Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Founder
    Enlightened Completionist

Arrow Marten's Shintao Quad-Master (36 Point Half Orc Light Monk Epic Build)

03-06-2011

Martens has evolved since my first post, so I felt it would be a good time to follow-up. I have TRed twice and now he is designed with Epics as the primary questing space in mind.

Focus:
    1) To Hit (Str, 48 maxed out (50 when I get +3 tomes). I want to hit most epic mobs on a 2 even with agro + Power Attack)
    2) Damage (Most damage with agro, an in your face smash-mouth HOrc Monk that can focus on using Holy/Greater Bane handwraps)
    3) Damage (Most damage possible from Special/Finishing Moves, Master Shintao, Grandmaster Earth, Grandmaster Sun, Master of Void)
    4) Damage other sources (High damage without agro)
    5) Hit Points (649 fully buffed)
    6) DCs
    7) Healing Amp

Not Focused on:
    1) Anything that lowers my to hit
    2) AC
    3) Dex (enough to get Greater Two Weapon Fighting)
    4) Situational Damage (must have vorpal strike)

This is Martens as he exists today:

Starting Stats:
    [36] Start+lvl (Geared/Sun unbuffed)
    STR 18 + 5 (39)$
    DEX 16 (24)%
    CON 16 (24)$ [499 HPs]
    INT 6 (10)$
    WIS 14 (21)$
    CHA 6 (14)$
    % +1 Tome
    $ +2 Tome

Feats:
    1 Two Weapon Fighting
    1 (monk) Toughness
    2 (monk) Power Attack
    3 (monk) Path of Harmonious Ballance
    3 Past Life: Monk
    6 Discipline, Cleave #
    6 (monk) Stunning Fist # (I use this a lot with trash mobs, including the range look stun)
    9 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    12 Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
    15 Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    18 Toughness
    # (Shintao Requirement)

Damage: 2d14+28
    To Hit: 36 (50 - 70 Fully Buffed and Situational)

Current Gear: (augment/upgrade) [Future]
    Garments of Equilibrium
    Epic Brawling Gloves (+6 Cha)
    Epic Cloak of Night {would love to have Epic slot here, Devs, nudge nudge}
    Epic Treasure Hunter's Spyglass (Toughness)
    Encrusted Ring (Shocking Burst)
    Kyosho's Ring (Holy Burst)
    Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Goggles of Earth
    Dread Admiral's Tricorne (+6 Seeker, 15 Balance)
    Epic Jidz-Tet'ka (+6 Dex, Exceptional +1 Dex)
    Knost's Belt
    Shintao Cord
    Madstone Boots
    Quiver of Alacrity of Ranged Alacrity, 10%

Main Wraps:
    +6 Epic Wraps of Endless Light
    +5 Holy Handwraps of Bleeding*!
    +5 Holy Handwraps of Greater Evil Outsider Bane@
    +5 Holy Handwraps of Greater Dragon Bane@
    +2 Holy Handwraps Of Stunning +10*!
    +2 Holy Handwraps of Smiting

Other Wraps of Note:
    +3 Holy Handwraps of Vampirism@
    +5 Holy Handwraps of Greater Monstrous Humanoid Bane@
    +5 Holy Handwraps of Aberration Bane*
    +3 Holy Handwraps of Greater Giant Bane*
    +1 Shock Handwraps of Greater Elemental Bane*
    +3 Icy Burst Handwraps of Greater Ooze Bane (Living Spells)
    +4 Holy Handwraps of Greater Orc Bane*
    +1 Frost Handwraps of Improved Destruction (for Marking)

7/26/2011 After my 20th ToD I now have all the gear I had on my wish list and with some good pulls, purchases and crafting I have all the Wraps. Until new content / items Martens is complete gear-wise.

* Icy Burst
    ! Force Ritual
    @ Crafted with Medium Guild Slot

Clickies:
    Morah's Belt - (Belt) Jump (CL:15, 3/3 Charges), Constitution +6, Tumble +15, Thief Acrobat Set Bonus [ML:18, BTC, Exclusive]
    Draconic Necklace - (Necklace) Greater Heroism (CL:11, 1/1)
    Constitution +6, Purple Dragon Knight [ML:18, BtC]
    Nyoko's Necklace - (Necklace) Invisibility (CL:15, 3/3)
    Robe of Shadow - Level 16 3 x 14 minute Nightshield
    Double Positive Greensteel Shuriken 1 x Resurrection
    Double Air Greensteel Shuriken 3 x Haste
    Charismatic +3 Crown of Rage 5 x Rage
    2 x Visor of the Flesh Render Guards 1 x Death Ward (7 mins)
    2 x Madstone Boots 1 x Madstone
    Phiarlan's Pendant of Time

Special Items:
    Pale Lavender Ioun Stone (Upgraded)
    Mantle of the Worldshaper
    Scarab of Spell Absorption (Disposable)
    Bracers of the Glacier (Fire Shield - Cold)
    Silver Flame Talisman (Fully Upgraded)

Potions:
    Essences of Fury (+2 Str Potion)
    Essences of Desire (+2 Con Potion)
    Essences of Despair (+2 Wis Potion)
    100 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
    100 Potions of Curse Removal
    50 Potions of Blindness Removal
    50 Potions of Lesser Restoration

ENHANCEMENTS:
    Capstone: Monk Serenity
    Enhancement: Orcish Strength II
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise II
    Enhancement: Fists of Iron
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery III
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk III
    Enhancement: Void Strike IV
    Enhancement: Master of Thunder
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of the Sun
    Enhancement: Master of Sea
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Improved Balance I
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
    Enhancement: Improved Jump II
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I

Skill DCs breakdowns: +1 Wis Ship Buff & +2 Wis Yug Pot
    Stunning fist: 10 base + 10 (20 monk/2) + 7 wis modifier + 10 weighted = 37 stunning fist
    Kukan-Do: 10 base + 20 (20 monk) + 2 cha modifier + 10 weighted = 42 stunning glare
    Quivering Palm: 10 base + 10 (20 monk/2) + 7 wis modifier = 27 instakill Quivering Palm
    Smite Tainted Creature (Crit), Dismissing Strike, Jade Strike and Tomb of Jade: 10 base + 20 (20 monk) + 7 wis modifier = 37

Specials:
    I can spam Void IV, Void III, Earth IV, Lightning III, Earth III, and Earth II as fast as the game will let me with no Ki issues.
    That means every 6 seconds I am out putting:
    8 - 32
    4 - 16
    16 -16
    2 - 20
    12 -12
    8 - 8
    -------
    50 - 104 Elemental Damage on top of my other damage.

Example with Epic Wraps of Endless Light:

Final note:
    Martens has become a recking-ball in epic content and short of an equally well geared Barb, I have met very few that can keep pace with my damage out put. He is fun to play and still able to switch gears to stunner or survivor modes with one click of gear change. On top of the DPS and best in class to hit, I average a dozen or more Void IV "epic poofs!" per quest. Few things are more sweet than to see a full health epic mob fade to purple

By adding +3 Holy Handwraps of Vampirism to my arsonal of wraps combined with Dragontouched Vestments with 10% and 20% healing amp with Epic Jidz-Tet'ka + Fire stance giving 25% healing amp and finally Monk Improved Recovery III giving 30% healing amp I can heal curse and use the wraps to heal 4 - 11 hps per attack making me all but impossible to kill in a one-on-one none-named mob fight! Video here.

Note: Once I start getting +3 tomes I will LR bumping Str to 20 points. To do this +3 Dex, Con and Wis is needed.

Starting Stats:
    [36] Start+lvl (Geared/Sun unbuffed)
    STR 20 + 5 (42)$
    DEX 14 (24)!!
    CON 15 (24)!! [499 HPs]
    INT 6 (10)$
    WIS 13 (21)!!
    CHA 6 (14)$
    % +1 Tome
    $ +2 Tome
    !! +3

You will also need to put your Feats back in with a different order.
    Feats:
    1 Cleave, Discipline or Luck of the Hero #
    1 (monk) Toughness
    2 (monk) Power Attack
    3 (monk) Path of Harmonious Ballance
    3 Past Life: Monk
    6 Toughness
    6 (monk) Stunning Fist #
    9 Two Weapon Fighting
    12 Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
    15 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    18 Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    # (Shintao Requirement)

I hope that this follow-up has helped and as always I welcome constructive comments.

Martens Completed!

Self-Buffed
    Last edited by Marten; 08-27-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Update Gear
    Martens - The Enlightened One, "Abbot Slayer," Mournlander (28 Monk Martens' 3.0 Build) * Marten (28 Cleric) Sarlona
    Videos: Crafting, Raiding, Testing, Questing here ** My IRL Epic **

Community Member

With that much STR why not take Stunning Blow - your DC would be pretty reasonable, especially compared to your SF DC, which is kinda low.

DC 37 Stunning Fist is low for Epic.

yes 37 IS to low. I currently have 40 in sun stance and 41 in wind and in some epic content that is not reliable to hit SF every time.

I'm on my first life and when I TR this toon I will go Dwarf and end with 42 and 43 stunning fist. If I get a +3 wis tome it will increase to 43 and 44. ....... this is on a str/wis build as well.
    Flashious, Slashious, Bashious, Delushous, SifuTam Toustious, Sneakious
    Officer - Templar - Cannith

Community Member

Default Looking good!

A few gear thoughts…

Brawling gloves – Don’t craft wisdom, that comes on both kyosho and oremi rings
    Spyglass – Make this a bloodstone, plenty of better places exist for the toughness enhancement
    Jidz – Good spot for CHA (colorless slot)
    Goggles – Epic raven’s sight is +4 to-hit and +2 ex wisdom, pretty snazzy for digging deeper into power attack AP and boosting SF
    Madstone – Right on man, smashy gets the job done. Very few situations exist where light finishers are useful. Also really good for running sun+shintao when haste is unavailable.

@Stances – Wind IV does noticeably more DPS, I’m processing some video
    at the moment and will have a post pretty soon. You can also get the occasional
    multiple erasure, which is just too cool.

Sun still beats wind for certain situations though, so get both ring+necklace setups.

Founder

Default SF: Not my main focus

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to respond as best I can keeping in mind my list of Focus and that it is not possible to be all things I base my choices from my experiences with good epic groups and my past frustration with missing unless I turned off PA.

Quote Originally Posted by dozkal-mo View Post
    DC 37 Stunning Fist is low for Epic.
    More often than not, most epics I run have a caster that is mass holding. Those few that escape this I can Kukan-do 95% of the time and my SF still lands more often than not as a last resort. However, and again, I am not running most epics with my stunners on but my Holy/Greater Bane or some other DPS wraps. To have those DCs you have to give up something and that something is more often your To Hit. So instead of duplicating what a caster can do on most epic mobs I am more rocused on smashing them and the Red/Purple names that can't be stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by Belzecue View Post
    With that much STR why not take Stunning Blow - your DC would be pretty reasonable, especially compared to your SF DC, which is kinda low.
    With all the mass holds in epics today, I just didn't feel the need to give up more HPs for something I would rarely use. See also previous answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobril View Post
    A few gear thoughts…

Brawling gloves – Don’t craft wisdom, that comes on both kyosho and oremi rings
    This is my current gear and since I don't have my Shintao Ring yet, I needed Wis slotted somewhere until that is remedied. Later I may put Fear Immunity, Cha or Exc +1 Wis there, but for now it gets me some Wis

Spyglass – Make this a bloodstone, plenty of better places exist for the toughness enhancement
    Since I rarely have any confirm crit issues and the fact that I used the Birthday event to get Superior False Life on my head, Brawling Gloves to get my Str and Sneak Attack and freeing up goggles for GS 45 HPs/Earth Guard, the True Seeing + other stats and Green slot made me feel this was the best place for Toughness with the other gear I have.

Jidz – Good spot for CHA (colorless slot)
    I will keep that in mind when I can replace my current ring.

Goggles – Epic raven’s sight is +4 to-hit and +2 ex wisdom, pretty snazzy for digging deeper into power attack AP and boosting SF
    Before the Birthday event, this was my thinking too, however now I am less concerned with my To Hit issues and don't want to give up two slots. I may change my mind later but this is my current thinking as I would be giving up 65HPs with those slots.

Madstone – Right on man, smashy gets the job done. Very few situations exist where light finishers are useful. Also really good for running sun+shintao when haste is unavailable.
    I really feel that Grandmaster Sun and Earth more than make of the DPS with Earth IV's 16 dmg + 2 to 20 Acid on those auto crits. Also, and this was recently pointed out to me too, Triple Earth Finisher works while Madstoned so here is the damage I am spamming out every 6 secs in addition to my base 2d14+26 (40+ buffed) + ring1 + ring 2 + Holy + Bane/Greater Bane + Force Rit + Icy Burst + Piercing.

1) 8-32 additional Force Dmg with an Epic poof on 20s
    2) 4-16 additional Force Dmg with a Stun that works on anything, even undead/constructs, on 20s
    3) 16 dmg + 2 to 20 Acid on crits (for those non devils)
    4) 12 dmg + 2 to 12 Acid on crits(for those non devils)
    5) x3 Crit (for 120 - 140+ dmg)
    6) x4 Crit (for 180 - 230+ dmg)

What really makes this stand out is that I am able to use PA and land my hits on a roll of 2+ for most epic mobs including named. To miss or to have to stop useing PA is causing a lot of monks a lot of damage loss. Short of TRing two or three Fighter PL, this was the best way I could see to accomplish this.

I would love to see the video, may be I will free up some space and Frap one of my epic runs too.

If there were items in game that matched for Dex what Rage, Reckless, Madstone, Double Mastone does for Str I would go back to GM Storms in a heart beat, but sadly there is not. I feel that my damage output is as good if not better just from the simple fact that I don't miss and I can keep PA on almost all the time, even with Red/Purple named mobs

As long as I play Martens I will always look for way to impove him and this community has been a boon for me to that ends. I thank you, all of you... I learn something new all the time and try to return some of that. Be safe and have fun out there.
    Martens - The Enlightened One, "Abbot Slayer," Mournlander (28 Monk Martens' 3.0 Build) * Marten (28 Cleric) Sarlona

any seeker item?
    oremis is good if no shintao and no redscale

Hero

Hit Points (649 fully buffed)
    Are you concerned with tanking?

For non-tanking situations, you'd be better off with Seeker +6 instead of Superior False Life in the pirate hat, especially when you've got GFL already in Knost's Belt.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Founder

Lightbulb If it makes a reappearance

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Are you concerned with tanking?

For non-tanking situations, you'd be better off with Seeker +6 instead of Superior False Life in the pirate hat, especially when you've got GFL already in Knost's Belt.
    I heard a rumor, and we all know how rumor can go, that the Birthday event will make a reappearance at the end of the month. If that happens I will make a seeker hat and see how that works for me

Going to need a +2 Dex tome to take ITWF/GTWF, not that it really matters. Just don't want somebody who doesn't know better to look at the post and not catch that.

Founder

Default Its correct

Quote Originally Posted by Gol View Post
    Going to need a +2 Dex tome to take ITWF/GTWF, not that it really matters. Just don't want somebody who doesn't know better to look at the post and not catch that.
    Umm, think you might want to look at that again, here, you need a 17, not an 18 so you only need a +1... this is not a what if build, this is what I am playing today. That is why when I get a +3 Con and Dex tome I can then LR to squeeze another point of Str.

Thanks you anyway, if I had made a typo I would have wanted that pointed out, but in this case it is correct.

I misunderstood your notation, apparently. I read it as 16 including the tome, not plus tome.

Sorry for the mixup.

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Since I rarely have any confirm crit issues and the fact that I used the Birthday event to get Superior False Life on my head, Brawling Gloves to get my Str and Sneak Attack and freeing up goggles for GS 45 HPs/Earth Guard, the True Seeing + other stats and Green slot made me feel this was the best place for Toughness with the other gear I have.
    People don't wear a Bloodstone to "confirm crits", they wear it to get a stacking 6 damage on every critical, before multipliers.

Founder

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AylinIsAwesome View Post
    People don't wear a Bloodstone to "confirm crits", they wear it to get a stacking 6 damage on every critical, before multipliers.
    I see, then yes that would be worth the 10 hps. Here is hoping the event does make a short repeat then It will also teach me to read more closely... thank you for clearing that up for me.

Gol, np bro... thanks for reading my post. If you misunderstood then I am sure some others might have too so in any case you helped.

Founder

Smile First set of Videos

at the moment and will have a post pretty soon.
    Not sure how many monks still bother with the forums but I just wanted to follow up with a promise.

Ok, finally broke down and starting playing with Fraps. My first couple of attempts were not so hot because I had some much junk on my computer I had little HD space.

First try with Epic ADQ, hard to see my DPS but you do get a see a Barb get blasted into the lava 56 sec in Video1

Then I ran Epic VoN6 but again you can't read the DPS and you can't see it over the dragon's head but here - Video2

I was then going to show off a little with a Training Dummy... It was just before a ToD raid and I was on someone else's ship... Just watch - Video3

Finally I have a good quality video, but not in epic and with a Boss that like to through you around, but still it give a decent "real world" demo - Video4

When I get a good quality video of something in epic I will post it.

Community Member Synnestar35791's Avatar

Smile Free Bump, (Nice Toy.)

Reading this, gotta say, just incites a desire to play it.

Nice monk....

Founder

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Synnestar35791 View Post
    Reading this, gotta say, just incites a desire to play it.

Nice monk....

Thanks, I am certainly still have a blast with him. While a lot of the last few weeks I have been testing the crafting, I also just finished testing some changes to Earth stance, in this post, and I must say that I was happy to see it get some attention.

Thanks again for stopping by and feel free to do so again

My monk was on his first TR (from drow light to halfling dark), and I was thinking of making a half-orc and go back to light. The setup I've played out in the character planner was somewhat identical to this. This was my only character for a long time, so I've got no less than 13 greensteel items on him. HP googles, four tier3 cloaks for elemental resistance, 2xearth and 2xholy shruriken, and two of each 3xearth, 3xholy and 3xwater kamas. And it's the presence of these kamas that makes up for lack of some wraps in many quests. But I can't wait to hit 20 again on my second TR to start using the epic items...

Kudos on a great build with a proven track record in current end-game.

G.

Founder

Arrow Updated 7/12/2011

Updated the main post with latest gear, pic, and video link.

Also posted a maxed out build with step by step instruction at the bottom of the post.

Community Member

Hey man, awesome post and updates as always.

Have you considered Cleave for the shintao pre-req? Now that it doesn't suck I'm waiting for a heart sale to respec out of luck of heros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast