Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Default Question for those who play Dwarfs

Can anyone please confirm if the dwarf race enhancement "Throw Your Weight Around" is working properly? I can't seem to confirm that on my ranger.
    I was wondering something else too: if that works, doesn't it make a dwarf barbarian better than a half-orc barbarian now?
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Hmm... Haven't taken this on any of my dwarfs yet. Seems a useless waste of AP, imo. *shrug*
    There is no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    Hmm... Haven't taken this on any of my dwarfs yet. Seems a useless waste of AP, imo. *shrug*
    I agree with you if you've invested in STR. But barbarians get CON enhancements, if you invest into CON instead of STR you could end up with higher HP and good DPS. More survivability it seems. Not sure though, would like someone who actually did this to confirm.

Thanks.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by HernandoCortez View Post
    I agree with you if you've invested in STR. But barbarians get CON enhancements, if you invest into CON instead of STR you could end up with higher HP and good DPS. More survivability it seems. Not sure though, would like someone who actually did this to confirm.

Thanks.
    u cant gimp STR even if u take this enhancement, because str still stays driving attribute for to hit rating, as well as prerequisite for some feats like power attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    u cant gimp STR even if u take this enhancement, because str still stays driving attribute for to hit rating, as well as prerequisite for some feats like power attack.
    I wasn't thinking of gimping STR, just spending more on CON than on STR.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Community Member

Can anyone please confirm if the dwarf race enhancement "Throw Your Weight Around" is working properly? I can't seem to confirm that on my ranger.
    I was wondering something else too: if that works, doesn't it make a dwarf barbarian better than a half-orc barbarian now?
    I'll look into it today. I've got it on my stalwart fighter and his DPS seems to be keeping up with everyone else just fine. I'm not familiar with the new barb trees, but if there's enough CON boost enhancements and synergies it might work. Don't worry about your attack bonus, the + from STR should be the least of it a barb.

No need to gimp str on a barb, just take it to 18 like you used to, max out con and all level ups into con. youll still end up with a str that qualifies for OC and a huge con. With most other races people say transferring to damage stat to something other than str is a trap because theres a lot more ways to buff str, but most of those, the ones that matter, buff con too. The things you take on the way aren't a waste of points - as dwarves get tactics, plusses to hit with axes, moar con, etc....making that point expenditure not a waste at all.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Can anyone please confirm if the dwarf race enhancement "Throw Your Weight Around" is working properly?
    It wokrs on my dwarf barbarian. Con-focused to get the most form the Occult Slayer capstone. Full BAB, plus rage str bonus is enough ot keep my to-hit at reasonable levels. Just got enough STR to qualify to OC (in my case: 18 starting, +4 tome, plus 1 at level 20).

Since his con-str ratio is too large (my only str item is the PDK gloves for heal amp), I tested it selecting every enhancement I usually select, sans the con-to-damage one. Checked the numbers on the dummy. Selected the enhancement. Noticed a good increase in damage.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Something to keep in mind;

If you're ever having a lot of trouble hitting something consider grabbing Unkor's Cleaver (not the epic version). It's the only weapon in the game that uses Con as a to-hit modifier. You'd take a large reduction in damage once you out level it but for those rare occasions when you NEED those extra points added to your AB Unkor will serve.

Community Member

It seems to be working as intended, my new dwarven barbarian seems to be getting similar dps to my last life horc dps build. He is currently level 6 and has 2 rogue levels this time around, last life was the horc barb 18/2 fighter split which according to the forum was the old high dps barb build. Just to let people know I haven't really leveled anything up in my barb trees yet, and ended up getting throw your weight around mid level 5. Currently at level 6 I'm sitting at 223 hp without rage. The prerequisites for the "throw your weight around" are pretty high, but they include +4 to hit, and +6 damage for great axes, dwarven axes or mauls (+4 dmg for other weapons). Currently sitting at 18 points into dwarven tree, and I plan on the 3 other cores so will end up at 22 total points in dwarven tree. I can certainly see hitting higher dps later on this life though, my con is certainly going to be higher then my str was last life on a horc build.
    Last edited by Arcanegrin; 11-09-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    It wokrs on my dwarf barbarian. Con-focused to get the most form the Occult Slayer capstone. Full BAB, plus rage str bonus is enough ot keep my to-hit at reasonable levels. Just got enough STR to qualify to OC (in my case: 18 starting, +4 tome, plus 1 at level 20).

Since his con-str ratio is too large (my only str item is the PDK gloves for heal amp), I tested it selecting every enhancement I usually select, sans the con-to-damage one. Checked the numbers on the dummy. Selected the enhancement. Noticed a good increase in damage.
    Thank you very much for your trouble checking it.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

It worked on my stalwart as well. The downside is that the DC's for tacticals still use STR.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved