Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ETR meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Just like Completionist, if you don't think the time is worth it or you don't enjoy spending the time then do something else instead.
    That "something else" is "not playing DDO."

What other options are there left in this game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    You mean, in order to earn a Divine sphere past epic life, I have to run in the Divine Sphere? That doesn't sound fun at all. That's like telling me that in order to get that Paladin past life, I have to play as a paladin....I don't think I like this!!!

Sarcasm off now...what the heck do you propose they do? Give you something easy? Give you something for nothing?
    Don't bother trying to use logic. If that worked, no one would post on the forums.

So the viability of your build is completely dependent on one or two particular EDs? At the risk of earning a temp forum ban, it sounds like it's time for a ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-REROLL.

In all seriousness, you shouldn't design a build to be completely dependent on an ED until AFTER you've maxxed all your EDs and gotten all the ETRs you want.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    No one is forcing you to play anything or anyone.
    So the only argument in support of a dumb new system is "stop playing DDO?"

I can't wait to see the DDO Oracle reports 3 months from now, you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Then what are you focused on? I can't see much else to do worth doing.
    While not really relevant to the discussion of ETR, I will continue the same focus I've had since '06. Playing this game to have fun in a social environment. I play this game for that reason, gaining power happens even without the conscious grind.

I get that people play this game for a variety of reasons, but to focus on only one aspect of the game will tire any enthusiasm.

Wow, I generated a lot of hate here...

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Bragging rights? I mean even completionist has no reason anymore because against the EDs and the lack of anything wowza to NEED the benefits for, it's all useless time sink. UNFUN TIME SINK, with unfun being the actual issue.

The trouble is that as much as I hate certain classes like barbarian (for example), I find it more fun to play a barbarian life than run an ED that's completely not for my character. Like running rogue destiny on my sorcerer, just LOL.
    If their intention is to force you to either have that horrible experience or actually proper TR and do a different sphere every life... That'd be a better experience but honestly they kind of ruined the drive to TR in anyone other than those that simply enjoy TR-ing as a whole (or those who just have to be completionist and have the best even if the best is just +1 and not needed in any content whatsoever).

The whole running non-class EDs to reach any goal is annoying to begin with. And I hear shears are out of the DDO store?
    Turbine, why do you hate my FvS so much? I was going to use that to bypass some seriously useless ED grind to get where I want (to hell with twists, I don't care, just let me have the ED I want).

ETR sounds MEH to me too. Definitely nothing to bring me back to playing daily anymore.
    I understand it isn't fun. But it also would not make sense to give you a divine past life for playing in Primal. It is exactly like saying you want to get a pally past life for playing a sorc (LR+20 stone notwithstanding...)

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Something to do on the build I want to play. Not easy make it hard, harder then EE for all I care I'll rise to the challenge, but something to do at cap that's wroth doing.

Where did I ask for a hand out? 20 million exp is not something for nothing I'll pay 20 million, I'll pay 60 million even 100 million but let me run on the toon I built, in the build I want to play.

That's really not much to ask for.
    I do not disagree, as you will see below, that there needs to be more content at cap, whether it be raids, or more quests, or whatever. Just, something. However, the ETR system was designed to increase power, the same as TR does now, and to do that, you have to do it in a way that makes sense. It would NOT make sense to earn a past life for a destiny that you didn't run in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Give us content, rather than a hamster wheel.
    Agreed. Though I enjoyed the quests of the xpac, I know it was not what many hoped for. There needs to be more to do. Thankfully, we have some new stuff on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    How about give me something fun? All of your sarcasm aside, there's nothing fun about running in off destinies. And what this game need again isn't more grind or "gain from pain" it's something fun to do. Plus as it is, there's no light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. End game is non-existent. There's really no need for me to make any of my characters stronger by ER'ing since I have no desire to run anything at level cap anymore (and thus take advantage of the EPL's). Now that's just me.

But I do think the metaphors of "play a pally to get a pally PL" are not quite accurate. When you heroic TR you get to advance as a Pally as the content gets harder, you have pally enhancements, spell, abilities. Running in off destinies does not provide anything near the same experience as a heroic TR. Now if they gave you an option of redoing a character similar to heroic TR at 20 after a ER, I think this would be a fantastic system. Off destines is a fatal flaw for many people.

Many of the recent exploits have given people a way to manufacture artificial fun. Just look around the net, you'll see many people saying it was the most fun they had in the game in a long time. And that's why they are so popular.
    That's on them, not on me. I have been having fun with my alts, running quests, trying new things I never got around to, etc. If they have to cheat to have fun, maybe they should move on. It happens when you've been playing any game for years on end. However, if you don't want to run in off destinies, you don't have to. You just won't be able to get the epic PL from that destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    So...you believe it's Turbine's job to build character in its player base? You somehow think Turbine is an educational utility now and not a designer of fantasy MMOs that are supposed to be entertaining by creating suspension of disbelief?
    Uhmm...what? Sorry, not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    put shears back in the story so I can Pay2Win past this silliness.
    Tsk tsk tsk....didn't you know the shears are now found in the game? You just have to collect one of each type of ghostbane weapon, then combine them in an eldritch machine....

Seriously though, I don't see the big deal here. If you want to have the PL in that destiny, you need to run in that destiny. It sounds fair. If you don't want to run in that destiny, then I'm sure you will do just fine without that small increase in power.

And, unless I am severely mistaken, when I was on Lam with all destinies capped, I did my first ER, chose which destiny I wanted, reincarnated, and when I came back, I had full Karma in each sphere aside from the one I had chosen for reincarnation. I then stayed in the destiny I had reincarnated as, leveled to 28, and ER'ed again, choosing one of the destinies I had leveled up before my first ER. Worked fine. So, if nothing else, if you already did that grind in off destinies, you can run in your prefered destiny to cap, then just ER in one of the other destinies that you already capped. At least you'll get the one PL out of it.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

I don't know, I went with "play something else" for the most part and every month I come back to play and see if I will change my mind... I don't.

Once upon a time epic raids made me shake in my boots and I wanted to both build my character, gear and experience up to face said challenges. You could fail so hard, I remember it took months for some of us to attempt some epics.
    I remember being eager for those PL bonuses, making plans, etc. I remember desiring those DCs from past lives to hit the mark in epics. I remember my jaw dropping when playing next to multi-life wizards in epics. Their DCs and spell penetration lead to such mana efficiency... I was a **** healer at first but even I could keep parties alive in epics when such a caster was in party. I could even do damage as my skills were only called upon when lag ruined well laid plans. I wanted to be those dudes. Those PLs and their gear... I wanted it. I had wish-lists, desires, plans.

The new gear, the new epic system... the new destinies... they made all those PLs only something I would do cause I wanted to run a new life. And I'd only want to cause there was nothing left to do.

We used to run nightly raids. I used to log into this game every single day with plans, goals, hopes and aspirations. My friends are gone. My goals are gone. Epic elite doesn't feel like the challenge old epics used to be. It feels like a slug-fest of ridiculous "you can't use this, you can't do that" HP meatbags.

So yes. Not playing DDO is the only solution I saw. I keep hoping, I keep dreaming... But I have yet to see another option present itself. I don't want their current hamster wheel, there's only broccoli at the other end, no cheese.
    Or even bacon *daydreams*.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

Quote Originally Posted by Draxis View Post
    Not a troll - Just a ****.

And I had plenty of fun playing DDO before there ever were EDs.

I dunno, it's like heroic TRs. I HAAAATE playing a ranger, but LOOOVE playing an artificer. So I can either have NOT FUN and get my ranger PL feats to make my artificer more epic, or, you know, not. It takes some pain to earn what you want, and it always has. ETR is just a new form of pain.
    Pain for fun in an S&M club worth it.

Pain for fun in DDO not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    wow seriously? boohoo i don't want to play classes or spheres i dont like boo hoo. noooooeeeesssss. Can i tell you just to suck it up? Seriously there will always be a sphere or a class you will hate or your toon isnt good enough in. No one is forcing you to tr or epic tr or even iconic tr. don't like it DONT DO it. just enough with the child like whining. Then you're complaining about grinding welcome to MMO's or a game in general buddy. If you need to complain about a grind then these type of games are NOT for you.

No one is forcing you to play anything or anyone. I never minded tring and i also know its a huge grind in store for me. Why? its something i can play with toons and different ideas and builds. sure i get to play classes i dont like bard. yes i hate bard. yes i could avoid playing them if i want. yep does that mean i will do even all iconics. Just suck it up or move on to another game. you can't always have your way all the time.
    You enjoy TR for the sake of TR. I don't. I create alts if I want to do a different class. We're different breeds. I don't suck it up, I just stopped playing, come around to see if my old hamster wheel is back. It isn't.

I play games that have a longer and harder grind than DDO and even some of it is not needed... but they give me other incentives than "bragging rights" or "because I like it". Like... weapons actually LOOK cool and I might want a couple for that not just their amazing stats or extra abilities, etc.

It's a forum. I can whine all I want. And Turbine obviously didn't care about losing my money because they probably think like you... that I should suck it up. That is actually not how you make millions of dollars, telling your customers to suck it up. You make millions becoming clever at giving a wide array of people reasons to get on the hamster wheel. Because MMOs are hamster wheels, nobody can produce enough content to always be fresh. And the content lately has been hit and miss, some of it dreadfully gray and boring. DDO used to feel like every quest was an art, carefully crafted even if graphics were from back in the stone age. It has none of that feel anymore and its new improved "look" is nothing next to the games my powerbeast allows me to play. DDO should have stuck with what it did best.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

So the only argument in support of a dumb new system is "stop playing DDO?"

I can't wait to see the DDO Oracle reports 3 months from now, you might be right.
    i dunno know i actually like the system myself. i dont mind any of it. last thing i want someone saying is how unfair it is they must play a certain thing to get that ability. really? some people i know are looking forward to this. some aren't. no one can force a player to do something they don't want to do. look at people who have never tred. some think its not needed. that is their choice.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Play your main. Play an alt. Make your own fun. Troll the forums. Whatever floats your boat.

Right now I've got a Monday night static group where we're doing an untwinked-don't-split-the-party-one-and-done-on-elite which is a great change of pace from usual questing.

I've a couple of alts that I take out for a run when I feel the need or to help friends and guildies with what they're doing.

On Quijonn, I've got a few points of favour left to get, I'll run the new U20 quests on EE to top up the favour before ETRing and seeing how many Commendations of Valor you actually get on your way back to 28. I'll do a few Epic TR's, I'll do a few Iconic TR's. I'll do whatever amuses me at any given time.

If the only alternative you see is not playing the game then you need to think a bit harder. If you've done that and can't come up with anything that interests you then I'm not sure there's anything that I or anyone else can do to help you.

Community Member

unfun?

HTR your character in a divine (yes even a pally) farm all karma you need and ETR him, then HTR back in what you like problem solved..

Mindless grind over and over inan off destiny is unfun
    Active class playing that eventually cap your karma is not unfun

this game is easy... every single class/race with the right ED can beat all content, if played by a good player.
    and if you dont want EE well...its a cakewalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    While not really relevant to the discussion of ETR, I will continue the same focus I've had since '06. Playing this game to have fun in a social environment. I play this game for that reason, gaining power happens even without the conscious grind.

I get that people play this game for a variety of reasons, but to focus on only one aspect of the game will tire any enthusiasm.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post

I'll 2nd that motion. Best quote on the forums IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Njohrd View Post
    unfun?

HTR your character in a divine (yes even a pally) farm all karma you need and ETR him, then HTR back in what you like problem solved..

Mindless grind over and over inan off destiny is unfun
    Active class playing that eventually cap your karma is not unfun

this game is easy... every single class/race with the right ED can beat all content, if played by a good player.
    and if you don't want EE well...its a cakewalk
    Thing is I don't want to play any divine class (maybe a multi-classed paladin but then I wouldn't be happy at all in Sentinel) I want to play a build I like not something I don't like. And if that means I don't ever do a Divine ETR I wont, But what can I do.

This games nitche is in build diversity why cant I come up with a build that I think is cool and run it, in content that has a meaningful reward?

I want to enjoy the game not log in run two quests get board and log out.

90% of the quests I run are EE I don't feel like there is any challenge at all in EH.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draxis View Post
    So the viability of your build is completely dependent on one or two particular EDs? At the risk of earning a temp forum ban, it sounds like it's time for a ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-REROLL.

In all seriousness, you shouldn't design a build to be completely dependent on an ED until AFTER you've maxxed all your EDs and gotten all the ETRs you want.
    Strangely enough, my Wizard is largely dependent on his ability to cast spells. For some reason the EDs that involve punching and kicking my enemies or hitting them with pointed metal objects don't do all that much for me. Does that mean I need to ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-REROLL?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Tsk tsk tsk....didn't you know the shears are now found in the game? You just have to collect one of each type of ghostbane weapon, then combine them in an eldritch machine....
    Praise be to Ghostbane.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Strangely enough, my Wizard is largely dependent on his ability to cast spells. For some reason the EDs that involve punching and kicking my enemies or hitting them with pointed metal objects don't do all that much for me. Does that mean I need to ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-REROLL?
    If my gimp Wiz was doing just fine in Shadowdancer, I'm sure yours will be as well. My spell casting ability took a slight decline, but I survived.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I dunno, it's like heroic TRs. I HAAAATE playing a ranger, but LOOOVE playing an artificer. So I can either have NOT FUN and get my ranger PL feats to make my artificer more epic, or, you know, not. It takes some pain to earn what you want, and it always has. ETR is just a new form of pain.
    I'm cool with the idea of working toward a goal in a game, but I generally play games to have fun. If the fun work turns into painful work, then I'm not going to be spending my leisure time on it.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I'm cool with the idea of working toward a goal in a game, but I generally play games to have fun. If the fun work turns into painful work, then I'm not going to be spending my leisure time on it.
    Then the TR system just isn't for you. Don't worry, more content will be coming SOON™.

Leader of The Dark Creed

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast