Default Testing DPS with a guild ship Training Dummy

It seems that sometimes I do way different damage with the guild ship Training Dummy. Does it scale depending on how many people are in the zone?

Can you really get accurate results when using a training dummy for testing?

Thanks.
    Dorian

Community Member

when somebody killed the dummy in the instance before, it counts as helpless for +50% damage.
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Default This gives me a good idea for a feature request.

Why not have the training dummy set up so that after you first attack it a one minute timer starts before it is destroyed. After said minute it compiles all damage done to it and divides it by 60 to give people a damage per second calculation. Would be a VERY nice addition to it's overall usefulness and desirability. They could even increase the cost of the item by a factor of 10 and I would still by it.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Proud resident of Sarlona. Player of "Gilgimesh the Steel Demon".

Quote Originally Posted by Golddragon87 View Post
    Why not have the training dummy set up so that after you first attack it a one minute timer starts before it is destroyed. After said minute it compiles all damage done to it and divides it by 60 to give people a damage per second calculation. Would be a VERY nice addition to it's overall usefulness and desirability. They could even increase the cost of the item by a factor of 10 and I would still by it.
    It's a poor measure of dps. Most mobs don't have 100% fort. You also can't bluff it or blind it, so no sneak damage unless you have a deception item and a way to bypass fort.

While an interesting idea, other adjustments would need to also be made. The training dummy is a construct, thus construct specific damage would skew this. But I agree it would be interesting to be able to "measure" an accurate amount of DPS for a character. But to be really accurate we would need to set it for a variety of situations to take in all type of damage advantages weapons have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    It's a poor measure of dps. Most mobs don't have 100% fort. You also can't bluff it or blind it, so no sneak damage unless you have a deception item and a way to bypass fort.
    That is a good point. Perhaps have an initial dialouge with a box of parts or something where you can build a dummy from certain options? 25% fort, 50% fort, 75% fort, 100% fort, and perhaps build it to emulate creature types such as undead, evil outsider, human, ect. or even alignments. Would complicate the feature a bit more but I think it would be the only way to please everyone.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Proud resident of Sarlona. Player of "Gilgimesh the Steel Demon".

That is a good point. Perhaps have an initial dialouge with a box of parts or something where you can build a dummy from certain options? 25% fort, 50% fort, 75% fort, 100% fort, and perhaps build it to emulate creature types such as undead, evil outsider, human, ect. or even alignments. Would complicate the feature a bit more but I think it would be the only way to please everyone.
    My gosh we have constructs walking around, arcanes with the ability to transform themselves into undead, divines that can summon daemons and devils, and yet our guild ship can only carry a straw stuffed bag for training? It would be a wonderful Level X crew addition:

Level 40 - can select basic type (see MM) Humanoid, Player Race, vermin, animal
    Level 60 - can select above plus advanced types Giant, Undead, Construct, Monstrous Humanoid and Magical Beast. Can also select one element for training dummy resistance (i.e. Resist Fire 50%, vulnerable cold 200%)
    Level 80 - can select above plus Aberration and outsider. Can add two element and alignment resists. Or select a monster sub-race to mimic - i.e. Marilith, Lich,
    Level 100 - can select above, can add any elements, alignments, Metallic (i.e. silver, cold iron) and base DR. Or select a specific monster that the magic dummy would mimic - i.e. Dummy has all resistance of Harry, ARN-01D, etc.

Could be cool.
    Farog on Khyber

currently, the dummy is not a very good way to test dps numbers. however, there are some very good ideas in this thread and I think something should be worked out. I think there would be enough interest to actually pay for a dummy that can calculate dps numbers accurately by somehow selecting different types as described above. theres a lot of potential here financially for Turbine and for players. someone throw this file on top of a devs desk.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Perhaps a prisoner chained to the floor that is not a construct ... lets call him Coyle. The chains are magical and will prevent the prisoner from permanent death. If the prisoner dies within 20 seconds they are brought back to full health.

"The beatings will continue until you learn to not be an idiot."

If you are looking for a good way to measure your DPS - I do all my single target 0% Fort tests in "Ruined Keep: The Sunset Ritual" on Claive the Carver.

Reasons are simple for this:
    - I can see his HP (Human)
    - Decent amount of HP for useful testing (61k - 75k)
    - he always spawns
    - there's a timer running which makes time measuring even easier
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

1. The amount of DPS you do in public areas is less than when buffed in quests.

2. You would also like to try offencive spells that don't work in public instances (even blade barrier that works in no public instance). So you would want training dummy to be in some sort of private area.

3. You would like to see your DPS if a number of effects were applied from teamwork (like a ranger with bow of the silver flame lowering the fort of an undead so you can do more DPS). So you would like to be able to choose any effect you like on the dummy.

4. Your DPS is pretty random. I've hit the dummy with many critical hits killing it fast and I've hit the dummy with no critical hits taking forever. You would also want to remove the usual dice rolling when attacking so you would get an "accurate" DPS.

Even if the customers would pay 1000$ to get a dummy like that, Turbine would never implement it.
    1. It's not thematic. It's a training dummy. When soldiers train, they use training dummies because they don't fight back. Not an uncontrollable marilith that could kill anyone in there.
    2. It requires too much contradicting mechanics: A private instance within a public instance, a dialog box for an attackable object, application of effects at will etc.
    This falls well under the category "too much programming for a silly request".

If you want to measure your DPS, you can calculate it. Other than that, you can always dream about a super training dummy.
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts