Thread: concentration

Community Member

Default concentration

Are casters still putting points in the concentration skill? Now that there are other important skills for a caster are they dropping it? At the higher levels, not EE, but others is quicken more important? I have both (concentration and quicken feat) right now but am thinking to use my LR to redo my skill points and on a sorc. there is not much to go around. If I drop the concentration skill I can put those points into other skills I need. Thanks for all input.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I still max Concentration and take Quicken on my casters, because I don't like wasting SPs on Quicken when it's unnecessary; plus you still need to make a Concentration check to use a scroll. Yeah, it's a little annoying that INT is no longer the dump stat on (non-wizard) casters it used to be, but them's the breaks sometimes.

Community Member

I do not usually use scrolls in the heat of battle so not to worried about failing a scroll. But was wondering if the damage done at the higher levels really makes concentration useless. I do see the benefit of it for say when you get hit with a DOT or archers and the damage is lower each tick, but do people think this is worth it anymore. Thanks.

Unless you are scroll healing fleshie for some reason or first life caster that doesn't have gear / experience to run with quicken on all the time, concentration serves no point, you can ditch it if you need points for spellcraft or whatever.
    Relying on concentration will only get you killed.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by wetlandsnj View Post
    I do see the benefit of it for say when you get hit with a DOT or archers and the damage is lower each tick, but do people think this is worth it anymore.
    Depends on whether or not we're talking about Epic Elite. Epic Elite arrows hit hard enough that you'd have to really push your Concentration skill up to achieve no failure levels. Any other difficulty though should be fine.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 11-08-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I run almost exclusively EE on my shiradi wiz, and I have a full investment in Concentration. Quicken is too expensive to be using it on non-SLA non-Reconstruct spells. The 80-90 concentration you can easily hit will keep you from being interrupted by archers or most no-save spells (spells with a save are evaded), and you're avoiding being hit by melee at all costs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    The 80-90 concentration you can easily hit will keep you from being interrupted by archers or most no-save spells (spells with a save are evaded), and you're avoiding being hit by melee at all costs anyway.
    Nice. Highest I've personally seen was only around 60s. Though I am addicted to Quicken so I haven't tried getting my Concentration to a really high amount.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

". When you take damage you roll a D20 + your Concentration score against a difficulty class of 10 + the damage received + the level of the spell you are trying to cast."

For me it basically means its useless on epic elite in most cases. And is usefull in EH/EN.
    To be honest I dont but points there. I prefer to have perform/spellcraft/repair/heal for full spellpower bonuses on most of my casters. I also like to have UMD + ofc Jump of around 10. I think I also prefer balance over concentration.
    So if u have free points - sure spend them there. But if u dont - dont bother.

There's a breakdown in my thread. 90 as listed, and it's a bit higher in practice from Primal Scream, Yugo, etc.

It's a no-brainer for wizard but sorc is certainly a different beast. I haven't had a sorc since U17 so I dunno how easily Concentration fits in with Spellcraft, UMD, Balance, etc. I know some people have done int-based shiradi sorcs.
    Last edited by cdr; 11-08-2013 at 09:11 PM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I still max Concentration and take Quicken on my casters, because I don't like wasting SPs on Quicken when it's unnecessary; plus you still need to make a Concentration check to use a scroll.
    Exactly the same here. Scrolls, and Quicken not always on for all spells.