Community Member

Default Self-healing paladin tank build?

I have not played in a long time (when the high road stuff came out, I played for a little while longer, then stopped). I have a paladin tank, and it used to work pretty well (I was able to solo stuff like ToD, VoD, EH DQ, some EEs).

However it seems to me, looking at the enhancements etc, that the pally might not be as good any more (my wizard and monk seem to have become much better, pally seems actually a bit worse off). I have not played much, I just logged in last night and was thoroughly unimpressed with the new paladin enhancements.

Is it still possible to create a powerful self-healing paladin tank, preferably S&B? I realize any paladin tank build is going to have low DPS, this has always been the case. I would just like a build that can tank bosses when needed (including current endgame, if any benefit from having a tank), and solo stuff. I have a +20 heart so any level split is possible.

My gear is very dated, abishai x3, claw, conc opp goggles, smoke belt, cormyrian red, citw rapier, wall of wood, torc. I also have most of pre-high road stuff that could be conceivably useful as swaps. If I could reuse some of this gear that would be great! I have nothing from high road or later.

Also where is my divine might?

Quote Originally Posted by svinja View Post
    I have not played in a long time (when the high road stuff came out, I played for a little while longer, then stopped). I have a paladin tank, and it used to work pretty well (I was able to solo stuff like ToD, VoD, EH DQ, some EEs).

However it seems to me, looking at the enhancements etc, that the pally might not be as good any more (my wizard and monk seem to have become much better, pally seems actually a bit worse off). I have not played much, I just logged in last night and was thoroughly unimpressed with the new paladin enhancements.

Is it still possible to create a powerful self-healing paladin tank, preferably S&B? I realize any paladin tank build is going to have low DPS, this has always been the case. I would just like a build that can tank bosses when needed (including current endgame, if any benefit from having a tank), and solo stuff. I have a +20 heart so any level split is possible.

My gear is very dated, abishai x3, claw, conc opp goggles, smoke belt, cormyrian red, citw rapier, wall of wood, torc. I also have most of pre-high road stuff that could be conceivably useful as swaps. If I could reuse some of this gear that would be great! I have nothing from high road or later.

I never were a big fan of the SnB thing so can't help you there, but I can tell you that divine might is in the hotd/kotc tree in tier 2
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

This has been my experience. My other 4 characters all got new abilities to play with and significant gains in power. After lots of work I was able to get my paladin to come out about the same as he was before.

It doesn't help that one capstone is broken and the other is worthless. (KoTC doesn't add good like it is supposed to and In the months since Shadowfell has been released the Defender capstone has saved my life exactly zero times.)

I used to solo stuff on EH frequently and easily. It's still pretty easy to create a self-healing paladin that will be basically unkillable. However, with the new stuff mobs have so many hitpoints that it just takes too long and is no longer fun. This is where the lack of DPS increases really shows for me.

It's in the KoTC tree but it's been nerfed for a lot of pure characters (It's slightly better for THFing). At level 28 with 38 CHA I finally have the same damage bonus out of it that I used to get at level 15 with 18 CHA.

You can still make a S&B pally tank which is very competitive with other S&B tanks. Thing is there is very little overall use for an S&B tank at the moment. You can level up your S&B pally tank and then you will be done playing him really because other characters are so much more effective in the type of content in the current game.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

My gear is very dated, abishai x3, claw, conc opp goggles, smoke belt, cormyrian red, citw rapier, wall of wood, torc.
    Well, the good news is Con Opp, Torc, and Balizarde are all still great to have. Cormyrian red dragonscale is still decent too, IMHO, though it's probably been overshadowed by flawless black. WoW probably isn't the best tanking shield; but it's got Devotion, heal amp, and shield bashing (which should now stack w/Imp Shield Bash feat), all of which are useful to a pally tank.

However, you're right that pure pallies didn't get much compared to other classes in U19; and in fact until the KotC capstone is WAI, they've lost a bit. Even "lite" multiclassing will get you extra feats, Evasion, etc. Something like pal 15 / ftr 2 / monk 2 (final lvl up for grabs).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Well, the good news is Con Opp, Torc, and Balizarde are all still great to have. Cormyrian red dragonscale is still decent too, IMHO, though it's probably been overshadowed by flawless black. WoW probably isn't the best tanking shield; but it's got Devotion, heal amp, and shield bashing (which should now stack w/Imp Shield Bash feat), all of which are useful to a pally tank.

However, you're right that pure pallies didn't get much compared to other classes in U19; and in fact until the KotC capstone is WAI, they've lost a bit. Even "lite" multiclassing will get you extra feats, Evasion, etc. Something like pal 15 / ftr 2 / monk 2 (final lvl up for grabs).
    Thanks guys. I realized the enhancements are not THAT bad, at first I just made the mistake of investing too heavily in the defender tree. With a combination of defender and KotC I was able to at least get significantly stronger self-heals than I had before, and I got divine might (not sure how I failed to find it the first time).

I will have to look into the different level splits, I have 18P/2F now but that's because you used to need 18 levels for DoS tier III. I am not really sure I understand how this works now. What do I lose with 15 as opposed to 18 pally levels? Just some SP, remove disease and smite charges, level 1/2 spells, and caster level (when my CSW maxes out at CL 15 anyway)?
    Last edited by svinja; 11-16-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Community Member

I settled on 15 pal / 3 monk / 2 fighter. I really like it for now. 18/2 into 15/3/2 is basically 2 extra feats and a bit of amp and spell power from the 1 enhancement point I used in Shintao while losing nothing important.

Still remains to be seen if evasion is of any use with reflex in the 50s. I made a flawless black robe I am using for THF DPS or if I ever want evasion for tanking something but I think my reflex is too low for it to be useful (at least without a twist or two).

Unarmed dps is unsurprisingly terrible compared to THF but I don't have the feats for it. I would like a set of Ivys to try and make use of that healing amp... If I get one I might even LR for TWF feats just to test how it would work. Ivys + FoL would be 14 HP per hit and unarmed attacks are fast...
    Last edited by svinja; 11-17-2013 at 07:58 AM.