2016 DDO Players Council

Default Add some excitement to looting chests

Greetings

I would like to suggest that adding *something* to make looting chests actually interesing again would be a good idea.
    As it stands right now I rarely even look at whats in the chest I just click loot all and move on.

For now I will limit my suggestion to Epic chests (raids and quests both). The idea could be expanded to heroic chests as well though.

Make a number of new "items" each which is akin to the Eveningstar key. That is - something with a clicky effect and a long recast timer. All of these would be minimum level 20 to use.

Examples:
    Effect +20 STR (of a type that stacks with everything else). Duration 10 min. Reuse time: 18 hours.
    Effect: Displacement. Duration 5 mins. Reuse time 18 hours.
    Effect: +20 reflex saves. Duration 5 mins. Reuse time 18 hours.
    Effect. Evasion. Duration 2 mins. Reuse time 18 hours
    Etc, etc.

Now add 1-3 such items to loot tables in Epic Sands, another 1-3 items to the loot tables in Epic GH, another 1-3 items to the loot tables in Demon Web quests / raids etc so that any particular item will only drop in a specific group of quests but never just in one quest.

Finally, make the drop rates tiny. This isnt something that you can just farm over a weekend or even something where you expect every player to have all or even most of these items. Make the drop rates 1:5000 for each chest in EN quests, 1:3000 for EH quests, 1:1000 for EE quests, 1:2000 for EN raids, 1:1000 for EH quests and 1:500 for EE raids. Keep in mind this is per chest and most quests/raids have multiple chests.

The last thing this game needs is clickies with a 18h timer that lasts less than a whole quest.

Nothxbye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Simply, bring back +4 tomes in lvl27+ chests, just like before shadowfail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Make chests "Bashable".

Remove gems.
    Professional Noob.

No...just...god no. The loot issue has been talked about. Feather has said that things are going to get better, he acknowledged that the current loot sucks (his exact words) and he's hoping the change will come first patch after U20 hits.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    The last thing this game needs is clickies with a 18h timer that lasts less than a whole quest.

Nothxbye.
    And the timers would probably all be sharing the same cooldown, like the eternal potions.

I don't know why the Devs won't revisit the eternal potion with the player feedback. The idea of eternal potions are sound, but the idea was dead in the water as soon as they shared the same timer. Remove the shared cooldown and adjust the timers if needed. The eternal potion is fixed so players will seek them in the future.

Community Member

I'd rather they added excitement to chests by adding very small chances for random CR appropriate mimics. That's just fun waiting to happen.

Also, I'd like to see mimic rest shrines and mimic levers. You can't have too many mimics.

I'd add 1 in 10 chance it blows up and kills everyone.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    I'd rather they added excitement to chests by adding very small chances for random CR appropriate mimics. That's just fun waiting to happen.

Also, I'd like to see mimic rest shrines and mimic levers. You can't have too many mimics.
    When the first Mimic appeared, I stated that Mimics should have a chance of appearing in any Xoriat based quest.

(Aside: Along the same line, I think the Chaos Orbs should be updated with the same properties as the new Wonder Potions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eilierie View Post
    I'd add 1 in 10 chance it blows up and kills everyone.
    +1 sir

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Hey, why not. These types of items could be fun. They would need to be exclusive though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Simply, bring back +4 tomes in lvl27+ chests, just like before shadowfail.
    Better yet, put tomes in chests at the minimum level that they can be used, meaning +4 tomes would be in chests level 15-18 and +5 tomes would be in level 19+ chests.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Add some excitement to looting chests
    Random Mimics, that loot buffs make stronger.
    Done.

Greetings

I would like to suggest that adding *something* to make looting chests actually interesing again would be a good idea.
    As it stands right now I rarely even look at whats in the chest I just click loot all and move on.

For now I will limit my suggestion to Epic chests (raids and quests both). The idea could be expanded to heroic chests as well though.

Make a number of new "items" each which is akin to the Eveningstar key. That is - something with a clicky effect and a long recast timer. All of these would be minimum level 20 to use.

Examples:
    Effect +20 STR (of a type that stacks with everything else). Duration 10 min. Reuse time: 18 hours.
    Effect: Displacement. Duration 5 mins. Reuse time 18 hours.
    Effect: +20 reflex saves. Duration 5 mins. Reuse time 18 hours.
    Effect. Evasion. Duration 2 mins. Reuse time 18 hours
    Etc, etc.

Now add 1-3 such items to loot tables in Epic Sands, another 1-3 items to the loot tables in Epic GH, another 1-3 items to the loot tables in Demon Web quests / raids etc so that any particular item will only drop in a specific group of quests but never just in one quest.

Finally, make the drop rates tiny. This isnt something that you can just farm over a weekend or even something where you expect every player to have all or even most of these items. Make the drop rates 1:5000 for each chest in EN quests, 1:3000 for EH quests, 1:1000 for EE quests, 1:2000 for EN raids, 1:1000 for EH quests and 1:500 for EE raids. Keep in mind this is per chest and most quests/raids have multiple chests.
    Other than what others have already covered, those drop rates would not make looting chests any more exciting, because no one would ever see them. Things that are not seen do not make people more excited to open a chest. See the original drop rate of the yellow dopant for some historical proof behind my statement.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Vendor trash.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 11-10-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers