Community Member

Default Which levels do you bank experience on?

So I am on my 3rd or 4th TR and I was wondering what the general consensus is on banking levels? I just banked at level 10 so now I am 12. But is it more common to bank at 17 or 18 to farm out the vale quests?

I'm just curious what other TR's do for their lives.

P.S.
    Ghostbane

Community Member

I do each quest once on elite for bravery bonus. If I have not yet done all the quests of a given level then I will bank just so I don't lose out on bravery bonus. If you do this you will never have to repeat any quests at all. After Tuesday's patch you will even be able to skip quite a few quests as well.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I do each quest once on elite for bravery bonus. If I have not yet done all the quests of a given level then I will bank just so I don't lose out on bravery bonus. If you do this you will never have to repeat any quests at all. After Tuesday's patch you will even be able to skip quite a few quests as well.
    Ah interesting, and keeps things fresh. Although to be honest, I like repeating certain quests...Delera's, Gwylan's, yes even the catacombs are fun for me especially when you can get a few people along for the ride. Splashing a 2 rogue on my Palemaster build was the best thing I have done, I love trapping. There's something satisfying about hearing that click when you disable a trap.

Content availability is really the key factor in when banking XP is good.

I recommend banking for the following reasons:

1. There is still level appropriate quests that can benefit from 1st time bonus
    2. There is content you still want to run and not have XP penalty while doing so
    3. Keeping from causing other party members/friends/guildmates from XP penalty when you run with them

At one point I would recommend holding level 18 so that the Vale Quests (Level 16) could be run to gain XP without penalty, but now with more level 15 to 19 content (In FR and expansion) and with Epic Levels, this really isn't necessary if the content is available.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I do this also, except where some of the early content outlevels my ability to do so(or a really bad day resulting in me turning off teamspeak, putting on some music, and just going made in whatever slayer area is level appropriate dumps a buncha extra xp on me). It's fun, and makes leveling up each life feel like playing a game instead of working.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

I bank every level, even on a first life, starting with level 5 (that is the first level I bank). After that, I do not level up until I am very near to being exp-capped on the banked level. I do this on first life characters to ensure I get to do as many of the quests of a given level as I find fun. I quite enjoy 3BC, Tangleroot, and several others. I run Catacombs even though I hate it. I use explorers and slaying to fill in the levels, but I expect this will be less needed with the upcoming changes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    I bank every level, even on a first life, starting with level 5 (that is the first level I bank). After that, I do not level up until I am very near to being exp-capped on the banked level. I do this on first life characters to ensure I get to do as many of the quests of a given level as I find fun. I quite enjoy 3BC, Tangleroot, and several others. I run Catacombs even though I hate it. I use explorers and slaying to fill in the levels, but I expect this will be less needed with the upcoming changes.
    Now here's a follow-up. Do you only run the quests at level when you start banking? Like Tangleroot, do you only run the first few at level until you level up then go back and take the next ones that are 6 or 7 at level? If I start banking at 5, do all level 3 quests on elite, then move up to 6 and start taking lvl 4 quests, etc? Am I making sense?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Esmarelda View Post
    Now here's a follow-up. Do you only run the quests at level when you start banking? Like Tangleroot, do you only run the first few at level until you level up then go back and take the next ones that are 6 or 7 at level? If I start banking at 5, do all level 3 quests on elite, then move up to 6 and start taking lvl 4 quests, etc? Am I making sense?
    This is exactly what I do. I apologize for not also stating such when I made my original post. It can make it tough to get groups for some of these, which is unfortunate since I enjoy grouping. However, having to solo these has forced me to find creative ways to minimize the danger to which I am exposed from either mobs or traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmarelda View Post
    Here's what I do, along with most of my static group: Run the higher xp quests at low levels, when you hit the mark, level up and don't bother banking. When you hit character level 9, run all quests on elite, start banking. When we hit Von 3, Elite, Hard, Normal, same for Shadow Crypt (When we finish flagging for it, only one of us picks up the quest). We then bank levels as we go, keeping to the higher level xp quests (as a character level 11, we are doing level 9 quests on elite). Blaze through the remaining character levels, hit 20, TR.

With the new character xp levels hitting Tuesday, we will look again at this, and may bank levels later in our TR lives, but we have too many more lives to go to worry much.

Hope that helps.

Traditionally I have banked levels starting at 4th level. I bank the max amount and carry it on through till I hit 20. You really needed it once you get to 15-17 level. The quests were very slim. With Update 18-19 those 15-17 levels have changed. Now actually do to the change in ransack it is difficult to bank 2 levels at 4th level. So I try and start banking at 3rd now. But there is enough content at 4-6 that not banking a full two levels there would probably work.

Most I run at level (elite). Some chains I just plow on through no matter the levels like Tangleroot or the Catacombs.

But you must realize that the main reason to bank levels is to carry you over for those levels that have very slim content. Which traditionally is the mid teens. That way you don't have to grind those levels as long and hard on slim content.

This is changing however with an increase in XP to over 20 quests, and a decrease in the overall XP needed to level.

Be that as it may, I will always continue to bank XP on my toons just to get max xp at level in particular quests. It just makes good sense.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Used to be lvl 11 to start banking before quest ransack was introduced.
    Now it makes more sense to run stuff underlevel to get "juicy" quests into daily rotation if you want to, so no banking at all, only staying at 18 of course.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

I usually bank XP all the way up. Once on Elite, all the quest, usually does that... plus doing some of the good XP ones a couple times. I usually do this cause it comes in handy getting up into higher levels specifically around the 17-19 mark where there isn't a whole lot of a quest selection without having to grind out too much. I do usually go through Vale quest a couple times, but any more than that is eh... I can only handle so many runs of Coal Chamber. XD This life I did do something different though, in that I went in with Guildies and did some good runs of Cannith Challenges which really helped on xp. Something I've not really done in the past, but find it worth it. I am currently at 18 banking xp for 19 till I can hit 20. I'll probably go up and do some level 19 on Elite quest so I don't have to do too many reruns of level 18 content. That should get me to 20 fairly easy without having to rerun too much. But then again, if I'm on and see an LFM of a quest I've already did... I don't usually hesitate to joining it for the extra xp outside of my normal grind if I don't feel particularly fond of trying to form my own group to run whatever new quest at that point. That's what generally works for me. I don't always hit cap on xp per level before I actually take the level. Just depends on the level range and what quest in that range have a good amount of XP I can still get out of it. (I.E. When in range for VoN5, I'll usually cap xp because VoN5 is great xp.) and it helps going into those level ranges with Not so great xp.

Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobay . Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai