of desire to purchase with the default answer "No". The placement of these two items has really made me angry. I lost a Bloodstone (even with its reduced value) in the Sands due to accidentally clicking on re-roll. I have re-rolled my Daily Dice by accident. I have given offerings to Onatar by accident. I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY MORE ASTRAL SHARDS BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO EASY TO SPEND BY ACCIDENT. The placement of your ways to spend astral shards just makes it obvious you care nothing about delivering a product your customers desire and only wish to generate revenue any way you can including by "stealing" (because of deliberate making it too easy to spend by accident) from your customers (the players).

Agreed. The reroll loot button needs to move.

10. Remove the purchase of Astral Shards from the main screen. If I want to buy Astral Shards I can bring up the DDO store (whenever you decide to make it possible to bring up the store again). This just makes you feel greedy and uncaring of your customers.

I don't really find this annoying.

11. From the following information, I think you can tell I am not a player that just buys things with earned TP, so I am not asking what I feel is reasonable: I am a VIP player almost since I started playing the game and have also spent probably 1-2,000 dollars for TP. I have bought, I think, all the pets except for the ones with the Bigby's boxes ($45.00 for a virtual pet that I will only have out sometimes is too much, and I do not like some of the things in the box like the Level jump thing. I have abandoned one character because it used that item when they first appeared. I no longer feel linked to the character). I have over 40 cosmetic armor kits and a few head gears (do not like most of them). I have maximum shared bank slots and pp depositing. I pre purchased both Expansions even though I really think they should have been included with my VIP status based on the agreement included with my joining (access to all content if VIP). And many other TP purchases.

Great? This isn't a suggestion or a wish list, it's your saying "I spent money so listen to me."

Community Member

I apologize if it came off that I am saying I spend money so listen to me. I know a lot of players do not contribute (some even bragging of not wasting money on a game they play all the time) but want everything. I was wanting to show I am not like that. That I do spend money and will probably continue to (except for Astral Shards until that is changed), but I would like and feel others that prefer the more social aspects of the game may like these types of things and would spend money on them. I know a lot of people that would be willing to pay for dances. I also know a lot of people that would like to have homes they could decorate and invite friends into.

There are many different types of players. I personally almost never, except for shroud runs, join a group that I do not know at least 1 or 2 people in it as friends. I usually pop in, check for friends, if I see some, I stay, if not I quit and check back later.

The items about storage, except the TR bank, I mostly have heard from others complaining in group chat and went, "Yes, you are right. I want that too." Being on the social end, our chats often use far more time than quests. Indeed some quests we have run so many times, we do not even stop what we are talking about and run the quests almost on auto pilot. You enter an area and are already swinging your weapon, killing the creature as it is still appearing, ho hum, boring.

Except that it would probably be beyond the capabilities of the programmers I would actually ask for the quests to be dynamic. Changing where everything is. Making the creatures intelligent. Having them set up ambushes designed based on party make up. Have them hitting the party from 3 or 4 sides at once or maybe doing brief attacks acting as bait and then falling back, pulling the fighters into a trap while suddenly attack the rear specifically targetting healers, then other spell casters. All dynamic so you would never know where things would happen. Imagine almost every creature in say Rainbow attacking as the party is jumping across the pillars. It would make for a much more interesting game. Alas the AI would be extremely hard to write and I fear beyond the abilities of those working for Turbine. Possibly even beyond the abilities of the hardware should it be written.

As to selling raid items, I had never considered it. I have given items away to friends but my selling is almost exclusively to Vendors and Brokers. With the exception of Greater Essences and items that are immediately deconstructed to get a blank for crafting I have not used the Auction house for a very long time. I craft almost all my equipment now. I really could not care if someone sells items on the Auction House for lots of platinum or Astral Shards. If someone wants to spend real money to buy something they will probably only use for a few days or weeks, that is their choice. If DDO wants to limit such activity, they can simply put a flag allowing only selling the item to a vendor and/or another flag to limit it to be shared amongst characters on that account. I just do not like constantly discarding items I would really like to use but not in the characters current life and there is not space to save all the items for future lives.

As to the lag caused by loading a TR bank, I would think that would only occur when at the bank. It should not affect any other time. Further I suspect every item in the game is cataloged in a relational database with most references to it via a pointer. This reduces the amount of actual information stored in the TR bank records to little more than a variable length array of pointers of no more than 6 bites (will handle 281 TRILLION unique items) and more likely 4 bites (4 BILLION unique items). That said a TR bank with 500 items would take up at most 3000 bites of disk space. I realize that most programmers are not allowed to design there own data storage and such things are usually done with relational databases with all the overhead generic programs have by there very nature. Further they are almost always written in very bloated compiled languages with the current generations being the most bloated. However even under those circumstances accessing the information should not require much more processor time nor bandwidth. Allowing for solid state drive use, a nominal input output rate of 80,000 per second is to be expected. Since this is presumably a relational database that would yield, I am guessing about 5000 records read/written per second. I do not know the number of DDO users at any one time, but I really doubt it exceeds that number, so delay excluding collisions on the internet requiring retransmissions, slow nodes and network segments, and Turbine's and your personal equipment, screen updates of inventory and bank information should be within acceptable time limits.

Community Member

I apologize if it came off that I am saying I spend money so listen to me. I know a lot of players do not contribute (some even bragging of not wasting money on a game they play all the time) but want everything. I was wanting to show I am not like that. That I do spend money and will probably continue to (except for Astral Shards until that is changed), but I would like and feel others that prefer the more social aspects of the game may like these types of things and would spend money on them. I know a lot of people that would be willing to pay for dances. I also know a lot of people that would like to have homes they could decorate and invite friends into.

There are many different types of players. I personally almost never, except for shroud runs, join a group that I do not know at least 1 or 2 people in it as friends. I usually pop in, check for friends, if I see some, I stay, if not I quit and check back later.

The items about storage, except the TR bank, I mostly have heard from others complaining in group chat and went, "Yes, you are right. I want that too." Being on the social end, our chats often use far more time than quests. Indeed some quests we have run so many times, we do not even stop what we are talking about and run the quests almost on auto pilot. You enter an area and are already swinging your weapon, killing the creature as it is still appearing, ho hum, boring.

Except that it would probably be beyond the capabilities of the programmers I would actually ask for the quests to be dynamic. Changing where everything is. Making the creatures intelligent. Having them set up ambushes designed based on party make up. Have them hitting the party from 3 or 4 sides at once or maybe doing brief attacks acting as bait and then falling back, pulling the fighters into a trap while suddenly attack the rear specifically targetting healers, then other spell casters. All dynamic so you would never know where things would happen. Imagine almost every creature in say Rainbow attacking as the party is jumping across the pillars. It would make for a much more interesting game. Alas the AI would be extremely hard to write and I fear beyond the abilities of those working for Turbine. Possibly even beyond the abilities of the hardware should it be written.

As to selling raid items, I had never considered it. I have given items away to friends but my selling is almost exclusively to Vendors and Brokers. With the exception of Greater Essences and items that are immediately deconstructed to get a blank for crafting I have not used the Auction house for a very long time. I craft almost all my equipment now. I really could not care if someone sells items on the Auction House for lots of platinum or Astral Shards. If someone wants to spend real money to buy something they will probably only use for a few days or weeks, that is their choice. If DDO wants to limit such activity, they can simply put a flag allowing only selling the item to a vendor and/or another flag to limit it to be shared amongst characters on that account. I just do not like constantly discarding items I would really like to use but not in the characters current life and there is not space to save all the items for future lives.

As to the lag caused by loading a TR bank, I would think that would only occur when at the bank. It should not affect any other time. Further I suspect every item in the game is cataloged in a relational database with most references to it via a pointer. This reduces the amount of actual information stored in the TR bank records to little more than a variable length array of pointers of no more than 6 bites (will handle 281 TRILLION unique items) and more likely 4 bites (4 BILLION unique items). That said a TR bank with 500 items would take up at most 3000 bites of disk space. I realize that most programmers are not allowed to design there own data storage and such things are usually done with relational databases with all the overhead generic programs have by there very nature. Further they are almost always written in very bloated compiled languages with the current generations being the most bloated. However even under those circumstances accessing the information should not require much more processor time nor bandwidth. Allowing for solid state drive use, a nominal input output rate of 80,000 per second is to be expected. Since this is presumably a relational database that would yield, I am guessing about 5000 records read/written per second. I do not know the number of DDO users at any one time, but I really doubt it exceeds that number, so delay excluding collisions on the internet requiring retransmissions, slow nodes and network segments, and Turbine's and your personal equipment, screen updates of inventory and bank information should be within acceptable time limits.
    Honestly, your post would have more well received had you left the dancing thing out or put it towards the middle. Never start or end on a weak argument, and the dancing stuff, people probably looked at the post and just said "yeah no"

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    Honestly, your post would have more well received had you left the dancing thing out or put it towards the middle. Never start or end on a weak argument, and the dancing stuff, people probably looked at the post and just said "yeah no"
    I haven't heard of the "Bartle" test, so the title and the first sentence already confuse me. It seems irrelevant for the rest of the post. Then without explanation there is a wish list (what do you want to achieve with this list?). The first point on the wish list os completely uninteresting. That's where I stopped reading. Within the first few sentences he gives me three reasons to stop reading, so why should I even bother to read the rest?
    Last edited by Forzah; 11-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.