Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: ETR meh.

  1. #121
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Well, just consider me a countering force, since i dont think its a bad system. As said, it COULD be better, but it could be a lot worse as well. You should remember that, and that having a very negative attitude towards it makes it worse for you.

    And your idea might actually be worse. No way of knowing unless it was implemented.
    Well, who really knows what would or wouldn't be better or worse. But it would have been simple enough to simply have earn Karma by playing at-level. Another reason to keep earning xp at level cap. There's little to no need to go through the extra coding of stripping away levels and gear, placing it in some cache, and worrying about all the bugs that could crop up from that.

    Just because it could've been a lot worse, does not make it better. Of course I have a negative attitude towards it. I think it's terribly done. That doesn't make it "worse" for me. The system itself does that well enough as it is, it's why I have a "negative attitude" towards it in the first place.

    It's like you envision me sitting here, gnashing my teeth or something. That couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not trying to convince you that you don't like the system or something. I'm trying to explain why I don't like it.

    You accuse me of not "caring about anyone's playstyle but my own" and yet you take umbrage at people wanting to play "any way they like". You like going back to level 20 or level 1 I take it? Why do people who don't like that concept come off as "lazy" to you? We'd still be putting in the same amount of general time. We'd still be in quests earning xp.

    Anyway, it's all a moot point since this is what the devs are going with. So other than some sort of total failure where a large majority of the people don't like the system and don't even play it, or worst yet, stop playing because of it, the devs are going to implement it as is. So all I can do now is hope it fails miserably so that the devs are forced to put in something better.

  2. #122
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    Well, who really knows what would or wouldn't be better or worse. But it would have been simple enough to simply have earn Karma by playing at-level. Another reason to keep earning xp at level cap. There's little to no need to go through the extra coding of stripping away levels and gear, placing it in some cache, and worrying about all the bugs that could crop up from that.
    The taking away of levels is not as bad as the taking away of gear. Having to store many sets of gear is very annoying in a game that has as little storage space as DDO. They should simply make it that once you Epic TR you are no longer restricted from wearing any gear based on level (so you can keep your level cap gear equipped when you start back at 20).
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

  3. #123
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    The taking away of levels is not as bad as the taking away of gear. Having to store many sets of gear is very annoying in a game that has as little storage space as DDO. They should simply make it that once you Epic TR you are no longer restricted from wearing any gear based on level (so you can keep your level cap gear equipped when you start back at 20).
    Yes, I agree. What you suggest would certainly cause less headache for many players.

    But if they don't take away EDs and then they also don't take away gear, then why bother to take levels away at all at that point? Just to have the word "reincarnate" in the system? Having a bypass for ML triggered by Reincarnating would be yet another thing to code in.

    I think it would have been simpler to simply let you keep earning xp at cap that goes towards Karma. No worrying about stripping things from characters and all the possible problems that can entail. It would be about earning xp for new things, not about earning xp to also get what you already had before.

  4. #124
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    6,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    Well, who really knows what would or wouldn't be better or worse. But it would have been simple enough to simply have earn Karma by playing at-level. Another reason to keep earning xp at level cap. There's little to no need to go through the extra coding of stripping away levels and gear, placing it in some cache, and worrying about all the bugs that could crop up from that.

    Just because it could've been a lot worse, does not make it better. Of course I have a negative attitude towards it. I think it's terribly done. That doesn't make it "worse" for me. The system itself does that well enough as it is, it's why I have a "negative attitude" towards it in the first place.

    It's like you envision me sitting here, gnashing my teeth or something. That couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not trying to convince you that you don't like the system or something. I'm trying to explain why I don't like it.

    You accuse me of not "caring about anyone's playstyle but my own" and yet you take umbrage at people wanting to play "any way they like". You like going back to level 20 or level 1 I take it? Why do people who don't like that concept come off as "lazy" to you? We'd still be putting in the same amount of general time. We'd still be in quests earning xp.

    Anyway, it's all a moot point since this is what the devs are going with. So other than some sort of total failure where a large majority of the people don't like the system and don't even play it, or worst yet, stop playing because of it, the devs are going to implement it as is. So all I can do now is hope it fails miserably so that the devs are forced to put in something better.
    You would not be in quests gaining xp if it wasnt for the system that is currently implemented/about to be implemented. Youd be sitting at cap wondering about what to do. The reason for the hamsterwheel is to give people something to strive for. If you dont like striving for anything, you would be happy sitting where you are.

    Or even more miserable.

    And you want people to be miserable so that you can be happy? Not a nice thing to want.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  5. #125
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    If they add challenging content requiring PLs, noobs, casuals and altoholics will cry louder than fanbois and paladins about twists at lvl1.

    And listening to all the haters hate because it is to hard.

    Kinda like how they complain the game is to easy exploiting their way through Heroic content.

    See, I can do that too....


    You can now go back to playing the game you hate so much.


    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  6. #126
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

    You can now go back to playing the game you hate so much.

    But I like duel of champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  7. #127
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    You would not be in quests gaining xp if it wasnt for the system that is currently implemented/about to be implemented. Youd be sitting at cap wondering about what to do. The reason for the hamsterwheel is to give people something to strive for. If you dont like striving for anything, you would be happy sitting where you are.

    Or even more miserable.

    And you want people to be miserable so that you can be happy? Not a nice thing to want.
    Of course I wouldn't have anything to do. That's why I do want them to implement something. If what they implemented was that I could continue to gain xp at cap I would also be in quests.

    I don't know what your last sentences are about. Just sounds like useless snark to me. Just more of the "I don't care about anybody else's playstyle but my own" malarky you keep bringing into the discussion. If I'm the one that doesn't like how other people play the game, why are you the one accusing people of being lazy if they would rather have the system play in a different way?

    I don't want other people to be miserable so that I can be happy. Show me how I wish people to be miserable.

  8. #128
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    6,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    Of course I wouldn't have anything to do. That's why I do want them to implement something. If what they implemented was that I could continue to gain xp at cap I would also be in quests.

    I don't know what your last sentences are about. Just sounds like useless snark to me. Just more of the "I don't care about anybody else's playstyle but my own" malarky you keep bringing into the discussion. If I'm the one that doesn't like how other people play the game, why are you the one accusing people of being lazy if they would rather have the system play in a different way?

    I don't want other people to be miserable so that I can be happy. Show me how I wish people to be miserable.
    You want people to dislike the new system so that yours (or an approximation of what you want) will be implemented.

    And you need to strive for something, or youd be even more bored than you are now.

    And you still want something for nothing. Its like wanting to get elite xp for doing normal quests, and that is just plain silly. IF you want the power, do what is necessary. If you just need somethign to do that is fun, go do something fun.

    But DDO will not be the game you most want it to be, since there are a lot of otehr players wanting stuff as well.

    And as for snarky, im being as polite as i can be when faced with a person that believes he is right. (There is no such thing as right when it comes to a matter of taste, which is all this is)
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  9. #129
    Community Member eonfreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    You want people to dislike the new system so that yours (or an approximation of what you want) will be implemented.

    And you need to strive for something, or youd be even more bored than you are now.

    And you still want something for nothing. Its like wanting to get elite xp for doing normal quests, and that is just plain silly. IF you want the power, do what is necessary. If you just need somethign to do that is fun, go do something fun.

    But DDO will not be the game you most want it to be, since there are a lot of otehr players wanting stuff as well.

    And as for snarky, im being as polite as i can be when faced with a person that believes he is right. (There is no such thing as right when it comes to a matter of taste, which is all this is)
    How is it wanting something for nothing? How is it remotely like getting elite xp for doing normal quests? Are you really going to tell me with a straight face that the lower level Epic quests are going to be more challenging to a character that has more build points and more abilities than the first times he played it? That being level 20 playing level 20 quests is something more sacred than being level 28 and playing level 28 quests?

    We already established that it's a matter of opinion, or taste as you prefer to characterize it now. Of course I'm going to argue for what I believe is right. Once again it is my opinion. I'm not going to argue for things I don't think are right.

    And yet DDO was once the game I wanted it to be. It could be again. You certainly can't say it isn't possible. And yes, I am doing something else. I barely ever log into DDO now. What I am also doing is giving Turbine feedback. Because "doing something else" doesn't inspire me to give them any money.

    As far as wanting others to be miserable; that's just stupid. If the system that Turbine implements is a failure it isn't because of me. If it fails they'll have to come up with something else, which hopefully will be better.

    You say "it could be worse". Yes, it very well could have been worse. What they first proposed was far, far, far worse. The reason that didn't see the light of day was because of the feedback from the playerbase, which was overwhelmingly negative.
    Last edited by eonfreon; 11-10-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload